2005-14 Mustangs involved in airbag recall..

I had both airbags in the Shelby done as well as the passenger side bag on my '08 Ranger. Each replacement took less than an hour to complete. I never returned the Shelby to stock prior to the driver side airbag swap (not possible with the extensive mods on my car at the time) and didn't have any issues. However I think Gerry's advice to re-load the stock tune is advisable, why take and un-necessary risks.

Last edited:
I am pretty sure I getting run around from dealer here. Just took my name no serial number said they would call when part comes in . He also said they are working on 2012s now. May phone tusken ford in yarmouth where car was bought new and see if they will do it. I don't mind day trip to get it done quicker.

Festus;n25350 said:
I am pretty sure I getting run around from dealer here. Just took my name no serial number said they would call when part comes in . He also said they are working on 2012s now. May phone tusken ford in yarmouth where car was bought new and see if they will do it. I don't mind day trip to get it done quicker.

Kevin, I had about the same experience after getting the first recall notice from FairIsle last summer. Got a new notice this Springs, went in to talk with service manager & got a good result. Depending on a few variables, the replacement bags may or may not be available regardless of year. I got info that part was available and would be in some time between 5 days and 8 weeks, but had the call in 3 days with a next day appointment. Mine wasn't one of their cars...bought in St. John.

pei_guy;n25369 said:
Kevin, I had about the same experience after getting the first recall notice from FairIsle last summer. Got a new notice this Springs, went in to talk with service manager & got a good result. Depending on a few variables, the replacement bags may or may not be available regardless of year. I got info that part was available and would be in some time between 5 days and 8 weeks, but had the call in 3 days with a next day appointment. Mine wasn't one of their cars...bought in St. John.

I will have to go in and see them to get things moving the right way.

Air bag recall complete no airbags needed only recall for car was drivers airbag inflator installed.Had car in to dealer for my engine light coming back on again. Reset code showed pressure sensor in fuel tank same as last time look at tank and sensor is full of undercoat . Only sure fix to keep code off is 1 hundred & eighty dollars for new sensor.

I first contacted Steele Ford about the airbag recall in August and they told me the parts were available to be ordered. After waiting for a call back I called them on 12 September and was told they would be ordered soon. Last week I checked again and discovered that they had mis entered my phone number and that they had all the parts in, confirmed with parts. This morning I get up, put up with rush hour traffic to arrive for 08:00 only to discover that they didn't have all the parts in. Told them I'd be in touch and went over to Fairley and Stevens. They swear they have the parts in stock and now I have an appointment for next Wednesday .

Glen quite correct, MacPhee is not always perfect, but try hard
tell them you are from here helps. Also a forum sponsor anytime
we can support them is good for them and us as a group.

Hard to believe that Transport Canada hasn't pushed Ford harder, (and in turn the dealers), to make sure there isn't an adequate stock of these recalled parts available. The turn around for parts ordered, should be just a day or two, not weeks or even months. Perhaps they haven't been made aware of these delays?

A lot of these parts are contracted out to suppliers as opposed to built in house by the manufacturers.
We are still feeling the effects of GM and Chrysler bailouts.
Those two big guys got bailouts but when they went down, a lot of those suppliers went under.
These suppliers supply more than one automaker, maybe all three and some Europeans at the same time.
The ones that remained have all they can handle just to keep current model builds going.
Having to go backwards to supply cars already built is a stretch for some.
We see it all the time.
Simple things such as bumpers for Super Duties. They're back ordered right now.
What production there is goes straight to the factory to build new units.

In the case of these airbags though, all the parts have been available since this past spring, for either side.
No reason it can't be ordered and replaced in the same week.
Some of the folks you are dealing with are not competent.
Bring it up to service manager or dealer ownership.
Or got to another dealer.

Rich06;n26801 said:
Success, I left home around 7:00 , grabbed a coffee and arrived at Fairley & Stephens about 7:30 and as promised the car was in for the recall work first thing and so I was home by 10:00 am.

I wondered what got a retired guy out of the house so early on a cold morning- you were in the drive through as I was heading off to work a bit late

05 gt 5spd;n26823 said:
I wondered what got a retired guy out of the house so early on a cold morning- you were in the drive through as I was heading off to work a bit late

I really missed the heated seats and steering wheel in the Landrover this morning

Got a letter from Ford saying I should get the bags replaced. I guess I should get on that. It will have to wait for spring now.

I wonder if the recall wasn't done by the previous owner, if a Ford dealer would point out to the new owner about still needing the part replaced or if ,they would even bother to check to see if it had been done already? The second owner would never receive a recall letter, if Ford's records showed the original owner was already sent one. Many manufactures are not thrilled about doing recalls, and won't go out of their way for insuring they get done.

Honda used a method of marking a vehicle, so that at a glance, a technician could see if a recall had been done previously or not. A punch mark would be placed by the stamped VIN number on the firewall. The mark was placed above a certain letter or digit, after a recall had been completed. Even if the car had changed hands several times, if it was brought to a dealer for service, the current owner could be made aware if there was still a recall outstanding on their vehicle.
It was possible for a service writer to run the VIN in a computer, to see what recalls were done. Unfortunately. this wasn't done automatically with every vehicle brought in for service, as recall work didn't offer any personal bonus's to them. The service writer was never rewarded for up-sell hours on a warranty labor, nor would he get any up-sell parts bonus, So to some of them, looking up recall info on a vehicle, was a waste of their time.

The firewall marking method, gave the tech a chance to check the vehicle, without needing the service writer's involvement. The benefit to a flat-rate tech was, he could make more hours, thus a bigger paycheque. Some recalls paid lousy flat-rate times. Lousy, in that it actually took the book time to do the job, They would often be "overlooked", by the savvy tech if that were the case. But.. a recall job that paid five hours, and in reality took only three to do, would get noticed.

AC Bill;n27156 said:
I wonder if the recall wasn't done by the previous owner, if a Ford dealer would point out to the new owner about still needing the part replaced or if ,they would even bother to check to see if it had been done already? The second owner would never receive a recall letter, if Ford's records showed the original owner was already sent one. Many manufactures are not thrilled about doing recalls, and won't go out of their way for insuring they get done.

Honda used a method of marking a vehicle, so that at a glance, a technician could see if a recall had been done previously or not. A punch mark would be placed by the stamped VIN number on the firewall. The mark was placed above a certain letter or digit, after a recall had been completed. Even if the car had changed hands several times, if it was brought to a dealer for service, the current owner could be made aware if there was still a recall outstanding on their vehicle.
It was possible for a service writer to run the VIN in a computer, to see what recalls were done. Unfortunately. this wasn't done automatically with every vehicle brought in for service, as recall work didn't offer any personal bonus's to them. The service writer was never rewarded for up-sell hours on a warranty labor, nor would he get any up-sell parts bonus, So to some of them, looking up recall info on a vehicle, was a waste of their time.

The firewall marking method, gave the tech a chance to check the vehicle, without needing the service writer's involvement. The benefit to a flat-rate tech was, he could make more hours, thus a bigger paycheque. Some recalls paid lousy flat-rate times. Lousy, in that it actually took the book time to do the job, They would often be "overlooked", by the savvy tech if that were the case. But.. a recall job that paid five hours, and in reality took only three to do, would get noticed.

Try your VIN on the Ford recall link. Should tell you if anything is outstanding on recalls or service actions

https://www.ford.ca/service/ourServices/safetyRecalls/

Service writers at Ford must check for recalls, and enter them properly when done.
It's policy. Manager gets upset if not done.
Ford checks provincial registration data banks to get updated owner information on recalls.
If car changes hands and is dully registered, new owner should get notice of recall.
By same token, if you get rid of a car, let's say junk it and don't advise DMV, you will keep getting notices because provincial records still show you as RO, registered owner. Because car is junked, you don't get recall done, you keep getting letters, years later.
How do I know? Personal experience.

Had my drivers side air bag inflator recall done Sept 8 / 18. The dealer checked no futher recalls for this car. Today new recall arrives for passengers side air bag inflator issued march 15 / 19. Phoned dealer told him car still stored and will be out in next few weeks so he made work order and got part on the way.He told me can get parts but each dealer are only getting few at a time.

Back