Mustang Trivia.

Yes gen 3 got a slight increase in displacement of about 84 cc’s.

Not because of heads though.
It was achieved by replacing the iron cylinder sleeves with wire arc plasma transfer.

This same technology was first used to make the 5.4 Shelby GT500 engine into a 5.8 engine in 2013.

It is also being used in the current 5.2 Shelby mills, allowing to make a larger displacement engine out of the same block as the 5.0.

Your turn.

Yes gen 3 got a slight increase in displacement of about 84 cc’s.

Not because of heads though.
It was achieved by replacing the iron cylinder sleeves with wire arc plasma transfer.

This same technology was first used to make the 5.4 Shelby GT500 engine into a 5.8 engine in 2013.

It is also being used in the current 5.2 Shelby mills, allowing to make a larger displacement engine out of the same block as the 5.0.

Your turn.
I was only half right,
I wonder if I should post half of a question

You’re right Trevor.
Probably too easy of a question but I thought using the pictures would be a nice change

This particular example is a 1997.
I took these pictures Friday afternoon.
It belongs to my cousin who owns the dealerships.

That might be right about non Ford parts.
I took a pic of the engine bay.
It’s a 2.5L 24 valve V6 and the first thing I thought of when I saw it is how it reminded me of the Yamaha engine in the old Thunderbirds.

98D9B298-BF53-413B-89A2-0EA2312A6718.jpeg

The name plate on trunk to confirm what it is.

9DA46A02-954C-44AD-A6C0-934CB5D6C004.jpeg

I know, it’s like there’s just the two of us playing.

We now know we’re on generation 3 of the current 5.0 engine.

What generation of the three does the Boss 302 engine belong to and what is it’s name to set it apart from the Coyote name?
Bonus points for stating it’s rated power output?

I had to go do some reading for this one

I’m confused on generation , I think gen 1
I see Ford and Chrysler got names shared - mixed up -
The Road Runner - was the internal name. I was surprised to read about the oil jets being removed and the oil cooler staying. Lots of hp with 444 - torque down by 10 to 380 lb/ft
Only the block is the same, everything else changes to get there !

Yes it was gen 1.
Gen 1 spans 2011 to 2014. 4 years.
Boss lived in 2012 and 2013.

It is called the Roadrunner, because, if you know the loonie toons cartoons, only the Roadrunner can outrun the Wylie Coyote.

Correct on the hp at 444.
It was the top power 5.0 until gen 3 in 2018 with 460.
When it was introduced, the Coyote was just being revised to make 420 hp, up from 412 the year before, so it made a still significant 24 hp more.

You are also correct that torque was down 10 ft/lbs to 380 from 390.
The main reason for the down torque is the intake manifold used on the Boss.
It is an open plenum, short runner intake, efficient at making high rpm hp, but the tradeoff is the loss of low end torque.
One of the main components allowing the Roadrunner to make that higher hp number is the intake in combination with its ability to rev higher than the Coyote 5.0.
The Coyote rev limit was 6500 but the Roadrunner’s was 7500, 1000 rpm more

Next question.

Back