Snow Removal

Well I popped into princess auto. They had some Alpena lights on sale. Regular 34.99 each for 17.00 each. Going to give them a whirl. Need to get them wired up.

Also got me a Spinner. I hear they are really helpful. Especially when snownlowing. Never had one before. View attachment 42238View attachment 42239
I've had them on my wheeler and now most of my friends have them on their side x sides .. work well for the sale price at PA...

Hey Guys,

I know a few of you do your own snow removal and have actually shared your pictures and experience with certain brands of tractors and blowers. Show us what you have for gear we would love to see what you play in the snow with.

I will start. So I have had the same guy doing my snow removal for the lst 10 years. He was retired and did ours and a few others. This year he finally decided he was just going to do his on no set schedule. I can’t say I blame him. So the hunt for another company to do it started. Having 180 driveway with a turnaround the prices where coming in at 600-800 per season. Talked it over with the boss and decided why not invest in something newer to mow the lawn and clean the driveway with. I Currently used a John Deere L130. So the search began. I found a 2017 John Deere X580 Complete with a 42" cutting deck, 47" Snowblower and winter cab. Bremner Farms In Dalhousie had it. They delivered it on Friday. Super happy with our purchase and look forward to trying it out.

View attachment 42199View attachment 42200View attachment 42201View attachment 42202View attachment 42203
Very very similar to my setup Charlie, I have the X500 with a 44” snow blower and a 48” mowing deck. Btw, yours is a 48” mowing deck as well, looking at the pictures.

I also have the winter cab, so I was interested to see that yours has a wiper for the front, interesting addition.

one thing I found is that the headlights are blocked by the blower, so added some lights on the hood, see photos.

Attachments

• 96911781-BEC4-4F88-8AC3-388A6E1A5063.jpeg
    96911781-BEC4-4F88-8AC3-388A6E1A5063.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 5C0BB5DE-B46E-47D2-8D91-575B41F4598B.jpeg
    5C0BB5DE-B46E-47D2-8D91-575B41F4598B.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 16
Yeah Roger I hear lots of people install them on their rigs. Not sure what Trevor finds so humorous. Lol its called a Spinner. Even says so on the package.bitni am sure he is going somewhere else with it. Haha

Nice setup Martin. Yes I have rhe 48" deck as well. How do you find it works?
Like what you did with the lights. Got mine mounted tonight. Still need to figure out wiring as I will have to cut the enclosure and I want to use something that will seal it properly. I know I will probaly need to remove them to take the cab off. I was hoping not too but I don't know if I can remove the cab without taking the tarp off. I have never removed it yet. I also like how your cab fits. I have a gap at the back of the door. Not sure why. Something Must not be right. Need to investigate.

Yeah Roger I hear lots of people install them on their rigs. Not sure what Trevor finds so humorous. Lol its called a Spinner. Even says so on the package.bitni am sure he is going somewhere else with it. Haha

Nice setup Martin. Yes I have rhe 48" deck as well. How do you find it works?
Like what you did with the lights. Got mine mounted tonight. Still need to figure out wiring as I will have to cut the enclosure and I want to use something that will seal it properly. I know I will probaly need to remove them to take the cab off. I was hoping not too but I don't know if I can remove the cab without taking the tarp off. I have never removed it yet. I also like how your cab fits. I have a gap at the back of the door. Not sure why. Something Must not be right. Need to investigate.
I did debate cutting and mounting lights higher but decided against it to maintain the integrity. I keep my cab and cover on year round and just remove the door, and partially fold down the zipped around window the other side. Gives you a bit of a sun shade that way and is a lot less hassle.

Mowing deck works really well, although on mine the inches of height adjustment it reckons on the dial inside does not translate very well to the physical length of cut, but apart from that.

I humbly present my fun in the snow machine. 1989 F150 6 cyl manual. Fisher 8 foot fully hydraulic. Picked up 14 years ago for $2,500. Pretty much after adding the plow lights and one new battery, the only thing else is gas. After 5 minutes of running in the winter the cab is super warm for the whole plowing event. Couple of passes down the driveway over to the neighbor where they have a handy round-about driveway, and back I am done. Tennis balls on the wipers are not just for effect. They keep the wipers off the glass so they do not freeze to it between runs.
Plow.jpg

I did debate cutting and mounting lights higher but decided against it to maintain the integrity. I keep my cab and cover on year round and just remove the door, and partially fold down the zipped around window the other side. Gives you a bit of a sun shade that way and is a lot less hassle.

Mowing deck works really well, although on mine the inches of height adjustment it reckons on the dial inside does not translate very well to the physical length of cut, but apart from that.

I never thought of leaving it on. Makes sense. I would have thought it would be to warm but the sun shade makes perfect sense and less hassle for sure. The cutting lwnght adjustments never seem to be a true representation.

I can't wait to see how it blows that snow.

+1 on the spinner, so much easier to use than the steering wheel.

+1 on removing the doors for summer as well, the shade helps.

Used to take at least an hour to cut my grass with the push mower, with the Deere, I'm lucky if its 15 minutes, but primarily bought it to blow out the driveway.

Mounted my spare garage door opener on the dash with two sided tape, no point in filling the garage with snow while you're out, plus you don't have to get out to close the door.

IMG_2047.jpeg

+1 on the spinner, so much easier to use than the steering wheel.

+1 on removing the doors for summer as well, the shade helps.

Used to take at least an hour to cut my grass with the push mower, with the Deere, I'm lucky if its 15 minutes, but primarily bought it to blow out the driveway.

Mounted my spare garage door opener on the dash with two sided tape, no point in filling the garage with snow while you're out, plus you don't have to get out to close the door.

View attachment 42252
Awesome. Glad I invested in one. I also mounted my garage door opener with Velcro on the the dash this weekend. Might as well go completly lazy. Haha

Back