Electric Vehicles

Ahh yes, an opinion article from a company (Postmedia owns the Toronto Sun) in bed with the Conservatives.

I am not a carbon tax supporter, nor am I a Trudeau supporter, but this nonsense "article" has zero facts backing up any of its claims. I feel more stupid just browsing my way through it. It might as well have been a National Enquirer article.

What nonsense.

Ahh yes, an opinion article from a company (Postmedia owns the Toronto Sun) in bed with the Conservatives.

I am not a carbon tax supporter, nor am I a Trudeau supporter, but this nonsense "article" has zero facts backing up any of its claims. I feel more stupid just browsing my way through it. It might as well have been a National Enquirer article.

What nonsense.
Ok, how about CNN? This is real.

At least the Reuters article makes sense:

"It does highlight that there could be a slowdown in EV (demand) in the near term," said Tom Narayan, global autos analyst at RBC Capital Markets. "But it has more to do with pricing and affordability than a rejection of EVs."

It's simply bad timing for EVs to emerge right on the heels of a pandemic, and then crazy inflation that followed.

That has nothing to do with people pissing on greener transportation to go running back to their $1.70/litre ICE car. But when it comes to putting supper on the table versus buying a new car (of any kind), people are going to eat first.

Personally, I used to trade my daily driver every 2 or 3 years... now? I've had the same daily driver for 5 years -and have no desire to buy anytime soon. I'm going to wait until interest rates come down to more affordable levels and likely yes, I'll be purchasing an EV. I'm tired of shelling out money to banks and big oil.

Anyways, that original article (Toronto Sun) was complete Conservative propaganda and not anywhere near fact.

At least the Reuters article makes sense:

"It does highlight that there could be a slowdown in EV (demand) in the near term," said Tom Narayan, global autos analyst at RBC Capital Markets. "But it has more to do with pricing and affordability than a rejection of EVs."

It's simply bad timing for EVs to emerge right on the heels of a pandemic, and then crazy inflation that followed.

That has nothing to do with people pissing on greener transportation to go running back to their $1.70/litre ICE car. But when it comes to putting supper on the table versus buying a new car (of any kind), people are going to eat first.

Personally, I used to trade my daily driver every 2 or 3 years... now? I've had the same daily driver for 5 years -and have no desire to buy anytime soon. I'm going to wait until interest rates come down to more affordable levels and likely yes, I'll be purchasing an EV. I'm tired of shelling out money to banks and big oil.

Anyways, that original article (Toronto Sun) was complete Conservative propaganda and not anywhere near fact.

Price and Range Anxiety is what’s keeping me away from all Electric.

Our AWD 2022 Impreza cost $30,000 all in.

An Electric AWD Vehicle with the Biggest Battery for extended Range at the lower end of the Price Point is double that.

We have put 22,000 kilometres on our 2022 since April 2022, with a 2 L engine price of gas isn’t a Factor as I doubt we will spend $30,000 in gas, the difference in Price over the next few decades.

Price and Range Anxiety is what’s keeping me away from all Electric.

Our AWD 2022 Impreza cost $30,000 all in.

An Electric AWD Vehicle with the Biggest Battery for extended Range at the lower end of the Price Point is double that.

We have put 22,000 kilometres on our 2022 since April 2022, with a 2 L engine price of gas isn’t a Factor as I doubt we will spend $30,000 in gas, the difference in Price over the next few decades.
Right on.

Not to mention the subsidies our tax dollars are paying for.
A new EV bought today in NB makes one eligible to $10,000.00 in subsidies.
I’m not sure I want my tax dollars used like that, on top of the carbon tax.

The grid dosent have capacity right now.
AC’s cause blackout in summer on east coast and California. Imagine charging a bunch of cars on top of that.

And the grid is not green enough yet.
EV’s are a feel good technology right now, but a hypocritical one at that.

Emissions are still being produced but they are coming out of a stack somewhere else rather than one’s tailpipe.
You don’t have to go far. In NB.
Cloelson cove and Belledune burn fossils.

And then all the energy and fossils expended to mine the ores and produce the batteries.

You have to be living in a vacuum to believe EV’s are making a difference today.

Not to mention the subsidies our tax dollars are paying for.
A new EV bought today in NB makes one eligible to $10,000.00 in subsidies.
I’m not sure I want my tax dollars used like that, on top of the carbon tax.

The grid dosent have capacity right now.
AC’s cause blackout in summer on east coast and California. Imagine charging a bunch of cars on top of that.

And the grid is not green enough yet.
EV’s are a feel good technology right now, but a hypocritical one at that.

Emissions are still being produced but they are coming out of a stack somewhere else rather than one’s tailpipe.
You don’t have to go far. In NB.
Cloelson cove and Belledune burn fossils.

And then all the energy and fossils expended to mine the ores and produce the batteries.

You have to be living in a vacuum to believe EV’s are making a difference today.
I agree 100%.

66% of the world's electricity comes from fossil fuels. The lithium mines are using child labour in third world countries and the actual mining of lithium and cobalt creates a massive amount of CO2.

I agree 100%.

66% of the world's electricity comes from fossil fuels. The lithium mines are using child labour in third world countries and the actual mining of lithium and cobalt creates a massive amount of CO2.

Lithium mostly comes from Australia, South America with some production here in Canada and isn’t normally produced by child labour, Cobalt however comes from The Congo where unsafe mining practices including child labour are widespread.
The mining of lithium and cobalt tends to produce less CO2 than fossil fuels but can be still quite harmful to the environment.

Lithium mostly comes from Australia, South America with some production here in Canada and isn’t normally produced by child labour, Cobalt however comes from The Congo where unsafe mining practices including child labour are widespread.
The mining of lithium and cobalt tends to produce less CO2 than fossil fuels but can be still quite harmful to the environment.
The problem with all this is they never compare apples to apples. An ICE can last for 20 years or more. An EV will be going through a second set of batteries in that time. That's twice the amount of carbon produced. As well, who in their right mind would buy a 10 year old EV? The economics, for me, aren't there.

Nova Scotia uses coal or buncker C oil to produce its power,
yes more electric will help :ROFLMAO:
on top of that most people still running 60 to 100 amp service in thier homes,
no EV charges for you. After all is said and done, even if power was cleaner they
could not produce required amount, if half the folks switched,

we have supply issues, clean electricity issues, long before we need the product,
cart before horse comes to mind.
But it is a great sound bite, even if not true.
Folks need to wake up and realize this is very political

So much needs to be done right, before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Back