What's your winter driver - Don't say Mustang

In my list the most terrifying car to drive was the Renault LeCar. 1300 cc engine with a whopping 55 hp! Not one safety feature to be found except the seat belt (when it clicked in sometimes). Three wheel nuts and you could pull the engine out by hand. Swapped it out at the auto club in an afternoon.

LeCar.jpg

Most fun to drive was the M113 armored personnel carrier in Gagetown.

Fun.jpg

Both good winter beaters, when the heaters worked.

I drove an APC at Gagetown on a fire power demonstartion day. The best part was when they told me I would have to slow down, lol.

That would be a good rig to have when some on the streets needs an attitude adjustment. The ultimate road rage tool.

Funny you should mention that. My first deployment was with the Anti-Armor platoon as a gunner. As with any vehicle its all about the options.

Like an anti-tank optically tracked, wire guided missile launcher good for 3.5 kilometers with a thermal sight for night shots. Each round was about $30,000 in the 80's. Had the pleasure of launching 7 of them. Each time I said "There goes the money for another new car".

A pic from an exercise in Quebec. No Cavaliers were hurt that I know of....

at2.JPG

at.JPG

My buddy was taller than you and he had lots of room.As long as he was in the front seat that is.Also my 300 pound brother in law fit behind the wheel.

Thought I'd post an update on my winter beater. Well the 20 year old Honda Odyssey is retired. Sold it for scrap. Too many issues and it wasn't reliable anymore. I picked up a 2014 Ford Focus SE. It's in excellent shape, runs great, lots of features and doesn't smell! lol I'm hoping with the limited use it will get that I can count on it for many years as my winter ride.

Thought I'd post an update on my winter beater. Well the 20 year old Honda Odyssey is retired. Sold it for scrap. Too many issues and it wasn't reliable anymore. I picked up a 2014 Ford Focus SE. It's in excellent shape, runs great, lots of features and doesn't smell! lol I'm hoping with the limited use it will get that I can count on it for many years as my winter ride.

Not Smelling bad is always a plus when considering a new vehicle.

My Oldest Son bought an 08 Focus in 09. He still has it on the Road, 155,000 Kilometers and Rust Free, it has been Rust Checked every year since 09. Only issue he had with it was Transmission, he replaced it with a low KM used unit 5 or 6 year ago. You should get many years out of it. (y)

Simply be careful if it's an automatic car, the transmissions do not tend to be the strong point of this generation's focuses

Actually, it’s a dual clutch transmission.
It’s meant to e driven spiritedly.
People run into issues when they drive it ultra conservatively to maximize fuel mileage.
Like little old ladies.
The transmission does have a bad rep, but people who drive it without care have fewer issues than those who nurse it around.

Apparently an issue with small displacement turbocharged engines is that the waste gate can seize if you don't put your foot down hard occasionally. Gentler drivers never get it to open and of course something that doesn't move will eventually seize Not that I'd ever have an issue with that in my Land Rover

Back