Mustang Trivia.

I recall that when I had my '06 GT, it was a Breast Cancer Awareness package..... I can't nail down the year, but it was somewhere in the '07, '08 or '09 range I think.

Not going to cheat and Google it, but I'll throw half the answer I can remember out there. lol

Glad I could do it legit and not butt in for an "interlude" . ;)

Name the years the Mustang was featured as a pace car for the Indy 500, bonus marks if you include the same for the Daytona 500.

Bump........

Three different generations of Mustangs paced the Indy 500, one year from each generation....the '79 Foxbody is a common knowledge gimme, so that leaves two.

A little more recent for the Daytona 500.

One of the Indy 500 pacecars was 1964.5 or 1965 - first production year, whatever you call it. I had to look the other one up so I’ll leave it alone.
In my looking found 2 Mustang pace cars used at for Daytona - one recent and one not!

Only eleven factory built Shelby GT350's, came with a Paxton supercharger. Only three of them were painted red. This would be a very rare car.

SNAP. Sorry, guys. totally missed that one from the last page.. yes. after Carroll Shelby asked Phil Remington how far it was from the race shop to the office. he did not ask in what measurement, Phil came back and said its about 350'. and that when Shelby said that is the name we'll use..

ok, how about this one. i see there was a question on who came up with the galloping horse logo. but the questions here is, why is the horse always galloping left
Because My Dad, Phil Clark drew all his horse drawings in that direction since he was 12: the earliest drawing we have. THE ARTICLE IS FAIRLY CORRECT EXCEPT FOR A BIT OF EDITING, THAT REALLY DOES NOT APPLY TO THESE QUESTIONS! DADDY WAS RIGHT HANDED, AND THERE ARE MOVIES OF HIM SHOWING HIS DRAWING...JUST AS HE DREW THE MUSTANGS AND HORSES FROM THE TIME HE COULD DRAW. Thank you for keeping daddy, Phil Clark alive, and remember the spirit of the stang is the Mustang of the plain!

I was with Gerry on his answer. See attached article from his daughter. But maybe this is not acurate.

MUSTANG MONTHLY News & Views
Mustang's Original Running-Horse Emblem - Pony Marker
Designer Phil Clark Is Credited With Sketching The Famous Mustang Running Horse
Holly Clark
August 1, 2005

Editor's note: The author is the only child of Phil Clark, the man who sketched the Mustang's original running-horse emblem. She, like the Mustang, celebrated her 40th birthday in 2004. Holly can be reached at [email protected].

It's a symbol adored by great men, desired by many, and recognized by almost everyone. The running pony has endured not only Vietnam, but also disco, the fall of Communism, and even the new millennium. It's still the quintessential symbol of the original ponycar. Regardless of the Mustang's fame, most don't know the story of the man who hand-sketched the running horse and whose mind captured the spirit of the Mustang.

My father, Phillip Thomas Clark, was only 27 in 1962 when he left General Motors to join Ford Motor Company. Ford's leadership promised to consider Clark's concept of a car that would not only be a means of transportation for the average American, but would also thrust its owner into the world of sports cars.

The "pony" came only after Clark and his associates at Ford spent nearly 100 arduous days working and reworking renderings of the final original design for the car now known as Mustang I.

My father had always been known for sketching animals. He sometimes even made amusing drawings on napkins as he lunched in Dearborn cafes. His wife, Marilyn, speaks even now of the pony's significance to her husband.

That uniqueness plays through even in Clark's artwork of the horse that gallops on the grille. In a popular board game, players are asked why the horse on the Mustang gallops to the left and not to the right. J Mays, Ford's group vice president of Design, said that Bill Ford requested research concerning Clark's work on the Mustang. Mays said, "Interestingly, I am informed that the reason the horse is galloping toward the left is because Clark was right-handed and it was more natural for him to draw the horse galloping to the left."
This is correct!

Really, Wow, that is interesting as well.
But we still need an answer to when it was shown and released for sale.
It was first Shown at Watkins Glen, the prototype, On October 7, 1962. The first actual purchasable Mustang was released in April (17tg?? Not googling here) 1964 . FORD USED MUSTANG ONE PROTOTYPE TO PUSH SALES TO COLLEGE STUDENTS AND WOMEN FOR ABOUT A YEAR AND A HALF, TAKING THE PROTOTYPES TO COLLEGES.... PEOPLE REMEMBERED AND TALKED ABOUT THE Scoops and the Running Horse emblem, so they wanted to buy THAT car when it came out!

Well the dog days of winter are soon upon us, so we need every bit of help to get us through till spring.
This trivia is simple in design, I will ask the first question, the person who answers correctly ( first)
Has to ask the next mustang question. Really want a challenge, don't use google :)
Rely on your own knowledge and memory ( that in itself could be interesting) LOL.

1st question. When and where was the first Mustang seen and released for sale?
April 17th I meant, so my eyes are going...MS stinks! And it too was in New York, that's why the prototype was originally taken to New York. I can't remember the exact dealership though!

Back