Electric Vehicles

People ran out of fuel during that 12 hours too, but it is easier to refuel a vehicle that used a liquid fuel as opposed to electrons.

Right now I don’t see evs as a mature technology, similar to cars in the early 1900s. If one was just running around locally, eg Halifax they would work for my needs, but for towing. 33’ travel trailer to PEI I’ll stick with my GMC diesel 2500 HD

Back in the early 90’s my Dad filled his Jetta Turbo Diesel when he left Montreal, drove to our place in Shediac without stopping for fuel and only had to fill up the following day in Miramichi while out for à sightseeing drive.

He had a Small Parcel Delivery Service in Montreal and during the Coldest Winter Weather would Start Car around 7 AM and only shut it off when he got home late afternoon.

I fueled my Tdi in edmundston on the way home last Saturday and drove back and forth to work this week, finally filled up tonight @975 km on that tank.
My trip home from Quebec was an even 1000 k. Was one stop for fuel and a quick lunch, then back on the road - was home in 10 hrs total. With my coworkers Mach E we would have had to have traveled at 90k/h and recharged 3 times to get home with the cooler temperatures requiring some heat and use of lighting for night driving . Travel time would have increased to about 13 hrs if I could find a suitable working charger along the route at my first planned stops with no waiting for the charger availability.
Electric will get better -batteries will have more capacity and storage costs will become more reasonable in time. Hybrid might work for me but for now I’ll keep the VW oil burner lit

A friend in the UK has a fiat EV
there is a power shortage in the UK
so cost of charging at home quite reasonable.

But he met is wife for lunch and something close to our big stops.
charged car, they ate lunch, she filled up when done, difference in cost was only $10 USD
saving on EV, considering fiat to F-type jag SUV me thinks not good saving.

Remember folks, having only one power source, leaves you at thier mercy
if not now, some day, things that make you go hmmmmmm

How about this for a "green" electric vehicle. Uses a gas powered V6 onboard engine as a battery charger. About an 1,100 km range though, and cuts down the anxiety of not being able to get on at a Charging station. No doubt it will be very heavy, and very expensive.

I saw an article earlier about a new Toyota solid state battery capable of 750 miles and recharging in 10 mins.
If that comes to fruition then it will be a game changer.
I read a story, 20 year ago, said we would have palm trees in Nova Scotia now :)
is the truck bed filled with batteries ? recharge 10 minutes with what hooked up to it?
nuclear power plant :ROFLMAO:

How about this for a "green" electric vehicle. Uses a gas powered V6 onboard engine as a battery charger. About an 1,100 km range though, and cuts down the anxiety of not being able to get on at a Charging station. No doubt it will be very heavy, and very expensive.

The Audi eTron’s used in the last couple of Dakar’s have already perfected this and probably done a better job of it. 2ltr Quattro engine as a power plant to charge the batteries which then drive the electric motors for AWD. Has the advantage that you have massively less drivetrain and transmission components to worry about.

Back