Maritime mini runs.

Mini run part 1 – Getting to the start line.

The journey to and from the fall run was part of the experience and we are glad the run went ahead. It allowed us to find new places along the way and maybe a shot or two looks like a place for others to go if not from the area. Even though I lived in NB for 8 years in the 80’s, Northern NB was not a place I went often and if I did, it was just up and back without stops.

In this set the 134 route offered a few spots to stop of which all were new to us.

In Shediac, the first stop was to let a slightly larger than us vehicle pass by. Almost able to drive under him.
HighTruck.JPG

Stopped after the Shediac Bridge to take a look back.
ShediacBridge2500.JPG

While moving along in Cocagne, the curve of the bridge seemed to flow nice with the coupe so stopped at a parking lot across the water.
Cocagne2500.JPG

I always heard Bouctouche was a nice place to visit and it sure was. Took a few shots there but of course the first thing you see going North is the church so it will be my post.
Bouctouche2000.JPG

A look back on another bridge in Rexton. Has that coupe curve look also.
RextonBridge2500.JPG

In Rexton the photo I like the most in this set, as it is unique, is “The Masts”. (link included)
RextonShip2500.JPG

After the run we went on to Campbellton the next day and it was a great drive. Stay tuned as I sort the photos…

Mini run part 2 – Bathurst to Fredericton via Campbellton

We left Sunday morning under clear skies and smooth (empty) roads and headed north. Along the way the Belledune power plant certainly stood out. It provided a backdrop to this shot.
Belledune2500.JPG

The Saint-François-Xavier church with open steeples in Charlo set the stage for the next stop.
CharloChurch2500.JPG

Then as we drove down the road no more than a minute we stopped at the Charlo beach. You need to imagine full sun, no wind, 26 degrees celcius and only 7 people on the whole beach! Well actually you don’t. Here is the shot. Needless to say we stayed for quite a while and took some effort to want to move on. But we did.
CharloBeach2500.JPG

In Campbellton there were even less people than the beach! Maybe 2-3 cars downtown by the waterfront in the afternoon. The odd person walking a dog but otherwise empty. We could take photos from anywhere on the road, park in the wrong direction to get the sun facing the car front by the big salmon, and no fear of any people walking into the shot. It is a place I once visited while in the military but at the time it was -40 with the wind chill. Not the same. I could not pick one photo of the many so here are 2. Campbellton was a really nice stop and if we do our own tour again I will most likely make it the overnight stop.
Camp2500Bridge.JPG

Bonus pic
Camp2500Water.JPG

Took the 17 down to Kedgwick. They have a display which includes a WW2 Ford F15 with Ford Canada stamped on the front. More info.
KedgwickF15-2500.JPG

Last year we went down to Saint Leonard so this year we decided to take the Appalachian Range Route by Mount Carleton. It was a nice drive but the roads were not great and some areas freshly top coated. Colors were not started in the trees yet so more of a late summer scene. Otherwise OK.

Before taking the main highway back to “Fred Town” we stopped in Bath for a river shot. Again beautiful.
Bath2500.JPG

Part 3 will be Mondays trip to Southern NB and two stops on the way home Tuesday in one post.

Mini run part 3 – Whew! I promise this is it for now.

So here it is. Day 5 of the mini runs for those who have not fallen asleep or got tired of seeing the same ruby red Mustang in almost every pic.

Monday morning we left Fredericton taking the old number 3 route then the 4 down to McAdam to the train station. At the station there was a couple of other people there for a few minutes, then just us. We had a long chat with the hosts who were super friendly and got plenty of ideas for our next visit to other areas. Also got to take the car into the back yard and snap some shots with the building including box cars, steel rails in the shot, and other railroad gear. Here is a typical shot of the station one would take.
McAdam2500.JPG

And one out back.
McAdamBack2000.JPG

Then we headed towards Saint Croix and just before turned left on the 630 to Saint Stephen which changed to the 3. Just before Saint Stephen at Dennis-Weston we turned on the Maxwell Crossing road for the first covered bridge. Recommended by the host in McAdam as they lived in the house at the other end for a while. Here is that shot and Street View link
Maxwell1953.JPG

We then did some back road driving back up to the Mactaquac dam (no pics – lots online ha ha) and back to Fredericton from the north side.

Tuesday we left for the Fundy park. Number 2 Highway up to Coles Island where we took the 10 to Sussex. There was a covered bridge there on Starkey Rd. but it was seriously out of commission and could not get close. It was funny when we stopped to check it out, a lady came out and asked “Are you here to fix our bridge?”. Not sure how many Dept of Transport vehicles are red Mustangs in NB. However, even though fall has not arrived yet one tree was near it with plenty of red tips so it made a cool shot.
RedTopTree2500.JPG

Headed for the Fundy park. I saw some other shots posted on what looked like a different location than this one. Was planning to go the shore route after Alma so here is that one.
Fundy2500.JPG

NOTE for going to Cape Enrage: For those not from the area the shore route is rough but tolerable. The section to be aware of this year is when you turn off to Cape Enrage. As we went along we saw the Tar and Rocks signs but nothing was changing. Still just a patched road. When we got to the end at Cape Enrage the Tar truck was just coming up the hill from the lighthouse parking lot and the gravel truck behind about to start laying the new road from the lighthouse back to the main highway. Well. 2 quick pictures and we were out of there. This is not the fall to travel that road in any car of value.

We joined back onto the 114 main route which came from the park towards Moncton and shortly after found the Sawmill Creek Covered Bridge was there. It has very nice photo ops. Just the bridge or about 200 meters away there is the old road lined with Birch on both sides. When the leaves turn it will be nice for sure but was cool anyway. Here is that shot and Street View Link
SawmillBridge2500.JPG

Then the rest was getting home. Odometer reading after parking in the basement.
Dash.JPG

In Fredericton I had taken a photo of a squirrel. I assume if I told it the story of our mini runs this would be the thought it would have.
Nuts.JPG

Great pics Mike and cool that you came up to visit my own back yard. Glad you enjoyed it !!

Campbellton is usually quite busy but many are taking a step back during these hard times I guess ?? Charlo beach was mostly booming this summer and they have one of the best take out restaurant around right where you were, it is run by a real chef so a real busy spot.
Cottages in the background is where some of you stayed when we did the Gaspe run a few years ago.

Thanks for some great pics and write up, could be inspiration for future runs,
some incredible places, you have a great eye for photos.
I echo the others thoughts, we never get tired of Mustang adventures, pics and stories.

You are always welcome to post as I know many enjoy and we all get to see places
we may have never have been. Personally I can't wait until the day comes
I have the time to turn a couple days into 5 :)

Did you think I was done?

Added another 850 KMs since getting back. Yesterday we went to Lunenburg and I posted a sunset shot south of it in Riverport in rare and relaxing. On the way we detoured down the road to The Ovens caves but bypassed it straight to Spindler Beach. Hard to get the Mustang in a cave.... Very nice walking beach with a few people out enjoying the evening.
Spindler Beach.JPG

At the end of the beach was Feltzer Wharf. Got a lot of shots on the wharf but will only post the long shot from across the water. Note that from where I took the shot there is a house with two very large and protective dogs. It was a shoot and scoot session so consider my shot your shot. The wharf was safe though. Whew!

FeltzenSouth3500.JPG

Got a shot of this fellow at the end of the wharf.
Bird1500.JPG

Then down to Riverport we continued. Of course I did include the car in the sunset at Riverport. We always take the shore road between Lunenburg and Bridgewater to include Riverport along the way.
SunsetRiverPort2500.JPG

Here are the two locations on the map.
Feltzen.JPG

Today was another Annapolis Valley day. There was a heavy fog between the mountains. Went up to the Look off which I believe we have a couple of sunny posts already on the site and waited with another 2 photographers for the fog to lift. After 2 hours of chatting and waiting here is one with some fog remaining for effect.
LookOffCar24Sept2500.JPG

On the way up just outside New Minas as I passed the KenWo Golf Club the fog in the trees summoned me in for this shot. Goes to show that you never know where a cool shot can happen.GolfCourse2500.JPG

Here are those two locations with the KenWo Golf Club being on the bottom.
Eden-Look.JPG

After posting last night it was commented that across the water from Spindler Beach is a well photographed place called Blue Rocks marked in the map. There are so many nooks and cranny's on the South Shore to find. After reading about it the place looks like another hit to get to for driving, hiking or kayaking. Paved down to the wharf. Here are some links.

Nova Scotia Info on Blue Rocks

Street View at the popular fishing shack (but goes further)

BlueRocks.JPG

After posting last night it was commented that across the water from Spindler Beach is a well photographed place called Blue Rocks marked in the map. There are so many nooks and cranny's on the South Shore to find. After reading about it the place looks like another hit to get to for driving, hiking or kayaking. Paved down to the wharf. Here are some links.

Nova Scotia Info on Blue Rocks

Street View at the popular fishing shack (but goes further)

View attachment 48861
Hiking , kayaking :oops: to be honest if a motor is not involved I lose interest fast:LOL:

Mini run part 1 – Getting to the start line.

The journey to and from the fall run was part of the experience and we are glad the run went ahead. It allowed us to find new places along the way and maybe a shot or two looks like a place for others to go if not from the area. Even though I lived in NB for 8 years in the 80’s, Northern NB was not a place I went often and if I did, it was just up and back without stops.

In this set the 134 route offered a few spots to stop of which all were new to us.

In Shediac, the first stop was to let a slightly larger than us vehicle pass by. Almost able to drive under him.
View attachment 48781

Stopped after the Shediac Bridge to take a look back.
View attachment 48782

While moving along in Cocagne, the curve of the bridge seemed to flow nice with the coupe so stopped at a parking lot across the water.
View attachment 48783

I always heard Bouctouche was a nice place to visit and it sure was. Took a few shots there but of course the first thing you see going North is the church so it will be my post.
View attachment 48784

A look back on another bridge in Rexton. Has that coupe curve look also.
View attachment 48786

In Rexton the photo I like the most in this set, as it is unique, is “The Masts”. (link included)
View attachment 48785

After the run we went on to Campbellton the next day and it was a great drive. Stay tuned as I sort the photos…
We drive that piece of the 134 fairly often and you have hit a number of the highlights. If anyone else is doing it, just after the bridge in Cocagne, turn right and follow the 535 right along the coast before it rejoins the 134 at Bouctouche. It’s an amazing drive with a lot of great views and other photo Opps.

Hoping to get out for a small run this weekend. Hopefully weather cooperates.

Thanks for sharing your mini run pictures Mike. You have definitely given me some future run ideas. The covered bridge you speak of on the Starsky road I believe is this one. It is best saved for the General Lee. Lol.

DE4313ED-46BF-4A93-BF8C-043A38417F3D.jpeg

Haven’t been out in probably a month or more.
Can’t remember last date.

Likely putting the green monster away this weekend.
It’s all shined up and cover already on.
Just need to add fuel stabilizer and air up tires.

Hoping to get out one more time in the 15 for fall colours run. Likely hit hwy 17 to Campbellton and Baie des Chaleurs area again.
My favorite drive up this way by far.
Twisty, elevation changes, opportunities to dip into Mexico, and not busy on weekends.

Sunday looking good but would be solo as wife working.

Hoping next weekend still nice.

Back