MAA50TH The meaning behind the license plate

Yup Rich woke up in time to find us a great lunch spot on Sunday. Sunday was not a wonderful day as all of us were tired. I believe Denis and Jason shared the sleeping and driving times. If sound recorders had been in both cars on Sunday there would have been snoring noises that would have drowned out exhaust and supercharger whine I'm sure! We survived , we slept and are back to normal - well as close to normal as Mustangers get.

In my defense.... We wanted to protect the front end, but the bra ended up doing more damage than the stone chips!

I really wanted to stay awake and keep you company but the exhaust noise turned into a lullaby and off I went.

Bra did some damage? Interesting. I have one for the Saleen but I've never used it. If this is the case I don't think I really want to use it lol. Might have to sell.

Well as the afternoon progressed the weather got worse. As we headed for Jackson Mississippi the rain started, then just poured. The temperature must have dropped 15 degrees F in the past hour. We passed several groups traveling by motorcycle. I doubt if they could have gotten any wetter driving in a river. I was glad for the 4 wheels and a retractable top that was latched firmly closed that trip. As we drove Rich was chasing the weather reports. We were about 2 miles ahead of a major cell that was being watched for funnel cloud formation. I was glad to find our route diverting right as that weather headed left! Too close for comfort ! Our evening ball game in Jackson got cancelled due to the downpours but another good meal and time for some sleep. The group has been getting bigger the last few days, I think we have over 350 cars in the parking lots tonight. I'm still searching for a 05-09 like mine. - none seen yet! Atlanta will be the goal tomorrow, let's hope for some clear weather.

Last edited:
No Title

Evening of April 14 in the rain @ Jackson hotel, parked beside Mustang One - Sams lead car for MAA50TH

When I checked into the hotel I said - "only Brymer for tonight," to my surprise they said no - there are two ! Unfortunately I did not find the other one. Its not a common name.

The next morning we woke to sunshine for the trip to Atlanta- not warm - but sunny!

April 15-2014 we are heading for Atlanta Georgia with about 350 cars. The local news outlets have sent crews to film us leaving the parking lot after the drivers meeting. We are in the south but I don't feel the warm weather. Seems like we are now on the cold side of the weather front that brought us all the rain yesterday. on our way we had a couple of stops - Lunch was one
We stopped in Opelika, Alabama at an O'Charley's, the food was great, and our waitress was a 2006 Mustang owner. We gave her a Nova Scotia Mustang Club Shirt and her manager agreed she could wear it the rest of the shift . Time for pictures and then off to the 40 deg banking of the raceway in Talladega !

We were one of the last groups to take the tour. The other groups did not get to go on the track as Mercedes was there testing for the day. We had a great driver on the tour bus, lots of stories He told us the difference between motor coaches and motor homes--- about a million dollars! He also told us a normal rave would take about 4 hours to complete, then he pointed to the beer garden and the parking lot. He said after the race was over it would take about 4 hours to get out of the parking lot so may folks just headed to the beer tent or continued the tailgate party. He was also helpful in pointing out where the local enforcement people parked - just in case we decided to leave the track with racing spirit . He was right on with the location!

Video from in and around Jackson stop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKd1HcRvxbo

Attachments

• photo662.jpg
    photo662.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo663.jpg
    photo663.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo665.jpg
    photo665.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
No Title

Some of the Talladega sights

From the days when the ford Flat heat engine was king

P1110402.JPG

P1110378.JPG

P1110396.JPG

Y ou would have to crawl up that banking 40 deg in places !
Imagine paving that place-- they had to anchor the pavers and rollers to dozers outside the track to keep them upright and not falling down the track

P1110380.JPG

Attachments

• photo670.jpg
    photo670.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
Arrived in Atlanta
Yup we are in the south, High ceilings, grand structures beautiful streets to drive to the downtown hotel location

IMG_0552.JPG

Room registration continues - nothing happens fast in the south!

IMG_0550.JPG

Evening of April 15-2014
In the Hotel lobby 2 floors below our room - looks like some serious discussions - Sam , Big Daddy and Carol. How do we get 450 cars into Charlotte to the registration area with the smallest disruption ?
The organizers know we are coming -- but will they be ready for us?? That was the million dollar question ! answers at 2 PM April 16th!

Attachments

• IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0552.JPG
    IMG_0552.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 0
April 16 2014

As we head for the drivers meeting there are close to 450 cars in the parking lot, all ready to head for Ford and MCA's biggest party yet the 50th birthday of our beloved Mustang. Even though we are all heading to the same location we know there are people we likely will not see again. Time to roam the lot and meet up before we head off. Destination Charlotte Motor Speedway. When you put 450 Mustangs on the road at a rate of about 30 a minute it takes a while to empty the parking lot. the first car was almost 15 miles down the road when the last car pulled out. Sam had called ahead to let the organizers know when we would be arriving but they were not ready ! We joined the 4500+ other cars in the parking lots , on the side of the road waiting to move into the registration area. We final got parked and walked inside and found Rick Colwell who had collected all the club packages ! Way to go Rick!
Off to the hotel and some much needed rest and relaxation. When we got to the hotel we found to 15 + cars that had traveled from NSMC direct to Charlotte. Lots of Stories to tell on both sides.

Sam Mustang 1 Arizona
IMG_0732.JPG

Big Daddy Richard from Nevada IMG_0729.JPG

A couple from New Mexico I had met on the 2009 , MAA 45th run
IMG_0730.JPG

This one from Washington, there was another from New York and one more US State

IMG_0731.JPG

Plus the one from Nova Scotia , some of you have seen this plate
IMG_0728.JPG

Well Its evening on April 16 - 2014 -I've got the bug guts washed off the car again The big MCA party begins tomorrow but for me so far its been all about the journey, not really the destination. Its going to seem strange to be coming back to the same hotel for the next 5 nights. No routes to plan, no weather to check for 500 miles in advance. There will be traffic and line up's I'm sure but they will be made up of people, not cars.

For the last 18 nights I've have stayed in 17 different hotels, one night we even had 2 hotels because of the fire!
I know I'm going to miss the road tomorrow even though there will be lots to do. Our MAA50TH trip was over a year in planning and now that portion is done except for the banquet on the 20th. Oh the stories will continue as the party ,a little cruise, a concert and a trip home still await us

Last edited:
Finally found one of the registration line up pictures

IMG_0691.JPG

Lots of NSMC members in this shot ! Dave Leblanc, George Anderson, Joanne, Bob L from Truro !
This is the line up that I avoided thanks to Rick. The line went back around the corner .It extended in front of these people as far as it did behind.

One of the nice things about arriving in Charlotte was staying in the same hotel for a few nights running. A lot of hotels look the same inside and remembering which way was out after half a dozen differnt rooms could be interesting

Back