Crazy Weather events in your area

Still no power in Cornwall, just outside of Charlottetown, but have generator and lots of gas. Mustang tucked safely in garage. Very grateful to have not sustained any meaningful damage. Just got some data back on the phone today. no home phone, internet, cell phone the past few days. Lots of houses with compromised roofs and other serious damage. Very grateful.

Thanks Aaron, this afternoon I started getting some signal on my Eastlink phone, enough that I have some slow internet at times that I can hotspot to my iPad. All in all, very grateful for how lucky we were and how we made out. Glad the Cornwall Esso remained open and over several occasions spent about 3 hours total lined up for gas. Do you have power yet. Still no power on near here as of 10 pm tonight, but the generator is running.

Day 7 begins….. gen is humming the neighborhood awake….like those gas guzzling b..tards running theirs overbite til they ran dry. A thing I learned on day 2,3,4 maybe…is there’s nothing louder than a generator running that isn’t yours! Coffee run to the elderly neighbours is underway. Learned on day 6 that getting them to leave insulated mugs and thermos left on front steps make the “ door dash” coffee run go quicker. Getting them just to wave so I know they made it through another night. Chatting on the street mid morning seems to go quicker.

Tree service supposed to be here next week, haven’t heard from adjustor yet, so today seems open. Have fuel, Mustang still in the storage bunker til trees are cleared. Nowhere interesting left to cruise anymore….so a round of golf later.

Optimistic enough to think power might come back on that I walked my co-pilot through shutting down gen and switching back to power grid. Serious thoughts of a whole home auto start system for her birthday present. Might need to wrap the propane tanks in Christmas wrapping paper for her too.

Fiona sure brings thoughts to what folks in south Florida are going through now….and what others face with with tropical storms as a regular thing. Is there an Amish school where we can learn to survive offline?!!

Day 8 started. 5:45 am gen check and start. A beautiful sound knowing coffee is now 11minutes away. Cleanup plan for first of week in place. Trailer drop off tomorrow am, then fill and dump at debris drop off site. Once roof is cleared, Mustang can come home. Hope that’s for next weekend.

Logistic changes in coffee run to neighbours cut 20 min of convo time and 11 minutes in production. Past Lean 6 training coming back. May be reconsidering my retirement and broaden consulting to efficiency assessment and process re-redesign. Martin….maybe we need to meet up for that coffee….in NB….it’s a mess here. Connected with Jason by text & finding that misery doesn’t love company….it loves miserable company…. Can’t help him get a tree removal service any more quickly but can get him to front of the line for pest management!

Golf again today. Moved too many neighbor trees yesterday, but have a great line on free hardwood for anybody looking for wood for heating or to keep their woodchuck busy!

Fingers crossed for power today but have 2 more days of fuel if I get disappointed again today. BBQing a prime rib roast later still is a possibility. Tenderloin last night. Eating better than when the world was connected.

Hang in there, those still battling NS Power and Maritime Electric! These line crews are saviours. Please treat them with respect and gratitude. These guys aren’t home cleaning their own yards and grilling for families.

Hoping for a later update with no gen running in the background.

Aaron, we got power back on about 8 pm last night. Was very grateful to have generators and sufficient gas, as well as no real damage, and no trees on the property to fall, as it is a fairly new subdivision. Offered to do drone roof inspections in my subdivision for free on the community Facebook page, and have done 3 today. Spent several hours helping a neighbor replace a lot of the siding on one end of his house. The siding he ordered came in this morning - for whatever reason, I find installing siding almost therapeutic. Very grateful for how I made out - Mustang was safely in the garage and 99% of the marks on my CRV from flying siding striking it have buffed out. One of the fees times ”That’ll buff right out” was correct. Hope you get the power back on soon.

Sounds good, Kevin.
If you’re looking for some flight time, you’re welcome to com in this direction for a look. Tree still safely rooted on my roof. Gen running and burning more fuel than my 5.0 on the New Hampshire run trying to keep up with Glenn!

I have some dated drone video of my place and the surrounding area from 3-4 years ago. Might be nice to have a comparison for insurance adjustor and for the Town when I chase them for cleanup.

Word in the neighborhood here is Sunday nite might be a stretch but possible. Monday more realistic. I’ve given myself a Tuesday re-connection date…then I might start getting cranky!

Day NINE of the Long Haul Fiona Virus...I mean power outage begins. Walmart run for clean underwear last evening. Was losing track of which pairs were already worn inside out!

FaceTimed with Florida friends last nite and realize out problems are small. A 3600 string of power crews staged in Ocala and were working south as travel lanes cleared out. Makes the 200 crews here seems small, but also suggests the already sparse supply chain for electrical supplies won't get any better for product coming out of the US.

Hearing there will be still utility customers without power for likely more than a week. Sure am glad I confirmed I've been retired 2 years tomorrow. Feeling for folks working the strings deal with this disaster response and recovery. After a certain amount of time has passed, moving heaven and earth isn't good enough for some who are hit hard by this storm. Brighter days ahead!

Hopefully, the next update isn't from a dark corner of rhe house!

Sounds good, Kevin.
If you’re looking for some flight time, you’re welcome to com in this direction for a look. Tree still safely rooted on my roof. Gen running and burning more fuel than my 5.0 on the New Hampshire run trying to keep up with Glenn!

I have some dated drone video of my place and the surrounding area from 3-4 years ago. Might be nice to have a comparison for insurance adjustor and for the Town when I chase them for cleanup.

Word in the neighborhood here is Sunday nite might be a stretch but possible. Monday more realistic. I’ve given myself a Tuesday re-connection date…then I might start getting cranky!
Aaron, I will drop out later on this morning with the drone.

So, at 19:15 of Day 10 power has been restored to our block. Still 18,000 or so in the dark & many in old Charlottetown in the same boat. This is going to be an extended haul to get to the other side.

Tree service expects to tackle the removal possibly Wednesday, or Thursday. Then a more complete damage assessment can be done. If all goes according to plan, I may get the Mustang out by the weekend for a final run before winter storage.

The line crews, electrical vegetation management crews, many from out of province, along with the construction companies with dump trucks and excavator operators have been going non stop. These guys & gals likely haven't had a chance to take care of their own properties and definitely haven't spent much time home with families. Thankful for their commitment! Any stories, Chris (Widebody GT)??DJI_0959.JPG

Many thanks to KBStang for the drone work! We've seen his great work hovering over a corral of Mustangs.

So, at 19:15 of Day 10 power has been restored to our block. Still 18,000 or so in the dark & many in old Charlottetown in the same boat. This is going to be an extended haul to get to the other side.

Tree service expects to tackle the removal possibly Wednesday, or Thursday. Then a more complete damage assessment can be done. If all goes according to plan, I may get the Mustang out by the weekend for a final run before winter storage.

The line crews, electrical vegetation management crews, many from out of province, along with the construction companies with dump trucks and excavator operators have been going non stop. These guys & gals likely haven't had a chance to take care of their own properties and definitely haven't spent much time home with families. Thankful for their commitment! Any stories, Chris (Widebody GT)??

Many thanks to KBStang for the drone work! We've seen his great work hovering over a corral of Mustangs.
That's one big tree. At least there is none of that one left to come down in the future. I took the Mustang out for a run today with the roof down - first time in about 2 weeks, a little cool, but was great to get out for a drive.

Restoration guys were by this am to assess property. Tree not coming down til tomorrow.
People are now getting crusty. Maritime Electric had to call police to remove some unhappy utility customers from a worksite yesterday. Some won't see power for another couple of weeks.

Anybody have any up front details on how things are going in CB?

This is not on crews, its all about Utility management
They reap big profits and do little to upgrade equipment
or prepare for this kinda of crap.

You can bet in a couple of months they will all be asking for increase to our electric bills to pay for this.
Same ole crap. time for someone to be accountable. Do not blame the guy up the pole, he will agree with this.
They are working there butts off for the people because there bosses and share holders are greedy pieces of @*$%
take them a coffee or atleast say thank you, they are not home with there families tonight.

Back