2007 Mustang GT/CS Vert

Well, another necessary chapter of ''out with the old, in with the new'' was done last night.
Last weekend, went to Tracadie with the Mustang (+/-230km one way from Dieppe?) to pass the time in my hometown. Weekend went well and all, until I tried to start the old lady Sunday morning to get breakfast at my dad's. Tic tic tic tic tic.... dead battery. Jump started her with my mom's corolla, the idle was good, she drove good, went to pickup coffee and off to breakfast i was.
Tic tic tic tic tic...... AGAIN while trying to leave my dad's house. Not even two hours after I've did the boosting the first time. Well, this time, drop to the gas pump, left it idling while fueling up, drove to my mom's home, left it idling in the driveway picking up my luggage and off to Dieppe I was. Minimal A/C during the drive (just enough to not die), no radio, top up, windows up, headlights off, all in the name of electrical energy savings and giving all the chances to my battery to charge. When I arrived, popped the trunk, and the hood, windows up and I shut her down. 5 seconds after, super slow cranking. Battery never charged the whole 230kms/2.25hrs trip!!!
Well, battery hunting was on and replaced last night. I guess the old Costco had done her time from the big green 1/14 sticker.... :rolleyes: Bought the car with the battery installed back in 2017 without knowing really how long it would last, so I'm happy I got up to now I guess. Hoping the replacement will do her deeds at least as long!

04505334-1D54-4E56-8FF7-175CE3A42A97.jpeg
54643080-A35D-40C1-AAE5-8B2CFD88CA49.jpeg

Had no choice but to do a little quick and dirty engine bay detailing while at it. Hadn't touched it the whole summer, was pretty dusty! :) Still need to do a complete 100% detailing eventually.

Well, another necessary chapter of ''out with the old, in with the new'' was done last night.
Last weekend, went to Tracadie with the Mustang (+/-230km one way from Dieppe?) to pass the time in my hometown. Weekend went well and all, until I tried to start the old lady Sunday morning to get breakfast at my dad's. Tic tic tic tic tic.... dead battery. Jump started her with my mom's corolla, the idle was good, she drove good, went to pickup coffee and off to breakfast i was.
Tic tic tic tic tic...... AGAIN while trying to leave my dad's house. Not even two hours after I've did the boosting the first time. Well, this time, drop to the gas pump, left it idling while fueling up, drove to my mom's home, left it idling in the driveway picking up my luggage and off to Dieppe I was. Minimal A/C during the drive (just enough to not die), no radio, top up, windows up, headlights off, all in the name of electrical energy savings and giving all the chances to my battery to charge. When I arrived, popped the trunk, and the hood, windows up and I shut her down. 5 seconds after, super slow cranking. Battery never charged the whole 230kms/2.25hrs trip!!!
Well, battery hunting was on and replaced last night. I guess the old Costco had done her time from the big green 1/14 sticker.... :rolleyes: Bought the car with the battery installed back in 2017 without knowing really how long it would last, so I'm happy I got up to now I guess. Hoping the replacement will do her deeds at least as long!

View attachment 39600
View attachment 39599

Had no choice but to do a little quick and dirty engine bay detailing while at it. Hadn't touched it the whole summer, was pretty dusty! :) Still need to do a complete 100% detailing eventually.
Glad it got you home, not a good feeling thinking you can get stranded.. i have one of these in all my car's just in case , along with as many tools as i think might be needed ..extra weight for sure , but has gotten me out of some stranded situations over the years
shopping.jpeg

Glad you didn't get stranded for sure. What Al shared above is a godsent. As long as you remember to keep it charged ?
Yep. True.. imagine parked at the beach listening tunes, watching the sunset . Time to go, and oh oh..killed the battery. With a cocky smirk on your face as you grab the jump starter to save the day and oh Crap! That's dead too.. ! Time to call dad....

I tell my kids all the time Keep it charged and check monthly ! But kids. Right ..

Yeah let'S just say that I have one of them already on my radar! Installed that new battery last night and put the trickle charger on to make sure this one is starting her life fully charged.... I'll keep a better eye on it and probly trickle charge it once or twice a month in the good season and maybe will remove the battery from the car to trickle the entire winter.... will see, still time to think between here and October!

View attachment 39600
View attachment 39599

I've gotten good service from Costco batteries.

Sounds familiar. 4- 5 years have been the cycle on the batteries in mine. 2017 was my last replacement so soon time again . They seem to start OK but loose reserve time ,but if you don’t heed the signs - then SORRY no go for you.

Just a side note.
If you have a good battery and the lights get left on and it goes completely dead and you boost It most likely won’t accomplish anywhere near full charging in the vehicle. You will often get a surface charge but won’t last any time - certainly not overnight! A change in battery chemistry requires over 16v to restart the chemical reactions . The car system can only make 13.5 - 14 v so it can’t do it. That means take cables off the vehicle connections and force voltage with a commercial style charger until current actually starts to flow through the battery- then recovery charge for 4 hours. I’ve brought back many a “failed” battery that way

Sounds familiar. 4- 5 years have been the cycle on the batteries in mine. 2017 was my last replacement so soon time again . They seem to start OK but loose reserve time ,but if you don’t heed the signs - then SORRY no go for you.

Just a side note.
If you have a good battery and the lights get left on and it goes completely dead and you boost It most likely won’t accomplish anywhere near full charging in the vehicle. You will often get a surface charge but won’t last any time - certainly not overnight! A change in battery chemistry requires over 16v to restart the chemical reactions . The car system can only make 13.5 - 14 v so it can’t do it. That means take cables off the vehicle connections and force voltage with a commercial style charger until current actually starts to flow through the battery- then recovery charge for 4 hours. I’ve brought back many a “failed” battery that way

Bought the car 3 years ago with that battery in, still surprised it lasted that long, but my annoyance is in the fact that it didn't give me any sense of being that dead, just the day before... kinda weird. Was feeling she was on her way out so I didn't want to loose my time trying to resuscitate her as you describe above, but it does make a lot of sense.
In my situation, lights were not left on overnight, car was locked, radio shut down, Cannot figure out for the life of me why during one night it went to be allright to a ''I unlock the doors and light up the dash but that's it!'' kind of battery.
I have a Noco Genius5 at home (battery charger/maintainer/desulfator) that is being said to bring back batteries down to 1 Volt, I'll be more diligent into trickle charging this one and am contemplating bringing the battery home in the winter months to connect with the charger actually, to try and get a couple more month out of this one.

I got my battery at ford. On the second battery and the car is 12 years old. Keep the tender on it all winter. This one should last as long as can be expected.
The whole battery thing is a bit of a mystery. The deep cycle for RV, Boats and Solar batteries are then another whole thing. Then there are Electric vehicle, Tesla cars, and tesla walls (home storage) are the leading edge of power storage. Storage is the next frontier.

The Ford OE battery in my 06 served well for ten years.
I changed it in 2016 when I noticed cranking power on start up seemed to be getting a bit weaker than when I first got car in 2011.
It never left me stranded.
And I was not its caretaker for the first 5 years of its life.

So, based on this and my above post, I’ll allow three guesses as to where I get my batteries, and the first two guesses don’t count. ?

Sorry Max.
Don’t mean to highjack your thread.

Add another to the list, I replaced my truck battery with a Motorcraft, it was getting on five years old, and when they die, they die fast.

No signs of any trouble, but I felt like it was starting to go south, $150 some odd bucks was worth peace of mind.

Crap, sorry for the hijack x2, but seemed on topic.

All on topic, all saying the same... batteries ALL last +\- 5 to 6 years on average, no matter the provenance. Some frek ones do last over, but thats far from majority. All have to remember, that kirkland lasted 2014 to now, without ANY tender charges in my hands, and god knows what the other one before did.
Pretty good in my books. And, yes there are thing better at the dealer but i am far from a go at the dealer at all price kind of guy... sorry

All on topic, all saying the same... batteries ALL last +\- 5 to 6 years on average, no matter the provenance. Some frek ones do last over, but thats far from majority. All have to remember, that kirkland lasted 2014 to now, without ANY tender charges in my hands, and god knows what the other one before did.
Pretty good in my books. And, yes there are thing better at the dealer but i am far from a go at the dealer at all price kind of guy... sorry
Yeah in our cars in my opinion 5-6 years is not bad considering it sits 2/3 of the year and alot do not trickle charge

Well, not necessarily a case of going to the dealer at all price and not necessarily better at the dealer...... if you're happy with the product and price, you'll go where you want to spend your money as a consumer, its not just blind acceptance that because its Ford equipment you have to buy it . No apologies needed.

What he said.

But, I’m curious.
Without tender or periodic recharges over winter, don’t your batteries go dead over winter?
If so, you need to jump start in spring.
That shortens life of battery.
Or do you start the car every few weeks?
Or disconnect ground?
Or pull out of car all together?

What he said.

But, I’m curious.
Without tender or periodic recharges over winter, don’t your batteries go dead over winter?
If so, you need to jump start in spring.
That shortens life of battery.
Or do you start the car every few weeks?
Or disconnect ground?
Or pull out of car all together?
I keep mine in a heated garage, i put the charger on the battery for a few hours before i drop the car off and then disconnect the battery. Come spring it always starts right up , bring home and charge it for a few hours and I'm all set

Back