Barn Finds

Only 13K Miles! 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

I generally eschew high dollar collector cars, the auctions and well-known auto pundits do a pretty thorough job of covering that end of the hobby. I like to lurk around in the more pedestrian side of driver quality cars or maybe even what passes for a wreck that isn’t as done as it initially appears. But when I came across this 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429, I had zero choice but to dive in and look closer at this holy grail muscle car. It is located in Elk Grove Village, Illinois and available here on eBay for a current bid of $143,820, reserve not yet met.

I can recall when both the Boss 302 and 429 Mustangs were introduced. I preferred the 429 version because of its excessively clean styling and lack of trim as opposed to the busier 302 variant. I had no idea of the significance between the two cars and how the Boss 429 contained no ordinary 429 CI engine as you saw badged on the fender of a Country Squire station wagon. I’m not much of a historian but I can tell you that the entire story around the design and creation of the Boss 429 along with the Kar Kraft connection and NASCAR’s involvement is a fascinating read. We won’t see the likes of an undertaking like that again.

This mustang was owned by its original owner until 1981, and in that twelve years, saw only 13K miles pass beneath its modified shock towers. Since ’81, this Boss has been a garage dweller, accumulating another 30 miles and now it’s for sale. It would seem that both owners knew exactly what they possessed, this was no ordinary Mustang. And examining the images, one can tell this Mustang is in excellent 51-year-old condition, not perfect but in very sound shape. The Wimbleton White finish has nicely aged with a few small nicks but it still has depth and sheen. The minimally adorned body panels hang straight and give no evidence of prior damage. I prefer the body-colored hood scoop on this ’69 example as opposed to the universally black finished scoop as found on the ’70 version. No need to go for Goodyear reproduction Polyglas tires, this Mustang still has its originals, though I would be inclined to limit my motoring and speed on this half-century-old rubber. As is typical, this Boss is equipped with Magnum 500 wheels and there is no sign of thin surface rust invading the chrome rims which seems to happen over time.

The interior of this Ford shows little to no wear though it is rather moldy. The black upholstery fabric, which was the only way the Boss 429 rolled, needs a deep, thorough cleaning but that’s about it. The instrument panel, in particular, looks like new. And a simple, functional instrument panel it is, much preferred to the complex mish-mash often found in more modern cars. As with so many uber, performance cars offered by domestic manufacturers in that halcyon year of 1969, A/C was not an option on the Boss 429 Mustang.

What makes the Boss 429 is its 429 CI, 375 gross HP, V8 engine. Designed for racing modification for NASCAR’s high banks at Daytona or Talledega, this unique motor went the homologation route via the Mustang as opposed to the Torino which was Ford’s primary NASCAR entry. We can debate the horsepower output all-day long and I don’t want to dwell on that aspect of this special engine but it’s not hard to imagine that this big Ford motor was probably underrated. And it makes for an impressive sight with its massive semi-hemi cylinder heads, it is a physically huge engine. Curiously, for such a grade-A muscle car, there is no discussion regarding its operational capability. All Boss 429’s came equipped with a four-speed manual transmission and this example is no different.

This major-domo Mustang is one of 857 produced in ’69 (there were two Mercury Cougars produced with this behemoth engine too). If I have interpreted the Kar Kraft (the firm that made the front-end modifications to accommodate the engine) numbering sequence, this example was the 320th produced. While I’m not a Ford guy, I think this Boss 429 is an absolutely top-flite example of the intersection of domestic performance auto production and motorsports, a bygone era that will not return. Take the motorsports component out of the equation and what’s left is one of the most impressive muscle cars of the time. I’ll never own one, I wouldn’t know what to do with it considering the value (not that I could afford it). I have seen these special cars trade well north of $200K so it’s hard to say where this example will top out. The value has jumped $2,000 while I have been writing this article so we’ll have to keep an eye on it. I know many of our readers bemoan special cars that are hermetically sealed and traded solely on investment value. I’m of that same frame of mind too but I’m afraid that this Boss 429 is destined to stay in investors’ hands, don’t you think?
Have something to sell? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Boss 429 / Ford Mustang

SHARETWEET

Instant Collectible? 1993 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

Chevrolet created a stir in 1990 when they introduced a full-size half-ton performance pickup called the 454SS. Sure, trucks like Dodge’s Lil’ Red Express came out long before 1990, but the Chevy SS was the start of the fuel-injected power wars of the 90s. Ironically, Ford introduced the F-150 SVT Lightning in 1993 to compete with the 454SS, which was discontinued the same year. Ford would go on to produce the Lightning until 1995 and then re-introduce it with a new body style in 1999. This particular truck is from 1993 and can be found here on eBay with a current bid of $10,700, the reserve hasn’t been met yet. It shows less than 90K original miles on the odometer and looks like a very nice survivor. Located in Katonah, New York, it is ready for a new home and is bound to be a future collectible. Take a look.

The interior is very clean and there are a ton of photos in the ad documenting every detail. These trucks were loaded with options including two-tone charcoal fabric featuring Lightning embroidery, matching carpet, and two-tone plastic trim. They also featured power windows and locks, cruise control and an AM/FM stereo with a cassette player! This one also has a CB radio installed. As mentioned before, there are just over 86k miles showing on the odometer!

For reasons not explained in the ad, there are no photos of the engine, however, this photo will give you an idea of what it would have looked like back in 1993. Hopefully, the seller will provide some photos of the engine to any prospective buyers. The engine is a 5.8-liter Windsor V8 with GT-40 iron heads that was rated at 240 horsepower. The transmission is a 4-speed automatic that spins to 4.10 gears in the limited-slip differential. The ad says “A general inspection was completed, by our in house mechanic, in preparation for the sale.” so I’m guessing they may be a dealer?

As you can tell, the Lightning had a ton of body-colored accessories including the grille, spoiler, and bumpers. This one also features a color-matched ARE hard tonneau cover. Overall, it looks like a great truck that is probably still fun to drive. What do you think?

More: Ford / Lightning / SVT

Shortbed Survivor! 1970 Ford F100 Pickup

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

This 1970 Ford F-100 short box looks like a great drive it as you fix it project. Although there isn’t much history in the ad, it seems like a pretty original truck. It can be found for sale here on eBay with a current bid of $6,000 and the reserve hasn’t been met yet. Apparently it spent most of its life in Virginia but now resides in Stoughton, Wisconsin and has a clear WI title. These 5th-gen F-100’s continue to be very popular and prices keep rising. Take a look at this awesome example and see if it is a winner in your mind.

The engine is the original 360 cubic inch V8 backed by a 3-speed manual transmission. There’s no photo of the VIN tag in the ad, but it does say the VIN is F10YNH70848. F10 = F-100 2wd, Y = 360 cid, N = Norfolk, VA plant, H70848 = March 1970. If this truck was previously registered in Virginia, it may have been manufactured and sold there! The ad says the truck has factory power steering, which is nice. You can see it has manual brakes, which could be easily upgraded. Also, you can see the heater core has been bypassed, probably due to a leak inside the cab. The ad says it runs and drives great, which is a big plus.

The interior looks very nice and original as well. Even the dash pad and seat cover look great. The ad does say the green floor mat is original. There is quite a bit of aftermarket support for these trucks, so if there’s anything that needs to be replaced or updated, most parts aren’t too hard to find.

The seller says the truck is very solid and they have included several photos of the undercarriage as well. The ad does say the paint has been touched up in spots and the chrome/trim is in “generally good condition.” Overall, this seems to be a really nice truck and probably a good investment. I’m not sure what the reserve is, but if it isn’t much over the current bid, this is probably going to be a winner for the buyer. What do you think?

More: F-100 / Ford

Good Candidate for a Coyote Swap.

Super Survivor: 1983 Ford LTD Country Squire

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

Last week, we took a look at a 1972 Buick Sportswagon, a sharp-looking well-preserved station wagon. So while still being in that station wagon vein, here’s another, that at one time was a very common sight on U.S. roadways. It is a 1983 Ford LTD Country Squire, located in Pheonix, Arizona and available here on eBay for a current bid of $4,900, thirteen bids tendered so far.

Country Squire was a long-serving Ford model name for its top drawer station wagon with production spanning the years from 1950 until 1991. By the time this ’83 example, one of about 20K produced that model year, was assembled, station wagons weren’t yet under the assault of the nascent mini-van boom but in another year that would start to change. Interesting juxtaposition between this wagon and the aforementioned Buick. While the Buick had a light, stylish, breezy air about itself, this Country Squire is more formal and somber, almost casket like, somewhat brought about by its slab sides and wood grain character.

I’ll get the most obvious, subjective, visual out of the way first. The wood grain contact-paper sides are cheesy looking. I get the entire wood-paneled look stemming back to a time when a station wagon was a wagon used to transport passengers to and from a train station. I even get the real wood construction (Woodies) that was present up through about 1951 but the painted or veneered wood grain seems pointless. Nevertheless, it was popular, with all manufacturers, not just Ford. And the wood applique on this Country Squire is in top condition, it has held up very well over its 37 years. Furthermore, the Medium Blue Metallic finish is excellent as well. The seller claims that this Coronado Beach, California wagon has always been garaged and has only experienced 53K miles – its stellar appearance further testament to regular maintenance and proper storage.

The interior’s condition mirrors the exterior’s condition. While the upholstery is a blue vinyl material, it’s actually rich (never thought I would refer to vinyl as “rich”) looking, a very comfortable and welcoming environment. There is typical fake wood trim applied to the dash but it’s not overwhelming, a bit restrained actually. This wagon is an eight (or nine if you’re all good friends) passenger version and features Ford’s “opposed” way-back seats instead of a wider bench that faces rearward. The interior panels in the way-back area are free of scuffs and gouges which indicates that this Ford wagon has not been used to haul anything substantial or damaging. The interior really needs nothing.

Under the hood is a 5.0 liter (302 CI) V8 engine that develops 145 net HP, driving through a four-speed automatic transmission. The seller states, “The wagon is a daily driver that runs incredibly strong …” I would think this wagon’s straight-line performance would be sluggish though the 0-60 MPH time was recorded as 12.1 seconds, reasonable for the time. Probably quite a bit slower with eight or nine (friendly) passengers. Ford has built its share of great engines (and turkeys too) but I would put their 5.0 at the head of the class.

The old dilemma exists – this is an excellent example of what was once a mainstay of America’s suburban driveways. Buy it and drive it, and that excellence will slowly subside no matter how much care its new owner bestows upon it. But then what’s the point of buying it and sitting on it? One should derive good utility and get some driving enjoyment out of this extra-nice Ford. The bid is reasonable, for now, but there are still three days to go so we’ll have to see where this Country Squire tops out. If you were interested, what would you do with this ’83 LTD County Squire station wagon?

More: Ford Country Squire

I like this one, and it's not White (y)

56K Mile Survivor: 1986 Ford Bronco XLT

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

How long has it been since you’ve seen a Ford Bronco that wasn’t rusty, a project, or “cut” and/or “uncut”? Ok, it’s only been a couple of weeks but for every nice Bronco, there are several project Broncos out there. This really nice full-sized 1986 Ford Bronco XLT can be found here on eBay in Gresham, Oregon, about 15 miles east of Portland. The bids are at $11,000 and there is no reserve.

This is more of an evening-on-the-town Bronco than a down-the-muddy-trail Bronco, but I’m sure it could still hold its own off of paved roads. The red accent color on the wheels is a very nice detail. This amazing Bronco has a mere 56,320 miles on it which would be an average of 1,656 miles over the last 34 years. You can see some worn paint on the edges of the front fenders and roof.

This is the last year of the third-generation Bronco and the XLT version was the top factory trim-level. There was also an Eddie Bauer trim Bronco with a two-tone paint scheme and special interior. This beautiful blue Bronco has never been painted or touched-up and has never been in the accident. It has also never left the Northwest which could explain the incredibly solid condition. That’s my favorite part of the US to buy vehicles from.

As with the exterior, the interior looks great in this Bronco. Surprisingly, even on the top trim level models, there was no leather option. That’s unheard of today, how times have changed. This one has manually-adjustable seats but power seats would have been an option. The back seat looks even nicer than the front seat does, which is often the case. They say that the rear window doesn’t operate but they’ll fix it at the end of the sale.

The engine is Ford’s 351 Windsor V8 which would have had 210 hp and 305 ft-lb of torque. The seller says that this Bronco runs, drives, and handles excellently and it sure looks great. Are there any full-sized Bronco fans out there?

More: 4X4 / Ford Bronco

SHARETWEET

S-Code 390 Project: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Todd Fitch
Todd Fitch

If you’re headed to Las Vegas, Nevada for some gambling, be sure to check out this 1967 Ford Mustang fastback! The original S-code four-barrel 390 cid (6.4L) V8 cashed in its chips some time ago, so you won’t hit the jackpot at the Amelia Island Concours anytime soon, but it will be a while before the market softens on 390 fastback Mustangs. Along with the missing mill, this Pony’s got more rust than an abandoned ore mine too. Sure; those elements conspire to stack the deck against it, but when it comes to desirable pony cars, the ’67 Mustang fastback is hard to beat. The listing here on eBay has lured at least six bidders, raising the stakes on this roller above $16,000.

Tip your brimmed black hat to the listing’s photographer for rounding up a posse of high-resolution pictures. The latter show areas of heavy rust and other details of the car’s inside, outside, and undercarriage. Of course everyone carries a camera these days on their phone, but most sellers are greenhorns when it comes to composing a decent car picture. Well done, seller.

Despite the Mojave zip code, rust in every crevice could have this forlorn Ford hailing from New England. Still, you can buy anything for this car, including the missing console. Some replacement parts come with the purchase, upping the ante for prospectors smelling gold in this-here Pony-car corral.

The C6 automatic transmission remains, though not fully functional. The 1967 Mustang fastback holds two spots on Hagerty’s list of “Ten Best Movie Mustangs” list, and it’s the foundation for another, the famed “Eleanor” GT-500 Mustang in Gone in 60 Seconds. Shall I go on? One more; few outside die-hard Mustang spotters could tell this ’67 fastback in Moss Green from the ’68 Bullitt fastback in Highland Green. The latter made a splash by returning to the lime light in 2018. This car could make a splendid tribute to any of those famous cars, or you can become famous in the enthusiast community by putting it nearly back to stock.

While the included Marti report shows the “Exterior Decor Group,” that package’s louvered hood with integral driver-facing turn signal indicators has been replaced with a standard hood, and the bright wheel arch moldings have vanished like tumbleweeds. Would you sell the ranch to take a gamble on this western Pony?

More: Ford / Mustang

Mustang Sibling: 1986 Mercury Capri 5.0

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

While survivor Fox body Mustangs show up with some regularity, the same cannot be said for its corporate sibling, the Mercury Capri. This is the top-shelf RS/5.0 model with the venerable V8 under the hood paired to a 5-speed manual transmission. The RS/5.0 models also got the sweet air dam in front and the factory-installed Marchal driving lamps, along with the upgraded sport interior featuring deeply bolstered bucket seats. Mileage is listed as being 84,000 and the Capri is described as a weekend-only driver, which is evident in the strong cosmetics. Find it here on eBay with bidding at $9,100 and the reserve unmet.

The seller refers to it as an RS model, but the reality is Ford dropped that branding beginning in ’86, labeling the performance model simply the 5.0. While I understand the universal appeal of Ford’s venerable V8 engine, I also find it odd that they’d drop the nomenclature that helped set the Capri apart from its brawny sibling. Much of what Ford wanted to with Mercury centered around a desire for European car buyers to consider Mercury as an alternative to imports, and the styling of the Capri was designed to reflect that. To my mind, throwing the 5.0 badges on the fender just makes it another Mustang with a different name, not a high-line hatchback.

Regardless, the Capri still attempted to impress shoppers with its upscale duds, including an interior that, while it closely resembled that of the Mustang GT, it was still a fair upgrade over the standard interior. The “articulated sport seats” always struck me as one of the best-looking alternatives to Recaro seats ever made, which even paid homage to the legendary seat builder with netted headrests. The interior of this Capri remains in exceptionally nice condition, with no obvious damage or tears to the upholstery, and the center console and dash remaining in sound, un-cracked condition. Overall, it looks far better than you’d expect in a car with mileage approaching 90K.

I believe 1986 was the year that Ford introduced fuel injection for its V8 models, which utilized Bosch injectors and yielded a slight reduction in horsepower but a respectable increase in torque. This example looks quite nice for its odometer reading, and is an intriguing choice if you’re a Fox body fan but feel like the Mustang of this generation is getting a bit played out. The Capri is a hard car to find these days, especially in V8/ RS form. The seller notes a new exhaust has been installed and that everything is in working order. While it’s hard to say where the reserve price should be, I fully expect this survivor sibling to sell with no issue.

More: Capri / Mercury

Best in the World? 2,000 Mile 1992 Ford Bronco

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

It’s a bold claim to call your vehicle the best in the world, but this 1992 Ford Bronco with just 2,000 original miles may in fact be one of the best in existence. It’s hard not to be with mileage just over what some vehicles would rack up in a months’ time. The Bronco is equipped with the desirable combination of the overbuilt 4.9L inline-six paired to a manual transmission, and has been kept in a climate-controlled collection since new. Between the low miles and the six cylinder, it’s hard to deny the want factor is strong. Find it here on eBay with bidding approaching $27K and the reserve unmet.

The Bronco wears Dark Shadow Blue Metallic paint, which the seller says “…looks like glass,” which it should given the low miles. Of course, we’ve seen plenty of vehicles bought as investments and then get stuck in a poor storage arrangement, so low miles is no guarantee of outstanding condition. This Bronco was clearly purchased with the intent to preserve it knowing there would be a demand for such a honest off-roader in the future, and given the drivetrain’s reputation for extreme durability, the original owner certainly spec’d it in such a way that almost any enthusiast would know it’s the one to get.

The interior is what does it for me, as far as assuaging any doubts that this Bronco has been cared for like any vehicle bought as an investment. It’s just too nice to be anything other than how it’s described here. The floor liner is perfect, the seats look brand new, and the black rubber pieces show virtually zero signs of age or sun exposure. The same goes for door panels, dash, and, well – everything else. It’s a new 1992 Ford Bronco. How often does that happen? The seller doesn’t go into explicit detail in the listing, but the description does note the truck is equipped with a limited-slip differential.

Mechanically-speaking, there’s not much to say about a truck that hasn’t been used, other than to determine whether it’s still been maintained despite its extended period of little to no use. The seller mentions there are receipts for regular oil changes, so hopefully this means the Bronco was also treated to the occasional coolant flush and fluid swaps in the differential and transmission – sure, it’s probably fine if it wasn’t, but that’s the mark of a true investment piece: over-maintained even if it never drives anywhere. Speaking of driving, would you continue to store this Bronco or actually put some miles on the clock?

I Want It! 1959 Ford Country Sedan Wagon

Jamie Palmer
Jamie Palmer

When I saw the pictures of this stunning 1959 Ford Country Sedan Wagon I claimed it to write immediately. Great looking car, great photography! It’s listed for sale here on eBay and is located in Lodi, California (not a guarantee of a solid body, but it’s a promising sign. It’s also 2,769 miles away from my home, which is a good thing for my bank account). 16 bids so far have raised the price to $12,700 (there’s not a reserve) but it wouldn’t surprise me if there are more bids coming.

Holy cow, what a car! Resplendent in Wedgewood Blue and Colonal White and only showing a believable 92,000 miles, this true California black plate car has been regularly shown over the last 25 years and has won some awards in the process. It’s easy to see why.

Chrome, paint and details combine to make this a striking car. We really don’t know how much is original on this one; I’m sure it’s been repainted looking at the pictures, but I suppose the chrome could have been kept this nicely.

Ford knew what the styling would do for them on the sales floor and highlighted it in their 1959 wagon brochure. Interesting turn of a phrase there, don’t you think?

As I’ve noted before, I don’t mind the tasteful addition of extra instrumention if it wasn’t there in the original car. I’ll take a gauge over an idiot light any day of the week. You’re keeping track of that original 332 cubic inch V-8 which is connected to the delightfully named “Ford-O-Matic” automatic transmission. Just imagine how a family drive would be in this great wagon!

One of the great things about a seller showing you the VIN plate in an ad is that it gives you the opportunity to do some more research. And through the magic of the internet, we can learn all kinds of things.

For example, who knew that handsome interior was actually Radiant Blue and Blue Shantung Vinyl? It’s also neat to see that not only did this car spend its life in California, but it was actually produced there as well.

The 332 V-8 isn’t know as the most powerful engine, but that’s not the purpose here, and it will provide plenty of motivation for the type of driving you’d be doing with this car. I only wish it were me! Let us know what you think about this 1959 Ford wagon and tell us if you’ve had any first-hand experiences with one!

More: Ford

Back Yard Find: 1970 Ford Mustang Mach I

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

Here’s a good example of, “What you see is what you get.” It’s a desirable model from the outset, a 1970 Ford Mustang Mach I. There are many thorough images and a pretty good description of the car but of course, one always has to dig deeper and that’s what we will do. This Mustang is located in Austin, Texas and is available here on eBay for a current bid of $4,506, reserve not yet met or a BIN price of $10,500.

The ’70 Mustang seems like the last of the original vintage that built the Mustang brand. While very similar to the preceding ’69, its ’71 successor was the BIG Mustang and its ’74 successor was the small, Pinto based Mustang II. All very subjective of course as the big Mustang and the Mustang II certainly have their share of fans but the ’69 and ’70 seem to have an extremely strong, enthusiastic following.

This particular example would seem to have been parked outside for some length of time. It’s not the exterior appearance so much, it isn’t covered with Live Oak mung, but it is pretty rusty inside and the fact that there is standing water in the passenger footwell and leaves scattered everywhere may be a clue. The erupting dash pad would be the result of a lot of outside sun exposure. The seller adds, “Front floor pans are rusty and will need to be replaced. I have a set of replacement pans but do not know the brand as they were in the car when I bought it”. While the door cards look done, the seats may actually be salvageable. It’s hard to tell as there is so much detritus in the car and the seats themselves are filthy. That said, the fabric does not look torn or split, so there’s a positive. In its day, this white Mach I with red upholstery would have been a real looker.

There is no image of the engine bay included but then there is nothing to see anyway as this Mustang is a non-running “M” code which means it originally housed a 351 CI “Cleveland” V8 engine capable of developing 300 gross HP. It is now gone as is the four-speed manual transmission. The seller has an appropriate engine and transmission, not the originals, but he states that the replacement engine needs to be rebuilt and neither it nor the transmission is included with the sale. The seller believes that the attached 9″ differential has a 5.38 spool so that may help explain what happened to the original, or any interim engines, that occupied the engine room. The M/T slicks are a tip-off too.

Outside really drives home the “what you see is what you get” bargain. There is a bad right side quarter, both quarters possess rust, a damaged front passenger side fender, a rusted out hood (leading edge), smashed grille and a rusty trunk lid. The seller says that he has replacements (though the replacement trunk lid is worse than the one in place) but it doesn’t sound as if any of those items are sale included. The seller adds, “All of that being said it is a pretty solid car for its age”. He does mention that the frame rails and torque boxes are solid.

No denying this is a classic Mustang but it would seem to have been rode (raced) hard and put away wet. Besides the obvious missing powertrain, it’s going to take a lot of effort to bring this Mach I back to roadworthy, driver status, much less a full restoration. No idea where the reserve has been set for this Ford but the BIN price of $10,500 is a bit of an indicator and the initial thought is that this may not be the best example for a project. What’s your thought, not that big a deal or hold out for a better example?

More: Ford Mustang / Mach 1

Competition Yellow: 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

It is almost an inevitability that First Generation Mustang project cars will provide their owners with rust issues that will need to be addressed. These problems can range from the fairly innocuous to the pretty awful. This 1970 Mustang Mach 1 does have some rust that will need to be attended to, but it doesn’t appear to be particularly bad. The owner says that what the car needs is someone willing to work their magic on it. The big question is, could that person be you? If so, then you will find the Mustang located in Seagoville, Texas, and is listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $7,400 on the Mach 1, and the reserve has been met.

I’m not going to pretend that the Competition Yellow Mustang is perfect, because it most certainly isn’t. It would appear that it has been the recipient of some previous repair work because the passenger-side rear quarter panel has very obviously been replaced at some point. Given the amount of Bondo that has been used to disguise the weld that joins the quarter panel to the C-pillar, it does place a pretty decent question mark over the quality of this work. Having said that, the quarter panel itself looks to be in good condition, so maybe this can be addressed without the need to replace the panel for a second time. As far as what things are like below the surface, there appears to be some pretty good news. I will admit that the photos that the owner supplies are a bit limited, but what can be seen of the floors, torque boxes, the shock towers, and the frame rails, look remarkably solid. There is some surface corrosion visible, but there is no obvious rust-through. We can’t see the state of the trunk pan, but if the Mustang has spent any significant time in Texas, there is some cause to be quietly optimistic about that area of the car. There is rust in some of the bolt-on panels such as the fenders and the hood, and the owner suggests that it would probably be better to replace these rather than mess about trying to undertake repairs.

The interior of the Mach 1 is complete, but it does look pretty tired. When you look at the state of the dash pad, the fact that the carpet and headliner require replacement, and the fact that the door trims have been cut to fit speakers, the idea of simply buying a trim kit does have its attractions. Probably the single most expensive item that will require replacement is the rim blow steering wheel. This one looks like it might be beyond salvation, so the next owner would need to set aside somewhere around $700 for a replacement. There is an aftermarket radio/8-track player fitted to the Mach 1, but it doesn’t appear as though the dash has been cut to fit this. One nice bonus is the fact that the Mustang does come equipped with air conditioning.

Further, good news with the Mach 1 comes in the form of it being a numbers-matching car. It isn’t just numbers-matching, but it also runs and drives. What we find is an H-Code 351ci V8, producing 250hp. This is backed by a 3-speed automatic transmission, with the car also bringing power steering and power disc brakes to the table. While the vehicle does run and drive, the owner says that the transmission does slip out of gear. Given the fact that the Mustang retains all of its original mechanical components, it would seem to be well worth the effort and expense to have the transmission checked and repaired if needed. Retaining these original components will certainly maximize its ultimate value once the restoration has been completed. The owner suggests that as well as having the transmission repaired, the vehicle would benefit from a tune-up before it is fit for regular road use.

We see our share of Mustang project cars here at Barn Finds, and some of those cars can represent restorations that manage to go way beyond daunting. This one looks like it is a fairly reasonable one, and if the car is as structurally sound as the photos would tend to suggest, then it could be a fairly straightforward proposition. Given the fact that nice, numbers-matching examples are continuing to hold their value so well, this is a project car that could be well worth the effort.

More: Ford / Mach 1 / Mustang

Rare Survivor: 1990 Ford Mustang 7-Up Convertible

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Many ideas seem like good ones at the time, but then turn out to be very bad ones. However, sometimes it is possible to salvage something worthwhile from what seems like a disaster, and that probably sums up the story behind the 1990 Ford Mustang LX Limited Edition Convertible. The car was originally being developed as a promotional “give away” for the 7-Up brand. The plan was to build 30 cars for the competition, but after only 2 had been built, the whole promotional scheme collapsed in a heap. In the end, Ford went ahead with production, but for an entirely different reason. This example is an extremely nice one and has been owned by some individuals who have been meticulous about not only protecting its originality but also its condition. The time has come for it to go to a new home, so if you think that the new home could be yours, you will find the Mustang located in Tampa, Florida, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $6,000 in a No Reserve auction. It is also worth noting that the owner appears to be extremely flexible, and might entertain the idea of a trade. So, if cash isn’t your strong suit but you have something interesting in the automotive domain, then it would be well worth contacting the owner and asking the question.

Plenty of work went into developing the distinctive vehicle that became known colloquially as the “7-Up Mustang.” However, when the promotional scheme collapsed, Ford was able to turn a potential disaster to their advantage. The reality was that the company was coming under increasing pressure from various quarters, as they had made no plans to develop a 25th Anniversary Mustang. The collapse of the 7-Up deal provided them with the car that they needed. Thus, instead of being known by the soda brand, the car became known as the Limited Edition. Likewise, instead of planning to build 30 cars, that number swelled to a planned 5,000. In the end, only 4,103 cars were built, but the extra volume at least covered the initial development costs. All examples of the Limited Edition were finished in Deep Emerald Green Clearcoat Metallic and featured color-keyed exterior trim, 15″ GT alloy wheels, and a White power top. Today, cars that are 30-years-old can begin to look quite tired, but that isn’t the case with this one. The panels look nice and straight, the paint has managed to retain a fantastic shine, the GT wheels look clean and free of any damage, while the White top remains not only tight but free of stains and discoloring.

Under the hood of the Limited Edition, you would always find the 5.0-liter HO V8 engine, producing 225hp. Other standard features included power steering, power brakes, a Traction-Lock rear end, and upgraded suspension with different spring and shocks. The big choice that owners had to make was between a 4-speed automatic transmission or the T5, 5-speed manual. Only 1,360 owners chose the T5, and that is what I believe that you will find in this one. Having said that, the owner lists it as both an auto and a manual, while the original Window Sticker indicates that it is a manual. Arrgh! The owner states that the Mustang has covered a genuine 73,000 miles, and given the amount of documentation that he appears to hold, I have no doubt that he will be able to verify this. The vehicle has recently been fitted with a new Flowmaster exhaust from front to back and also wears new tires. The owner states that the new exhaust is not overly loud and that the Mustang is a pleasure to drive. As well as the Window Sticker, the owner has quite a bit more documentation and memorabilia that is included with the car. Of these items, the unopened bottles of 7-Up from the abandoned promotional program must rate as both interesting and rare.

Choosing a Mustang Limited Edition in 1990 meant choosing an interior trimmed predominantly in white. You received white leather on the seats, along with lashings of white vinyl and white plastic as far as the eye could see. Now, white upholstery and trim are not the most forgiving in the world, and it isn’t at all unusual to see many trim and upholstery items looking stained and discolored after 30-years. That isn’t the case here, with the interior looking just as nice now as it did when the car was new. The outer bolster on the driver’s seat has started to compress a bit, but that is one of the few faults visible in an interior that is, let’s face it, very prone to having any issues show like flashing neon lights. As far as equipment levels are concerned, the Mustang is nicely outfitted in a 1990 context. What the owner got was a driver’s airbag, air conditioning, power windows, power locks, power exterior mirrors, tinted glass, a leather-wrapped wheel, cruise control, and an AM/FM stereo radio and cassette player.

One thing appears to be a fact of life with the Fox-body Mustangs, and that is that values have been creeping upwards at a steady rate over the past few years. What we’re talking about here is an increase across the board of around 30% over the past 5-years. That isn’t an enormous increase, but it is a healthy one nonetheless. This is a trend that looks set to continue, and where it would have been possible to secure a nice Limited Edition back then for around $11,000, today a similar car will fetch $15,000 or more. On face value, that is the sort of price that I would be expecting this car to achieve, so if someone can secure it for a lower figure, then it could be a pretty respectable investment.

More: 7-Up / Convertible / Ford / Mustang

56K Original Miles! 1971 Ford F-250

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

It seems like low-mileage, nice, original, 5th-generation Ford pickups are coming out of the woodwork like crazy lately. We’ve featured quite a few of these nice survivors here on Barn Finds recently and they keep popping up for sale. This one is a 56K original mile F-250 from 1971 and can be found here on eBay with a current bid of $4,550. Located in Cincinnati, Ohio, unfortunately, there isn’t a ton of information in the ad, but the pictures speak for themselves. This one is super-clean and you can tell it hasn’t been abused or worked hard. Have a look and see what you think.

You can see there’s a fairly large patch on what appears to be the factory seat cover. Other than that, the interior looks like it is in great condition. In fact, the door panels and headliner look really nice. Even if taken care of, the headliner is just thin cardboard and usually buckles and crumbles over the years. While these trucks only have a five-digit odometer, the claim of 56,554.9 original miles seems highly reasonable given the original condition of the truck.

The ad says the truck runs and drives well, but there aren’t any specifics on the condition of the 360 V8. It appears to be in good condition on the outside and you can tell there have been some routine items replaced. The top radiator hose appears new along with possibly the master cylinder? You can see the truck features power steering and brakes, which is a nice feature to have on these trucks.

The ad says the truck is a Camper Special as indicated from the hood emblem, but you can see the “Sport Custom” emblems on the bedsides as well. I’m not sure if this year of Ford had Camper Special and Sport Custom trim packages that were available together? If you know, leave us a comment. You can obviously see the truck has tie-downs on the bed, so it would handle a camper well. This truck is a real F-250 from the VIN indicated in the ad of F25YLK31742. F25 = F-250 2wd, Y = 360 V8, L = Michigan, K31742 = October 1970. Overall, this is a nice old truck that will probably serve the new owner with years of enjoyment!

More: F-250 / Ford

No Reserve: 1991 Ford F150 Nite Edition

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

When it comes to limited-edition vehicles, some are definitely better looking than others. I would class this 1991 Ford F150 Nite Edition as being one of the nicer offerings from any manufacturer. The Black paint, when combined with the unique side stripes and decals, results in a very sharp looking vehicle. This 1991 F150 Nite appears to be in very nice condition and is said to have a genuine 48,000 miles on the clock. Located in Darlington, Maryland, the Nite has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has been extremely spirited on the F150, but this has only pushed the price along to $3,550 in what is a No Reserve listing.

For the 1991 model year, the Nite package was only made available on the F150 with XLT Lariat trim. It was essentially an appearance option that brought Black paint, blacked-out exterior trim, alloy wheels, along with some very distinctive multi-color side stripes and decals in either predominantly blue or pink. This Nite features the blue stripes, and looking around the vehicle’s exterior, it seems to be very original. The panels appear to be straight, with no evidence of dings, dents, or ripples. It isn’t possible to get a clear look at the condition of the bed, but the owner does supply some photos of the F150’s underside, and it looks to be clean and rust-free. The original alloy wheels seem to be in great condition, and all five wheels wear matching Goodyear Wrangler tires that have plenty of tread on them.

Buyers in 1991 had the choice of two engines for their F150 Nite, and in this case, we find the fuel-injected 351ci V8. This engine produces 200hp, which is fed to a 4-speed automatic transmission. The Nite was only made available on the F150 in 4×4 form, and also included some upgrades to the suspension package as the only mechanical improvements. The engine and its surroundings look to be quite clean and tidy, but personally, I could do without the heavy coating of detail spray that is present. The owner claims that the F150 has covered a genuine 48,000 miles, and if this is accurate, then the vehicle should have plenty of life left in it. The Nite is not only fitted with good tires, but the entire exhaust from the manifold to the tailpipe has just been replaced.

In a vehicle of this type, it is courting disaster to have the interior trimmed in pale grey cloth, but that is precisely what the original owner chose to do with this one. After 29-years, it would seem reasonable to expect such trim to be showing its fair share of wear and staining, but that isn’t the case here. The seat has some wrinkling on the driver’s side outer edge, but beyond that, it is in impressive condition. The seats, dash, door trims, carpet, and the headliner, all appear to be free of stains or problems. The correct “Nite” badge remains in place on the dash, and even the original Slate-colored Nite mats are still on the floor. The factory radio has been replaced with a CD player, and apart from that and the cover on the wheel, it remains unmolested. As well as looking extremely neat and tidy, the interior carries some nice equipment. Looking around inside you will find air conditioning, power windows, power locks, and cruise control.

With the 1991 F150 Nite Edition, one of its greatest frustrations is that while it is known that it was built in relatively limited numbers, no-one seems to be able to confirm just what those production totals are. The fact is that the Nite package was only available for the 1991 and 1992 model years before Ford chose to discontinue it. It is possible to find a few for sale today, but as is the case with so many of these vehicles from this period, the majority have lived hard lives, and tend to have been beaten mercilessly. This one is a really tidy and clean example, and with such low mileage, it is one that should have many years of life left in it. So, for the person who is searching for something a bit unusual and classy in a pickup, this could be worth a serious look.

More: F150 / Ford / Nite

SHARETWEET

Peach State Find: 1966 Ford F100 Flareside

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

If you watch the televised auto auctions or actually attend one, you’ll notice all of the recent focus on ’67 to ’72 Chevrolet and GMC pickup trucks. They’re hot, to say the least. But Ford has some game in this arena too and shouldn’t be overlooked. And here is a perfect example, a 1966 Ford F-100 Flareside short bed pickup. It is located in Buckhead (Atlanta), Georgia and is available here on eBay for a BIN price of $7,500. Thanks to Ikey H. for this tip!

Ford offered both “Styleside” and “Flareside” pickups in its 1966 F100 lineup, this example being the shorter 115″ wheelbase as opposed to the longer 129″ wheelbase version. The appearance of this Ford looks almost staged, it’s that perfectly worn with its extremely faded, code “J” Rangoon Red finish, dosed with a good smattering of surface rust. The combination really sets it off. This baby was no boulevard cruiser back in its day as so many modern pickups are destined to be. This F100 worked for a living and has some battle scars in its bed to prove its worth. All that said, the body seems to be completely intact with no sign of crash damage, fallen trees, mishappen fence posts, invasive rust or any of the other mayhem that befalls a working truck. The white stripe tires with doggie bowl hubcaps are a nice, simple diversion from what is frequently found on a pickup of this nature.

The interior is a study in minimalism, completely typical for a domestic truck in the ’60s. It even has a bolt-in FM tuner, the likes of which I haven’t seen in many years. The seat fabric doesn’t look original, it has that famous GM ’80s bordello red velour look about it so maybe it has been reupholstered. There is surface rust on the dash and the white instrument panel seems out of place, though maybe that’s typical, but nothing major – it looks like it should, or how one would expect a 54-year-old pickup truck’s interior to appear. Forget about creature comforts like A/C, power windows/door locks, a power seat or power brakes, nothing but the basics here. It would appear that this F100 has manual steering too so there’s a way to get a little upper body workout.

Under the hood is a 208 gross HP, 352 CI V8 engine, an upgrade over the standard 240 CI in-line six or the optional 300 CI, also an in-line six-cylinder configuration. The seller details an extensive list of recently replaced parts and indicates that this truck, “starts right up with the bump of the key” so it sounds like it’s good to go. The mileage shows 33K but I imagine the odometer has been once around. Gear selection is, what else, a manual transmission.

The seller claims that he bought this Ford from the previous owner who purchased it in 1966 so, yes, it appears to be a flip so there’s probably not an endearing story that comes with this old Ford. Too bad, it looks like it probably has a lot of stories that it could tell. If you’re considering an old pickup truck, I’d give this one more than the once over, it looks like a great candidate just as it sits. Why should the Chevies and the GMCs get all of the attention, right?

More: F100 / Ford

Peach State Find: 1966 Ford F100 Flareside

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

If you watch the televised auto auctions or actually attend one, you’ll notice all of the recent focus on ’67 to ’72 Chevrolet and GMC pickup trucks. They’re hot, to say the least. But Ford has some game in this arena too and shouldn’t be overlooked. And here is a perfect example, a 1966 Ford F-100 Flareside short bed pickup. It is located in Buckhead (Atlanta), Georgia and is available here on eBay for a BIN price of $7,500. Thanks to Ikey H. for this tip!

Ford offered both “Styleside” and “Flareside” pickups in its 1966 F100 lineup, this example being the shorter 115″ wheelbase as opposed to the longer 129″ wheelbase version. The appearance of this Ford looks almost staged, it’s that perfectly worn with its extremely faded, code “J” Rangoon Red finish, dosed with a good smattering of surface rust. The combination really sets it off. This baby was no boulevard cruiser back in its day as so many modern pickups are destined to be. This F100 worked for a living and has some battle scars in its bed to prove its worth. All that said, the body seems to be completely intact with no sign of crash damage, fallen trees, mishappen fence posts, invasive rust or any of the other mayhem that befalls a working truck. The white stripe tires with doggie bowl hubcaps are a nice, simple diversion from what is frequently found on a pickup of this nature.

The interior is a study in minimalism, completely typical for a domestic truck in the ’60s. It even has a bolt-in FM tuner, the likes of which I haven’t seen in many years. The seat fabric doesn’t look original, it has that famous GM ’80s bordello red velour look about it so maybe it has been reupholstered. There is surface rust on the dash and the white instrument panel seems out of place, though maybe that’s typical, but nothing major – it looks like it should, or how one would expect a 54-year-old pickup truck’s interior to appear. Forget about creature comforts like A/C, power windows/door locks, a power seat or power brakes, nothing but the basics here. It would appear that this F100 has manual steering too so there’s a way to get a little upper body workout.

Under the hood is a 208 gross HP, 352 CI V8 engine, an upgrade over the standard 240 CI in-line six or the optional 300 CI, also an in-line six-cylinder configuration. The seller details an extensive list of recently replaced parts and indicates that this truck, “starts right up with the bump of the key” so it sounds like it’s good to go. The mileage shows 33K but I imagine the odometer has been once around. Gear selection is, what else, a manual transmission.

The seller claims that he bought this Ford from the previous owner who purchased it in 1966 so, yes, it appears to be a flip so there’s probably not an endearing story that comes with this old Ford. Too bad, it looks like it probably has a lot of stories that it could tell. If you’re considering an old pickup truck, I’d give this one more than the once over, it looks like a great candidate just as it sits. Why should the Chevies and the GMCs get all of the attention, right?

More: F100 / Ford

Low-Mileage 1975 Ford F-250 Highboy 4×4

blank.gif
Jim Motavalli

It’s nice to know that some people still have a sense of humor in these troubled times. The owner describes this 1975 Ford F-250 4X4 truck in Caldwell, Iowa, being sold here on eBay with the bid at over $9,000 and two days to go, as a “great end-of-the-world vehicle. Tough, indestructible. Go anywhere”.

We’ve all seen the post-apocalyptic road movies, starring Kurt Russell or Mel Gibson as survivors roaming a ravaged landscape. The mystery to me is where they get the gas they’re burning up. If the world does end, this truck would indeed get you through (to where, though?). It’s both incredibly original and very nicely preserved. It’s a three-quarter-ton unit, single cab with a long bed. It’s a two-owner factory Highboy wearing its original two-tone paint (Vineyard Gold and Parrot Orange, very period) with a divorced transfer case. The chrome and the paint retain their shine. I see a few blemishes here and there, but nothing too concerning.

The owner tells us this truck from the farm country has a rock-solid 360-cubic-inch V-8 producing 196 horsepower, a four-speed manual, a three-speed transfer case with high and low ranges, locking hubs, power brakes, and a tow package.

Although the truck is certainly set up to work, it’s unlikely it ever got really down and dirty on a farm. It’s far too nice—even the bed looks very clean. Mileage is only 16,000, so it has likely been in clean storage for some time.

The price is right around the Hagerty average value for these trucks, which is $9,500. But it seems destined to go fairly higher. It’s unlikely there’s a bargain to be had here.

Look at that interior! There can’t be many left this nice since most of these Highboys were worked hard and put away wet.

The engine bay looks all-original. I can’t tell if the engine has been repainted, though.

This sixth-generation F-250 was produced from 1973 to 1979, the last of the models based on the 1965 F-Series. They built them in the U.S., Australia, and Argentina, too. “Highboy” is actually a nickname (not an official designation) for the F-250 4X4s, which used the divorced transfer case and the F-350 frame. The front suspension uses radius arms and coil springs, instead of leaf springs.

Bob Chandler’s “Bigfoot,” the first “monster truck,” was based on an F-250 Highboy. The two-barrel-carb 360 FE V8 was discontinued after 1976, replaced with the 400 unit.

There’s nothing negative to say about this truck. A little surface rust on the frame, maybe? But since it’s not going to be the bargain of the century, what would you do with it? Take it up a notch and get it on the show circuit? Or put this very capable vehicle to work, losing its incredible low-mileage originality?

No Reserve: 1974 Ford F-250 Ranger XLT

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

There is no doubt that this 1974 F-250 Ranger XLT would turn heads wherever it went. Let’s face it, its big, and the color is not one designed to blend in with the background. Having said that, it does appear to be in above-average condition for its age and should be capable of dragging around some pretty respectable loads. Whether those loads find their way into the bed, or whether they are hooked to the towing hitch is a matter for the next owner to decide. Located in Ogden, Utah, you will find the Ford listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has been set to open at $8,500 in a No Reserve auction. I’m quite surprised to find that there have been no bids up to this point.

The F-250 is finished in Orange, and generally speaking, the vehicle does appear to be in better than average condition. The panels look nice and straight, while the trim and chrome seem really clean. The owner states that the Ranger has no issues with rust, and on first impressions, that seems to be a fair call. However, if you look at the photo of the bed that I have included at the bottom of this article, you will see a couple of spots that look a bit questionable. They could be nothing but some leaves, but they would bear investigation. The first of these is at the front edge of the bed just to the left of the center. To me, it looks like there could possibly be a couple of holes. It also appears that the bottom of the tailgate on the inside might also have some rust developing. If these are actually rust issues, and that is all that is present, then addressing those spots shouldn’t be difficult. One thing that I notice with the bed is that in spite of the fact that the paint is scratched, it doesn’t look like there are any of the sorts of dents that you might find if heavy objects have been thrown in carelessly. The F-250 is fitted with a towing hitch, which means that it also has the potential to be a very satisfactory tow vehicle. One addition that I really quite like is the dealer-fitted spotlights. I’m not sure how much use they’d get, but they are just a cool little extra.

Lifting the hood of the Ranger reveals a 390ci FE V8, a 3-speed automatic transmission, along with power steering and power brakes. This was the final year that the FE 360 and 390 engines were available in the F-250, and in this case, it produced 201hp. However, its forte lay in its abundant torque, with 376 ft/lbs available at 2,600rpm. Those are the numbers that made the F-250 such a formidable tow vehicle, and it seems that this one is in sound mechanical health. The engine has just been fitted with a new Holley carburetor, while a new fuel tank should make sure that it doesn’t get the chance to ingest any nasty debris. The tires that are fitted to the vehicle haven’t managed to accumulate 100 miles under their treads, and a full service has just been performed. The owner claims that the odometer shows a genuine 71,000 miles, but doesn’t clarify whether he holds any evidence to verify this. The owner does say that the 390 starts easily and that the F-250 drives very well.

The interior of the Ranger presents fairly well, and it really has no immediate needs. The cover on the seat isn’t original, but I actually quite like it. The headliner and door trims look really nice, while the dash pad seems to be free of cracks. The steering wheel does have a number of cracks, while the woodgrain has peeled away and broken in a number of spots on the dash. That really seems to be about it for obvious faults. The Ranger comes equipped with an AM/FM stereo radio, and this is said to work perfectly. It is also equipped with cruise, but this doesn’t operate. One of the most common issues with this system tends to be switch failure, so if the next owner decides to tackle this, that might be a good starting point. One thing that does work is the air conditioning. This has received a recent service, and it blows ice-cold. The Ranger also comes equipped with a dealer-fitted CB radio.

If someone is looking for a really competent tow vehicle, then this ’74 F-250 Ranger would have to be a vehicle worth considering. Apart from that small question mark over the potential rust in the bed, it appears to be in excellent condition for its age. One factor to consider is that virtually all of these classic pickups have been experiencing some pretty substantial increases in values in recent times, and the F-250 is no exception. In fact, it is something of a trendsetter in this regard, with a 40% increase in values over the past 3-years alone. You would think that with those sorts of increases, they would be reaching a point where they would potentially price themselves out of the market. In reality, they haven’t done so, and nice examples tend to get snapped up pretty quickly. It is for that reason that I’m surprised that there have been no bids on this one at this time.

More: F-250 / Ford / Ranger / XLT

SHARETWEET

Notchback Driver: 1991 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

I’ve made little secret of my love of Fox body Mustangs in the notchback bodystyle, and this 1991 LX with the 5.0L V8 is one of my favorites in recent memory. It’s fairly ratty, with plenty of cosmetic issues to sort out, but the lowered stance and manual transmission make it incredibly tempting to use as a summer-time daily driver. The seller notes he had plans to take the cosmetics to the next level, which included repairing rust and a damaged nose panel, but the car is now up for sale here on eBay with bidding up to $5,300 and no reserve. The Mustang is located in Clifton, New Jersey.

Now, unfortunately, the rust is more than skin deep. The seller notes the strut towers will need to be replaced due to corrosion, and there’s also rust in the rear fenders and lower rear valence. The Mustang’s proximity to the snow belt (well, New Jersey isn’t New England, but still) likely means the rust is a result of daily use, which the seller confirms is how the previous owner used it for 15 years. I actually had no idea strut tower rust was a problem with Fox body cars, but sure enough, a quick Google returns pages of how-tos and good metal panels offered up for sale on eBay.

The interior is perfectly in sync with the era in which the Mustang was built, which is to say there is matching red upholstery everywhere. Red console, red door panels, red A/C vents – it’s a scene, man. The good news is that despite being used as a daily driver, the sport seats don’t appear to be blown apart and there are no major tears in the seat cushions. The trouble is, you can’t be sure of the mileage as the seller notes that the previous owner replaced the cluster and real mileage is likely more than the 100K showing on the odometer. The A/C has not been tested, so it can’t be confirmed whether it blows cold.

The seller notes that the front bumper “…has to be replaced.” I’m not sure what happened to it, but this entire front nose panel is included with the sale. Curiously, the seller contends the Mustang runs well, but that the engine should still be rebuilt because it has issues reflecting its age (details not offered). There’s a few things to unpack here, but it doesn’t change the fact that I dig the lowered stance over the larger Pony wheels. The rust is a bummer and there are certainly better cars out there, but notchbacks tend to command a higher price just for their rarity alone – and given current bidding, the bodywork issues aren’t scaring some potential buyers.

Fox Body Favorite: 1991 Ford Mustang GT

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

I owned a Foxbody Mustang back in 1992. It was 5.0 liter equipped, LX convertible with a five-speed manual transmission. It has been gone for years but I have been wanting to take a look back at something similar and found it here in the form of a 1991 GT hatchback. This Mustang is located in Milton, Florida and is available here on eBay for a current bid of $5,500, six bids tendered so far.

Last week, I took a look at a ’70 Mustang Mach I (that was in questionable condition) and referred to it as the last of the original concept that created the Mustang brand as the ’71-’73 grew large and then the ’74-’78 went the other way, downsizing, having been based on the Pinto. In 1979 the first of the Fox-body Mustangs were introduced and it was a back to basics restart. The first several years didn’t spit out anything seriously performance-oriented but by the mid-80s the power returned and continued through the model run’s end in 1993. Fox-body Mustangs are an absolute favorite for Mustang fans whether stock, slightly modified or go-for-broke power. Gone for a minimum of 27 years, they are still seen with regularity.

This Mustang presents well and the listing is pretty liberal with images, including those that highlight this car’s foibles, which are few. The seller lists the mileage as 46K but states that he thinks that is wrong based on the Carfax report. Regardless, the finish and body look quite good for its age. The GT fairings, flares and spoilers all appear to be undamaged with no visible cracks or splits. The seller does reference, and illustrate, a sunroof leak but it’s probably a minor repair. The seller adds that this GT is garaged and he doesn’t drive it in the rain. As a side note, ’91 was the first years for the Mustang’s use of five-spoke aluminum “star” wheels.

The interior looks just as I remember mine did, and it is in good nick. There are some small defects with sun visors and map pockets, and the seats look like they could use a deep cleaning, but beyond that, no rips, tears or missing items. The A/C works having just been serviced but not the heater, probably not a high priority item for a Florida car. Beyond that, and seeing an aftermarket radio and what looks like a replacement gear shifter, the seller makes no mention of the interior.

Normally I would say what makes the Mustang GT, a GT, is the excellent 5.0-liter V8 engine but then the LX, like the one that I owned, could be equipped, power train-wise, the same way. The engine in this example appears to be mostly stock though it has an after-market air induction system and the headers don’t look like the original OEM Ford units though my memory is sketchy on that matter. The engine was rated at 225 net HP and I can tell you that in stock form, at least with a five-speed manual transmission as this example is equipped, it makes for a fun drive. The seller does not elaborate on this Mustang’s driving characteristics but he does state that it has a new clutch-cable, tires and brakes. Additionally, the clutch was replaced in ’15 or ’16 but it is uncertain how many miles this Ford has traveled since then.

This is a nice, unmolested version of one of Ford’s greatest hits. The few modifications noted don’t qualify as Mustang molestation. I look these Mustangs over in a somewhat whimsical manner because I really liked the ’92 that I owned. It was a big deal buying such a new car so many years ago. The problem is, the car didn’t like me. It spent two years off and on in a Ford dealership repair department. And it left me on the side of the road more than once. To say I was chuffed with the car would be an understatement. The only solution that I recognized was filing a Lemon-Law suit in my domiciled state against Ford. I did and I won; Ford bought my ’92 LX back. An aberration? I am convinced, yes. I never knew of anyone that owned an early ’90s vintage Fox-body Mustang that was so prone to trouble. It’s probably way past the point that I would consider owning another, and certainly not based on my prior experience; one’s tastes and wants/needs, etc. just change over the years and it has been a whole lot of years now. But I know that there are many in our readership who dig Fox-bodies and this example, with its for now reasonable bid amount, warrants some serious consideration don’t you think?

More: Ford / Mustang GT

Back