Snow Removal

I have to say Charlie that your rig looks like it just got out or the factory, whoever had it before must have treated it like it was his favorite toy ? When I was looking around for one a few years ago the first thing that would jump out at me with John Deere units is the condition of that yellow seat, most were really dirty and banged up even with few hours on the clock. Yours's is just like brand new so that tractor was well cared for I would say !!

I have to say Charlie that your rig looks like it just got out or the factory, whoever had it before must have treated it like it was his favorite toy ? When I was looking around for one a few years ago the first thing that would jump out at me with John Deere units is the condition of that yellow seat, most were really dirty and banged up even with few hours on the clock. Yours's is just like brand new so that tractor was well cared for I would say !!
Roger,

Yes asside from the normal scratches and such from the 3 years of use it appears to be very well taken care off. The sales guy at Bremnars said this guys was fussy. He is a sheet metal worker by trade. I am not going to lie. I had a good foundation to start with. Just detailed it from there. Will get even better if I pull the cab off in the spring. Those yellow seats are hard to keep clean and I agree this one is mint. I should have a tractor for plenty years as long as I keep it going maintenance wise.

Ok, so I live in the country on a hilltop in what used to be a hay field.
Beautiful view of valley behind house.
Nice breeze in summer to moderate temps and keep mosquitos somewhat under control.
Beautiful sky at night for star gazing when around the fire pit.
Occasionally see northern lights.
By all accounts a nice place.

But in winter, the wind rules all.
Like today 30km gusting to 50km all day.
So all the snow I cleared from the drive was blown back in along edges and around house.
In front of garage doors and in the entrance through a tree plantation.

Here’s a few examples of wind almost swallowing up car.

BB4F6FAB-519A-46EF-ABBE-5F2FF86EAB63.jpeg

94D42C42-46F1-4CBF-9C69-7C5691463180.jpeg

Years ago, before I got the tractor, and even the first year I had it, I used to clear snow along the driveway edge with the push snowblower and the tractor blower.

That created a flat wall that just kept getting higher and caused more severe drifting as it got taller.

Before the tractor, I had to break down the drifts with a shovel to manage them with the blower they were so tall.
I’m sorry to say it would have been similar story with small ride-on blowers as posted already because height of blower is limiting factor.

It was a losing battle.
Wind always prevails.

2626B96A-F90A-4983-9B97-690F74772440.jpeg

BF741294-F70D-4727-A49B-F60A3B954874.jpeg

E69DB2C6-CB82-4289-83AB-391D6E28E23E.jpeg

Then second season of owning tractor, I slowed things down and thought of how I could do things differently to minimize impact of wind.

First thought was snow fencing.
Then I broadened my train of thought and wondered why not a snow barrier?
A tall snow barrier.
Like a castle wall or something.
Set back away from the edge of the driveway.
I estimated it would break things up, and at least eliminate that square wall from the edge of the driveway.
Surely any drifting then would be ground level instead of 4-5 feet tall.
With the tractor, I had the tool to fo that.
I tried it and it worked great.
Now I do it every winter.

73F08678-2980-4D4E-8794-BB41FC03A518.jpeg

197BF56B-6270-4BD3-8F0E-75ECB14F75E3.jpeg

40E1DBFD-73B7-4B2A-9FF0-2708AC237323.jpeg

Once there is enough snow to work with the barrier goes up 8-10 feet tall and pushed back from edge of driveway 15 feet or so and on the west side.
It breaks up the dominant northwest wind and reduces tall drifts in driveway.

It is the best reason to own the tractor.

Then second season of owning tractor, I slowed things down and thought of how I could do things differently to minimize impact of wind.

First thought was snow fencing.
Then I broadened my train of thought and wondered why not a snow barrier?
A tall snow barrier.
Like a castle wall or something.
Set back away from the edge of the driveway.
I estimated it would break things up, and at least eliminate that square wall from the edge of the driveway.
Surely any drifting then would be ground level instead of 4-5 feet tall.
With the tractor, I had the tool to fo that.
I tried it and it worked great.
Now I do it every winter.

View attachment 42264

View attachment 42265

View attachment 42266
My dad was a snowplow operator running a Cat 966 with a v plow. I remember him going into fields in some of the sections of his run to do something similar to this. He never felt snow fencing did much, especially where side roads plugged up.

Back