What did you do to your mustang today

Many words - I know I should have taken pictures. Work on a cloudy day to wash the top , your top is black so will dry fast in the sun. Wet the car top and the whole car , spray cleaner on and use soft bristle brush - (horsehair ,Mustang,pony? Lol) to clean the top . You may have to do several times. Rinse well - rinse again - and again. Once top is dry - now the sun works for us it’s time for the protectant .

I spray the protectant when the car is inside the garage so I don’t have to worry about the wind.

I opened the car windows about 1” and released the top latches and put a 2” block to hold the roof open a bit and put some old blankets over the windshield / hood under the unlatched roof, through the side windows over the doors and across the trunk to keep the overspray off the rest of the car. I taped up the trim around the car / roof as well to allow me to get good coverage at the bottom . Spray light coats - alternate directions between coats, front to back, then side to side to get better coverage , let dry 15+ min between coats. I may have went a bit heavy as I just got 3 coats from the can .Clean the spray off the windows or trim before it dries each time . With the roof released the fabric is not tight to the trim so you can get the normally hidden places treated as well.
Gerry Wow thanks for the in depth write up. I did not realize how much prep hoes into it but I want to make sure everything is protected. I am sure the write up will help others as well.

Question above was if axle back should be considered instead of cat back.

Having covered that, I can also comment on Borla vs Magnaflow because I have both manufacturers between my two cars.
Magnaflow magnapack cat backs (wide open cylinder type mufflers) on 2006, discontinued but probably compare with competition series now.

Borla touring axle back on 2015.

True Magnaflow can probably be described as a bit more tame or less loud.
They sell a lot of either street or competition systems which are less loud options.
However they also make a race option for some cars.
I would not be surprised if that was close in loudness to Borla Atak.

On other hand, Borla is famous for S-Type and Atak series which are on louder end of scale.
This probably contributes to general characterization that Magnafliw is less loud than Borla.
But Borla make the touring option which is very civilized.
This probably compares well to street series Magnaflow.

Hence the importance of comparing apples to apples for sound or loudness level.
So street to touring, and competition to S-type and so on instead of generalizing between brands.

What I can attest to is that you will have some drone with Magnaflow.
Just how much a person is willing to put up with is a highly individualized issue, and could turn out to be expensive to find out.

On other hand, Borla is zero drone.
None whatsoever.

So if you don’t want drone and want to stay on lower level of loud, I would suggest Borla touring to be a very realistic option.
A bit more cost than Magnaflow street but for that cost you get zero drone.

Outside of such testimonials, Trevor’s advice on research is very true.
Listen to lots of clips. Try to find cars that have what you’re interested in and see if you can listen or take a ride.
I found CJ Pony videos with Bill very good because they control their videos and lend well to comparison.

Good luck with your decision.

Great points Marc. I will add one more to that if you are comparing exhausts make sure to compare the same model and year or at least motor type as what you will be installing them on. My car already had a set of Ford racing shorty headers on it when I bought it. For over 10 years now I have had magnaflow streets on my 01 2v 4.6 convertible and never noticed any annoying drone. I since added the Mach pro chamber and 4.10 gears and love the sound that much more. Convertible versus hard top will give the occupants a completly different sound. So that is an important factor.

That all being said exhaust is a personal choice that is hard to pick for someone else. As mentioned a few times in this thread, ask questions, watch videos and try to ride along with someone with similar setups as you have. Could save you lots of money....

Last edited:
Charlie....prep for my last top treatment. Saves a ton of overspray clean-up even if you're super careful.
View attachment 44966is the over spray cleanable ? I looked at a convertible yesterday and the guy said he just did the tip but there is over spay and smudge everywhere .. might buy it today but want to make sure it can be cleaned up ..sorry buts it's not a Mustang

Very happy with the new radio. I got it with a local guy to source the radio and he did the install. Also the windresrestrictor now is wired :)
More than I was approved to do by my CFO (wife)….but I’m hidding the invoice…

Attachments

• 90B6DDAA-5CDA-414B-B8EC-E821FE30791A.jpeg
    90B6DDAA-5CDA-414B-B8EC-E821FE30791A.jpeg
    428.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 63F48C68-FAB5-4192-B1EE-26108D568EF0.jpeg
    63F48C68-FAB5-4192-B1EE-26108D568EF0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • F9553140-0D8B-4624-AEB0-9D439EED1962.jpeg
    F9553140-0D8B-4624-AEB0-9D439EED1962.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Pulled the trigger and ordered the Corsa X Pipe Resonator delete for the car while I was waiting at the dealer for an oil change and the tire swap on my truck from the winters back to the BFG A/T's for summer.

I figure 8 - 10 weeks shipping is reasonable and expected at this point, which puts me into May or so..... this post will be my time stamp. lol

Well, quick update for my March 12 post....

Here we are 9 weeks later, still no word on my Corsa X pipe resonator delete, which is not entirely unexpected and not bothersome in the least.

Sent an email to my insurance agent to restore road coverage though, temperatures are looking in the mid teens for the next week and sunny.

Hoping to be on the road to legally drive during lockdown to get groceries this weekend. ;)

First up though, a spring wash and coat of Zaino.

Back