MAA50TH The meaning behind the license plate

I've had flashbacks of the motel what direction to turn over the last couple of weeks.11 of the last 14 nights have been in 6 different hotels, 7 different rooms , I gave up counting eating establishments

After a lot of welcomes and a few stories we were finally ready for the big day April 17 -2014 our pony's were turning 50 ! Off to the Track today!. We were lucky that the NSMC had registered as a club - that allowed us tor have dedicated parking just outside the entrance to the track and a club tent.
no long parking lot lines and no additional parking fees. Once we inside the gate is was a Mustang lovers heaven. First up was a large tent with the original #001 convertible that had been sold in NFLD there were cars representing every style of Mustang on display and this was just the entrance to the show, As we walked around there were many Ford vendors, Ford Racing parts were there, Roush haFord ped a large display. There was almost too much to take in.. Trackside there was an announcement of a Birthday celebration and a 2015 mustang was driven in to many oooo's and aaahhhh"s .
There were Ford people everywhere - lots of trinkets
Here is Rich at the Roush booth

Lisa parked in the infield

IMG_0578.JPG

Saw this just inside the racetrack

IMG_0599.JPG

After a long day (Thursday) at the track we headed back to the hotel,

Attachments

• IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
Word has it he built this car, put it in the glass trailer and won't drive it because it might get dirt on it. A shame I think, they were meant to be driven.
IMG_0709.JPG

I got to meet one of the Ford family . Edsel Bryant Ford II is the great-grandson of Henry Ford and the son of Henry Ford II. He is currently a member of the board of directors of Ford Motor Company

IMG_0790.JPG

He looked at the map of where we had driven ( NS to California to Charlotte )and commented that we must be die hard Mustang fans to travel this far for a Birthday Party. What do you think?
The trip was far from over at this point

At the banquet we saw a few people we had traveled with on the MAA trip . At this table were Russ and Arlene from Florida - Some of you met them last year as they visited Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in their motor home.

IMG_1116.JPG

You can see Rich, Jason and I in the background.

As the banquet was winding down there were many lines for autographs and meet and greets.. As I stood in line a couple of gents commented they had need of knife for a couple of minutes to "rescue" one of the large red and white ROUSH banners. Being a nice guy I lent out my trusty pocket knife and they soon returned , very happy with their one banner. As they returned my knife I joking asked for the "rental fee" - they asked what was the fee? I said A BANNER! they quickly rescued another and the deal was done . 3 happy campers that day ! But maybe none in the Roush tent?

Off to the hotel for some well needed sleep. My feet are sore This was my first day doing much walking in almost 3 weeks !

Friday will be a busy day

Seems like yesterday but 3 years ago tonight March 28th, the car was cleaned, the trunk was packed, the gas tank was full and 3 Maritime Mustang owners ( would be 4 soon after we returned ) were ready for a trip across America to join MUSTANGS ACROSS AMERICA for their 50th anniversary drive. Not sure about the other houses but not much sleep had here as the last details were spinning in my head. Some time soon I'll finish the story but for now all I'll say is what I wonderful time we had. Many thanks to the other 3 that were crazy enough to come with me Jason, Denis and Rich. I knew we would meet up with a Maritime couple on the trip but that's another story!

When do we go again? Only 2 years till the 55th ! Would I be that crazy? Better not answer that one.

Back to the story ! The big Birthday celebrations continued past the 17th. Too bad the weather would not cooperate! it was really cool - may be 50 deg F on the 18th. I was over to the track early but had a pick up to do at the airport. When I had planned this trip I tried to get Jackie to come down to Charlotte but she had not made up her mind until she forum a special event - one other than the 50th - for her to attend. Well she found it ! Seems Bruce Springsteen was in concert Saturday night in Charlotte. Jackie flew down Friday and stayed until Monday.

Saturday was a rainy day - I felt sorry for the people who had booked their track time for Saturday Paid 250 us to lap the track slowly in the rain!
JAckie and Lisa hit the Quilt shops, we went visiting the race shops - went to Earnhardt facility - lots of history there !

IMG-20140419-00234.jpg

we had nosebleed seats but what a great show he put on! played from 7:30 until 10:30 with no breaks - then the lights went off no encore - nothing
% minutes later the band and Bruce returned and played for another hour!.
IMG-20140419-00233.jpg

Sunday was a sunny day at last - not warm but at least the sun was out

We went back to the track to see the remaining vendors - Lots of cars in the infield today - saw some people lining up for a chance of 2 laps on the track - the line must have been 300 people long ! looks like No track runs for me said I !

Attachments

• IMG-20140419-00224.jpg
    IMG-20140419-00224.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0
Back