Mustang Trivia.

It should be right.
That’s what I found when I looked it up.
Before I looked, I was guessing around 6 million.

They hit the 1 million during the 1966 run.
That was pretty quick considering 64 was a short run.

We’ve seen so far that the 5.0 family has at least two named variants.
The Coyote is the base engine in the GT.
Then we learned about the Roadrunner found in the Boss 302.

So, what is the name of the variant found in the GT350 and GT359R?
Bonus for knowing its power rating?

Trevor, maybe you should hold off a day to let others try.

Yes, 526 hp.
Any doubt Trevor would get it?

A bit of background on the Voodoo name.
The Ford engineers basically named it so because in a way, within the automotive world, it’s a bit of black magic.

Early on in the development, the Ford engineers decided to benchmark Ferrari flat pkane crank V8’s to map their progress.

Ferrari has been producing, racing and marketing flat plane crank V8’s for quite a while and in a way can be considered leaders in the technology.

However, the largest displacement mass marketable flat plane crank V8 that the Italian automaker had been able to produce up to the point Ford developed the Voodoo had been a 4.5 litre V8.

The reason is that, although flat plane cranks are lighter and they can rev quicker and to higher rpms, they are prone to vibration in larger displacement engines.
So to keep mass market flat plane V8’s to a safe and vibration free displacement, Ferrari had kept their offerings to a 4.5 litre displacement limit.

The magical part, or the feather in Ford engineers’ hats, is that they developed and were able to mass market a 5.2 litre flat plane crank V8 when Ferrari had not been able to.

The Ford engine does everything flat plane crank engines are known for.
The opposed connecting rod journals make it inherently balanced so it does not require counterweights found on cross plane crank shafts.
As a result it revs quickly and to higher rpms for fast acceleration and high rpm horsepower.
The beauty of the Ford engine is that it does not suffer from excess vibration for it’s displacement.
That is the magic and why the name Voodoo was, appropriately chosen.

Your turn Gerry.

I will add to the story. Most car companies have avoided the flat plane crank
because of the vibrations and inherent troubles this causes.
Even ferrari produces this engine in small numbers.
I beleive only one other street car in the world has a flat plane crank engine.
It is not a regular production car.

Ford is the only one to mass produce, they had plenty of issues solving the vibration
and at one point were considreing scrapping the engine.
The design is mostly used in racing applications, because of its ability to produce big
power with high RPM'S with life lenght not being big issue.
Ford spent months sovling the vibration issue..

Not sure if they still do this, but when I bought the car they would not give you an extended warranty.
many believe because of the engine.

Back