Barn Finds

Free Wheeling Project: 1979 Ford Bronco

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1979 Ford Bronco is a desirable Free Wheeling edition, which came with the cosmetic dress-up you see here, featuring vivid colors and graphics splashed across the sides and B-pillars. Finding one today with those original graphics still attached is a challenge, and the seller claims this example has managed to survive with them intact, and no ridiculous lift kit installed. Some modifications are noted under the hood, but really, this seems like an honest truck that is ripe for the restomod trend so popular with older 4x4s these days. You’ll find the Bronco here on eBay located in Texas with bidding just over $10K and the reserve unmet.

While I hate to say it, some cosmetic tweaks could greatly enhance the eyeball appeal of this Bronco. While not everything needs to be spit-and-polished before being put up for sale, a slightly upsized wheel and tire package could transform the way this truck looks on the screen. Then again, if you’re a Bronco purist, buying it without any modifications made to the suspension or wheels and tires may be immensely appealing. There’s little doubt this Bronco has survived all of these years without being modified for off-road use, so why start now? Regardless, I could see this one being snapped up by a dealer that installs the lift kit, plus-sized wheels and tires, and freshens up the interior, likely for a tidy profit.

Off-road capable rigs that never leave pavement are all the rage right now. And while it definitely will get you labeled a poser, it’s also indisputable that the general public loves cool vintage cars and trucks of any denomination, and old-school 4x4s draw a lot of smiles wherever they go. Since I’ve stumbled into Isuzu ownership, it’s amazing to see iconic brands like KC HiLites come back to life as vintage truck owners return to the aftermarket manufacturers that enthusiasts of the 80s supported (remember Marty McFly’s Toyota pickup covered in KC off-road lights?) This Bronco would look good suited up in period-correct modifications, but with original features like the awesome cloth bucket seats restored. The red carpeting also must remain in place, along with the huge center console.

Engine-wise, the seller notes his brother – the previous owner – did some work under the hood. The Bronco is equipped with a 351 V8 that the seller says was rebuilt, which included an Extreme Energy cam, new differential, and other unnamed parts simply described as being “new.” The carburetor was upgraded to a Summit four-barrel, and the seller notes his brother removed the headers (which are not included). While it’s a little bit of a mixed bag, I think you could get this Bronco sorted out without too much effort, especially since it sounds like the rebuild included some worthwhile performance upgrades. The question is, when will it clear the reserve price?
Have something similar for sale? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Ford

No Reserve: Low Mile 1976 Ford F-150

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

It’s amazing how much of an impact good colors can have on a vintage car or truck. You may not love the yellow-on-white look, but to me, this 1976 Ford F150 XLT has tremendous curb appeal just based on the colors alone. The body appears to be in excellent condition with the bed accented by a matching topper. The truck sports original matching hubcaps, chrome trim in nice shape, and under 70,000 original miles. Find it here on eBay with bidding up to $8,500 and offered at no reserve, and located in a very nice looking shop in Albany, Ohio.

The truck sports a long bed with seemingly dent-free panels going down the long, slab sides. The two-tone paint is a great look, but the seller doesn’t mention whether it’s original to the truck. One would hope so, given how everything about this F150 looks incredibly well-preserved. While some folks consider bed toppers a take-it-or-leave-it affair, they at least do a bang-up job of keeping painted beds looking fresh. No photos of the bed are included, so we can’t say for sure whether this one has survived with minimal paint scrapes. Bumpers, front and rear, appear to be in excellent condition.

The same goes for the interior, which looks like it has seen very little use despite not showing time-capsule mileage. The bench seat may have carried two passengers for all these years, but you sure don’t see evidence of it. It seems more likely that the paint is original given how nicely it matches with the paint on the doors and dashboard. No word on whether the truck is equipped with A/C or if it still works, but I’d certainly believe it still functions based on the completeness of the cabin and no evidence of unsightly modifications.

Answering the A/C question could be solved if you spot a compressor in the engine bay – anyone see one? Regardless, the engine would likely pop with a good detailing, as that’s likely just dust on the painted air cleaner, which retains vibrant blue paint. The 390 V8 looks like it’s never left that engine bay, but no word as to whether it’s the matching numbers unit. Overall, this F150 presents better than most new trucks, which is a testament to years of careful owners who clearly intended to drive this truck for the long-haul. I wouldn’t be surprised to see bidding clear $10K.

Black Plate Special: 1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Update 2/28/20 – This sweet California Special has resurfaced here on eBay. The old listing has been removed so we aren’t sure what it went for last time around. Hopefully, the reserve is set at a realistic amount because this would be a fun one to have!
From 8/20/19 – This 1968 Ford Mustang GT California Special is an impressive survivor, highly original in its condition and still wearing its California black plates. The seller provides a compelling narrative as to the car’s longtime West Coast roots and long-term ownership in the hands of an elderly couple. It does have needs but few C/S are likely this honest. Find it here on eBay with bidding over $9K and the reserve unmet.

While you can argue back and forth about the novelty factor of the California Special, there’s little doubt these are rare cars that don’t often come up for sale in this sort of condition. The seller notes that it shows mostly original paint and that the cosmetic pieces specific to the CS kit are all present and accounted for. The listing notes the original fiberglass tail panel is cracked.

This photo shows the longtime owner before passing it on to the seller. The eBay listing describes how the couple owned the car well into their later years for driving to appointments and errands before it simply became too difficult to use daily. The owner begrudgingly handed over the keys and the memories, as he bought this car for his wife on her birthday.

Inside, the driver’s seat has been replaced but the rest of the cabin is said to remain original. The dash pad isn’t cracked, and the seller notes that all the lights and signals are operational. A large amount of spares are available to purchase separately, including a replacement taillight panel, California Special script/graphics kit, and original Cobra 289/302 valve covers.

Cool Convertible: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

It isn’t clear just how long this 1968 Galaxie 500 Convertible had been sitting idle when this photo was taken, but the healthy coating of dust would suggest that it was a while. However, the current owner has dragged it out of storage, and it is roadworthy once again. There are a few minor jobs left to complete, but with Summer just around the corner, this could represent a pretty cool way of enjoying the warmer weather. The Galaxie is located in Wilson, Oregon, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. The owner has recently reduced the price on the big Ford, and at $9,900, it represents a lot of car for your cash. I have to say thank you to Barn Finder local_sheriff for referring the Convertible through to us.

Now that’s a striking transformation when compared to the first photo. The Galaxie now looks an absolute picture finished in Candy Apple Red. The paint has a great shine to it, while the panels appear to be nice and straight. The panel gaps are consistent and quite tight for a vehicle of this age, while rust simply doesn’t seem to be an issue. The owner doesn’t mention any problems, and I can’t see anything obvious in the supplied photos. The external trim and chrome is generally in good condition and has a nice shine to it. The only issue that I can see in this area is some minor damage to the chrome molding on the rocker. This trim is fairly light, and its location does leave it quite prone. Having said that, it really doesn’t look bad. The wheels aren’t original, but I actually quite like them. One of the tasks that will need to be attended to is replacing the fabric for the soft-top. The frame looks like it is okay, but the material has certainly seen better days. Replacements with plastic rear windows can be found for around $350 with all hardware, or the next owner could choose to upgrade to a glass rear window for around $480.

Looking around inside the Galaxie reveals a sea of Red and an interior that is in generally quite good condition. All of the trim looks to be in nice order, while the dash and pad also appear to be free of any significant issues. The carpet might be slightly faded, but it remains quite presentable. The most obvious issue is a split in the front seat on the driver’s side. This could potentially be repaired, but with the seat covers looking a bit tired when compared to the rest of the trim, it would be tempting to replace all of the covers. Replacements are easy to find, and a complete set for the front and rear can be easily found in the correct material for around $580. Of course, a bit of careful shopping could potentially secure a set for even less.

There are no engine photos, but we do know that this Galaxie sports a 390ci V8, and that this is backed by a 3-speed automatic transmission. While it doesn’t specifically rate a mention, I wouldn’t be surprised if the car also features power steering and power brakes. The owner has spent some money on the mechanical components of the Ford to return it to a roadworthy state. The transmission has been treated to a rebuild, while it has received new brakes, new tires, a new gas tank, and numerous other mechanical components. Once again, the owner isn’t particularly forthcoming on how the Galaxie runs and drives, but given the fact that he does float the idea of a test drive, you would have to assume that does drive well.

Due to its size and color, this 1968 Galaxie 500 Convertible is not likely to blend into the background like a Chameleon. It is a car that will attract attention, admiring glances, and plenty of positive comments. It is also a car that would be an effortless summertime cruiser. It isn’t perfect, but it presents well enough to be driven and enjoyed immediately. That sounds like a fair thing to me.

More: Convertible / Ford / Galaxie 500

No Reserve Project: 1972 Ford Bronco

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Update 2/28/20 – This one got bid up to $4,300 when we featured it back in January, but for some reason, it has been relisted here on eBay.
From 1/17/20 – As some vehicles continue to escalate in value, is there a point at which the threshold against which they are judged as builders or donors gets pushed farther out? Inevitably, as has been proven by the collector vehicle market time and again. It’s fascinating to me to see cars and trucks that at one time would have been put out to pasture (literally) suddenly emerge as viable projects. Is this somewhat rusty and engine-less 1972 Ford Bronco here on eBay a potential restoration project? Bids are just over $3K with no reserve, so it looks like it might have a shot at rebirth.

From afar, this Bronco looks crunchy. Up close, there’s daylight pouring through the body in more than one location. It’s too bad, because it still looks quite handsome with its pale yellow paint, chrome roof rack, and tough-looking black fender flares (it’s missing a couple.) The white steel wheels with their generous dish and the meaty tires complete the look, almost helping you forget that this Bronco has no engine. Yes, sadly, the 302 V8 has been pillaged from beneath the aftermarket fiberglass hood, which will also need some repair.

The interior is fair at best, and I wonder if the doors came from another Bronco based on the difference in paint color beneath what I assume was where the door panels once sat. The truck retains its original three-speed manual column shift, according to the seller, but that’s about it for highlights. The original radio is gone and the dash will need repainting if you’re a perfectionist. The front bench is in average shape, with tears noted in the driver’s area. The rear bench seat has been removed and a replacement is not included.

Seeing as this Bronco apparently lives in a retirement home of sorts for Ford’s well-loved off-roader, you begin to wonder if the seller grabbed what he needed and otherwise is planning on someone else taking on the monumental task of fixing all of the rust, some of which is just to the left of this photo where the passenger-side fender has rotted through. Some vehicles you can justify taking on the work of fixing patches of rust and driving it as a rat for years, but this Bronco is on the threshold – safely, within the threshold, in my opinion – of becoming a parts donor. Anyone agree?

Curious Yellow: 1974 DeTomaso Pantera

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

When I was in high-school, one of the rich kid underclassmen showed up at school one morning being driven by his father in a new DeTomaso Pantera. I didn’t know what it was but I liked it. It had that uber-stylish, svelte “had to be Italian” bearing about it but it didn’t sound Italian. It sounded just like the ’71 Mustang Mach 1 that this other rich kid classmate of mine owned. I was smitten and have been ever since. That being the case, let’s take a look at a ’74 DeTomaso Pantera, located in Katonah, New York and available here on Bring A Trailer for a current bid of $50,000, six days to go with the bidding.

The DeTomaso Pantera (Italian for Panther) was produced by DeTomaso between 1971 and 1992. From ’71 through ’75, DeTomaso had an alignment with Ford Motor Company where Ford provided the engine, the Panteras were built to U.S. spec and sold in the U.S. by Lincoln-Mercury dealerships. Total U.S. sales over the five year period were about 5,000 units. A mid-engined, V8, Italian two-seater was pretty heady stuff in ’71. Chevrolet had been talking about a mid-engine Corvette for a few years at that point but it took until this year, 2020, to actually make it a reality.

Right from the get-go, there are four YouTube videos available via the listing and they should be reviewed:
Cold Start
Drive #1
Drive #2
Ride-Along
Additionally, there are about 160 images included and this Marti report.

The most notable thing about the ’74 Pantera is its front safety bumper (we’ve had quite a few discussions lately about Federal bumper standards as they related to both a Datsun 240Z and a Ford/Mercury Capri). It’s definitely out there and obvious but it really is not as out-sized ugly on this automobile as it is on some cars from this era. Most importantly, it does not detract from the clean, straight lines of this Pantera and its strong yellow finish. While the finish is a repaint, it is approximately ten years old and this Pantera is one 0f only 225 finished in this shade of yellow for ’74. The original Carrozzeria Ghia coachwork badges have been reattached to the fenders to help with the authenticity. The underside of this Pantera is super clean, no aspect of it is out of order. There really are no detectible exterior blemishes, dents, accident damage, faded paint, rot, etc.

The interior is similar in scope to the exterior, it oozes Italian design and craftsmanship. The only item out of sort is a crack in the dashboard pad and I imagine sourcing another would be a challenge. The upholstery in this Pantera appears as new and all of the switchgear and instruments, including the power radio antenna, perform as designed. The seller states that the original York A/C compressor has been ditched for a more reliable Sanden and the A/C works as expected. Notice the chrome shift gate, a great touch!

What makes a Pantera, a Pantera is what’s under the boot, a magnificent Ford 351 CI “Cleveland” V8. Going on the assumption that this motor is a U.S. spec emission control engine would place it in the 266 net HP range. There is a long list of engine mods listed, however, that detail what went into this power plant at rebuilding time. I imagine this V8 is quite a bit stronger now than it was when new – it sounds fantastic. It is connected, as usual, to a five-speed ZF transaxle. One issue of concern, and that’s the mileage. The seller mentions that the odometer was “reset” when this Pantera was refurbished and the odometer now shows 4K miles – seems a bit suspicious.

Yes, I really like this car and I don’t like yellow but it doesn’t matter in this case. It’s too rich for my blood but it is one of the nicest examples that I have come across in a long time – Panteras just aren’t seen much anymore but having low production numbers and produced so long ago, that is to be expected. I know the small bumper equipped versions usually trade for more than the large bumper models like this example so it will be interesting to watch the bidding. It’s funny but the one thing that I remember most vividly about my classmate’s Pantera is that when he got out of the car, I was standing right behind it, drinking in the fabulous engine sound and then I spied a roll of toilet paper through the rear glass perched right next to the engine. I thought, who travels with a roll of toilet paper? Seeing this Pantera is helping me to appreciate this car a lot more for what it was, and is now, as opposed to a sophomoric recollection from 48 years ago. I’d love to own it, how about you?

More: DeTomaso / Pantera

Former Forest Service Truck: 1978 Ford Bronco

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

I can’t recall the last time I saw a Bronco wearing Light Jade Poly paint, but there’s a good reason for that: this is a former U.S. Forest Service vehicle, delivered new to the agency with a novel combination of options. The Bronco today retains its original paint and remnants of a headlight flasher, siren and CB antenna mount from its days as a government-owned vehicle. The 351 V8 runs well and the truck retains its stock equipment, consisting of a C6 automatic transmission, factory 3.50 gear ratio and limited slip rear end. Find it here on eBay with bids to over $10K and the reserve unmet.

The body looks super sound, with no obvious signs of rot. This is because the Bronco has lived in Northern California and Nevada all its life, which is pretty much the ultimate combination for living a rust-free existence. The seller notes the wheel wells, cab mounts, floors and all other common Ford truck rust spots are in impeccable condition, and that the underside follows a similar pattern. The hardtop was professional reconditioned by a shop specializing fiberglass restorations.

The interior is a distinct departure from the black or red-carpeted Broncos we’re accustomed to seeing, and I have to wonder if the Forest Service specifically requested this shade for – ah, personal reasons. You know, greenery, plant life, conifers, and all that. Between the green upholstery and fake wood trim, this interior is like a rural log cabin on wheels. I can’t tell what’s going on with the steering wheel, but it looks like a tan vinyl wrap of some kind. Though the Bronco’s back seat was deleted when ordered, a later owner sourced an OEM replacement. The A/C remains hooked up, but needs a belt and a re-charge.

Mileage is listed as being a tick over 67,000. The seller notes several big-ticket recent maintenance items were addressed by the previous owner, including a new radiator, water pump, distributor, carb, ignition module, and general tune-up. It’s said to run well at the moment, with no major issues disclosed. Given how many government or locally-owned municipal vehicles see limited use, I’m sure the mileage indicated here is genuine. My first order of business? Re-install all the period communications equipment, from the sirens to the flashers to the CB radio, with a huge whip antenna on the rear bumper.

26k Genuine Miles: 1987 Buick Grand National

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

As dawn broke on the 1980s, muscle car enthusiasts must have felt that there was little for them to look forward to when it came to performance car prospects. The days of being able to buy a 5-seater off a showroom floor that could produce a sub-15-second ¼ mile pass seemed to be a distant memory. However, automotive engineers were working away behind the scenes to find new ways of unleashing engine performance, and it was cars like the Buick Grand National that provided an indication that engineers were going to have to think outside the box if they were going to produce cars with real performance potential. This was especially true if they were going to achieve this goal in an environment of ever-tightening emission regulations. The best way to describe this cossetted 1987 Grand National would be to say that it is in as-new condition. It has led a sheltered life, and now has a mere 26,255 genuine miles on the odometer. The owner has decided to part with the Buick, which is located in Collierville, Tennessee, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $25,100, but the reserve hasn’t been met.

Finished in Black, the Grand National is a seriously tough looking vehicle. This car has received a repaint at some point thanks to the fact that some charming soul chose to perform some engraving upon the original paint with a key. Otherwise, this is a car that is completely original, and also appears to be completely rust-free. The owner provides an impressive selection of photos in the listing and the underside of the Buick is spotless. The car has been kept in a climate-controlled garage for its entire life, and this has no doubt helped its cause. The panels are arrow-straight, while the external trim, badges, and the tinted glass all look very impressive. One of my favorite features of the Grand National is the chrome 15″ wheels. They just add to the car’s menacing look and prove that you don’t necessarily have to spend a fortune on expensive aftermarket wheels to make a car really stand out.

This is what made the Grand National such a special car. American manufacturers now knew that they no longer needed 8-cylinders and huge engine capacities to unleash some real performance potential. In this case, all we had was a V6 with a capacity of 231ci. However, strap on some fuel-injection, a turbocharger, and an intercooler, and now you had an engine that produced 245hp, and a car that could demolish the ¼ mile in 14.7 seconds. As an added bonus, not only did it meet or exceed all of the emissions regulations of the era, but it could still seat five people in comfort. Of course, it wasn’t just the engine that made this car get up and get moving, it also featured the THM200-4R automatic transmission, along with power steering and power brakes. The owner provides no real information on how well the Buick runs and drives, but there are a few reassuring signs under the hood. Everything is clean and tidy, with no signs of any major leaks or issues. On the other side of the ledger, it is nice to see an engine bay that is this clean and original that hasn’t been liberally coated with detailing spray. This looks clean and tidy, and if appearances count for anything, we could be onto a winner with this car. Of course, the documented low mileage is going to help things out enormously.

The interior of the Buick presents extremely well and has managed to avoid all of the wear and deterioration issues that can plague this model. The most wear-prone areas are the seats, especially the outer edges of the fronts. These look really good, while another prone area is the grey inserts on the seats. This is especially true of the headrests, but these look perfect. The rest of the trim and plastic appears to be flawless, while the custom floor-mats are a great touch. As far as creature comforts are concerned, a Grand National owner was well catered to in a 1987 context. What they got was air conditioning, power windows, power locks, cruise control, a power antenna, and an AM/FM radio/cassette player. That may seem like some pretty basic equipment by today’s standards, but in 1987, that made any owner “king of the kids” when it came to the toys in his car.

The Buick Grand National represented a completely new approach for American auto manufacturers when it came to the question of performance cars. Today, cars sporting turbochargers, intercoolers, and fuel-injection are an everyday occurrence. But in the 1980s, they represented a brave new world of engineering outside the realms of motorsport. The importance of the Grand National is reflected in the model’s value, which has continued to trend upward at a steady rate in recent years. This particular car appears to be a spotless example, and there is no reason why it couldn’t nudge up close to or even a bit over $40,000 in this auction. Would you be interested at that price?

California Dreaming: 1968 Ford Mustang GT/CS

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

With pressure being exerted by the Californian dealer network, Ford relented and decided to release a Mustang model specifically tailored to that market. The result was a car called the GT/CS, or the California Special. It was envisaged that 5,000 Specials would be built, but production ground to a halt after 4,118 cars had rolled off the line. This is one of those cars, and it is said to be a solid survivor. It presents nicely, and while bidding on the Mustang has been reasonable, it probably hasn’t been as strong as I would have expected for a car like this. The Mustang is located in Crown Point, Indiana, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. With bidding now sitting at $17,100, the reserve hasn’t been met.

It’s actually pretty easy to see how the Californian dealers were able to convince Ford to produce something a bit special for them to market. California accounted for around 20% of total Mustang sales across the country, so Ford wanted to stay in the good books with its volume-selling district. Developing the cosmetic parts that provided the CS with such a distinctive appearance fell to Carol Shelby, and many of the additional parts were direct copies of those that appeared on the legendary “Little Red” prototype. These included the side scoops, along with the deck-lid with an integrated spoiler and end caps. It would appear that all of the original features remain present on this Seafoam Green example, including the scoops and deck-lid, along with the fog lights, the hood with the twist locks, and the distinctive tail-light panel and lights. It all appears to be in good condition and the photos that the owner supplies of the underside show a car that is free of any rust problems. The external trim and chrome, along with the wheels and the tinted glass, all look really good.

Lifting the hood of the Mustang reveals what was, by far, the most popular mechanical configuration for a California Special. What we find is a C-Code 289ci V8, backed by a 3-speed C4 automatic transmission. Life is made a bit easier with the inclusion of power steering, along with power front disc brakes. The owner refers to the Mustang as being numbers-matching, but it isn’t 100% original. The engine wears an Edelbrock aluminum intake and a 4-barrel carburetor, along with a new distributor with a “pointless” ignition. It isn’t clear whether the original components are included in the sale, but I’m sure that there are more than a few enthusiasts who are hoping that they are. The owner states that the Mustang is mechanically strong, and the YouTube video at the bottom of this article certainly seems to support this. The engine has a solid note to it, while the vehicle gets up and moving very nicely.

The Mustang’s Black interior is tidy, but it isn’t perfect. The dash and pad look good, while the door trim and the majority of the upholstery on the seats looks excellent. The carpet looks like it might be slightly faded, but it isn’t too bad. The driver’s seat has some minor rips and splits, and I suspect that a new cover might be in order. There is also a small hole in the headliner, but since we don’t get a look at it, it is impossible to say whether this is repairable, or whether a new headliner will need to go onto the shopping list. Otherwise, the interior remains original, and the inclusion of factory air conditioning is a nice bonus.

If we consider this Mustang in isolation as an original and rust-free 1968 survivor, then what we appear to be getting here is a nice car that should have a little way to go in the bidding war before the reserve has been met. Being a GT/CS should add about another 20% or so to the potential value of the vehicle. With that in mind, I would expect that bidding should find its way to around the $30,000 mark, although there is every chance that it could go even higher. With Summer just around the corner, do you fancy your own slice of California dreaming?

More: California Special / Ford / Mustang

SHARETWEET

Genuine SSP Coupe: 1989 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

When we come across the elusive Fox-body Special Service Package (SSP) models, they’re usually the plainest Mustang you can find, with a highly-capable 5.0L V8 under the hood. This example has a few custom touches that eliminate the sleeper qualities of the notchback coupe, with custom badges down the doors and black hood stripes that run the length of the body. However, the good news is you can eliminate those add-ons, get rid of the window tint and pony wheels, and bring this SSP car back to its utilitarian appearance that was highly effective in stopping unsuspecting speeders. Find it here on eBay with bids to over $4K and no reserve.

Just to get it out of the way: this is a tired example. The cosmetics are pretty rough, inside and out, and the cosmetic tweaks are not likely to be to most people’s liking. You can see some sloppy paint work on the driver’s door and plenty of scuffs and dings. The window tint may be a necessity in Nevada, but it’s a little too dark for my tastes, and a vehicle modification most police officers hate – so it’s really out of place on a former police pursuit vehicle. The upside? It’s selling for way less than perfectly preserved SSPs go for, and you can correct many of the car’s apparent ills over the course of a few weekends. Mileage is noted as 158,665 and it comes with four new tires and working A/C.

The interior has its share of issues, including a pair of replacement seats removed from a Mustang GT that aren’t police-spec. Officers didn’t want the thickly bolstered GT seats because they would impede ingress/egress with a heavy holster around their waists. In addition, the carpets are stained and the automatic shifter console trim is chipped in several places. The dash sports several holes from where the police-issue equipment was removed, but the good news there is you can simply source replacements to up the authenticity factor when showing this car off as a genuine SSP example – and cover up the holes in the process. An aftermarket radio has also been installed.

One of the biggest disappointments (to me) is the fact that the seller was able to purchase the SSP with the spot lights and big whip antenna still attached. He also makes reference to another set of lights, and I can’t help but wonder if it had the original lightbar, too. All of that was removed and the trunk was replaced with one that wasn’t drilled for the antenna. This is a serious bummer (but again, easily remedied) because the police-issue equipment is what makes these SSPs so cool. Although he notes the Mustang was painted and the interior refreshed, I see little evidence of it here. The “Cobra” badge on the intake manifold is very fake, and needs to be removed. Overall, this is an opportunity to buy a cheap SSP and improve it dramatically with some cosmetic clean-up.

More: Ford / Mustang

1993 Ford Mustang Cobra with 3,042 Genuine Miles!

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

It would seem that there are plenty of people on this planet who possess far greater levels of self-control than I do. For instance, there is no way that I could own a car like this 1993 Mustang Cobra for all of these years and only manage to allow it to accumulate 3,042 genuine miles. Of course, that lack of use means that the car is in as-new condition, and this helps to explain why the bidding has been so frantic since the Ford was listed for sale here on eBay. The Cobra is located in Leesville, South Carolina, and while there have been a total of 41 bids to this point which has seen the price soar to $46,001, the reserve hasn’t been met.

It’s always going to be hard to find much to be critical of when inspecting a car with so few miles showing on its odometer. The Vibrant Red paint, one of only four colors available on the Cobra, glistens in the sun. Magnifying the photos reveal no marks or scratches anywhere. However, it’s when you look underneath the vehicle that you begin to realize just how good this car actually is. I have included a couple of photos of the Cobra’s underside at the bottom of this article, and as you will no doubt see, even that area of the car is free of any marks or chips. The condition under there makes it hard to believe that the car has actually covered 3,000 miles. I doubt that you will find anything that looks a lot nicer in a car of this age. The alloy wheels appear to be flawless, while the addition of a factory flip-up sunroof would be a nice touch on those warmer days.

As was the case with the exterior, interior trim choices were very limited in the ’93 Cobra. In this case, we find Opal Gray leather, and once again, the presentation is as close to perfect as you are ever likely to find. There isn’t a mark to be seen anywhere, while the factory protective plastic covers remain intact on the front floor-mats. Moving on to luxury equipment, and the owner of this Ford will get their share of nice touches. These include air conditioning, power windows, power locks, a 4-way power driver’s seat, dual power exterior mirrors, a rear defroster, and a premium AM/FM radio/CD player.

With 1993 marking the final year of production for the venerable Fox-body Mustang, it seemed appropriate that a car that had remained in production for a staggering 15-model-years should go out on a high. Over those years of production, the 302ci V8 had received numerous upgrades, and by the time this Cobra rolled off the production line, power outputs had managed to creep back up into some pretty reasonable levels. In this case, the 302 pumps out 230hp, which finds its way to the 3.08 Traction-Lok rear end via a 5-speed manual transmission. This combination, especially in a car weighing in at a relatively light 3,225lbs, provides some quite reasonable levels of performance. For example, the Cobra is capable of accelerating from 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, covering the ¼ mile in 14.5 seconds, but should still wind its way to a top speed of 150mph. The originality of this car is pretty astounding, from the belts to the tires, and from the mufflers to hoses. The owner says that the vehicle starts and runs well and that he rates it as a “100 point” car if it were to be entered in any car show. The engine bay does present well, with only some slight discoloring of the cold-air intake hose to indicate that the Ford has any age to it at all. Included with the Mustang is a significant collection of documentation, including the Owner’s Maniual, Window Sticker, SVT Certificate, and a Marti Report.

There is no doubt that the bidding on this 1993 Mustang Cobra has begun to push up into the upper reaches of the potential value for a vehicle of this age, but its mileage and condition would seem to justify this sort of activity. Values on the Mustang Cobra have been growing at a steady rate over the past 5-years, indicating that these could potentially represent a solid long-term investment. If I was faced with the choice of having this car parked in my garage or sitting and staring at a Stock Certificate, I know which I’d be inclined to choose. How about you?

More: Cobra / Ford / Mustang

SHARETWEETEMAIL

Au

One Owner Survivor! 1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

It is very refreshing to find an original vehicle that has been virtually untouched for fifty years. This 1969 Ford F-250 has 118K original miles and has been pampered by one owner since new! It can be found here on eBay with a current bid of $7,300. The truck has been in California its whole life. In fact, the VIN tag shows it was made in the San Jose plant. Currently located in Moreno Valley, this is a sharp looking ride. Take a look!

As you can see, the interior is clean and original. Even the cardboard head liner doesn’t look like it is warped too bad. The bed of the truck looks just as good as the interior. You can tell this truck wasn’t used for much hard work over the past fifty years.

The ad says the engine and transmission are in “excellent” condition and it runs and drives well also. The seller does mention the carburetor needs rebuilt, but doesn’t say why. You can tell from the VIN tag that the engine is a big block FE 390 cubic inch V8, which is a plus. There is even a build sheet included with the sale. The VIN is F25HRF50084 which decodes to the following: F25 = F-250, 2wd; H = 390 cubic inch V8; R = San Jose plant; F50084 = August 1969.

Overall, this truck looks really nice and would make a new owner very happy. These trucks were made to work and this one hasn’t suffered that fate. Hopefully, it will be enjoyed for years to come. What do you think of this classic survivor?

More: F-250 / Ford

Barn Fresh: 1963 Ford Galaxie 406 4-Speed!

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

Update 3/4/20 – Bidding got up to $17,544 but it wasn’t enough to meet the reserve. The car has been relisted here on eBay with a lower buy it now price and hopefully a lower reserve.
From 2/28/20 – There’s nothing quite like the red clay in Texas. This 1963 Ford Galaxie was pulled out of long-term storage in Forth Worth and as you can see, it’s covered in it. It can be found here on eBay with a current bid of over $11,000. The ad doesn’t say how long it has been stored, but it was just pulled out in the daylight recently. It features a high-performance V8 with a 4-speed transmission and looks like a solid project. Take a look.

The burgundy interior upholstery is a great color. If the dash, steering wheel, and column were the same shade, it would be great. Clearly the carpet needs to be replaced. The ad says the interior is from the late 60s or 70s. You can see the shifter for the 4-speed sticking through the floor, which makes this car all that more fun to drive I’m sure.

I bet this 406 V8 was a show-stopper before the rust and dirt took hold. The chrome valve covers are still a bit shiny under all that grime. You can see the long oval-shaped air cleaner and tell-tale fuel distribution that tells you this is a tri-power set up. According to musclecars.howstuffworks.com, the 406 “Thunderbird” high-performance V8 was only available in the Galaxie. A $380 option starting in 1962 it came standard with a single Holley 4bbl carburetor. A “Super High-Performance” option included three Holley 2bbl’s and was rated at 405 horsepower! The seller says the car has 63,000 original miles and the engine turns over, but they haven’t started it.

Here you can see the car has been cleaned up. The seller says if they don’t sell it from their eBay listing, they will get it running and driving and take it to a swap meet to sell. What do you think? Would you be a buyer now, or would you rather have your project running and driving?
Have something to sell? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Ford Galaxie

V8/4-Speed Fastback: 1965 Ford Mustang

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1965 Ford Mustang is a major undertaking, but given its pedigree, I can understand why the seller felt it was worth saving. This Mustang is a C-Code fastback that left the factory with a four-speed manual transmission and 289 V8. It had great colors – Ivy Green over Palomino – and obviously has lost many of the original details that made it so special. Still, perhaps that’s why the seller saw it fit to be rescued, even though it will need a pricey restoration to make it the car it once was. The Mustang is in Woodstock, Connecticut, and there is plenty of rust to fix. Find it here on eBay with bidding over $5K and the reserve unmet at the moment.

As someone who makes bad decisions to rescue cars from junkyards and other bowels of the automotive universe, I have to wonder if this Mustang came from a similar environment. It has all the hallmarks of a car that was junked, from the missing engine to the long-lost hood, likely tossed aside when the engine was sold off. The interior is better than you’d expect, another phenomenon I’ve encountered when pulling vehicles out of the woods, as closed doors/windows usually leave the cabin intact but still in need of a deep cleansing. To me, the best aspect of this Mustang is the fact that all glass remains intact, which is likely why the interior still looks as good as it does. Smashed glass is typically a junkyard hallmark, so perhaps this car has been languishing in a backyard.

The backseat is way better than I expected, along with the rear panels. To me, this speaks to the Mustang being a car that never saw backseat passengers, and it would likely end up being pretty sharp with a good cleaning. The seller notes that while you’re cleaning the interior, you’ll also want to find some replacement floors and frame rails, as those both have rust and will either need patchwork or completely new panels/sections welded in. This is not a surprise for a car from the snowbelt, and even if it was taken off the road decades ago, that’s still plenty of time for salt and wet weather driving to do its worst. The seller doesn’t provide any details as to whether interior trim is missing or damaged, but if you don’t see it in the pictures, I’d expect it went missing long ago.

In addition to the drivetrain, the seller notes that the Mustang doesn’t come with its radiator, grill, front bumper, or lower front valence. The radiator likely left when the engine did, and I could see the grill and hood being purchased as spares for an accident-damaged Mustang (the same for the front valence, or that could have been damaged when being moved around a yard.) The upper levels of the car also have rust, but nothing that looks like it needs to be dealt with as immediately as the rust in the frame rails. Fortunately, good spares abound, and if a C-Code fastback with a four-speed in Ivy Green is the car you simply must own, this could be a project with your name on it.

21k Original Miles: 1966 Ford Mustang

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Occasionally, a classic car will come along that can make some of us feel less worthy than we otherwise should. This Ford Mustang is just such a car. The original owner purchased the vehicle for his wife as a Valentine’s Day present back in 1966, while I have tended to stick with the “tried-and-true” flowers and chocolate offerings. If my wife finds out about this one, then I’m in a world of trouble! The Mustang has been garage-kept for its entire life and is a fairly tidy survivor. The next owner might choose to undertake a light cosmetic refresh on the car, or they could easily choose to leave it untouched, allowing it to wear its “original survivor” badge with pride. If you would like to secure an early (or late) gift for your Valentine, then you will find the Mustang located in Atchison, Kansas, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $8,300, but the reserve on this classic hasn’t been met.

The owner claims that the Wimbledon White Mustang is completely rust-free, and its cause has undoubtedly been aided by the fact that it has been garage-kept for its entire life. The only note of caution that I will sound here is the fact that the spare tire looks like it is a snow tire. I would be interested to know why this is so, and whether the Mustang has potentially been exposed to extreme weather or salt. The paint wears a few marks and scratches, but none of these appear to be severe. The panels themselves are straight, with no sign of any significant dings or dents. The owner describes the paint as being 75% original, which suggests that it has received some touch-up work at some point in the last 54-years. All of the external chrome and trim pieces are present, and as is the case with the glass, it all appears to be in good condition. The most obvious non-original item on the Mustang’s outside is the antenna. Still, that has to rate as one of the easiest items to replace, so it isn’t an issue.

Looking around inside a classic like this Mustang and finding it to be so original and unmolested is a real treat. In many cases, aftermarket stereo systems have found their way into cars like this, but the Mustang’s original radio is still in situ. The Black upholstery and trim are in impressive condition, while the dash appears to be faultless. The carpet could be a little bit faded, but this could potentially be a trick of the light. Apart from the radio, the Mustang scores with air conditioning and a remote trunk release.

There will be a few enthusiasts who will gaze into the engine bay of the Mustang and be disappointed to find that it doesn’t house a V8. Don’t be too hasty on that, because it would appear that this is a numbers-matching car. It features a 200ci 6-cylinder engine, along with a 3-speed automatic transmission. It was mechanical combinations like this that made the Mustang an affordable car that was within reach of the average wage-earner. Besides, if I was the original owner’s wife, I would still be pretty pleased to receive a Mustang as a gift, regardless of what drivetrain it featured. The owner says that it runs and drives really well, and while the presentation of the engine bay is generally neat and tidy, I suspect that the engine and some of its ancillaries may have received a repaint at some point. The owner does claim that the vehicle has covered a genuine 21,248 miles, but doesn’t indicate whether he holds any evidence to verify this.

This 1966 Mustang has a few fairly significant attributes in its favor, and these would need to be considered when trying to determine its ultimate value. The first of these is its originality, because so often owners can make changes to these cars that might seem like a good idea at the time, but can negatively impact long-term values. The second is that it is a rust-free car, which is a major plus in a 1st Generation Mustang of any description. Finally, if the claimed mileage can be verified, then that makes it a fairly significant car from that standpoint. Six-cylinder Mustangs are becoming a more recognized variant when it comes to collectability, and while values have been increasing in recent times, they still aren’t a big-ticket item. On face value, an original Mustang in similar condition to this one should potentially sell for somewhere between $12,000 and $15,000. However, if that mileage claim can be verified, then it could go a bit higher than that.

One-Owner Notchback: 1990 Ford Mustang LX 5.0

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This pretty 1990 Ford Mustang LX notchback is the ideal combination of 5.0L V8 power with the sleepy looks of the LX trim. Said to be a one-owner, elderly-owned example up until recently, the Mustang looks incredibly honest for a Fox Body, with zero signs of modification or abuse. The seller notes the Mustang wears 100 percent original paint, and that it’s been garaged since new. Obviously, with this kind of TLC, you wouldn’t expect to see any rust, but the car’s life-long Nevada residency all but guarantees you won’t find a spec on it. The Mustang is listed here on eBay where bidding is now over $10K with no reserve.

The seller notes that the owner is his father, so fortunately, this isn’t the case of some unscrupulous flipper snagging the survivor Mustang from the elderly owners. The Mustang shows none of the tell-tale signs of modification, with even the stock dual exhaust remaining in place. Those body-color mudflaps are a classic styling tweak from the 80s, and though wildly out of style now, I wouldn’t change ’em for anything. The polished 10-hole are a classic Fox Body look, and definitely add to the sleeper factor given the four-cylinder Mustangs came with them as well. Given this Mustang lived in Nevada, it’s obvious it’s been garaged since there’s zero paint fade or any obvious damage to the rear parcel shelf.

The same goes for the interior, where there’s no signs of heavy sun damage to the dash or the seats. While the automatic transmission may be a downer to some folks, it also speaks to the careful, elderly ownership that likely just used the Mustang for errands or church runs. Really, there’s nothing to fault in the cabin, and these Fox Bodies can look pretty tawdry when not cared for. Even the door map pockets look to be intact, which almost never happens. Mileage isn’t low, either, so you can’t attribute the clean condition to lack of use. With almost 160,000 miles on the clock, the Mustang has been used – but it’s also been loved.

The engine bay continues the theme of spotless condition. No cold air intakes here! The seller maintains the Mustang remains in incredibly original condition with no dings, scratches, or any major tweaks from new, and I see nothing in the photos that would cause me to dispute this. The original window sticker also comes with the Mustang, and all of these details combine to make it obvious as to why bidding is so active. I expect we’ll see this one climb closer to $15K before the auction ends, and hopefully the next owner will continue to keep this Fox Body in showroom condition. If it were a 5-speed, I might even be a bidder.

H is for Hertz: 1966 Shelby GT350-H

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

In late 1965 Shelby American and Hertz agreed to a deal that would be mutually beneficial. Shelby would create 1,000 Shelby Mustang GT350-Hs which would all be provided to Hertz for their “Rent-a-Racer” program. Yep, you could go to your local Hertz rental car agency and take the keys to a real-deal Shelby GT350 for $17 a day plus $0.17 per mile! The brochure from 1966 said, “These cars are available to business travelers who want a change of pace in motoring, by sports car owners away from home and by vacations who consider driving an enjoyable sport.” This particular car is Shelby SFM-6S1621 and can be found here on eBay with an asking price of $175,000. It was recently pulled from long-term storage and is being sold by the Stephen Becker Automotive Group in Georgia. Let’s take a closer look at this classic car and if you want to learn more about the Hertz Rent-a-Racer program, check out their website here on hertz.com.

Here you can see the Shelby serial number tag listing it as SFM-6S1621. Originally sent to Metke Ford in Bellevue, Washington for rental preparation, it was then transferred to Hertz Seattle for rent. These cars have extensive documentation, not only with the Shelby Registry but with Hertz as well. A prospective buyer should do their due diligence and ensure this car is represented accurately since there is certainly a financial incentive for people to fabricate provenance.

There’s a bit of an urban legend surrounding these cars, specifically the engines. Apparently several of these cars were rented then returned with a different powerplant installed. I don’t know if this was a rampant problem, but according to the ad, this specific engine is the original numbers-matching 289 high-performance V8. It features a Holley carburetor, special intake, and headers with dual exhaust. This particular car has an automatic transmission, which was probably a wise choice for a rental car.

The interior is the original black. Standard features include the dash-mounted tachometer, wood-rimmed steering wheel, and fold-down rear seats.

The paint is raven black with the Hertz gold racing stripe and trim. The car was apparently pulled from long-term storage. There is a huge list of maintenance items and parts that have been completed in the ad. The seller says the work was done in October 2019. Overall, it looks like a great car that will serve the new owner well for years. What do you think?

More: Mustang / Shelby

Beautiful Condition: 1979 Ford Bronco Custom

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

Second generation Broncos were only made for two years and were basically a full-size pickup from the B-pillar forward. They featured solid axles and were only available in four-wheel-drive, unlike their main competition, the Chevy Blazer. This particular Bronco is from 1979 and is in amazing condition. It can be found here on eBay with a current bid of $25,100. Currently located in Hobart, Indiana, the VIN tag indicates it was produced in Michigan, so it may have spent most of its life in the upper mid-west. Have a look at this special ride.

Although the seller is a Ford dealer, they have apparently owned this Bronco since 2008. It shows less than 50K original miles and is in one of the nicest original Broncos you will see. Here you can see the front seatback is split so passengers can climb in the back. The front seat, door panels, floors, and rear seat are in amazing condition. The seller added a Ford factory sport steering wheel, but other than that, it’s pretty much how it left the factory over forty years ago.

The engine is a 351 cubic inch V8, which is a solid performer. You can see the truck features power brakes and steering, which helps with wrangling the big SUV. The seller says the engine is all original and runs great, but they purchased all the tune-up parts from Motorcraft ( plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc.) which are included in the sale.

After the current owner purchased it in 2008, it was given a complete factory-style paint job. The seller claims the body was completely rust-free and only needed a re-paint due to the typical dents and dings of an older vehicle. As you can see, the Bronco wears larger wheels and tires than it would have had from the factory. This generation of Bronco has enough clearance to run 33″ tires without any suspension modifications. Overall, this looks like a great truck that anyone would be proud to own. What do you think of this one?

More: Ford Bronco

Gold Edition: 1984 Ford F-150 XLT

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

Most of us have heard the phrase, “That’s gold!” The Jerry Seinfeld Show even made it somewhat of a national catchphrase. The word gold has a few different meanings and this truck is gold, even though it’s black and silver over red. This nugget can be found here on eBay in beautiful Roland, Arkansas. The current bid price is $7,600 and there are only a few hours left on the auction!

For those of you who are under 40, Jerry Seinfeld is a comedian who had what was considered by many to be the best show ever on TV, or at least in the last few decades. You may have run across his other show about “some old man” driving around in unusual vehicles with other old people, and they’d drive to a coffee shop, that’s Jerry. This Ford pickup isn’t literally gold in color, but it’s a rare Gold Edition. One of you will know for sure, but I believe that the Gold package was not a factory trim but the “Gold” emblems and/or package/edition was a dealer option?

Gold badges or not, this truck looks fantastic. A short bed pickup sometimes garners a few comments about the actual usability of the hauling feature of what was a vehicle made to actually haul things. For most of us, a full-sized short bed pickup has more than enough hauling space for 95% of anything we would ever need to haul. This truck isn’t perfect, there are a couple of little dings and some rock chips on the leading edge of the hood. But, as far as rust goes, it looks like solid gold, even underneath.

A red interior is as good as it gets for me, even better than gold. This one does not disappoint. From the perfect padded dash top to the seat, it looks almost like new inside, but they do mention a few cigarette burns. I don’t see them but maybe someone will be able to track them down from the photos. This beautiful truck reportedly has under 36,000 miles on it.

The whistle-clean engine is Ford’s 302 cubic-inch V8 which would have had well under 150 hp, but the seller says that it runs good and they would drive it anywhere. It sure looks like solid gold to me. Have any of you heard of a “Gold” edition Ford F-150?

More: Ford F-150 / Special Edition

SHARETWEET

Back