Barn Finds

1965 Ford Mustang Fastback Barn Find!

Todd Fitch
Todd Fitch

Cast aside and forgotten like a holey bucket, this 1965 Ford Mustang 2+2 in Willow Park, Texas serves as a teaser for a collection of more than 20 classics up for sale here on Facebook Marketplace. Described as “unmolested,” the blue/blue fastback features an inline six cylinder engine and a three-speed manual transmission with floor shifter, a low-budget combination for folks wanting a blend of reasonable performance, economy, and a long life of service. A video here on YouTube provides a brief glimpse of the little Ford near the end. According to the seller, not a single Check Engine light plagues the collection!

Ford Motor Company used many pages of its 1965 sales literature promoting the “Fastback 2+2.” These louvers offered “Silent-Flo Ventilation,” especially noteworthy if you know someone named Florence.

Dig that ’70s? carpeting! Somewhere a mod and thoroughly paneled basement bar is missing a big rectangle from the floor. Apparently a number of parts were removed without “molesting” the interior. Luckily parts for early Mustangs are readily available. Assuming the engine is original, it would be the 125 HP 200 cid I6. Visit media.ford.com for these and many other details about Ford’s always-popular Mustang.

I’m not sure if paint falls in the category of “molestation” or not, but the current hue appears darker than what looks like Silver Blue on the door frames. For decades a straight-six car was mainly interesting only after it received a proper high-performance V8. These days, though, I’d be tempted to get this car cleaned up, safe, and running but mostly “as is” with minimal parts. Folks might walk past a row of high-powered V8 cars to check out a never-restored 1965 I6 Fastback 2+2. I know I would. How would you treat this Texas barn find?
Have something to sell? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Ford / Mustang

First SVT Lightning I have ever seen with a Truck Cap.

Much-Loved Muscle Truck: 1995 Ford Lightning

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1995 Ford Lightning is the limited-production hot-rod version of the venerable F150 pickup, and the seller is the original owner who has racked up a massive 352,000 miles on his truck! That’s huge mileage for such a limited production vehicle, but if the cosmetic condition is any indication, it has been loved since Day 1. The seller notes that he never intended to sell the high-performance pickup, and his investment in its mechanical health certainly speaks to that with a complete engine rebuild in its history file. The Lightning is now offered for sale here on eBay with bidding to $5,000 and the reserve unmet.

The seller has made some interesting styling decisions that either make this Lightning into a bit of a sleeper or potentially indicate it was never bought to use in anger. The bed cap and steel wheels with hubcaps are dramatic departures from the usual look for a Lightning comprised of a slick tonneau cover and the upgraded 17-inch wheels and tires. Regardless, the seller claims the wheels are the only deviation from stock condition (and obviously, the bed cap is removable) but doesn’t mention whether the original 17″ wheels are included. To me, those wheels really complete the look of a Lightning, and the fact that they’re missing is a disservice to the truck.

All of the other important details are there, however, including the Lightning-specific embroidered seats. The driver’s bolster does show a pretty significant tear exposing the inner seat frame, but that’s expected for this kind of mileage. Overall, the pictures give me a feeling that there are some rough edges here and there, particularly in the bed: the one fuzzy photograph through the cap glass doesn’t reveal the sparkling clean bed that I was expecting. Overall, it makes me wonder if this Lightning would be a more compelling purchase with a thorough detailing, and certainly better pictures because the list of mechanical improvements is extensive.

The entire engine has been rebuilt, with the seller noting the build included a polished crank and the block bored 0:30 with new flat-top pistons. The transmission was also serviced with fresh Amsoil fluid, and a new exhaust has been installed. The front suspension was rebuilt as well, and the seller also sprung for a new radiator, battery, and brakes. It sounds like a turnkey truck that can be driven confidently despite the mileage, and if the cosmetics were freshened up, the bed cap deleted, and the proper wheels/tires sourced, it’d look infinitely better. Lightnings are on the rise as younger collectors get into the market, and if the reserve is reasonable, this one could be a solid buy with the heavy lifting already done.

More: Ford

Cobra Jet Convertible! 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

Well admittedly, this one doesn’t look like much. The debate will be what it is versus what it was – does the value carry forward? On paper, this is a rare car and worthy of a close look. It’s a 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 convertible Cobra Jet, Ram Air equipped model. It is located in Franklin, Indiana and available here on eBay for a current bid of $11,000, reserve not yet met.

No question about it, the VIN provided in the listing checks out; I don’t believe I have ever come across one of these. Cougars are generally associated more with a luxury bend than performance tracks, the go-fast features being left up to the Cougar’s corporate cousin at Ford, the Mustang. That said, the Cougar was available with its own performance chops that were every bit as daunting as those available to the Mustang. And the Cougar was, after all, a Mustang at heart, just stretched out a bit.

The elephant in the room, in this case, is the missing 428 CI, 335 gross HP CJ Ram Air engine (Ford marketing material of the time refers to this feature as either “Ram” or “Ram Air Induction”) – it’s nowhere to be found. In its place is a non-running 351 CI V8 that the seller believes is a Cleveland variant. I’m not that adept at visually spotting a Windsor vs. a Cleveland engine so I’ll ask for some input on that matter from our Ford expert commenters. This Cougar has a three-speed automatic transmission, whether it is the original C6 or not is unknown. Not only non-running is this Merc, but the seller also advises that it has not run in many years.

Cruising the exterior, it’s a pretty quick study, it’s mostly straight but there is rust-through in places and some seriously missing rear parts like taillights, quarter panel extensions, bumper, etc. The driver’s door looks like it’s off a bit and that could be due to misalignment, failing hinges or the convertible uni-body settling out. Most of the trim is present, so that’s helpful to have as well as the convertible top mechanism as they can be expensive. The top fabric obviously needs to be replaced but that’s not a major problem. While the Ram hood scoop is still in place, there are no images or words regarding the underside components that fit over the top of the air cleaner induction assembly.

Underneath, there are concerns; recall what I said about “convertible uni-body settling out”, I could have substituted, “Convertible uni-body failing” but it’s hard to tell for sure how extensive the rot is and what it is adversely affecting. This much is certain, the seller stating that this Cougar is “rusty” is the understatement of the day. There are two images of the trunk included but it’s not possible to get a good look at the pan as the mat is still in place, it would be nice to know what’s under it. The 2X4 trunk lid support is part of the deal…….

Not to sound like a school kid but the interior is gross. It looks like it is mostly there, not sure why the rear seat and piston covers have been removed. A deep cleaning is in order and that may help a potential buyer better determine what they are actually getting. One of the first impulses would be to pull up the carpet and see what’s residing underneath but a close inspection of the underside of this convertible may immediately answer that inquiry and negate the need to rip up the rug. Small point, but it looks like the glove box is missing; I wonder how hard it is to find one of those for a ’69 cougar?

Completely intact, with its original engine, this Cougar would probably be considered a “holy grail” muscle car. The seller claims that this is one of only 127 Ram Air induction cars built in ’69 and he does have a Marti report that gives specific details on how this rare Cougar was originally equipped. The legitimacy of this Cougar XR7 would seem to be without question. What is questionable is the value of its rarity. With the original engine or even a date-correct replacement, that rarity would translate into a significant dollar value. Without it, it seems more like just an XR7 Convertible, and a pretty worn out one at that. There are 41 bids that have been tendered, not sure how many actual bidders but there are those that see value here. With four auction days to go, this one will be worth watching. So, what do you think, rare and valuable; rare and not valuable or nothing really special now?

More: Convertible / Mercury Cougar XR7

31k Original Miles: 1969 Ford Torino GT

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

It might not be perfect, but this 1969 Ford Torino GT is quite a clean car that would appear to be rust-free. It has no obvious urgent needs, and any work that is required could easily be tackled in a home workshop. Making it all the more tempting is the fact that is has a claimed 31,000 original miles on the odometer. This is a car that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately, making it a tempting proposition. The Torino is located in Roselle, Illinois, and is listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has been pretty lively and has pushed the price along to $9,001. The reserve hasn’t been met at this stage, but there are 101 people who are watching the listing.

The owner doesn’t supply a lot of photos of the Wimbledon White Torino’s exterior, but he does supply this single shot of the vehicle’s underside. I have to say that it looks clean and dry, which is a pretty encouraging sign. The owner makes no mention of any rust issues with the Torino, and as seems to be the case with the floors, the panels all appear to be clean and solid. The paint looks quite decent for a car of this age, but there is evidence to suggest that it may have received at least a partial repaint at some point. The external trim and chrome look quite good, while I can’t see any significant flaws with the glass.

Powering the Torino is a 302ci V8, which is backed by a 3-speed manual transmission. This wasn’t the most potent combination in the Torino armory, but with 220hp on tap, the Torino was still a respectable performer. The owner states that the car drives really well and that it has recently received a new clutch and new brakes. It is that last claim that I find interesting because if you scroll back up to the photo of the Torino’s underside, you can see fluid leaking down the tire. I don’t know about you, but that looks suspiciously like brake fluid to me. Maybe the photo was taken before the brakes were done, but that is a question that would be well worth asking. The owner also claims that the Ford has a genuine 31,000 miles on its odometer, so it would be worth enquiring about the possibility of evidence to verify this claim as well.

The Torino’s interior is interesting because while it doesn’t look bad, there are some aspects that look tired and baked. The seats look quite good, with no obvious rips, tears, or major fading issues. However, the tops of the door trims and the dash pad look really cooked and are potentially beyond salvation. There are a number of plastic trim items that have also deteriorated and would need to be replaced if the interior is to be presented to a high standard. My initial thinking was that a trim kit might be on the cards, but there are so many good pieces left inside the car that I believe that this could be a waste of money. After all, a complete kit will leave no change from $1,700, and on top of this, you would still need to allow for the cost of restoring or replacing the pad. With those factors in mind, sourcing individual parts might eventually be a better option to consider.

This ’69 Torino GT would appear to be a solid car with plenty of potential. Rust doesn’t appear to be a problem, and whipping the interior into shape could quite easily be tackled in a home workshop. Its specifications mean that it is not going to be a car that is worth huge money, but if the mileage claim can be verified, then that will have some impact on its ultimate value. In its current state, I would expect that bidding might push up around $13,000, although it could go slightly higher. If it is solid and clean and the reserve is less than that figure, it could potentially be a pretty reasonable buy.

More: Ford / Torino GT

Reef Blue: 1993 Ford Mustang LX 5.0

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1993 Ford Mustang LX appears to wear a rare factory color known as Reef Blue, one of the prettier colors you could order your Fox Body ‘Stang with in 1993. The seller doesn’t make any mention of the paint, but I’m fairly certain the Mustang faithful would quickly identify this clean hatchback as extra desirable for its bright blue paint job. The car is, overall, a survivor, with some basic mechanical needs stemming from its extended stay in storage. Find the Mustang here on eBay with bidding over $7K and no reserve.

The seller, a wholesaler, describes the Mustang as decent, but not perfect. Mileage is low, at just 53,757, and it has apparently been stored in a garage for a number of years. This has helped keep the body in good shape, with no problematic rust popping up despite residing near Philadelphia. The hatchback body may not be as desirable as its notchback sibling, but when they are in stock condition like this one is – free of the factory body kid – the rear hatch doesn’t bother me as much. The exhaust doesn’t appear to have been modified, a rarity in Fox Bodies.

The interior remains in good shape, and the door map pockets don’t even appear to be exhibiting too much sag. The automatic transmission may be a buzzkill, but the seller does note it has been rebuilt in October 2019, and the paperwork will come with the sale. The bucket seats show relatively modest signs of use, and the mismatched floor mat is the biggest distraction inside. No details are offered about the interior features, such as whether the A/C still works, but it honestly looks clean enough that I’d be shocked if it didn’t.

The engine bay is a touch dingier than I was expecting, but the seller does disclose that the Mustang will need some refreshing. Right off the bat, he notes the tires are dry-rotted and that brake system components may need to be replaced. Overall, though, these are small issues relative to the prospect of owning a stock Fox Body in a rare color with 5.0L V8 power on board. I’d love it even more if it was a standard shift, but there’s still an awful lot to like here – including the potential to make some modest improvements and own a nicely appreciating modern classic.

Sold Due to Roads: 1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1997 Dodge Viper GTS coupe is a low-mileage example that is being offered by the second owner with under 30,000 original miles. The solid-color GTS, meaning it has no stripes going down the center of the body, looks to be in good condition cosmetically, exhibiting some signs of use normally associated with a driver rather than a time capsule. The seller has decided to sell the Viper due to the poor condition of local roads and not being able to enjoy the Viper to the fullest. Find the coupe here on eBay in an auction listing ending Sunday, with bidding up to $30K with no reserve.

The Viper GTS is a muscle / supercar I have fond memories of, having had the opportunity to drive one as part of the Skip Barber driving school experience. It’s a monster of a car, with a horrible driving position, awkward pedal box, and the sort of power that makes it challenging to drive such a car smoothly as a novice. But it hails from an era where the car didn’t exist to make you look good; no, you had to figure that out for yourself. As far as not having stripes from the factory, some collectors prefer the solid paintwork.

The interior does reveal one tacky detail, which is the Viper snake logo being sewn into the seat back. I realize this is a subjective opinion, but the Viper is not exactly a car that needs a custom touch like this to remind you what it is. It’s already a two-tone bucket, which is eye-catching enough – must it also have a snake’s head? These cabins were made of low-rent materials when new, so it’s hard to expect much out of them in terms of quality years later; it appears the factory radio remains in place.

No major maintenance updates are listed, with the seller simply noting relatively fresh tires and new plugs and oil. The engine at least looks completely stock, but it’s a bit jarring to see the tired cosmetics on the valve cover for such a low-mileage example. The seller’s claim that his hometown in Indiana doesn’t have the sort of road quality to support owning a supercar like the Viper may seem far-fetched, but I can emphasize with not enjoying a hard-riding classic as much due to pockmarked roads and broken pavement. However, I’m not sure it would drive me to part with an iconic muscle car like the GTS.

More: Dodge / viper

“Hertz Style” 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

The seller of this 1965 Ford Mustang claims it was pulled from an Indiana barn several years ago. Unfortunately, there are no photos in the ad showing it in the barn (or being pulled from a barn), so you can decide for yourself. It is now located in Valatie, New York and can be found here on eBay with a current bid over $14,000 the reserve hasn’t been met yet. We recently featured a Shelby Hertz Rent-a-Racer here on Barn Finds that features the same gold racing stripes as this car. That car was a real-deal Shelby and the asking price was deep into six-figures. This car is advertised as having “Hertz style patina.” I’m not sure exactly what that means, but I guess if you drive by really fast, you might get the idea. Check it out and see for yourself.

Unlike the Shelby Rent-a-Racer, this Pony only has a straight-six. The ad says the odometer shows 43,950 miles but the seller isn’t sure if this is accurate or not. They have also replaced the fuel lines, brake lines, and muffler. If this was your car, what would you swap in place of this six-banger? They do say the car has had several modifications in anticipation of swapping in a V8.

The interior is pretty nice and features bucket seats with a wood-rimmed steering wheel. A bit of cleanup and this interior would show pretty well. The rear seat just needs a quick wipe down but looks good. Looks like there’s some spare change back there too…bonus!

As mentioned earlier, the car has been upgraded with some heavy-duty parts in anticipation of a V8 swap. It has a 289 rear end along with a 5-lug conversion front and rear. New shocks along with a new front suspension make driving it a blast. The only real issues you can see are the quarter panel and fastback have some obvious paint and/or body problems. Hopefully, this is merely cosmetic and not structural. Overall, this looks like a decent car and a good project. Fastbacks are highly desirable and this one looks solid. What do you think?

SHARETWEET

Real Factory Half-Cab: 1969 Ford Bronco

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

First-generation Ford Broncos came in several cab configurations. Most of them had a full top while some were roadsters and some were half-cabs. There are a lot of half-cab Broncos that weren’t born that way from the factory, but this one is a real-deal. It is from 1969 and can be found here on eBay with a current bid of $16,000 and the reserve hasn’t been met yet. Half-cab Broncos are about the smallest U.S. built “pick up” you can get. This one is located in Haleyville, Alabama and is in great condition. Have a look!

Unfortunately, this is the only decent picture of the engine. As you can see from the air cleaner, it is a 302 cubic inch V8 mated to a 3-speed transmission on the column. The seller says it runs like it did when it was new and runs very smoothly. It’s a little hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like routine maintenance items like hoses, plugs, and wires may have changed over the years, which is a good thing.

The interior looks clean and original. Even the dash pad and seat cover look like they don’t have any cracks or real wear. Of course, these may have been replaced since new. With the popularity of these early Broncos, there are tons of aftermarket sources for replacement parts. The seller says the odometer reads 93,000 miles and is “likely correct.” Not a very confident statement, but based on the condition of this one, I’d say they are probably correct. Even the bed only shows a bit of surface rust and not much damage from hard use.

As mentioned before, this is a real factory half-cab. How do you know for sure? The first three digits of the VIN are U14 which indicates a half-cab model. According to earlybroncoads.com, the half-cab for 1969 was extremely rare with only 2,317 being made compared to 18,639 wagons. Along with the rarity, the rear quarter panels haven’t been trimmed for larger tires. This is a huge plus for the originality of the truck and maybe why it is seeing very strong bidding.

Other than a few paint blemishes, this seems like a nice rare survivor. What do you think of this one?

More: Bronco / Ford

21K Original Miles! 1967 Ford Bronco Sport

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

As you probably know, first-generation Broncos continue to be very popular. Finding one that has low mileage with uncut quarter panels is almost unheard of. This 1967 Sport model can be found here on Facebook Marketplace with an asking price of $15,000. Located in Philadelphia, PA, there isn’t any information in the ad regarding how this one has averaged less than 400 miles per year.

Here is a good shot of the driver’s fender. You can tell the rust is mainly on the surface and has not eaten through the sheet metal. With some TLC and a bit of prevention to keep it from spreading, this Bronco can be driven for years without fear of major rust issues.

The engine is a 289 cubic inch V8 with a 3-speed manual transmission. There isn’t any information in the ad regarding the condition, but it looks original and hopefully runs well. If the new owner lives in a hot climate, an aluminum radiator swap would be a good idea. The old small radiator on these trucks doesn’t cool a V8 engine very well.

The interior looks stock and untouched as well. You can see the floor plan by the driver’s feet is pretty rusty which is very common on first-generation Broncos. There are a ton of sources for sheet metal and fixing the floor won’t be a big deal. The driver’s seat has a few tears but looks pretty good for fifty years old. As you can imagine, the back seat is in great shape as well. Again, a nice original example of an untouched Bronco on the inside as well.

Overall, this truck looks like it is very straight and would make a great vehicle for someone. I think it would be a shame to restore it at this point since they are “only original once,” but I guess that’s up to the new owner. What would you do with this one if it was yours?

Ready For Any Terrain: 1965 Ford F-250 4X4

blank.gif
Paul Couch

The Ford F series has been around more than 70 years and continues to be the top-selling pickup in America. Introduced in 1948, the F series is on its 13th generation. This shiny example is a beautiful 4th generation from 1965. The 4th generation F series trucks were built starting in 1960 and lasted through the 1966 model year. This 1965 F-250 4×4 looks like it’s ready to tackle any terrain. It is for sale in Manheim, Pennsylvania and can be found here on Bring-A-Trailer where current bidding is up to $12,000.

The restoration was completed about three years ago and is holding up quite well. The shiny black paint represents well under the bright lights with an almost mirror-like finish. The red accents add a nice contrast and give this truck a nice visual appeal both inside and out. The wood slats in the bed could use a fresh coat of stain. With the addition of 16” aluminum wheels and super swamper tires, this truck looks aggressive and ready for any off-roading adventure.

The interior is clean and simple with only a couple of slight modifications. Again, the red on black contrast works well here. The period-correct bench seat is nice to see here as many of these single cab resto-mods end up with bucket seats. The headliner does look a bit out of place, almost like an afterthought. I think that’s something the new owner will want to look at to really complete the look of the interior.

Under the hood is a 352 ci V8. No word if this is the original engine but the 352 ci was an option in 1965. The engine compartment is clean with some added chrome to bring some shine under the hood. Interesting choice on the multi-colored plug wires but that should be easy to rectify. The electric fan is a welcome sight and should help to keep things cool as the high RPMs and slower speeds off-road tend to raise the temps quite a bit.

Although, it doesn’t look like this truck has ever been off the road. The undercarriage is spotless with seemingly everything from the frame to the axels having a fresh coat of paint.

At the current bid price, this truck is probably a good deal. However, there are currently 897 people watching this one so the bidding could get pretty robust as the auction deadline nears. How high do you think this one will go?

More: 4X4 / Ford

Novice Project: 1965 Ford Mustang Coupe

blank.gif
Chebby

I find it hard to believe people donate sought-after classic cars rather then sell them to eager enthusiasts, but they do. This ’65 Mustang is being offered on eBay at no reserve by an outfit called Just Donated.

The big downside of charity auctions is they usually have little familiarity with vintage cars and tend to give information that’s so general it’s practically useless. Like “TIRES APPEAR TO BE IN GOOD CONDITION ~ TIRES APPEAR TO HAVE ROUGHLY 25% TREAD LEFT”…which means those tires are not much good. “ENGINE NEEDS REGULAR SERVICE”… what does that mean? And of course, those seats would never have been made of leather.

That said, one can sometimes find a gem and this Mustang looks like a pretty solid choice. While it’s located in California, it wears license plates from Arizona (and the window tint to match). There are no underside pictures but Western provenance is usually good news. On the downside, it’s been photographed wet, the paint is clearly rough, the interior is worn, and there’s some visible rust bubbling.

But there’s a lot to like here. The body is straight, the stance is good, original hubcaps are present, and the bumpers and chrome trim are shiny. While some details look incorrect, there don’t seem to be any major pieces missing. Those rub-strips are likely aftermarket—you may or may not care for them—but they fit the body lines well. Factory air-conditioning is a nice plus on such a low-option car, but as you might expect, it’s not currently working.

This is never going to be a top-dollar classic, but since it runs and drives, you can probably give it a good cleaning and start enjoying it right away while you sort it out to your satisfaction. Early Mustangs are great-looking cars and the basic models have just as much style as the fully-loaded ones. Could this Mustang be your little pony? If you need more of a challenge, we’ve got a ’66 Fastback for you…

SHARETWEET

Rare Factory Sleeper! 1975 Ford Granada 351

Todd Fitch
Todd Fitch

After gas prices broke the 50 cents/gallon mark, folks realized that fuel economy was serious business. Ford touted the Granada as offering room for five in a smaller, more economical package than contemporary full-sized sedans. Furthermore, Ford compared the Granada to European luxury cars like the Mercedes 280. This 1975 Ford Granada in Tampa, Florida features the rare 351 cid (5.8L) V8. With air conditioning, power windows, and other options, but “*not* in the higher-end Ghia trim, it makes an interesting vehicle. After sitting for 25 years it received a fuel system cleansing, new exhaust system, and more. Presumably, it runs, but the always-irritating ALL CAPS listing here on craigslist fails to mention whether or how anything on the car functions. You can find out for the asking price of $6900.

The car sits at a dealership, but would a professional not simply step backwards to bring the entire car into the frame? At least one picture accomplishes this complicated photographic feat. The seller reports a re-spray in base / clear, and the car presents well, though the $8 chrome exhaust tips from K-Mart have got to go. Luckily no one has flipped out seeing the 351 and the dog dish hubcaps and speculated that this was some sort of special police Captain’s car, as we have witnessed in the past.

Compliment the seller for showing the driver’s seat, generally a good indicator of mileage and condition. In this case, the factory seats were ensconced under vinyl that was only recently removed. They look even better than most car seats after 77k. Bucket seats were typical for the European-minded Granada. No evidence or details confirm the Marti report mentioned.

Somewhere under the maze of hoses and wires lies the storied 351W or “Windsor” V8. While the 351C or “Cleveland” often steals the glory with its high-flowing cylinder heads, millions of 351W-powered cars mean cheap and readily-available parts, and the “W” makes the Top Ten Engines of All Time list here at onallcylinders.com. Laugh all you want at the smog-constricted 163 horsepower, but that number can be easily doubled for some real sleeper fun. Picture this car exactly as it sits except with 350 HP, overdrive, police suspension, wider steel wheels, and slightly fatter tires. A competent driver of *that* car could surprise today’s European sedans, let alone those from the ’70s. How would you change this interesting Ford?

Cheap Project: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback

blank.gif
Chebby

If you like Pina Coladas, cars left out in the rain, you’re not into health food, and you have half a brain, perhaps you’ll be interested in what’s left of this Ford Mustang, which is listed as both a 1966 and a 1965, and offered here on eBay. The seller states “For restoration! Cheap”.

Well now, cheap is a relative term. The Mustang is one of the few cars I can think of where a hardtop model sells for more than the convertible. Perhaps this makes sense in terms of rarity. In 1966, Ford built nearly half a million regular Mustang coupes, and 72,119 convertibles, but only 35,698 fastbacks. Despite being a sexier 2+2 design, a new fastback cost $200 more than a coupe, and that must have been enough to discourage the average Joe from “ponying up”, har har.

The seller provides little information besides the VIN, a helpful offer to obtain a title for extra money, and the admonishment “what you see is what you get”. What you can see is a hot mess of rust and dents and calico body parts. I did take the time to stitch two pictures of the engine together, which is more than the seller could be bothered with. The fender says 289, the air cleaner says 302… Lucy, you got some ‘splaining to do.

The transmission is manual, like the labor you will be putting in. The good news is, parts are easy to come by. Tony D. Branda of Branda Mustang Parts told Hemmings, “I can’t think of anything that isn’t available. You can build an entire car from scratch, just about.” If you buy this car, you will probably have him on speed-dial as Uncle Tony.

The bad news is, rust and poorly done prior repairs are the biggest problems in restoring early Mustangs. Rot is common in the floors and front and rear frame rails, and the base of the cowl and inner fenders are known to hide rust. On this particular pony, the obvious rust is obscuring the hidden rust. But hey, some guys like a real challenge.

After all, Mustangs are beautiful cars, they’re American icons, and they never go out of style. A little elbow grease and this could be you:

So is this $7,000 fastback how you’d like to spend the rest of your life, or can we interest you in a nifty ’65 coupe?

Boat Included! 1968 Ford F250 4×4 Camper

blank.gif
Jonny

I thought overlanding was a relatively new phenomenon, but this 1968 Ford F250 appears to prove me wrong. The waters of “expedition” and “overlanding” are a little muddy, largely differing in the intent of the trip, but if you’re not familiar with overlanding, Overland Journal defines it as “self-reliant adventure travel to remote destinations where the journey is the primary goal.” It looks like this 1968 Ford F250 could be a vehicle capable of such adventure, as long as there’s plenty of headroom for that boat! Thank you to an anonymous Barn Finds reader for sending in this tip. It can be found here on Bring-a-Trailer, where bids are currently at $12,500.

This is one of only 411 1968 F250s painted in Pebble Beige — a color that seems so fitting for this setup. These were equipped with only a 5-digit odometer, which is currently showing approximately 22k miles. The seller doesn’t indicate if it’s rolled over, but it looks like this really has covered less than 500 miles per year since new. Hood and tailgate paint have been touched up, but appear to match well. The basic hubcaps on the body colored 16″ wheels keep with the utilitarian theme. It’s hard not to notice the boat and trailer stored on the roof of the camper. I’ve never seen anything like this, nor do I expect to see anything like it ever again. Rather than try to describe how this actually functions in text, scroll to the end of the pictures in the Bring-a-Trailer listing to see photos.

Not to be outdone by the exterior, this F250’s interior contributes to the assumption this has only 22k original miles. Standard 1968 interior fare that I would believe looks even better than it did when new. Several gauges have been added, including a tachometer and voltmeter. There’s even an added altimeter on the steering column! All of these offering peace of mind for that next overland trip, right?

I can’t lead with this being a camper and not actually show the camper part. Not many niceties here — really just a clean space for catching some shuteye and escaping the elements. Again…keeping with the theme — (presumed) low-mileage utilitarian. I’ve never thought any vehicle could simultaneously be utilitarian and inviting. This truck just keeps proving me wrong.

According to the Marti Report, the 360-2power plant mated to the NP435 4-speed manual transmission was not an uncommon combination. After being pulled from a 20-year storage this year, a remanufactured carburetor was installed, ignition components were replaced, and engine fluids were changed.

There’s a lot that can be said about this 1968 Ford F250, but I think the 400+ photos do a much better of saying them than I can. If you’re looking for something you never knew you needed, this just may be that thing for you.

3 hours ago • For Sale9 Comments
World’s Most Valuable? 1965 Shelby GT350R Prototype
Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Those of you with your fingers on the classic car pulse will know that the outright sales record for the world’s most expensive Mustang was set in January. You will probably also know that this was the legendary “Bullitt” Mustang driven by the late Steve McQueen in the movie of the same name. That record stands at $3.74 million, and there were plenty of people that believed that the record would stand for a very long time. Well, possibly not. There is a vehicle set to hit the auction blocks in May that has the potential to shatter that record and many of those people who are “in the know” believe that it will. The car in question is a 1965 Shelby GT350R. However, this isn’t just any Shelby, but it is, in fact, the prototype. The GT350R is located in Indianapolis, Indiana, and is listed for sale here on Mecum. If you have a lazy $4 million or so, this truly significant car could very well be yours.

The GT350R, which was assigned the Shelby designation of SFM5R002, was built in 1965. It served as a test-bed for many of the development ideas and components that found their way into the 34 examples of the customer GT350R which were built to compete in the SCCA Production Sports Car Series. Even though it carried the “2” designation, it was the first GT350R to be completed and was also the first Shelby Mustang to both race, and score a competition win. It accumulated a list of pretty illustrious pilots, including Bob Bondurant, Chuck Cantwell, Peter Brock, Jerry Titus, and the legendary Ken Miles. In fact, this was the only Mustang that Miles ever drove in competition. When the GT350R was homologated for SCCA B Production Car racing, it was this vehicle that was not only presented by Shelby for that process, but is also the car that is illustrated in the official Homologation Papers. It remained in competition for a number of months before SFM5R001 was brought in to replace it. The car then served as a test mule for the production GT350, as well as a mobile sales tool for any competitors that might be interested in purchasing a GT350R for competition. It returned to competition for Shelby later in 1965, before eventually being sold in 1966. From there it continued racing for a number of years with great success, before finally being retired in 1972. At that point, 5R002 was placed on a trailer, painted in grey primer, and then parked in an open shed.

Having been left at the mercy of time and the elements, it would have been conceivable that the car could have deteriorated to a state where it was beyond help. Thankfully, it was discovered in that open shed in 1989, and with money changing hands, 5R002 had a new owner. The car was displayed in “as found condition” for many years, including a 14-year stint in the Shelby American Museum. Eventually, the vehicle underwent a full restoration, a process that took an incredible 4-years. The process took the car back to its roots. As it stands now, the Shelby is in exactly the same configuration that it was in when it made its competition debut in Green Valley, Texas, on February 14th, 1965. That means that it wears the correct Wimbledon White paint, the correct signage, and the distinctive Cragar Shelby 15″ magnesium-centered wheels. Under the hood rests a correct 289ci V8, backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. The restoration work has been completed to the highest standard, and there were a number of former Shelby engineers brought in to ensure that every aspect of the build was undertaken with as much accuracy as possible. This process was also aided by the availability of the SCCA Homologation Papers because as previously mentioned, it was this car that provided all of the information for that process. As a blueprint, that represented a pretty decent starting point.

Given the Shelby’s competition history, it’s no surprise to find that the interior is about as “bare-bones” as you are ever likely to find. In fact, you can be pretty sure that if SCCA Class B regulations hadn’t required it, there would have been no front passenger seat fitted. There is certainly no rear seat, and because regulations required the vehicle to carry a spare tire, there is one secured to the rear parcel tray. Any item surplus to requirements was removed to save weight. This included the carpet, all upholstery, the kick panels, radio, and even the door for the glove compartment. As anyone who has ever raced will be happy to tell you, every ounce counts in the quest for speed. The interior has a true sense of purpose about it and is also spotlessly clean. For those who might doubt the provenance of 5R002, it comes with a raft of documentation tracing its history right back to day one. It is this sort of information that makes the difference between a potentially good find, and a truly great one.

This vehicle poses one truly vexing question, and that is; Can the very first Shelby Mustang race car command a higher price than the “Bullitt” Mustang? That’s a difficult one because the Bullitt Mustang is such an iconic vehicle, and it remains legendary and instantly recognizable some 52-years after it first graced the big screen. However, the Shelby GT350 marked that moment in time when the Mustang graduated from being a pony car that could produce impressive performance, to a raging stallion with attitude and muscle. This is the vehicle that served as a prototype test-bed for the GT350 road car, making it potentially the most significant Mustang to ever emerge from the Shelby factory. When you consider that one of the 34 GT350R customer cars recently sold for more than $1 million and that the 1967 GT500 “Super Snake” sold for a cool $2.2 million back in 2019, that makes a new sales record seem like a possibility. One thing that could potentially negate this is the current economic uncertainty, but if the right buyers do emerge, then it could still happen.

More: GT350R / Prototype / Shelby

Lightly Modified: 1971 Ford Torino 500

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

I really liked the ’66 and ’67 Ford Fairlane until I saw the ’68 and ’69 versions which I liked even better. I thought it interesting that Ford saw fit, as with the Mustang, to build both a notchback and a fastback version – NASCAR racing victories mattered then. And of course, the Fairlane trim got upstaged by, and ultimately became, the new Torino in those years. When the ’70, and its succeeding ’71 model, was introduced, I was more on the fence. And as a result of my fence-sitting, I have not looked closely at either a ’70 or a ’71 so it’s time to delve a little deeper. With that thought, found here on eBay is a 1971 Ford Torino 500, located in Tacoma, Washington and available for a current bid of $4,200, twelve bids tendered as of this writing.

As with the ’68 and ’69 models, there were two different two-door body styles for ’70 and ’71, a conventional two-door hardtop and a fastback or “Sportsroof” like this ’71 example. Regarding this Torino’s body, The seller states, “The Paint Is Older But Still Looks Good. Body Is Straight And Clean.” Based on the accompanying images, I would concur, this Torino presents itself quite well. While the shine on the Grabber Yellow finish may not be mirror-like, it still has depth and is completely passable. I gather with the comment that the paint is “older” it means the finish is a repaint; it’s a little different shade from what’s visible in the door jambs. The side “strobe” stripe appears to be strong and intact too. I would imagine that it’s a replacement and was applied after the refinishing; I understand that they are still available from different suppliers. Interesting to note, the seller has chosen to stay with original style Goodyear Polyglas bias-ply tires. They really set this Torino off beautifully especially as installed on Magnum 500 wheels – it’s a great nod to 1971. The only head-scratcher is the flat black hood, I get the rationale around it, it just doesn’t look right on this car.

The interior of this Torino is pretty basic, black cloth and vinyl stretched over a bench seat with a column shift selector. Basic black, however, is a perfect complement to this Ford’s yellow exterior finish, especially when it’s in the shape that this interior is. Other than a split dash pad, the upholstery and carpet reveal very little wear. And there is a dash cover that fits over the dash pad so you can claim, Split? What split? Likewise, for the headliner and the door cards, nothing is out of place and the interior is good to go as it sits.

This Torino is an “H” code equipped car which means that it was assembled with a 351 CI “Cleveland” V8 engine good for 240 gross HP. This 351, however, has been modified with an aluminum intake manifold, a four-barrel carburetor in place of the original 2V unit and an open-element air cleaner. The seller claims, “351 Engine Runs Strong And Automatic Transmission Shifts Smooth! Runs, Drives & Stops Good! ” The transmission being referenced is a typical Ford three-speed automatic unit.

The one item that is not mentioned, however, is the exhaust cut-outs. When I first spied them poking out behind the front wheels I just assumed they were fake. Nope! There is an underside image that shows them connected to the stock exhaust system; curious item to overlook.

There are two days to go on this no reserve auction. Depending on where the bidding goes, this could be a very reasonable acquisition of a nice ’70s intermediate car that’s just not that commonly found anymore. As I mentioned at the outset, I wanted to take a closer look at this ’71 Torino because I have had a tendency to ignore them. They just don’t turn up on sale boards very often and I can’t remember the last time I saw one at a car show. I’m glad I came across this very nice example. This Torino 500 could be a heck of a buy, don’t you think?

More: Ford / Torino

Barn Find Exhibit! 1957 Ford Thunderbird

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

When one thinks of first-generation (’55-’57) Ford Thunderbirds, an image reminiscent of a furtive Suzanne Somers piloting a white ’56 in the movie American Graffiti comes to mind or perhaps one of Amos Minter’s magnificent restorations placed under the lights at a high dollar auction is conjured. Here’s a bit of a different take on the iconic Thunderbird, a purposefully looking 1957 example with a story. This T-Bird is located in Bristol, Connecticut and is available, here on eBay for a current bid of $8,500, reserve not yet met. Thanks to Ikey H. for this tip!

By 1957 the Ford Thunderbird, as it was known, was about to change by morphing from a two-seater, known as a “Baby Bird”, into a four-seater referred to as the “Square Bird.” And while the ’57 version was the last of the two-seaters it could be distinguished from the ’56 by its notably lengthened rear section which allowed for a bigger trunk and the elimination of the rear bumper-mounted “Continental” spare tire. The bigger trunk could easily accommodate a spare tire as well as other items typically kept in a trunk. Conceptually, this was a small change but pretty significant in that it would be a one year only alteration to a body style that would cease to exist the following model year. Beyond that, the revision gives the T-Bird a longer, more streamlined appearance additionally enhanced by the modified tail fin.

This ’57 T-Bird has spent the majority of its life in Southern California. The soundness of its body, other than some quarter panel rust-through, is a testament to SoCal living as is its faded “Flame Red” finish. Beyond that and some thin chrome, the body looks straight and damage-free. The second owner, who was in possession of this Ford for 46 years, and then in her family for another thirteen years, managed to run up only 59K miles in all of that time. This Thunderbird spent the last year in the Gilmore Car Museum’s (Hickory Corners, Michigan) “Barn Find” exhibit. The faded finish, dog-bowl hubcaps and blackwall tires give this T-Bird a ready-to-rumble vibe, one not usually associated with this vintage Thunderbird. Of note is the porthole equipped removable top, it’s a nice feature but there is no folding convertible lid so top-removed motoring fun will need to be planned around the weather outlook.

The interior of this Thunderbird is spectacular. It is listed as original and unrestored and I’d say remarkable for being white as there is no visible yellowing, splits, tears, cracks or wear. The seller does advise, however, that the foam padding is starting to deteriorate. Under the dash is a non-working dealer-installed A/C unit and there are a few other shortcomings too like a missing lighter and a non-working town & country radio. I’ll go with the seller’s unrestored claim but that carpet looks too good to be original.

For power, this T-Bird has a Ford 312 CI “Y-block” V8 which develops 245 gross HP. The seller doesn’t state how well this Ford runs but it would seem from the wording in the listing that it operates as expected. There is mention made of a carburetor rebuild, charging system repairs and a new fuel tank installed so there has been some mechanical attention applied. Things under the hood look pretty original, about what you would expect, though I’m not certain about the air cleaner lid.

The seller includes a statement that reads, “This is one of those rare original cars that needs everything, yet needs nothing….” I would have to say that is well said! This T-Bird can be driven and enjoyed as is or restored like one of those beautiful Minter examples. But I have to emphasize that I think it’s pretty cool as it rests. The initial image is what caught my attention and it says a lot without saying a thing. The seller adds that he has a lot of original documentation that goes along with this Thunderbird and the family story around this car is a nice addition too. This Ford Thunderbird has an attraction that is all its own and unlike many that become available; it has a unique look about it. If you were interested in this Thunderbird, what would you do with it, keep it as is, make it look a little more original with minimal changes or restore it?

More: Ford Thunderbird

Real-Deal Blue Chip Muscle Car Collection

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

Deep in central Wisconsin, near the town of Portage, lies a very nice collection of muscle cars. They can be found for sale here on Craigslist and the seller says they have been collected over about twenty years. There are no prices listed in the ad, but they are being sold for “market value.” The ad says most of them have appraisals, but it sounds like the seller is realistic in the fact that the prices will be negotiable. Have a look at some of these awesome cars and thanks to Ikey H. for the tip on this great collection.

This Hugger Orange Camaro is from 1969 and is a real-deal Rally Sport Z28 4-speed. It features a houndstooth interior with a center console and gauge cluster. The most amazing part of the car is the fact that it has 18,688 documented original miles!

This 1970 Chevelle SS 396 needs a wash but looks like a really nice car. It is a real 396 4-speed numbers-matching car that has a build sheet and title history. It is a code 72 factory Cranberry Red/black stripe car with a cowl induction hood and SS hood pins. The interior is black with bucket seats and console and has gone through a full rotisserie restoration.

The car on the left is a 1967 Ford Mustang GT Fastback. It is a real S-Code 390 4-speed car that is silver with a black interior along with a factory black hood and black tail panel. The car is apparently a two-owner vehicle and comes with a Marti Report.
The black car is a 1967 Nova SS that is a bit of a resto-mod. It features a 355 cubic inch small block V8 with an aluminum top end that puts out about 475 horsepower. The car is factory black with black interior and has bucket seats. The rally wheels and cowl hood give it a great look without being too over-the-top.

This 1970 Chevelle SS 396 is a true survivor. The Forest Green paint has been repainted once but other than that, it is all original. The interior is green and features bucket seats with a console. Apparently it has never left the county where the owner lives and was owned by the same person for over forty-five years. The seller says that the build sheet(s) should still be in the car, but haven’t been found. Overall, this is a great collection of cars and the owner says they have others that will be for sale in the future as well. What do you think about this collection? Which one is your favorite?

More: Camaro / Chevelle / Chevrolet / Mustang / Nova

Owned By One Family: 1977 Ford F-150 Ranger

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

This is one incredible truck and it has been owned by the same family since new. It’s hard to argue with the condition and who doesn’t like a black on black pickup? This super survivor is listed here on Bring a Trailer as an auction and there is less than one day left to get your bids in. It’s located in Manheim, Pennsylvania and the current bid price is $7,600.

This truck is beautiful, but I could be biased, we had a 1969 Ford F-250 Ranger Camper Special growing up and this era of Ford truck brings back so many great memories. This is a sixth-generation F-150 and they were made for the 1973 to 1979 model years before Ford designers got their straightedges out and redesigned things for the next year.

This Raven Black beauty was sold new in Georgia and remained in the same family until this year, 2020, when it was sold by the original owner’s daughter to a dealer who now has it listed for sale. It has just under 100,000 miles on it. They say that the inside of the bed was painted at some point by the previous owner. I don’t see a flaw in this truck.

The interior is more black, this time vinyl and it has been redone at some point according to the seller. We also had black vinyl seats in our orange 1969 Ford F-250 and it was a nice brocade-like pattern, but man was it hot and uncomfortable in the summer. This F-150 has factory AC as ours did, but this one is nicely-integrated, unlike our cobbled-together, leaky AC. Clearly, in the period from 1969 to 1977, Ford had figured out how to do AC right.

The condition of this truck overall is almost mind-blowing, but it just keeps coming. This clean engine is Ford’s 460 cubic-inch V8 with a four-barrel carburetor, which by 1977 was down to 220-horsepower. The seller has performed a general inspection and this sure looks like a winner. Have any of you owned a sixth-generation F-Series Ford pickup? Any thoughts on this one?

More: Ford F-150

SHARETWEET

No Reserve: 1969 Ford Bronco

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

This 1969 Ford Bronco is said to be a two-owner Montana vehicle until the current owner purchased it recently. Now located in Richmond, Utah, it can be found for sale here on eBay with no reserve. While it has a few issues the new owner will probably need to address, it looks like a nice original rig. The classic slotted wheels fit in with the period and you can tell this one hasn’t been messed with too much. Take a look and decide for yourself.

As you can see the floor pan under the driver’s feet is in need of replacing. The passenger side looks similar but isn’t as bad. There is also a hole in the rear pan near the tailgate. The seller says there was shag carpet on the interior before they purchased it so that probably led to moisture being held and the metal deteriorating. As far as the outside goes, the rockers also have a bit of rust along with the tailgate, but it doesn’t look too bad. You’d have to start removing paint to see exactly how bad the rust was, which would lead to a repaint and/or patch panels, which would take away a lot of the original character of this old Bronco.

Aside from the aftermarket air cleaner, the engine compartment looks fairly original. The seller says the 302 cubic inch V8 may be burning a little oil but after a new fuel pump and rebuilt carburetor, it “started right up and runs good.” The brakes are a little spongy, but hopefully after a quick bleeding and they will be fine.

I’m guessing from this photos the upholstery is original. You can see the seat material is looking brittle and worn. The dash appears to have a few cracks in the pad, but other than that, it looks pretty decent. A new set of seat covers would do wonders for this one since the door panels and headliner look pretty good as well. The rear seat could use a good cleaning, but other than the armrests having a few tears, it looks good.

A fresh coat of Wimbledon White on the grille and front bumper would do wonders to lift the face of this old truck. Overall though, it doesn’t appear to be a bad project. It could be a drive-it-as-you-fix-it project as well. Keeping the floors dry would be a priority though so the rust doesn’t get much worse. What do you think?

Back