2005-14 Mustangs involved in airbag recall..

AC Bill

So anybody received notice from Ford on taking your car in, or is it done only if you take it to a dealer, and bug them about it?

When the recall was announced I went down to my dealership with my VIN to confirm that it covered my car, it did. I subsequently got a letter stating that my car was covered by the recall and that I would receive a second letter when parts where available. About a year later (this past June?) I got a notice in the mail stating that parts have arrived and to contact my dealership to make an appointment to have the airbag replaced, I did. Total replacement took a little over an hour. Many other mustangs in my club have already had the recall done. So if you haven't received notification yet you should contact your dealership.

Well it's good that they are making the effort to inform owners. Some recalls are silent ones, where if the customer finds out and brings it in to a dealer, they will do it, but otherwise they hope you don't hear about it. Perhaps because it's safety related, it's mandatory...

AC Bill;n8319 said:
Well it's good that they are making the effort to inform owners. Some recalls are silent ones, where if the customer finds out and brings it in to a dealer, they will do it, but otherwise they hope you don't hear about it. Perhaps because it's safety related, it's mandatory...

That's true, but this recall is a major disaster for TAKATA (the manufacturer) because of their choice of propellant it turns your airbag into a claymore mine with 126 deaths some far. It doesn't help that it affects most of the known automotive manufacturers involving over 36,000,000 (that's right MILLIONS) cars going as far back as '91 and ending model year 2016.

wow some bad engineering on that one.
Guess it didn't kill those smiling crash test dummies.

Yes, the parts are in and the dealers can do the repair now.
It is safety related and all TAKATA's fault. It made headline news around the world and Ford has sent out several letters.
Had mine done end of July. Dealer called me as soon as they got the parts.
They've called all their customers in the area.
The actual work only takes about 15 minutes.
It takes longer to do paperwork with service writer.
Worth doing for safety reasons, especially for shorter individuals.
The closer you sit to airbag, the more danger there is.

My dad's 2011 was done last week.

I received a letter regarding my old 2013 GT. Contacted the dealer to advise them I don't own it anymore. It's gone south of the border now.

No word from them yet...gonna bug them as soon as the car is back on the road

I've stopped into the dealer multiple times last year and they kept saying parts are on back order, I received another letter from ford Canada a few ago on it , I'll call Downey today to make sure they get it in for when I get it on the road again

The parts for the driver air bag were available last year. The new letter is for passenger side, and for this they still don't have parts.
The letter we're getting this week is to let us know the passenger side recall is on, they don't have parts yet but they will contact us as soon as parts are available.
So, if they were telling you last year they did not have driver side parts, that's false. Insist a bit more or call a different dealer because the parts are available for driver side.
We can all thank Takata for this mess.

Called dealership after getting the notice a couple of weeks ago. Fair Isle Ford say they are only getting 1 airbag per week to respond to recalls. "don't call us....we"ll call you"

Back