What did you do to your mustang today

After about a year of procrastination, i finally took my manifolds off.. and put the headers in. Driver side is all on, passenger is in but not on. In the garage until 12:30 last night but need a second set of hands to pry down the exhaust so I can line up the header to bolt it up.. studs all came out super easy, removing the manifolds from the car was a different story.. had to remove the starter and the steering shaft and both bottom engine mounts had to be unbolted so the motor could be raised..hopefully just another hour or two tonight and it'll be done..PXL_20210518_013715182.jpg
PXL_20210518_011646428.jpg

Crazy amount of work, I often wonder if easier to pull engine to do loll.
I am sure you will be happy with end results.
The thought crossed my mind last night about yanking the engine out. I'll tell you I would rather do the 5.4 l in my old F-150 again compared to this .. I just can't imagine paying shop rates for somebody to do that job for $700 ++ in just labor

Took a day off Wednesday and finished up last night.. don't feel like doing that again any time soon. The headers are wider and tubes are in the way of everything. Had to cut the 2 rear top studs on the passenger side to get them to pass a tube and thread in, the battery and tray also had to be removed to access them. Passenger side also covered the bottom engine mount which made it fun to bolt back down. Starter had to be removed to get the manifold out and header in. AC line on drivers side had to be pushed away from header , used SS zip ties to hold it to the inner fender as it was sitting on the header . Steering shaft had to be unbolted to remove manifold and put in header..all in all i think it was 6-7 hours to complete . Mustang is now quieter inside and deeper and louder outside, also i don't have my 1700-1900rpm drone .. so at the end I'm happy with the results..PXL_20210519_223022851.jpg

Well, renewed online registrations for both steeds on Thursday evening.

Insurance coverage reactivated Friday.

Batteries charged Saturday and 2015 backed out of garage to put summer tires on my daughter’s car after she returned home from school this week.

4760A2D1-7C58-4C81-9D23-C3E891CB701A.jpeg

Took 2006 for a run today.
Run documented on “local cruising places” thread.

Finally got around to installing the front Bilstein struts tonight. Poor mans alignment with laser ,rule , slide pads and a bit of math- should have -0.7deg on both sides and about 1mm of toe in (0.1deg ) . I’ll run for a week and the get the professionals to check it after things settle in. Maybe a road trip tomorrow

Finally got around to installing the front Bilstein struts tonight. Poor mans alignment with laser ,rule , slide pads and a bit of math- should have -0.7deg on both sides and about 1mm of toe in (0.1deg ) . I’ll run for a week and the get the professionals to check it after things settle in. Maybe a road trip tomorrow
Update - Short run into town, Lawrencetown beach area . Jackie agrees car is much better - the bumps are handled much better - with her back issues that’s a good thing!

Update - Short run into town, Lawrencetown beach area . Jackie agrees car is much better - the bumps are handled much better - with her back issues that’s a good thing!

Glad it worked out good for you Gerry.
I’ve long concluded that dampers are not a strong point on these cars.
The non PP or less stockers are barely adequate when new.
Result of getting total package pretty good bang for the buck I suppose.

Then you start playing with lowering springs and it’s not really that good.

Why I’m a big proponent of doing springs and dampers at same time on these cars.

Last edited:
Glad it worked out good for you Gerry.
I’ve long concluded that dampers are not a strong point on these cars.
The non PP or less stockers are barely adequate when new.
Result of getting total package pretty good bang for the buck I suppose.

Then you start playing with lowering springs and it’s not really that good.

Why I’m a big proponent of doing springs and dampers at same time on these cars.
I would agree, I went the lowering spring on stock struts/shocks originally - I lived with the results for several years - and learned it was false economy -buy the package - do it all at once and you will be happier . I was lucky and the labour cost was low on the second change out as I don’t have to pay myself.

I would agree, I went the lowering spring on stock struts/shocks originally - I lived with the results for several years - and learned it was false economy -buy the package - do it all at once and you will be happier . I was lucky and the labour cost was low on the second change out as I don’t have to pay myself.
So you are saying your cheap, question then becomes are you easy too? :ROFLMAO:

Back