What's your winter driver - Don't say Mustang

thundr

It seems I have some options as usual.
This year I'll have my F 150 as the base driver, I have my daughters Golf VW, and also picked up a Toyota Corolla.
Depending on circumstances, one ore all could be available.

I like the idea of a winter beater, with our highly corrosive salted roads. Down side is the insurance costs etc for an extra car. Also they might sit around in summer.

No winter specific drivers.
Just year round drivers here.
2014 F150 FX4 3.5 Ecoboost, 2011 Fusion SEL 3.0L V6 FWD.
The new 2018 Escape 2.0L Ecoboost AWD will be sidelined this winter to extend it’s rust free life for a while.

My 2014 Raptor is a year round driver, but I do swap the BFG A/T's for Toyo's in the winter.

I typically give it a good drenching in Rust Check on a regular basis in anticipation of the salt etc, seems to work well.IMG_2440.jpeg

Last edited:
I swear by Rust check. Mazda isn’t cause it’s a Lease that will be replaced in 2022 but all of my previous vehicles going back to 1987 were. The one I owned the longest was a 95 Cavalier that when traded in 2007 after 13 annual Rust Check applications had zero rust and gas tank, brake lines ect had never been replaced due to the protection provided by rust check. In the end it was a blown head gasket at 317,000 kilometers that was the reason I got rid of it.

I never rust checked anything until last year.
In the past my work trucks, i use to spray with old oil.
With the use of brine on the roads here and its ability
to make things rust faster, I now get everything rust checked yearly.

TrueBlue02058;n35013 said:
:FordSmileDefinitely a good investment considering what you have tied up in equipment. With proper maintenance your Diesel trucks should be good for a half a million kilometers

ya no, I trade mine ever 4-5 years, 2 others 6-7 years
and now the only Diesel pick up, as long as it will last.
Asphalt crew truck, likely 8-9 years. now its the only Diesel pick up.
My new one is gas, doing an experiment.
Let you know in a few years if I am right.

But figure I will be ahead around 4k.
considering it cost 10K more for a diesel
fuel costs are higher and so is maintenance.
Many companies are now doing this.

I don't have a specific winter car, my GMC Sierra 4X4 and Land Rover Discovery Sport both get winter tyres and get used according to requirements. If Baden is coming with me it's the truck, if it's Angie and Hannah or if I'm going into town i's the Land Rover, much easier to maneuver and park. Gets better milage too

Ohtobbad;n35014 said:
ya no, I trade mine ever 4-5 years, 2 others 6-7 years
and now the only Diesel pick up, as long as it will last.
Asphalt crew truck, likely 8-9 years. now its the only Diesel pick up.
My new one is gas, doing an experiment.
Let you know in a few years if I am right.

But figure I will be ahead around 4k.
considering it cost 10K more for a diesel
fuel costs are higher and so is maintenance.
Many companies are now doing this.

Ya ten grand premium, you are better off with the gas engine if you are trading every 5 to 7 years.

Back