2016 Mustang GT California Special

Pretty much decided that the first thing to change will be the exhaust. I should say first major thing. I’m sure there will be some cosmetic changes here and there. So cat back or axle back and then which one do you go with? So many choices out there it’s crazy. Let me know what you got. How does it sound? Looking for deep tones, no drone, not raspy...just a nice rumble.

Exhaust is always pretty subjective, so thats a tough one to comment on.......

I found youtube was a great resource for finding different examples of different configurations in different conditions ( start up, idle, drive by, givin' it the beans etc) on exactly the same car.

Exhaust is always pretty subjective, so thats a tough one to comment on.......

I found youtube was a great resource for finding different examples of different configurations in different conditions ( start up, idle, drive by, givin' it the beans etc) on exactly the same car.
It is a tough one to call. You are exactly right. Just thought I’d see what others have and like. Maybe something comes up that I haven’t heard or thought of. Been spending a ton of time on Youtube doing just that lol. Sound clip after sound clip after sound clip. So many options out there.

Agree with all above.

However, I would first suggest cat back for two reasons.
1- you drop about 30 lbs of weight by eliminating the suitcase size resonator.

2- eliminating the extra restriction of the resonator is worth roughly up to 10 hp extra with the freer flow, before you even do a CAI or tune.

Once you decide to go cat back and based on the criteria you describe above of nice rumble, non raspy and no drone, I have no hesitation in suggesting the following.

Ford Performance by Borla Touring cat back.
Excellent videos by Bill on CJ pony parts.

Big difference with the straight Borla touring cat back is Ford has X pipe while Borla supply a replacement resonator with their setup.
It’s said to be lighter and freer flowing than the stock one but it is still a resonator.
It is still extra flow restriction and extra weight.

I have the Ford by Borla on my 15.
Love them.
Only difference is I have H pipe instead of X pipe.

Nice rumble, not too loud but there when you get on it.
Absolutely no drone.
According to Bill, less raspy with the X pipe.
But I don’t think they are raspy even with my H pipe.

Removing the resonator also increases the volume a little.
So cat back touring are a bit louder than the same touring mufflers in axle back setup.
It hits a nice sweet spot of compromise between conservative low noise and something like an S type Borla setup.

Here is a brief cold start vid from last summer on my car.

Last edited:
As Marc Said above. His car to me sounds good, it's all in individual preference.

For what it's worth. Everyone knows I only have axle back, and on the S197 I can still hear it a good amount in the car. Far from being bothering, simply pleasant tone that can be heard.
Two summers ago now, Phil needed to hear his car from outside. Now we all know how LOUD his is from outside. Let me tell you. You do NOT hear 1/8th of that inside. These S550 have so much noise insulation compared to S197's, not even funny. What I'm trying to say is: you may end up settling on louder exterior sounds than you would know, as the interior doesn't leave all that much go through.

I am partial to H pipes sound wise, probably the reason why I love his setup as much as I do. Cannot wait to see what you'll end up choosing ultimately!

I beleive Phil actually change part of that exhaust, because it was to loud.
I went through that with my 08, was so loud, all the time.
Exhuast is quite personal, listen to as many video's as you can
if you can find anyone with set up close to what you want,
go out of your way to hear it, time here is worht it.
Saves you from doing something twice, not to mention the costs.

Roush axle back has a decent sound. But think I’d rather go cat back. Magnaflow makes some decent ones....street series is the one I noticed. But now I’m wondering if I should go louder? Haha. Competition is another from Magnaflow. The Ford by Borla I had my eye on as well. Decisions, decisions.

Roush axle back has a decent sound. But think I’d rather go cat back. Magnaflow makes some decent ones....street series is the one I noticed. But now I’m wondering if I should go louder? Haha. Competition is another from Magnaflow. The Ford by Borla I had my eye on as well. Decisions, decisions.
Again personal preferences, Doing it in your position I would lean Ford Performance with and H instead of the X. But that might be just me :) Exhaust is probably the one mod that you'll do the most exhaustive (lol) research about before pulling the trigger out of the multiple suspension components.

Back