2019 California Special Race Red

Wow thanks for the quick suggestions. Very much appreciated. Yes I have gone on you tube and listened to a few pipes so far just trying to get real life info as well as I just started. I am leaning more towards the H as I like throatier vrs raspier I guess. They do each have their unique sound. I didn’t realize it was one big resonator and the weight of it. That’s crazy. I heard you did gain a few HP because it breaths better. I will check out the suggested pipe brands as well. Louder and a nice rumble is exactly what I am aiming for. I would like to keep the cats for now. Lol

IMHO the Coyote sounds awesome with an H pipe.
Deep and throaty, like you first said you wanted.
Don’t psych yourself out or spend energy listening to a bunch of X pipes or combinations other than what you have.

Get the H pipe and you’ll be very pleased.
It’s an easy upgrade and it will be nice to listen to when you have the top down.

When you start talking long tubes and or cat deletes, you need custom tuning and it’s a whole other level of loud.

IMHO the Coyote sounds awesome with an H pipe.
Deep and throaty, like you first said you wanted.
Don’t psych yourself out or spend energy listening to a bunch of X pipes or combinations other than what you have.

Get the H pipe and you’ll be very pleased.
It’s an easy upgrade and it will be nice to listen to when you have the top down.

When you start talking long tubes and or cat deletes, you need custom tuning and it’s a whole other level of loud.
Charlie, you still have time to have this done, then you can join the Dyno run to Pete's😁

On September 28, 2018, the Ontario government under Doug Ford announced the cancellation of the Drive Clean program and instead focusing on heavy duty vehicles; the change became effective on April 1, 2019.
That being said

Regarding tampering and emission defeat devices:

The practice of deleting, tampering or defeating emission control systems is already illegal in Ontario and all neighboring jurisdictions.

On September 28, 2018, the Ontario government under Doug Ford announced the cancellation of the Drive Clean program and instead focusing on heavy duty vehicles; the change became effective on April 1, 2019.
That being said

Regarding tampering and emission defeat devices:

The practice of deleting, tampering or defeating emission control systems is already illegal in Ontario and all neighboring jurisdictions.
true, but in Ontario, they only get certified when sold, after that no inspections :)
we should have a whole thread on what your not aloud to do, like put a JLT air intake on your car, 95% of insurance compnies won't insure your car. Life is short, eat the cake :)

It’s all Fun and Games until the Province adds Emissions Testing to the MV Inspection like in Ontario 🤪

Cats are already necessary for the exhaust to pass inspection in NB.
It’s only a visual inspection though, so if you hollow them out, there is no mandate to inspect any further.

There is however complicity and negligence where techs are risking their establishment’s inspection license as well as a fine when they hand out a sticker to a car that clearly has no cats.
A visual inspection can tell if a car has tubing that has completely deleted the cats.

Cats are already necessary for the exhaust to pass inspection in NB.
It’s only a visual inspection though, so if you hollow them out, there is no mandate to inspect any further.

There is however complicity and negligence where techs are risking their establishment’s inspection license as well as a fine when they hand out a sticker to a car that clearly has no cats.
A visual inspection can tell if a car has tubing that has completely deleted the cats.
you are correct, like lift kits in trucks, tinted windows and about half the other mods done
to cars that change it from original.

Yeah I must agree so many sound videos out there. Been mostly listening to H pipes because that is pretty much the extra little sound I am looking for. I agree top down will give me that extra little exhaust note

I don’t want to worry about inspection on this one. The 01 already has some of those issues I need to worry about.

I try to be careful on where I stomp on it anyways. But the cats will stay on this one. No cats and a convertible can sometimes be a smelly situation when it’s hot outside.

I hope we never have emissions testing here in NB. There have been a few tickets given for noise since they stepped up their game here in NB, but for the most part from what I have heard it hasn’t been bad yet. Hoped it stays that way.

you are correct, like lift kits in trucks, tinted windows and about half the other mods done
to cars that change it from original.

Not quite.

The NB inspection states the cats are mandatory part of exhaust system.
Visual inspection. They must be there. No grey area.

In reference to suspension, tie rods, ball joints and steering gear must be tight for safety. Shocks, springs and sway bars in proper condition. So no broken springs or shocks or thrashed bushings, but no mention that cars, or trucks, can’t be lifted or must remain stock height or within X number of inches.
They check to make sure everything is tight and whole.

An automotive mechanical engineer may be required to certify the lift when the frame is cut and or modified.
That is between the service provider, the client and DOT.
On annual inspection, the techs don’t ask the client if he had his kit certified by an engineer.
That’s not their mandate.

For glass, the colour or presence of tint is not in the mandate either.
Techs check to make sure glass is not cracked or broken.
The tint is a police matter.

Just remember - we love to make recommendations on how we would spend YOUR money !
Enjoy the new exhaust sounds ! Keep the cats and don't hit the loud pedal too hard in town - the noise police are upping their game in NB it seems.

What Gerry says. Keep the cats.

First, long tubes with high flow cats give you way more return than deleting cats on stock exhaust, because the factory manifolds are still full of restriction.

To make cats worth deleting, it has to be part of an off road long tubes and mid pipe that delete the cats.

In conversation with Mat Dasilva at the end of the build on my ‘06, with ported heads and Long Tubes with high flow cats, the question came up if deleting the cats would make much if any difference?

Mat has over 3200 tune files he has worked on over the years.
So he has strapped many cars to his dyno, an some return customers several times improving the same tune on repeat occasions.

In reference to my car, a 450 to 500 hp N/A setup, the difference between long tubes with high flow cats and an off road setup with cat delete, would be a whopping less than 5 hp.

It begs the question, would your 500 hp car with high flow cats be any less fun than your 503 or 504 hp car with cat delete?

I don’t think any of us could tell the difference.
Then weigh that against the bad smells, the environment issues and, finally, the risk and constant potential of getting fined, not passing provincial inspection, or not passing emissions should that become a requirement in future.

I’m a big fan of removing resonators, not cats.

Exhausts in general, and high flow cats specifically, have come a long way since Fred’s 83 Monte Carlo.
All cars today can’t be compared to that era.
That was an extension of the 70’s oil embargo and smog restrictions era.

Not quite.

The NB inspection states the cats are mandatory part of exhaust system.
Visual inspection. They must be there. No grey area.

In reference to suspension, tie rods, ball joints and steering gear must be tight for safety. Shocks, springs and sway bars in proper condition. So no broken springs or shocks or thrashed bushings, but no mention that cars, or trucks, can’t be lifted or must remain stock height or within X number of inches.
They check to make sure everything is tight and whole.

An automotive mechanical engineer may be required to certify the lift when the frame is cut and or modified.
That is between the service provider, the client and DOT.
On annual inspection, the techs don’t ask the client if he had his kit certified by an engineer.
That’s not their mandate.

For glass, the colour or presence of tint is not in the mandate either.
Techs check to make sure glass is not cracked or broken.
The tint is a police matter.
Lifts were determined to be not legal and it slowed the industry down for about 2 months.
then they changed to factory lifts only. all that siad modify cars becomes quite gray if you read rules.
tinte on drives side windows fails a safety by terms of law, actualyl putting any decal below the two marks on eithside of a window is illegal
regardless of what it is, other than a government issued saftey sticker.

but if you wanna test one of my theories call your insruance company, tell them you install at Airraid or JLT air intake yo increase air flow and performance and see what they say :)

if you read the laws, most should be thankful that 85% if mechanics have never read the complete regulations in detail

Last edited:
Lifts were determined to be not legal and it slowed the industry down for about 2 months.
then they changed to factory lifts only. all that siad modify cars becomes quite gray if you read rules.
tinte on drives side windows fails a safety by terms of law, actualyl putting any decal below the two marks on eithside of a window is illegal
regardless of what it is, other than a government issued saftey sticker.

but if you wanna test one of my theories call your insruance company, tell them you install at Airraid or JLT air intake yo increase air flow and performance and see what they say :)

if you read the laws, most should be thankful that 85% if mechanics have never read the complete regulations in detail
A few years ago I called my insurance company about value of my mustang, one I told them about the CAI, TB, exhaust, hood, and such. They proceeded to say they will not insure my car anymore , gave me less than a week and it was cancelled 😳. Been with Hagerty ever since, I just updated the value of my car a couple weeks ago with no issues..
As for the front window tint, I've gotten 2 warnings so far. Been told tinted glass is perfectly fine, but the film tint is illegal

Last edited by a moderator:
Back