Barn Finds

I have always liked these. Same power train as Mustang and easy to upgrade.

BF AUCTION: 1984 Lincoln Continental Mark VII LSC

High Bid: $100 | 6 days leftBid Now

The Lincoln Continental name dates back to 1939 and has managed to stick around to this day, with a few short breaks here and there. The “Mark” series didn’t technically show up until 1956, but that’s just a technicality. Having been around for so long, there have been lots of revisions, redesigns, and evolutions, going from a personal luxury car to massive grand touring cars and now as a modern full-size sedan. Today’s find is a Mark VII LSC from 1984, which is a very unique time in the Continental’s history. Being an LSC or Luxury Sports Coupe means that this Ford’s Fox-body Mustang with a 5.0L V8 and rear-wheel drive is a great mix of performance and comfort! Reader Brent C has decided it’s time to move this running and driving Mark VII on to its next home. It’s located in Elko, Nevada and is ready to go! So, be sure to bid on this one owner hot rod Lincoln.

Calling this a sports car is a bit of a stretch, but compared to the cars it was competing with at the time, it was surprisingly sporty. The Fox-body platform offered decent handling and the 5.0 V8 produced respectable power. When it was introduced, it gave BMW’s 630 and Mercedes’ 380SEC a run for their money. Styling is always a bit subjective, but it’s a clean design and hides any hints of performance nicely. If you want to have a fun driver, but still cruise in comfort, this is the perfect combo!

While it’s looking a bit dirty, the engine is said to run very well. The transmission was recently replaced to get it back on the road and comes with a lifetime warranty. Brent states that it runs and drives great. The AC system has even been converted over to R134. This 5.0 isn’t ground shattering, with just 140 horsepower, but there are lots of upgrade options for those needing more grunt. And that’s what makes the LSC a great option for most of us. As great as a car like the BMW 630CSI is, this is a car anyone can afford to own. Parts are cheap, information is readily available, and anyone can work on it.

This Mark might have spent much of its life parked in the garage, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t driven. It’s covered just over 100k miles, so there’s going to be some work to do here. The biggest issue I see will be fixing the seats. Between use and their age, they are starting to look a bit sad. They are going to need to be redone, but most upholstery shops could make new covers or you could just buy some cheap covers to put over them. The rest of the interior looks to be in decent shape and would clean up nicely!

Making this Lincoln look it’s best will take some work, but the body looks to be straight, there are no signs of rust, and the paint should clean up nicely with a good polishing. Being a one-owner car that was serviced by the same Ford dealer since new is a huge plus and while it has covered a fair number of miles, this one should have a ton of life left in it. So, if you’d love to give this hot rod Lincoln a good home, be sure to bid! And if you have any questions for Brent, please leave them in the comments below.
  • Mileage: 106,551
  • Title Status: Clean

Mild Mods: 1988 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1988 Ford Mustang LX is a largely stock driver with the preferred 5.0L V8 under the hood. The LX cars were far more subdued than their GT brethren, and could be confused for a six-cylinder model if you didn’t notice the dual exhaust. This example is an original paint example with 143,000 miles and some minor modifications that the seller doesn’t mention but are visible in the listing photos, including an aftermarket exhaust and what looks like a lowered suspension. Find it here on eBay with bidding to over $7K and the reserve unmet.

I’m not sure why the seller doesn’t detail what clearly looks like a lowered suspension, but surely that’s not stock ride height. I love it, personally, as it’s one of the few modifications I consider a must-do for any project car. Generally speaking, handling is improved and the looks are enhanced dramatically. I like that it retains the stock wheels with the thick sidewall, and I’d even be willing to bet someone added wheel spaces considering how well the tires line up with the body lines. The exhaust definitely aftermarket, in my opinion, as the factory exhaust is much more subdued.

The interior is in great condition for the mileage, which is listed as being 143,000. The driver’s seat does show some wear and tear to the bolsters, but the color combo is sharp. The passenger seat exhibits fewer cosmetic flaws, and the dash looks largely sound aside from what looks like old mounting hardware at the top of the center stack, to the right of the instrument binnacle. Overall, no major complaints inside, and the seller notes that the automatic transmission was professionally rebuilt by the previous owner and works well. The Mustang has cold A/C, but the power locks, heater, and radio do not work at present.

Under hood is nicely detailed for a driver, with a clean valve cover and black plastic surfaces not looking too dingy. The Mustang is said to run well and have no obvious leaks or odd noises coming from the drivetrain. The seller says that the paint is shiny but not perfect, and it is gleaming nicely at the top of the fenders. Some body work is evident on the trunk lid, per the seller, but the CarFax is clean. Overall, this looks like a decent turnkey driver that could be improved with some very basic fixes – if nothing else, while heat may not be needed in South Florida, buyers elsewhere in the country will appreciate it.
Have something to sell? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Ford / Mustang

SHARETWE

My neighbor had a 67/390 like this in his garage. Parked it in 89, and only sold it a few years ago.

Real Barn Find! 1967 Ford Ranchero With 390 Engine

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

Sometimes the words “Barn Find” mean something old, a car usually, that has been found stored away in some forgotten place. We have uncovered finds in chicken coupes, pig barns, pole barns, carports, lean-tos, garages of every imaginable nature and yes, even in actual barns making the description literal. And here is just such an example, a 1967 Ford Ranchero that has resided in an actual barn for some time. It is located in Woodland, California and available here on Facebook Marketplace for $6,000.

While the Ford Fairlane got a complete redo for ’66, and the Ranchero moved to that platform too, it retained its Falcon front clip, the Ford Falcon being the model that the Ranchero had been based on since 1960. In 1967, the year of this example, the Ranchero was updated with a proper Fairlane front clip. Supposedly, there were some late in the model year produced ’66 Rancheros with the newly designed Fairlane front end but I haven’t been able to score an image.

This Barn Find is special because of what’s under the hood, a 390 CI V8, good for 315 gross HP; no word if it’s running or not but it appears doubtful. Backing up the Ford FE is a three-speed automatic transmission. While the mileage is listed at 13K, it’s probably 113K and there’s no word on how long this Ranchero has been barn domiciled though the California black tag shows the last registered year of 1988, 32 years ago. The VIN tag does confirm this Ranchero as an original 390 engined example via the “Z” code.

It’s tough to tell what’s under all of that barn dust but from what can be seen, the body of this old Ford looks pretty straight, no rust-through insight. It would be nice to get a good look at the bed but there’s no full-on image provided. The trim and glass appear to be intact, actually, the entire vehicle is intact so this could be a good basis for rejuvenation or maybe a full restoration.

The interior is, well, it’s inside that’s for certain. The front bench seat is just done and there is a lot of distraction scattered around so it’s hard to tell if this interior is fixable or if a complete overhaul will be necessitated. There is nothing in the listing that references its general condition so the few images provided will have to do the talking. Gotta love that ’67 Ford steering wheel hub bumper. Perhaps Ford thought their new energy-absorbing steering column wouldn’t work as planned, and assuming drivers wouldn’t belt up, the bumper was added as a nod to further protecting the driver’s noggin. Whatever the case, it seems every ’67 Ford, regardless of model, has one of these ungainly things.

It would be easy to dismiss this Ranchero as a “Raunchero”, yes it’s untidy, but you have to look beyond that. Go cruise values for El Caminos and see what a ’67 with a 396 engine trades for; this is Ford’s version and it has great potential. Not to mention the fact that this vintage Ranchero is not real common these days, unlike a similar El Camino. If it were mine, I’d just fix and drive, performing the minimal amount of intervention. How about you, what would you do with this ’67 Ford Ranchero?

More: Ford Ranchero

No Reserve Driver: 1966 Ford Mustang

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1966 Ford Mustang project is listed at no reserve and benefits from lots of recent work, including replacement floors and a rebuilt engine. The seller has been using it as a daily driver, noting he was driving it to school regularly. While the details as to why he stopped driving it aren’t offered, it seems like it’s in a good place for the next owner to pick up and complete. There are some lingering bodywork needs, but it’s a project you can still drive while it’s being finished. It’s listed here on eBay with no reserve in Lake City, Florida, and bidding is just under $4K at the moment.

The listing seems to indicate a previous owner oversaw the bulk of the restoration work, including new floors replaced in 2014. The seller notes the automatic transmission shifts smoothly, and it sits amid a sea of blue carpeting that appears to be quite clean. Seats show some wear-and-tear that is to be expected for a vehicle of this age, but again, nothing you can’t live with for the time being. The dash doesn’t appear to be cracked and an original steering wheel remains in place. The seller notes the front windows work as intended but the rear windows have to be manipulated manually.

The next owner will hopefully enjoy years of reliable driving from the six-cylinder powerplant, thanks to it being rebuilt less than 15,000 miles ago by the previous owner. While it’s not exactly pretty, the inline-six was the workhorse mill of the Mustang lineup and wasn’t prone to getting a lot of engine dress-up. The seller doesn’t detail any specifics as it relates to what, if any, upgrades consisted of, or whether the previous owner used the rebuild as an opportunity to install larger pistons and the like. Regardless, a Mustang project that runs and drives with daily-driver levels of reliability at no reserve is the major selling point here.

The body is indeed the downside, and the mismatched trunk lid is just one element of that. Photos show rust that’s been painted over the rear fenders and passenger door, and some rough bodywork in the nose panel. I’m sure there are other areas of work needed, and it’s surprising to see that much rust on a southern car like this – especially considering the floors have already been replaced. Regardless, the interior looks like a fine place to spend time for the time being, and with the mechanicals largely done (aside from the drum brakes that the seller recommends replacing), it’s as good of a starting point as you’re like to find for short money.

S-Code 390/4-Speed: 1967 Ford Mustang

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

At first glance, this 1967 Mustang Hardtop looks very clean, but it crosses that line to become an impressive survivor when you learn that it is a rust-free vehicle that is said to wear its original paint. In fact, the wheels that are currently fitted to the Mustang represent one of the very few modifications or upgrades that have been performed across the entire vehicle. Making the car all the more attractive is the fact that it is a full, numbers-matching vehicle, with a healthy 390ci V8 under the hood. That makes this desirable and potent classic one that is well worth a look. It is located in West Point, Kentucky, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. I find it surprising that there has only been a single bid of $15,000 on the Mustang at this stage, but less surprising to find that this means that the reserve hasn’t been met. Of course, with 110 people currently watching the listing, this is a situation that could potentially change at any time.

If the owner’s claim that the Beige Mist paint that the Mustang wears is, in fact, original, then it has survived in remarkable condition. There are no signs of any significant marks, scratches, or defects in the paint, while the panels all appear to be extremely straight. The Black vinyl top is also said to be original, and as with the paint, it looks to be in extremely good order. This is a 1st Generation Mustang, so I guess that is inevitable that we need to talk about rust. If you are the sort of person who looks at a car like this and fears the worst, well it would seem that your fears are completely unfounded. The exterior looks really good, with no signs of any problems with prone areas such as the rockers or lower quarter panels. The owner provides photos of the vehicle’s underside, and there is nothing to see but a clean undercarriage and the Mustang’s original undercoating. Climbing back out from under the car, the trim and chrome, along with the glass, all looks to be in very nice condition.

It is possible to be spoiled for choice, and that is a fate that could easily befall potential Mustang buyers in 1967. This is especially true when it came to deciding what should reside in the engine bay of their shiny new pride and joy. In this case, the original owner chose the 390ci S-Code V8, which is backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. It would seem that the owner was interested in as much “bang for their buck” as it was possible to get, so they chose to forego the power-sapping benefits of power steering and power brakes. In this guise, this is a car that would have been capable, when new, of accelerating from 0-60mph in 5.4 seconds, while the ¼ mile could be absolutely blitzed in 14 seconds. This is a full, numbers-matching car, and its originality is pretty impressive. The shocks have been changed at some point, but the originals are included in the sale. The vehicle has also recently received a new master cylinder and exhaust. The owner also points out that while the Mustang does wear different wheels, the original hubcaps are sitting in the trunk. He doesn’t make any improbable claims about the vehicle having outrageously low mileage on the clock, but he does say that it runs and drives really well.

I would be inclined to describe the interior of the Mustang as looking very tidy for an original survivor. The black upholstery on the front seats does show some minor stretching in a couple of spots, but overall, it looks pretty impressive for vinyl of this age. The same would appear to be true of the headliner, door trims, and the dash pad. If I want to find fault, then the most obvious is the fading that has afflicted the carpet. This is very noticeable, and I can guarantee that if you asked three different people what to do about it, you’d probably get three different answers. I guess that it comes down to a choice of a new carpet set, dying the existing carpet, or maintaining the status quo. I think that in the short-term, I would be very inclined to choose the latter option. The other fault that I can see is some discoloring of some of the plastic trim pieces, especially on the dash. It is difficult to be sure whether these could be restored successfully, but if they don’t look particularly bad upon personal inspection, I would be inclined to leave them as they are. after all, they’re only original once.

I will admit that this 1967 Mustang isn’t the most “in-your-face” vehicle to have ever rolled off a Ford production line, but its mechanical configuration means that it is a car that should command respect due to its performance capabilities. If the owner’s claims about overall originality will stand up to scrutiny, then that would make this a great survivor that is sure to generate its share of interest in the market. I suspect that the current single bid is but the tip of the iceberg. I would expect bidding to take off fairly soon, and it will be interesting to see what this classic finally sells for.

More: Ford / Hardtop / Mustang

SHARETWEET

Triple Mustang Stash: S-Code, T-Code, And ’64 1/2!

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Bidding is nearing $30,000 for a package deal featuring three desirable Mustang projects, but the reserve remains unmet. Usually, these multi-car offerings fail to entice bidders into action because of the additional logistical hurdles involved in transporting multiple vehicles, or due to not having space to put them once home. That’s not deterring interested parties in this lot of Mustang projects, but it likely has to do with the cars themselves being desirable cars for restoring. There’s a 1968 Mustang Fastback (above), a second ’68 Fastback S-Code with a 390, and a 1964.5 coupe with a 289 and four-speed. Find the trio here on eBay and residing in New Mexico.

The seller notes that the Fastback in the top photo was originally a six-cylinder car with an automatic transmission, otherwise known as a T-code. The engine bay is empty at the moment, making it ripe for a more robust engine transplant. The seller does have a possible solution for that, with an option to buy a 302 V8 and four-speed manual transmission. The red car is the star of the show, in my opinion, with a 390 under the hood paired to a four-speed manual transmission. No word on whether the 390 is original to the car, but it’s not deterring bidders if it isn’t. The body looks reasonably sound on this example, but there is evidence of prior bodywork throughout.

The seller also has this nicely aged 1964.5 Mustang coupe, which left the factory with a 289 and a manual transmission – which, by my understanding, is a pretty ideal combination. Now, some people get all hot and bothered by the 64.5 thing, and I can understand why, especially if you’re a Mustang collector. There’s some subtle differences in the design, which I won’t get into here, but there’s a class of enthusiasts that are willing to pay more for one. That said, regardless of the production date, this Mustang is the ideal spec if you’re looking for a performance car in a vanilla wrapper, and want to add a notchback to your collection of fastbacks.

The interior of the early car is quite clean, with bucket seats, uncut door panels, and an original radio still in the dash. The seller notes it is a complete car, with the rear end still in place and nothing missing from the interior. There’s a lot of options with this collection of projects, from restoring all of them to selling off one to finance the restoration of another. If it were me, I’d keep the 64.5 and the 390 fastback, and sell the six-cylinder /302 combo to recoup some of my money. While buying a three-car stash isn’t the most convenient way to acquire a project car, it’s likely way more economical when you consider all of the spare parts the next owner will have access to.

No Reserve! 1968 Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500 Convertible

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

When you consider build totals for the 1968 Shelby Mustang, it is interesting to note that Convertible examples were built in significantly lower numbers than the Fastback. That means that Convertibles don’t come onto the market anywhere near as often, and when they do, they tend to command a significant premium over their Fastback siblings. This ’68 GT500 Convertible is a very tidy example that has just come onto the market. It is located in Queensbury, New York, and is listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has been about as strong as you would expect on a rare classic like this, with a total of 71 bids pushing the price along to $30,200. Making it all the more attractive is the fact that it is being offered with No Reserve. With 123 people also watching the listing, you would have to think that there might be a way to go yet before the final sale price is reached.

The owner doesn’t provide a lot of details about the GT500 in his listing, but the photos would seem to indicate that this is a very clean and tidy survivor. The 1968 Shelby was available in a total of ten paint colors, and the Gold Metallic paint on this GT500 has a lovely shine to it. There is no evidence of any rust in any of the supplied photos, while the panels appear to be free of any noticeable dings or dents. It retains all of the distinctive Shelby features such as the lights, wheels, and grille, and these are also in very nice order. The Convertible was only available with a choice of a Black or White top, and the White top on this vehicle appears to be faultless. The trim and chrome all have a great luster, while the tinted glass looks just as flawless as the rest of the exterior.

As was the case with the top on the Convertible, the interior trim choice came down to two colors. A buyer could specify Saddle trim, or as is the case with this car, Black was the other option. Generally speaking, the interior of the GT500 presents quite well and would seem to be indicative of what you would expect from an original survivor. There is some stretching of the vinyl on the driver’s seat, while the carpet is also showing some minor fading. Beyond that, it all looks clean and tidy, with no obvious issues of any significance. The vehicle does come with air conditioning, and the previously mentioned tinted glass was a compulsory requirement on any A/C-equipped Shelby in 1968. Also included is an AM push-button radio, which cost buyers $57.59 back in 1968. That might not sound like a lot of money, but when you consider that the tinted glass cost a mere $30.25, it suddenly looks like a fairly costly option.

Sorry folks, but we get no engine photos with the Shelby. If all is as it was when the car left the factory, we should find a 428 Police Interceptor V8 under the hood, producing 360hp. This is backed by a 3-speed automatic transmission, while I believe that the car is equipped with power front disc brakes. The quoted horsepower figure is an interesting one because it is believed that it errs on the conservative side. Those in the know have often contended that the actual figure was far closer to 400hp, but the company was admitting nothing. It is believed that the figure was conservative partly for insurance purposes. Whatever the truth is regarding power output, the GT500’s performance figures were nothing if not impressive. A 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds and a ¼ mile ET of 14.5 seconds are both very respectable figures, while the GT500 could still haul its way to 127mph in Convertible form. That’s some pretty fast wind in your hair!

With a mere 402 examples rolling out the door in 1968, the GT500 Convertible is a fairly rare beast. It combines brute force with the carefree experience that can only be achieved from within a classic convertible. Of course, rarity and desirability will always come at a cost. With that in mind, a good ’68 GT500 Convertible will command prices of around $130,000, although significantly higher figures are a definite possibility. If this particular car is as clean and original as the photos would tend to indicate, that is the sort of price that I would be expecting. It could potentially go even higher, or I could be completely wrong, and it may sell for less than that figure. To be honest, this is one time when I wouldn’t mind being wrong, but even if I’m not, it looks like someone is destined to become the proud owner of a true classic very soon.

More: Cobra / Convertible / Ford / GT500 / Shelby

Clean Driver: 1989 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

The seller of this 1989 Ford Mustang LX claims he bought it from the longtime original owner in 2019, who maintained it to a high degree and kept it in nearly stock condition. The exhaust has been modified with a cat-back system and some SVT-style wheels have been added, but it otherwise as the factory intended. The seller notes the presence of many original parts under the hood, like the Motorcraft-branded distributor and radiator hoses – it even retains its factory smog pump. It’s now listed here on eBay with a reasonable Buy-It-Now of $4,500, and bidding up to $3,000 with the reserve unmet.

The seller notes that the Mustang has proven to be a reliable daily driver, having driven it every day for a year. With smooth V8 power and an automatic transmission, it does seem like a clean Fox Body would make for an entertaining driver that doubles as a hobby car. No details of any maintenance performed in his ownership tenure are offered, but the seller does highlight an ongoing power steering leak that is consuming half a bottle of fluid every other month. Not the end of the world, but it will get worse as time goes on.

The interior is a definite highlight, as its way better than I would expect for the mileage which is perfectly average: 121,769. The fact that the seats and bolsters still present so well is a testament to both the durability of the original materials and the care with which the longtime original owner took getting into and out of the car. The carpets also present well, and the dash shows no signs of cracking. The seller notes he installed a center console from CJ Pony Parts, which has cupholders and USB ports. The original console will be included with the sale.

Under hood looks quite clean for the mileage, and as stock as the seller promised. I personally have no problems with bolt-on tweaks like a cat-back exhaust and even a cold air intake, and as we all know, I love a good suspension drop. This car is on the right side of the modification scale, with mods that undoubtedly make the Mustang more fun to drive while still being easily reversible. The Buy-It-Now seems downright reasonable for a clean Fox Body, and I’m actually surprised someone hasn’t snatched this one up yet.

SHARETWEET

Georgia Peach: 1970 Ford F100 Short Bed

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

This 1970 Ford F100 short box was sold new by Peach County Motor Co. in Fort Valley, Georgia and still lives in The Peach State town of Watkinsville. It was driven regularly until the owner passed away about ten years ago and is now for sale. You can find it listed here on eBay with a current bid of $3,150. These 5th generation F100s continue to be very popular and short box trucks with awesome patina are the cream of the crop. Have a look at this one and see what you think.

The original 240 cubic inch inline-six has a 1bbl carburetor that feeds fuel in the intake. Unfortunately, the seller says the fuel bowl overflows when the truck is turned off, so a rebuild or replacement is probably in order. The ad also says that it “will run with a jump” so the charging system needs to be addressed as well. Other than those two issues, the seller points out a few minor things that need to be looked at. The nice thing is there have been some maintenance items completed including new plugs, brakes, fuel tank, points, and condenser along with new rear shocks.

The transmission is a 3-on-the-tree that is shifted through a 67-69 column. I’d love to know why the steering column was replaced since this isn’t something you see done too often. The seller says the original floor mat and headliner are in good shape. The dash pad was beyond repair, so it was removed. This is actually a fairly common treatment for these trucks. The metal dash under the pad has a great shape and beyond a few holes, they look great without the pad.

You can see the tires still have stickers on them, which is proof they are fairly new. Unfortunately, the truck has no title and is being sold on a bill of sale. Hopefully, the buyer’s state doesn’t give them too much of a hard time when it comes to registering it. How hard (or easy) is it to register a non-titled vehicle in your state? Let us know.

More: F100 / Ford

Broken In: 1969 Ford Mustang SportsRoof

Bruce Johnson
Bruce Johnson

It is hard to argue that this car is not a barn find. It has been sitting for 30 years in Seymour, Indiana waiting to be rescued. Bought from an estate sale, the car can be seen here on eBay with two days remaining in the auction. This 1969 Ford Mustang fastback project is bid up to $6,200.

Equipped with a Ford 390 cubic inch V8 engine and automatic transmission, the Mustang is a non-running vehicle that will need a full restoration. The 390 cubic inch V8 engine produced 320 horsepower and 427 foot pounds of torque in 1969. The fastback version was called a Sportsroof by Ford Motor Company.

The black interior looks to have most of the components but they are dirty and deteriorated. The body of the Mustang was extended by 3.8 inches in 1969 and it was the first Mustang to use quad headlights. The seller states that the car has rust but is an original unmolested (also translated as uncared-for) example.

The tires on the passenger side of the car appear to be flat and the seller states that there is no title. How brave do you have to be to take this project on? The shock towers look good in the pictures but it may require an in person visit to completely analyze the car. Let me hear from the experts on this one!

More: 1969 Mustang / 390 CID / Ford Mustang / Mustang 390 / SportsRoof

SHARETWEET

One Family Owned: 1967 Mercury Cougar

blank.gif
Jonny Collier

Is there anyone who doesn’t like pony cars? I’m sure we’ll see some that don’t in the comments section, but I’ll raise my hand when asked who’s a fan. With a long hood and short deck lid and typically sporty with enough room for the family, what’s not to like? Throw in a litle luxury like Mercury did here and you can color me a fan of the first generation Cougars. It looks as though an anonymous Barn Finds reader is a fan too, as they sent in the 1967 example found here on eBay. Located in Las Vegas, Nevada, 41 bids have pushed the price to just $5,800.

It’s pretty clear from the photos that this Cougar isn’t a show car. However, aside from one repaint, the exterior is largely original. The seller claims it has never been in any accident or fender bender and maintains all original sheet metal and floors. That one repaint was done in its original Trafalgar Blue Poly color. Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong, but that roof appears to be painted white. The “WM” indicated on the door data tag would indicate Trafalgar Blue Poly and Polar White, so that supports the appearance.

The parchment interior offers a nice contrast to the Trafalgar Clue exterior and looks to be in pretty good shape after 53 years. You may want to repair those seam separations on the front and back seats, but other than that, this Cougar looks ready for driver duty. The driver door armrest also shows some wear, but looks like it would serve its purpose for the time being. It’s hard not to notice that bench seat, which is a fairly uncommon sight on the 1967 Cougar — only 7,395 of the 150,893 built left the factory so equipped.

Things look to have been kept fairly tidy under the hood, where you’ll see the numbers-matching C-code 289. With a claimed 50k original miles, the seller offers some insight into its running condition: “Engine starts right up and runs with no smoking or knocking or leaks. Transmissions shifts into all gears as it should.”

It looks like there’s a lot to like here, as this Cougar could appeal to a variety of potential buyers — Looking for a clean, mostly original vintage cruiser? Check. Want a classic pony car needing light restoration? Check. Prefer something a little different? Check. Does the 1967 “Car of the Year” check any of those boxes for you?

More: Cougar / Mercury

Turbo Fox: 1986 Ford Mustang SVO

blank.gif
Kevin Barr

The “Fox Body” generation of Ford’s Mustang is my favorite iteration of the popular pony car, and the turbocharged SVO model is one that I am especially fond of. Barn Finds reader Dan D. from NJ found this 1986 Ford Mustang SVO available for sale here on Craigslist, and it’s a very tidy example of the SVO model that features a handful of tasteful upgrades.

This SVO is available in Clinton, New Jersey with a clean title. Though the listing does not have a lot of details, the seller has owned the vehicle for the past 10 years, and he is ready to move on to another project.

The exterior of the vehicle is pristine, with a set of polished factory wheels standing out against the white paint. The car also benefits from new tires, new Koni adjustable suspension bits, and new StopTech 4-wheel disc brakes.

Inside the cabin, you’ll find a very clean gray leather interior, which the seller claims is “new”. Regardless of whether the seats are completely new or just reupholstered, it is in fantastic condition. Also, there are very few modifications to the interior, with the only noticeable changes being an aftermarket radio and an aftermarket boost gauge.

There’s a turbocharged 2.3-liter 4-cylinder engine under the hood, which pairs to a 5-speed manual transmission to drive the rear wheels, and the advertisement states that the driveline has 102,000 miles on it. From the factory, the engine made 205 horsepower, but the seller notes that this engine has upgrades allowing it to make approximately 300 horsepower. Additionally, the seller includes a spare short block, intercooler, and turbo with the vehicle’s sale.

For $12,750, this SVO could be yours. Do you think you could see yourself owning this tastefully modified turbo Fox, or would you prefer one with a V8 under the hood?

More: Ford / Ford Mustang / Fox Body / fox body mustang / mustang svo / SVO

Former NC SSP: 1993 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

So here’s a quandary: this 1993 Ford Mustang LX notchback coupe is a former North Carolina State Police vehicle, making it a genuine SSP car, which is the internal designation for Fox Bodies that went into police duty. Now, most of the time, owners attempt to keep these cars in as close to the original form as possible, given they were fairly limited to begin with. Not here: this example has been extensively modified, and doesn’t look anything like it did when it was chasing traffic scofflaws. Find it here on eBay with bids approaching $14K and no reserve.

Now, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with modifying an SSP car, but it is surprising. Given the abundance of Fox Bodies on your local craigslist page at any given moment, you can find endless examples worthy of a thorough overhaul. While an SSP certainly had what some would consider “upgrades” from the factory, I’m not sure they were significant enough to justify building one into a hot-rod. Yes, it had the 160 m.p.h. speedometer and reinforced floor pans, but does that alone make modifying an already collectible car a logical proposition?

Now, don’t get me wrong: I love the way this Mustang looks, and the list of modifications is nothing short of impressive. The interior has been re-done with an excellent OEM refresh, featuring the 85/86 GT-spec bucket seats that almost certainly have been reupholstered. The dash, door panels, and carpets all appear to be in mint condition. Usually, the interiors are one of the biggest disappointments of SSP cars because they are highly utilitarian and rarely treated with much care; this example bucks that trend for the better.

The engine build is documented in great detail on the listing, and it’s too long to get in here. The upshot is that it’s the original 302 V8 and it been completely rebuilt for more power. The entire car was also repainted, losing whatever colors pass for state police graphics in North Carolina in favor of correct-for-1993 Vermillion Red. I think it’s a great choice, but if it were my money, I’d want to buy an SSP that was as easy as possible to re-create as a genuine pursuit car. Still, the next owner could have some fun with this modified example by sticking a light bar on the roof and a CB radio beneath the dash.

Radio Delete Stripper: 1988 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1988 Ford Mustang LX may look completely ordinary from the outside, but it is a rare find. First of all, it is a notchback; secondly, it’s a manual transmission/V8 example; and thirdly, the seller’s uncle is the original owner who specified that the Mustang come with minimal options, including a radio delete, and the only accessory is factory A/C. It was removed from the uncle’s barn and power-washed, but otherwise, hasn’t been touched. Find it here on eBay where bidding is over $10,000 with no reserve.

The pictures show a car with decent, but not perfect, paint. Still, it’s pretty solid considering it’s been locked in a barn since 2009. And the bigger deal is that it remains completely stock, with no obvious modifications and a rust-free body. The nose panel will likely need some work, along with the bumper and valence, but that’s hardly the end of the world. Wheels remain the stock LX-trim rollers, and it’s equipped with OEM mudflaps. The headlights have the typical Fox Body yellowing, but those can be easily updated.

The interior is in surprisingly good condition, with the seller noting it as a definite highlight. It’s super basic inside, but therein lies the charm: this is a stripper, pure and simple, with the original owner going out of his way to not add unnecessary luxuries to this classic 90s muscle car. The GT may have gotten the nicely bolstered bucket seats, but the flat-bottomed cloth buckets here are what came standard in the LX (and I’m guessing are a few pounds lighter than the racier GT seats.) The cabin is in remarkably good condition, and the five-speed is obviously the transmission you want to see here.

The back seat looks unused, and while a detailing would definitely spruce it up, you can start using this car as-is once the mechanicals are suitably refreshed. The seller notes it still runs and drives and comes with lots of supporting documentation, including both sets of keys, the original window sticker, title, and warranty card. To me, this is a sleeper of a collector car, with the likelihood of other Fox Bodies equipped so sparsely (that weren’t SSP cars) incredibly low. To find one that has the ideal combo of the 5.0L V8 and manual transmission starts pushing it to unrepeatable status.

SHARETWEET

Practical Pony: 1969 Ford Mustang Wagon

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Ford never produced a Mustang Station Wagon. If they had, you have to wonder just what it would have looked like. Perhaps this custom-built wagon gives us some sort of idea. This isn’t the first time that we’ve seen this particular vehicle. It previously featured in this excellent article written by our illustrious Jamie Palmer back in 2018. We normally avoid repeat appearances here at Barn Finds, but this Mustang has undergone a few changes since we saw it last. These would seem to make it worth revisiting a car that generated plenty of interest and comments the last time that we saw it. Located in Lantz, Nova Scotia, Canada, the Wagon has been listed for sale here on eBay. At this point in time, there has only been a single bid on the vehicle, and this has been for the sum of C$22,000 in what is a No Reserve auction. However, there are currently 85 people watching the listing, which suggests that it is a vehicle that has generated some interest in the market.

When I look at the Madagascar Orange Mustang, I do have to agree with Jeff’s original assessment of the vehicle. Like him, I’m not sold on the shape of the rear side glass, and the chrome surround looks out of place. I’ve been trying to determine just where that glass originated, and I can’t quite pin it down. Any ideas on that? I do wonder whether there might be other glass available that would be a more appropriate fit and shape, and the next owner might choose to investigate this further. Of course, that all comes down to a matter of personal taste, and it’s also worth remembering that in any custom conversion such as this, there are aspects that can look a little bit alien. This is especially true when you are dealing with a classic like the Mustang which possesses such iconic styling. Otherwise, the rest of the conversion work looks to be very neat and professional, with no signs of any rough edges or bad workmanship. Another vehicle characteristic that Jeff noted in his original article was the bumpers. Both the front and rear were color-keyed, and the front bumper had been cut to provide a “split” appearance. These have now been replaced with standard chrome bumpers, and this makes an enormous difference to the vehicle’s overall appearance. The Mustang also wore some decals on the rear fenders, and these have been removed. The wheels have undergone a change, and while I like the current wheels, I can’t say that I felt any form of dislike for the previous items either. Both styles suit the vehicle admirably. The owner doesn’t mention any problems with rust, and the vehicle generally looks to be very clean and solid.

The VIN for the Mustang indicates that it left the factory fitted with an H-Code 351ci V8 under the hood. Equipped with a 2-barrel carburetor, this engine produced 250hp. When you look at the engine now, you have to wonder whether the addition of a Shaker is an indication that things might not be altogether standard. Beyond that, we do know that the Mustang also comes outfitted with a 4-speed manual transmission, power steering, and power brakes. The owner doesn’t indicate how well the Mustang runs or drives, but what I will say is that the presentation of the engine bay is about as neat and tidy as you could ever hope to find in a vehicle of this type. One aspect that I do like is that the owner hasn’t let the wild exterior custom work influence the presentation under the hood. The temptation would potentially have been there to add plenty of chrome and dress-up items, but thankfully, the owner has avoided falling into this trap. This is an owner who has chosen to let the body do the talking for this car.

When the Mustang last featured here at Barn Finds, the interior presentation and condition were something of a highlight. The photos that the owner provides this time aren’t the greatest, but they tend to indicate that the trim and upholstery remain as good today as they did back then. I can see no real problems in the supplied photos, and they seem to indicate that the interior remains unchanged from how it was in this photo from Jeff’s previous article. From my perspective, I can’t see any problems that the next owner will be forced to address.

One welcome additional photo that the owner supplies this time is of the cargo area. This generally looks to be quite nice, and the overall impression is pretty positive. I do notice that the fit of the upholstery and trim around the lower rear corner of the side glass is a bit bunched and rippled. It isn’t clear whether this is an issue on both sides of the vehicle, but as it appears to be either cloth or carpet, a good upholsterer might be able to tidy that aspect a bit. It is also hard to determine whether the rear seat is still present and folded down, or whether it has been removed completely. The board front on the leading edge of where the seat should be would tend to indicate that it is either no longer there, or that sitting in the rear seat would be an uncomfortable experience with that board digging into the back of your thighs. If the seat is still present, returning it to a useable state might not be a big job. Otherwise, the next owner would probably be best-served to consider the Mustang as strictly a two-seater.

Custom builds will always have the ability to polarize opinion. We have seen that in the past here at Barn Finds, and I expect that the same will be true of this car. There will be enthusiasts who will feel that making such radical changes to a vehicle as iconic as a 1st Generation Mustang is completely wrong, while there will be others who will applaud the bravery and ingenuity of the person who undertook this conversion in the first place. I actually quite like it, and the number of people currently watching the listing would seem to indicate that I’m not the only person who feels this way. What will be interesting will be to see how lively the bidding eventually gets, and what the Mustang finally sells for.

More: Ford / Mustang / Station Wagon

SHARETWEET

Parked in 2010: 1984 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1984 Ford Mustang GT was recently extracted from the garage of the original owner, where it was parked in since 2010 due to a fuel leak. The Mustang is an early “four-eye” example that comes with the preferred manual transmission and T-top roof. While the paint may not look that glossy when you pick it up (pictures taken on a rainy day), the original GT-specific decal kit is still present, and red and black is a great color combo. Despite some lingering mechanical needs, the Mustang starts, runs, drives, and stops, so it should be a fairly straightforward revival for the next owner. Find it here on eBay with bids to $1,800 and the reserve unmet.

The interior features standard GT-spec equipment, like the three-spoke steering wheel and sport bucket seats. While the cabin looks tired, it is complete, it would likely freshen up with a good detailing, and mileage is listed at 117,405. The seller does acknowledge that the T-top roof required some silicone to address leaks, but I don’t see any evidence of major damage caused by water intrusion – and the floors aren’t rusty, either. Thankfully, the long-term garage storage likely kept moisture at bay, at least the kind that can wreck havoc if it slips in under the T-tops. The seller notes the original cargo shade is included and the headliner needs replacement.

The engine is the venerable 5.0L V8 found in nearly all GT-class Mustangs, but it’s also the source of why the car was parked a decade ago. The carburetor had a minor fuel leak which the seller notes is still an issue, and he cannot guarantee it will be repaired before sale due to local shop closures (a shame if true – there weren’t many small, independent shops left as it was). Hopefully, the fuel leak is a simple fix for the next owner, but definitely not an issue you want to let go before too long. The car is described as being completely stock, with none of the typical modifications that Mustang owners love to lavish on the GT models.

The paint will definitely dull a bit when not wet, but single-stage cars tend to have a good shot at bouncing back color-wise regardless. The original dealer badge is one of my favorite details, as those tend to get lost as cars get older. It’s also good to see the original GT graphics still hanging on, as those, too, fade with age and prolonged sun exposure. Stock, early Mustang GTs with the preferred combo of the 5.0L V8 and manual transmission don’t grow on trees anymore, and this one looks like it’d come back nicely with a few weekends’ worth of sweat equity.

Storage Unit Find: 1982 Ford Mustang GLX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Update 3/27/20 – Another big price cut! This Mustang is now listed here on eBay for $6,500 or best offer. Are we getting closer?
Update 2/19/20 – The seller has cut their asking price by two grand! Is that enough to find a buyer though?
From 2/8/20 – This 1982 Ford Mustang GLX may not be everyone’s idea of a performance car, but it is an interesting alternative to the GT if you’re looking for a Fox Body. The reason I say this is because it could be optioned to the hilt when new and still come with a respectable 3.8L V6 powerplant. Of course, the wire-look hubcaps pretty much tell you all you need to know about this car’s intentions, but Ford did allow customers to order a GLX with the V8 and TRX wheels. Check out this long-parked survivor here on eBay where it’s listed with 63,000 miles for $9,500 or best offer.

There’s some great info out there about why the GLX was such an intriguing model at the time. Ford was basically allowing customers to not live with a penalty-box base model but also avoid stepping up the “powerful” GT if that wasn’t their bag. The GLX allowed customers to have a more luxurious driving experience if that was their priority, without sacrificing access to performance if speed was also a must-have. The GLX set the stage for the later LX trim, which effectively offered a lower-spec model with GT-grade power and performance – with a lighter overall curb weight.

Now, this particular car really was the epitome of how Ford intended most GLXs to be ordered, with the automatic transmission, six cylinder engine, and fancy hubcaps. Still, it came with a handsome woodgrain-look dashboard fascia, and the four-spoke steering wheel was intended to invoke some sense of sportiness. The rest of the cabin was standard Fox Body fare, though it’s worth noting in this case that the bucket seats appear to be in excellent condition, and aside from a good vacuuming, not much else is needed to have the cockpit looking top-notch.

The engine bay appears surprisingly clean for a car that I’m sure has been parked for some time. The seller notes that it runs and drives, but that’s all he shares for details on mechanical health. The optional T-tops give this car some level of sportiness, but it’d be further enhanced if the original owner had opted to stick with the manual gearbox. Still, the great colors and surprisingly well-preserved interior make this GLX worth a look if you’ve been hunting for an obscure Fox Body that isn’t a GT or a pace car tribute. Would you spring for this

SHARETWEET

Nice High-Boy! 1976 Ford F-250

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

It seems like there are a lot of nice Ford Trucks and Broncos coming out of Montana lately, in fact, we’ve featured several here on Barn Finds. This 76 F-250 currently resides in Canyon Creek, Montana and it had the same owner for forty years! It can be found here on eBay with a current bid of $3,550. The truck itself has quite a few miles that were apparently mostly commuting between Montana and Washington state. The engine may surprise you in a good way. Take a closer look at this solid old truck!

The truck has well over 200,000 miles on the odometer, but the engine only has about 30K miles on it. As you can see from the air cleaner, this is a 428 cubic inch V8 that is out of a 1968 Mercury. The ad says the engine was rebuilt using a different block, but it does measure out to a 428. It is said to run well with no smoke, leaks or knocks. The truck came with a factory large radiator along with an NP435 four-speed transmission linked to an NP205 transfer case. There needs to be a little work done to the power steering and the rear lights aren’t working, so there are a few things for the new owner to address.

The interior looks fairly original except for the carpet that has been replaced. I think these trucks are required to have a saddle blanket seat cover! The door panels and headliner are weathered, but still usable. There are quite a few sources for aftermarket replacement parts if this truck eventually gets restored. The seller does say the windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced. There are a few other little things that need to be addressed, but nothing too serious.

According to the ad, the owner wrecked the truck while hunting in the 1980s and the cab and box were replaced along with a re-spray in factory colors. There is also a lot of original paperwork is included with the sale as well, which is a plus. Overall, not a bad truck that would make a good driver or project. What do you think about this one?

More: F-250 / Ford

Dan Gurney Special! 1969 Mercury Cyclone

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

As of late, we have covered quite a few Ford Fairlanes/Torinos from the late ’60s and early ’70s. Not found often anymore is Mercury’s counterpart, the Montego and its performance variant, the Cyclone. Fortunately, one has turned up in Tampa, Florida and it is available here on craigslist for $24,000. Thanks to Matt R. for this tip!

If you assume that the muscle car era stretched the years between 1964 and 1972, the year 1969 was probably the pinnacle. You can argue that the Hudson Hornet or the Oldsmobile Rocket 88 from the ’50s were really the first muscle cars but I’m referencing a movement. By 1969, all domestic manufactures were involved with the exception of Cadillac and Lincoln. Even Chrysler kept a hand in it, in particular, with its ’70 Hurst inspired 300. That said, by 1969 Mercury was really starting to lose its identity as it had become a more nicely equipped Ford. Mercury would continue to sell well for quite a few years but the attrition and identity loss was slowly progressing. This Cyclone, the performance version of the mid-sized Montego, shows its Ford derived origins with its architecture, powertrain and basic exterior appearance.

This Cyclone is a special Dan Gurney model but not the Dan Gurney Spoiler II model which included an extended nose piece like its Ford Talladega cousin. The seller has a “Marti” report attesting to this Cyclone’s provenance and it is believed to be one of about 50 still in existence. This example is nice and straight with all of its body panels aligned as they should be but there is rust bubbling through both doors and the quarters. And it’s the type of rust that is usually more extensive than what initially appears. Though this Mercury calls Tampa, Florida home, it is supposedly a California car so it’s hard to say what exposure has helped to promulgate the rust. The rear spoiler and hood scoop are correct for this model while the finish is correct in white with black accents and it is aged as expected for a 51-year-old vehicle. The only thing that seems to be missing are the Dan Gurney fender decals.

Under the hood is a Ford 351 CI, “Windsor” V8, developing 290 gross HP and backed up by a four-speed manual transmission (not a great image but it is the only one included in the listing). The manual transmission is a nice addition as so many Fords/Mercurys of this era are equipped with an automatic unit. One note of confusion is that the seller states this Cyclone was supposed to be equipped with an automatic transmission but I can’t follow that via the Marti report. Whatever the case, the seller states that this Cyclone, “Runs and drives well.” BTW, note what looks like new blue Ford engine paint. It may be indicative of recent engine work or just an attempt to pretty the mill up a bit to help with the sale.

All Dan Gurney models were equipped with blue vinyl upholstery and that’s exactly what this example possesses. The seat fabric looks surprisingly good though the dash, steering wheel and kick panels could use some assistance. The carpet, which is probably original, is in place but I would recommend, based on the exterior body panel rust, to examine the floors for similar style corrosion. The bench seat combined with the four-speed shifter creates a neat visual instead of the more commonly found bucket seat/center console combination.

While very similar to the fastback Ford Fairlane/Torino, this Cyclone stands out because it’s not a Fairlane or a Torino. It has all of the design benefits and mechanical bits of its Ford counterpart but it has its own identity and is a model frequently not seen any longer. The fact that this Cyclone is a Dan Gurney model just adds to its uniqueness and probably its value. If I were inclined to pursue a FoMoCo muscle car from that golden era, this Cyclone would be a nice substitute for a Torino, don’t you think?

More: Cyclone / Mercury

Back