Barn Finds

30,000 Original Miles: 1969 Porsche 911T

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

While we traditionally stay away from restored cars, this 30,000 mile 1969 Porsche 911T is such a pleasingly correct example that we had to share it. The car is described as already being an impressive survivor before it had its cosmetics gone through, with the seller confident that it resided in the hands of a loving owner for many years before they took possession and began refreshing it inside and out. The 911T now sports a fresh paint job in its original color of Polo Red and comes with its original 2.0L flat-six engine that benefits from a recent valve adjustment and tune up. Find the 911T here on eBay with bids to over $44,000 and no reserve.

The 911T comes with a gorgeous black interior and a number of options. These include an antenna and Blaupunkt radio and the seller notes all interior equipment functions as it should. The listing describes an interior restoration process that went over “every detail” of the cabin, but one would assume that such a loved, original car didn’t need much work in the first place. The seating surfaces actually do look original, with some bagginess in the driver’s seat area that I would typically associate with normal wear and tear. The seller notes all necessary body seals were replaced, as well as the front and rear windshield moldings, and that the turn signal / flasher relay was replaced.

The body looks absolutely perfect and the stance is spot-on. The 911 left the factory with the front and rear bumperettes you see in the picture, which is a great look when they’re as subtle as these are. I love the polished hubcaps over steel wheels, and the single-exit exhaust – this is what a classic, air-cooled 911 should look like. The seller notes that exterior factory options included the bumperettes, tinted glass, and ventilated 15” chrome wheels which will come wrapped in new Vredestein tires (among the pricier, vintage-“style” tires you can buy.) I know it’s tacky, but I’d love to add a period roof rack to this car just so it has some additional period style courtesy of the OEM accessories catalog.

The engine bay looks super clean and it’s great to see the factory stickers weren’t lost in the repaint. It’s hard to tell for sure, but the paint under the engine lid looks slightly different from the exterior surfaces, which may indicate the under-panel surfaces were left alone, or it’s just a trick of the lighting. Recent maintenance includes a new distributor, bell crank bushings, fuel filter, and shift coupler; body-wise, the seller also notes new decklid shocks and hood shocks. While it may be restored, it’s certainly not over-restored, and the 911 looks like an excellent candidate for simply driving and enjoying. While we do like to find them a fair bit dustier than this, there’s nothing wrong with a survivor that’s been cautiously refreshed – and bidders seem to agree.
Have something similar for sale? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Porsche

No Reserve Five-Star Cab! 1951 Ford F3

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This seller of vintage trucks on eBay seemingly hits home run after home run, finding survivor-grade examples of classic American pickups. This time, it’s an original paint, matching numbers 1951 Ford F3 with the Five-Star cab offered at no reserve, with minimal rust and loads of patina. The truck presents incredibly well for an unrestored example, with straight body panels on both sides, four matching hubcaps, and a spare tire still mounted on the bed. The seller notes some rust in the fenders but also points out that the truck has no bondo and evidence of bodywork to deal with, along with rust-free cab corners, making it a great basis for restoration or continued preservation. Find it here on eBay with bids to just over $2,600 at the moment.

When you consider that the original purchasers of a truck like the F3 had little intention of saving them as future collectibles, the fact that this one remains so solid is truly impressive. The seller is in Montana, so he has a strategic advantage for finding these wonderfully-aged trucks that haven’t been subjected to the kinds of climates that leave them with holes in the bed and cab corners. Though the paint is severely weathered, just knowing you’re looking at original remnants is a treat, and there’s honestly enough paint coverage to be completely content using it as-is. In fact, I hope no one ever paints this truck, and I’m not even sure how I feel about the practice of applying clearcoat on top. It’s an old F3; it shouldn’t be shiny!

The glass is amazingly clear for a truck that’s been used, and fortunately, it doesn’t reveal any cracks. The interior is very original, and looks pleasingly weathered. The Five-Star cab was new for 1951 and features a wider rear window and a redesigned dash panel. Trucks like this – that have managed to survive without major alterations to the cabin, made in the names of function or comfort or both – should never be changed. No modern head units, no fresh paint on the dash, no Bluetooth nonsense – as long as the glass is intact and the weather stays old (OK, the heat should work, too) – there’s nothing left to sort out inside this F3. The seller does anticipate the next owner wanting to recover the seat.

The seller notes the original flathead V8 still turns freely, so hopefully it won’t take much work to get it running sweetly once again. Check out that paint on the firewall – can you imagine that buffed out? No other major mechanical details are offered, other than the tires being able to hold air long enough to be rolled onto a transport rig. No word on whether the brakes still hold well enough for it to stop on its own, but that’s not a deal-breaker by any means. A survivor-grade truck like this with original paint and matching numbers – listed at no reserve – is a fair deal for all parties any day of the week. Hopefully, the next owner doesn’t over-do the restoration of this sweet F3 and preserves the original features that have clearly withstood the test of time.

More: Ford

Ready To Drive! 1953 Ford F-250 Pickup

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Old pickups are always a popular classic simply because they offer potential owners so many different options. That is certainly the case with this 1953 Ford F-250. The most important thing about this one is that it is so solid. It could easily be driven and enjoyed as it currently stands, although there are other possibilities that are worth consideration. The F-250 is located in Correctionville, Iowa, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on this old beauty has reached a mere $3,000, and I’m not at all surprised that the reserve hasn’t been met.

As I said, this old Ford is one solid pickup. The owner provides a number of photos of the vehicle’s underside, and while there is certainly plenty of surface corrosion present, there is no actual rust. The commonly affected areas such as the floors and the cab corners look solid, as do the fenders. Another surprise is just how straight the vehicle is. It’s pretty normal for these old things to wear their share of dings and dents, but this one is free of any significant damage. The Seafoam Green paint has worn through in a lot of places, but this is where those options for the next owner begin to develop. Undertaking a full restoration would seem to be a fairly straightforward task, and the reward at the end should be a really eye-catching vehicle. Leaving it essentially as it is and applying a coat of satin clear would preserve that “weathered” look quite nicely. Of course, it could also serve as a solid base for a rat rod or custom project. Decisions, decisions.

The originality of the F-250 continues when we take a peek under the hood. What we find is the 101hp version of Ford’s 215ci 6-cylinder engine, which is backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. Before the current owner took possession of the pickup, it had spent a number of years stored away in a barn. He dragged it out and went to work bringing it back to life. To this end, he proceeded to replace the fuel tank and sender unit, and then proceeded to replace the plugs, plug wires, points, condenser, the belts, the thermostat, the brake lines, master cylinder, and rebuilt the water pump. The Ford kicked back into life, and it now runs, drives steers, and stops the way that it should. He also replaced the ignition switch, door latches, along with the tailgate hinges and latch. It would appear that the vehicle is now well and truly roadworthy, and ready for the new owner to enjoy immediately.

The interior of the F-250 is also a pleasant surprise. It is complete and serviceable as it currently stands. The owner has fitted a new rubber mat and a new cover on the original seat, and it now oozes character. Once again, where the interior goes from here will be a choice for the new owner to make. For me, I’d probably leave it pretty much as it is, at least in the short-term. The interior even looks like it scores a heater, and given how new the hoses look, there’s a good chance that this is functional. If the next owner lives in a colder climate, then that really has to be good news.

Classic pickups are insidious beasts because even for those who aren’t initially attracted to them, they have the ability to get under your skin and become a really desirable classic. That has been the case for me because it wasn’t that many years ago that my attitude was that I could take them or leave them. Now, I really like them, but ones like this would leave me torn as to what path I would follow if I owned it. What about you?

More: F-250 / Ford / Pickup

Weird but useful.

It’s A CamperCar! 2008 Ford Crown Victoria P71

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

OK, so we get a lot of heat down here in Florida (no pun intended) for some of the strange goings-on that occur, like planet-sized sink-holes, gargantuan alligators with an attitude, election shenanigans and all other kinds of weirdness. Granted some are deserved and some are imported from out of state by visitors and snow-birds. But then there are homegrown irregularities and it just makes me shake my head and smile. Take this example, a 2008 Ford Crown Victoria P71 Police Interceptor cruiser with a mini RV grafted on to its hind-side (I ain’t lyin’). It is located in Lehigh Acres, Florida and available here on craigslist for $3,200. Thanks to Tony P. for this very creative tip!

Until recently, P71 Crown Vic’s were available all over the place. For many years, it was the go-to police car for local, county and highway patrol departments all over the country. In 2011, Ford discontinued production so the used ranks of P71’s have been thinning for some time. I looked at a fleet that was for sale in Raleigh, North Carolina back in 2008 and the majority of the units had just under 100K miles and the sale price was in the $4,000 range. While not particularly sophisticated, the Crown Victoria of this generation is a very tough and reliable car. The majority that I see anymore are usually in pretty forlorn-looking condition and lurking around like they’re up to no good.

There’s a lot of things that you can do with a basic Ford Crown Victoria. I have seen them in demolition derbies, modified into low-riders and converted into convertibles in about fifteen minutes courtesy of a Sawzall. Incorporating a sleeping berth onto the backside of one has escaped my attention, however. The very imaginative seller states that this is a sturdy, overbuilt affair and was designed to fit inside a standard garage. It endured a Florida to Montana and return run last year with no issues and it will go again this year if a sale does not occur. The exterior of the residence is covered in fiberglass with a reflective roof sealant. Outback is a thick plexiglass window and the topside is finished off with a moon-roof. In the planning stages – solar panels. Someone who is near and dear to me is fond of saying, “You can sleep in your car but you can’t drive your house!” well there goes that theory…..

Inside looks, well, ah, cozy? The front passenger seat has been removed to provide all of this interior largesse but the seat is included as is the auxiliary A/C unit and the mattress (I’d pass on that!). The seller further suggests, “Excellent for a one-person road trip or put the passenger seat back in (and a wider mattress) for two.” Well, there’s a thought, some modularity and flexibility too.

There is no image of the power source for this mini-house on wheels but research will tell you that it is a 250 net HP, 4.6 liter, single overhead cam V8 engine. The seller claims that it runs great at 153K miles and has a cold, operational A/C unit (that’s the first thing a Floridian looks for or asks about in any car). This Crown Victoria comes with good tires and new brakes – what more do you need right?

Other than some detailing, a little flaking paint and a cracked corner in the windshield this mini-camper is in pretty sound shape and needs nothing more (well a refrigerator, bathroom and wide-screen TV would be nice too but that’s not going to happen). The creator of this Motel 6 on wheels gets very high marks for creativity, I’d have never thought of it. If you travel singularly a lot, this Crown RVtoria could save you a lot at $89 a pop per night for a hotel stay in a well-known chain – you can just pitch your IHG Rewards card and hit the open road.

My first car purchased in 1979, when I was 17, a 1975 2 door Plymouth Valiant Scamp with a Slant 6 was never this nice. Mine was green.

Biggest Engine you could have ordered one new with in 75 was a 360 4 Barell.

BF AUCTION: 1972 Plymouth Valiant Scamp

Josh Mortensen
Josh Mortensen
High Bid: $3,600 | 5 days leftBid Now

We are helping Reader Ernie M liquidate a small collection of classic cars, if you missed the Mercedes 420SEL you can check it out here, and the next one up for auction is this 1972 Plymouth Valiant Scamp. It was found in a barn about 4 years ago and was freshened back up. It is now in nice shape inside and out. We see lots of this Scamp’s siblings, the Dodge Dart and the Duster Swinger, but you don’t see these Valiants quite as often. You can find this little Scamp in Milford, Connecticut and you can bid on it below. So, if you’ve been on the hunt for a ready to drive V8 powered Mopar, be sure to give this one a closer look and cast your high bid!

The Sunfire Yellow paint looks great and isn’t a color you typically see. It’s a respray, but in the original color and Ernie states that there weren’t any rust or problem areas, it just needed a fresh coat of paint to look it’s best again. If you know your Mopars, you probably can easily recognize the difference between the various A-Body cars, but for the rest of us, the differences may seem subtle. The Scamp shared the Dart Swinger’s main structure and rear body panels but received the Valiant’s front end. While it doesn’t drastically change the car’s profile, it does change the look enough to make it stand out from the Dart. The lack of massive hood scoops definitely gives it a more subtle and grown-up appearance.

As with its Dart sibling, you had a few engine options in the Scamp, ranging from a thrifty slant six up to a V8. This car happens to be equipped with the 318 V8 and was rated at 150 horsepower. To give this one a little more oomph, a set of headers and a complete exhaust system has been installed. It was also dressed up a bit with some chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Returning those back to original would be a simple enough task, if you’d prefer a more original look that is. Things look fairly tidy under the hood, but some detailing would really make it pop!

The interior really looks to be amazing shape, with nice upholstery, a crack-free dash, and nice carpets. While the exterior needed freshening up, the inside really didn’t need much. Other than new carpets, it just needed to be cleaned to look this great again. Since the carpets are new, I’d recommend finding a set Scamp branded floor mats to keep the carpets nice, although the mats that are currently in it should do the job just fine. It just would look really great with a set of mats like these ones!

While Barracudas, Challengers, and Darts seem to get all the attention these days, I really like the looks of this Scamp. The 318 won’t be setting any records, but it has enough power to make this a fun machine to drive! Between the color, condition, and styling, this Plymouth is sure to garner lots of attention anywhere it goes and you aren’t likely to run into another Sunfire Yellow Scamp anytime soon. If you have any questions about it, please leave them in the comments below and we will make sure you get an answer. So, if you’ve been looking for a fun turn-key classic, be sure to bid!
Do you have a Classic Car that you’d like to auction off? Get more information on listing it here!
  • Mileage: 38,400 Shown, True Mileage Unknown
  • Title Status: Clean

BF Classified: 1981 Ford Bronco Stored Over 20 Years

jamie
jamie

Sometimes you don’t have to look very hard to find a great survivor — they are right here in our own Barn Finds Classifieds! This 1981 Ford Bronco was stored at one point for over 20 years, has only 42,118 miles and is now listed for sale here in the BF Classifieds. The asking price is $29,995 and you’ll need to figure out a way to get it home from Tyler, Texas.

This Bronco would be at home at any Radwood outing and is truly a product of its times. 39,853 1981 Broncos were produced and I’m sure there are very few of them around that look as nice as this one. This is the last generation of full-size Bronco (at least until later this year) as Ford would introduce the much smaller Bronco II shortly. I really like the Tu-Tone Victoria treatment on this truck and the paint really looks outstanding. We don’t know if it’s the original paint or not but I see no signs of a repaint in the close-up pictures.

The seller says that this is the XLT version of the Bronco, which was the top of the line for 1981 and featured some luxury items such as a brushed aluminum tailgate applique — which for some reason this truck doesn’t have — and body side moldings and chrome bumpers (which it does have). Those forged aluminum wheels are factory fitment as well.

There’s not much to say about the seating area apart from that it’s about as nice as one can get.

Except for back here. What happened? I’m guessing something was placed here during the long storage period (a battery or two, perhaps?) and it damaged the carpet. What a shame!

The engine was rebuilt in 2015 after the storage period and it appears it was at least mildly modified with an aftermarket air cleaner and headers. I’m guessing those aren’t the factory valve covers either, but they look nice. Overall, this looks to be a great example of a period SUV. What do you think?

SHARETWEET

8,300 Miles! 1977 Mercury Cougar XR-7

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

Wow, what a time capsule! This 1977 Mercury Cougar XR-7 has a mere 8,300 miles on it and it appears to be in almost like-new condition. It can be found here on craigslist in Phoenix, Arizona. Yes, the AC is ice-cold and the seller is asking $15,500. Thanks to Ikey H. for sending in this tip!

Low-mile cars in unbelievable condition like this Cougar XR-7 are still out there. Just to get the seller’s asking price out of the way, because I know a lot of you audibly gasped when you read that they’re asking $15,500. I know, you had one that you sold for $2,500 and your cousin’s next-door neighbor’s uncle had a nice one that they bought for $4,500 in the mid-80s. Unfortunately, this isn’t the mid-80s anymore. It’ll take a very dedicated buyer to throw down 150 $100 bills for this car, but it could happen. Recent sales point to around $10,000 for a #1 condition car.

Back to this Cougar XR-7. In the late-70s, my best friend in high school had a new Ford LTD II, or his parents did, he was still in high school like I was. At the time, it seemed like a really nice car and it’s related to this Cougar XR-7. A Cougar would be a step up as most Mercurys were over their Ford cousins. This is a fourth-generation Cougar and the XR-7 trim level would have been more related to the Ford Thunderbird than it would have been to the LTD II.

The seller has given more detail photos than overall photos which I don’t think really show off the car as it should, but what do I know about photography… cough… They have included a lot of detail photos which is great, but I always like to see wide, overall photos. The interior looks great as you would guess on an 8,300-mile car. The seats both front and rear look absolutely like new.

The engine should be Ford’s 351 cubic-inch V8 Windsor which would have had around 150 hp. There was also a 351 V8 for the California market with 161 hp. This car has new belts, hoses, and fluids and also new tires. Any thoughts on this time capsule XR-7?

More: Mercury Cougar XR7

Black Beauty! 1976 Jensen Interceptor III

jamie
jamie

I’ve looked at purchasing many Jensen Interceptors over the years I’ve been a British car enthusiast but there’s always been something to stop me. Usually rust, and lots of it! Broken rear windows and destroyed interiors have also played a role, but I have been surprised at how many ways and to what extent the beautiful Jensen coupes (yes, I said beautiful, it’s in the eyes of the beholder you know) rust! This car seems to be the answer to all those problems with gleaming black bodywork and only 57,003 miles! It’s listed for sale here on eBay and surprisingly was listed without a reserve. Bidding is up to $17,991 at this point which seems inexpensive for this Anglo-American hybrid.

Only 171 Jensen Interceptor IIIs were built in 1976, making this one rare car. While Jensen always seemed to be imitating Aston-Martin, in reality they combined Italian-designed coachwork with a proven American drivetrain as an alternative. Certainly even more exclusive, but a bit hairy and “out there”, perhaps?

One of the polarizing features of the Interceptor design is the huge rear window. You either love it or hate it. Usually, there’s rust around the bottom of the giant rear hatch, but I don’t see any on this car. And I have no idea if the exhaust tips are original, but they are certainly different — like the rest of the car.

Okay, where’s the rust. I’m used to rust. And I mean real rust, not this wimpy surface stuff. I mean real iron oxide hole-producing weak-knee-inducing rust. I don’t see any. Something’s wrong with this picture. I don’t see anything serious in the other chassis picture, either. Overspray, yes, but where the heck are the holes? One thing I should mention at this point is that the shiny rocker panels on an Interceptor can hide all kinds of issues even when the rest of the car looks good, so an in-person inspection is highly recommended.

I’m sure this interior has been redone. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Interceptor without cracked leather or a torn-up console and dash. Heck, I don’t even see any appreciable dirt! By the way, that original Motorola 8-track in the dash actually works!

Doggone it, other than the air cleaner being repainted an incorrect color (I think) I don’t see anything to fault under here, either apart from a pre-heater hose missing! Even the air conditioning works (!) Okay, I give up — what’s wrong with this car? If it’s as good as it looks, are you going to buy it? Tell us about your Jensen experiences in the comments!

LS3 Swap: 1995 Lamborghini Diablo

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Have you ever thought a Lamborghini could make for a fine commuter car, but worried about the running costs of an Italian-built V12? Me too. Well, a seller in (where else?) Las Vegas has capitalized on the fiery remains of a scorched Lamborghini Diablo to swap in a rather conventional LS3 powerplant to make daily commuting in an Italian supercar a reality for mere mortals. Of course, us mere mortals likely still can’t justify the $105,000 asking price for the swapped Diablo, as listed here on craigslist. Still, it’s fun to dream. Thanks to Barn Finds reader Pat L. for the find.

The seller notes he was driving a “conventional” V12-powered Diablo but didn’t enjoy wondering when the exotic drivetrain was going to cost him untolds sums to repair. So he sold that and bought a Diablo (this car) that suffered from an engine fire, a not completely unheard of phenomenon with mid-engined Italian cars. He proceeded to orchestrate an LS3 swap mated to a Porsche 911 G50 gearbox, and notes that the replacement engine makes more power and weighs less than the original V12, not to mention is a hell of a lot cheaper to maintain with parts that can be found at your local Napa store.

The wheels were upgraded to Lamborghini Murcielago Hercules rollers and the interior cleaned up with black leather and alcantara with orange stitching. The interior really is a high-brow affair and doesn’t feel cheap or overlooked compared to the rest of the car, which is not always the case with conversions like this. The seller does make that point, however, that the work was done to a high level and the title is still clear – the fire-damaged car was never listed as salvage, apparently, and the work undertaken by the seller didn’t render it to kit car status or some other unflattering designation.

The LS3 looks right at home inside the massive Diablo engine bay, and some of the space of the cavernous compartment is offset by what looks like custom paneling. The seller notes the car returns over 20 MPGs when running at maximum efficiency, and that he added some creature comforts in addition to the easier-to-live-with engine: cup holders and heated seats, two features that weren’t exactly a priority for Lamborghini at the time. While the provenance will always be a questionable at best, having a Diablo that you can drive confidently every day seems way better than dusting an original in your garage.

More: Lamborghini

Black Plate Series 1: 1967 Jaguar E-Type

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1967 Jaguary E-Type is a well-preserved example that the seller contends checks all of the key boxes for desirability among E-Type fanatics. There’s little reason to doubt this claim, as this is the later Series 1 model with the more powerful 4.2L inline-six and fully-synchronized four-speed manual gearbox. Of course, being a Series 1 car, it still has the headlight covers, ornate dashboard switchgear, and tidier proportions overall thanks to its slim bumpers and overriders. The seller notes this is a healthy car that benefits from a recent top-end rebuild and has been in the hands of two owners for the bulk of its life. Find the E-Type here on eBay where bidding has reached $70K with the reserve unmet, and the option to Buy-It-Now for $85,000.

Still wearing its California black plates and pretty primrose yellow paint, the E-Type has clearly been loved. The seller doesn’t indicate whether the paint is original, and notes it’s not perfect but still presents well. The lenses, glass, and chrome features all present very well, and the E-Type overall has the appearance of a car with some very minor rough edges but nothing you’d necessarily want to change. To me, this is a smart buy, as it will likely always appreciate, even if you do nothing but maintain it and add some annual mileage to the car. The E-Type benefits from new tires, and the seller notes its runs, drives, and idles well from a cold start.

The interior is exactly what you want to see in a survivor E-Type, with no evidence of split seams or torn upholstery. The original details are all here, from the gigantic wood-rimmed steering wheel to the jetfighter-like toggle switches in the dash. The door panels show no obvious flaws, and the seller notes that these later Series 1 cars benefit from the preferred fully-synchroniszd ‘box. Recent maintenance to the transmission includes a new clutch, and the seller also mentions that the differential has been rebuilt. The interior has been refreshed with new seat covers and center console with upgraded piping that matches the car’s exterior.

As mentioned, the top end of the engine was rebuilt not too long ago, and the engine bay itself was painted black at the same time. The cooling system was also upgraded, though details are not offered – I’d assume a more robust radiator and new water pump / thermostat were on the menu. The later Series 1s also featured the preferred triple SU carburetor system, offering drivers the thrilling performance you’d expect out of a car this beautiful. The E-Type is a classic that will never go out of style, but shrewd buyers know that investing in the right model years makes all the difference in driving experience and future values. The one to buy!

More: Jaguar

SHARETWEET

19,607 Original Miles! 1986 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1986 Ford Mustang GT convertible has under 20,000 original miles from new and is described as being near-completely stock. In fact, the only real deviation – if you can even call it that – is some touch-up paint applied on a fender to fill in an errant scratch. The seller claims that they have taken an “open checkbook” approach to maintaining the Mustang as part of their collection, and it is now listed by the selling dealer here on eBay with bidding up to $15K and no reserve. The Mustang is presented by Redline Restorations in Connecticut.

These early Fox Bodies with their memorable “four eyed” headlights are seemingly harder to find in preserved condition than the later editions, and it doesn’t seem to be due to wanton abuse – rather, they just seemed to quietly go away. I still see the occasional early 90s hatchback in GT trim, usually with the bodykit hanging off and cheap-looking chrome Pony wheels. The earlier Mustangs just don’t exist in the same quantities, and perhaps that’s a good thing, as it makes them seem far more special by comparison. This GT shows none of the typical modifications, even retaining its stock dual exhaust system.

The GT’s interior presents as-new, which is what you’d expect for such low mileage. The factory buckets with rid piping and thick side bolsters look to be in excellent condition, and the carpets show no soiling. The stock steering wheel and shifter remain in place, and the dashboard shows no cracks. All of this is a good indication that even for the few miles it’s been driven, the top hasn’t been left down. After buying my first convertible in years last summer, I’ve been reminded of how much damage can occur just by virtue of the soft-top left in a perpetually “down” position.

The stock 5.0L V8 isn’t described in particularly great detail, but one would assume a restoration shop that has worked this hard to preserve the car would also undertake any necessary maintenance. The 5.0L cars were prone to cheap modifications but there’s no evidence of that here. And really, whoever owns this low-mileage specimen would be well-advised not to change a thing, as this Mustang’s value is almost entirely wrapped up in its time-warp condition, even with the rarity of the four-eyed models factored in. Many enthusiasts prefer the later cars, but not me – I’ll take the old-school Fox Body any day of the week.

More: Ford / Mustang

European Inspired Pony-Car: 1974 Capri

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

I have never owned a Capri, or a Ford Capri or a Mercury Capri but I know three individuals who have. One was a ’71 and the other two were identical ’77’s bought by two different friends, at about the same time, but they didn’t know each other. The name Capri has surfaced on other products including a Mustang-based Mercury in the early ’80s and an Australian two-seater version in the ’90s but I am referencing the ’70s Ford of Europe product. And I had actually forgotten about the Capri until I spied this ’74 example, located in Phoenix, Arizona and available here on craigslist for $5,800. Thanks to Art for this tip!

Briefly, the Capri was produced by Ford of Europe and went into production in 1969. It was designed to be a European “pony-car” based on Ford Cortina underpinnings. In ’70, the Capri was distributed to Australia and North America where Lincoln-Mercury dealers handled sales and service. While the Capri continued in its basic existing architecture until ’86, ’77 was the end of the road for it in the U.S.

This Capri’s listing is thin, the pictures have to do the talking. All in all, it’s quite straight and the laconic listing does claim that it is all original with zero rust. There is a crease in the right-side quarter, not too serious, but I imagine trying to blend 46-year-old paint would be a trick. There is also a missing piece of trim on the passenger-side quarter, again, pretty minor. Speaking of paint, the popular Onyx Green finish seems pretty strong still, with slight signs of fading which is pretty remarkable if this Capri has spent a lot of its life in the Phoenix area. The rear valance has something funky occurring but it appears topical and not invasive. Even the massive bumper covers aren’t warped or drooping in places as they have a tendency on some cars of this era to do. Speaking of bumpers, this Capri’s bumper profile, new for ’74 thanks to U.S. bumper regulations, is a bit awkward; only the Ford Maverick comes to mind as being more overt.

The interior of this Capri is in surprisingly good condition. There is no mileage listed for this car but the odometer reads 2,819 so it has been around at least once putting it at 102K. That said, the interior belies the car’s age and mileage. The passenger seat reveals a separated seam but I can’t find any other defects. While the carpet shows to be a bit faded, the dash presents no concern.

There were two engines available in ’74 for the Capri, a 2.0-liter in-line four-cylinder or a 2.8 liter, V6 which is what this example harbors. It’s good for 106 net HP but there is no word from the seller on how it runs. A four-speed manual transmission handles the gear changes. There is what looks like an A/C compressor under the hood but it’s beltless so I take that to mean, yes it has A/C, no it doesn’t work – no reference to that in the listing. The seller does advise that this car requires brake work and a carburetor rebuild. No word on what symptoms it is experiencing.

As I mentioned at the outset, I had pretty much forgotten about this Ford of Europe product until this listing popped up. Regarding my three friends who are former owners, the first with the ’71 moved to Key West in the mid-’70s and by ’78, the last time that I saw the car, it was more rust than car. The other two guys, who had identical ’77 models but didn’t know each other, sold them both about the same time (really strange!) Why? They both found them to be OK cars but boring. In the case of one, he wanted what he considered to be a real pony-car and I don’t recall the other’s exact reasoning. The Capri did well in sales, 513,000 were sold in the U.S. by the end of its nine-year run so this European inspired pony-car found demand in a pretty crowded U.S. market. I guess the question now is there still a buyer out there who wants to experience what 513,000 others did back in the ’70s?

One California Owner: 1959 Ford F-100

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

It’s always fun and somewhat surprising to see vehicles that have had only one owner since new. A lot of people treat their vehicles as appliances for getting from point A to point B and nothing more. I know people who don’t even care about them enough to have ever washed their vehicles, not even once. This 1959 Ford F-100 pickup has had one owner for over six decades. It’s listed here on eBay in Rio Linda, California with no reserve and a current bid price of just over $2,000.

Ford’s half-ton pickup was named F-100 in this era, rather than the F-150 that we know them as today. This may take some heat, but I would rather have this truck than a new one. I mean, not this exact truck in this condition, but all things being equal, condition-wise, I’d rather have an old Ford pickup than a new one. That probably won’t be popular, but as Popeye says, I am what I am and that’s all I am. I know that new trucks are nicer and safer and you can drive cross-country in one without blinking, but still, give me an old truck any day.

Who among us doesn’t want to get this truck working perfectly and drive it as it looks now? I would, but I would also like to restore it back to looking like new again. I’m not really that fussy and I do love the look of this original paint even with portions of it being long gone, replaced with surface rust, or as they say in 2020, flash rust. Patina is so 2019.

I’m assuming that the seat has been recovered and there’s that steering wheel cover, but otherwise, the interior looks like it may have looked when it left the factory in 1959. I love the simple gauges. Our own Montana Danford showed us a similar but newer 1965 Ford F-100 in this color scheme here on Barn Finds, but in gorgeous condition. That’s how I would bring this truck back to life, but that’s just me.

The black, replacement choke knob in the photo of the gauges and dash probably isn’t connected to anything as the seller says that the carburetor is missing. So is the radiator. No worries, you probably would have wanted to replace both of those anyway. The engine should be Ford’s 223 cubic-inch inline-six, the Mileage-Maker, which would have had around 115 hp. How would you restore this F-100?

More: Ford F-Series

SHARETWEET

European Inspired Pony-Car: 1974 Capri

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

I have never owned a Capri, or a Ford Capri or a Mercury Capri but I know three individuals who have. One was a ’71 and the other two were identical ’77’s bought by two different friends, at about the same time, but they didn’t know each other. The name Capri has surfaced on other products including a Mustang-based Mercury in the early ’80s and an Australian two-seater version in the ’90s but I am referencing the ’70s Ford of Europe product. And I had actually forgotten about the Capri until I spied this ’74 example, located in Phoenix, Arizona and available here on craigslist for $5,800. Thanks to Art for this tip!

Briefly, the Capri was produced by Ford of Europe and went into production in 1969. It was designed to be a European “pony-car” based on Ford Cortina underpinnings. In ’70, the Capri was distributed to Australia and North America where Lincoln-Mercury dealers handled sales and service. While the Capri continued in its basic existing architecture until ’86, ’77 was the end of the road for it in the U.S.

This Capri’s listing is thin, the pictures have to do the talking. All in all, it’s quite straight and the laconic listing does claim that it is all original with zero rust. There is a crease in the right-side quarter, not too serious, but I imagine trying to blend 46-year-old paint would be a trick. There is also a missing piece of trim on the passenger-side quarter, again, pretty minor. Speaking of paint, the popular Onyx Green finish seems pretty strong still, with slight signs of fading which is pretty remarkable if this Capri has spent a lot of its life in the Phoenix area. The rear valance has something funky occurring but it appears topical and not invasive. Even the massive bumper covers aren’t warped or drooping in places as they have a tendency on some cars of this era to do. Speaking of bumpers, this Capri’s bumper profile, new for ’74 thanks to U.S. bumper regulations, is a bit awkward; only the Ford Maverick comes to mind as being more overt.

The interior of this Capri is in surprisingly good condition. There is no mileage listed for this car but the odometer reads 2,819 so it has been around at least once putting it at 102K. That said, the interior belies the car’s age and mileage. The passenger seat reveals a separated seam but I can’t find any other defects. While the carpet shows to be a bit faded, the dash presents no concern.

There were two engines available in ’74 for the Capri, a 2.0-liter in-line four-cylinder or a 2.8 liter, V6 which is what this example harbors. It’s good for 106 net HP but there is no word from the seller on how it runs. A four-speed manual transmission handles the gear changes. There is what looks like an A/C compressor under the hood but it’s beltless so I take that to mean, yes it has A/C, no it doesn’t work – no reference to that in the listing. The seller does advise that this car requires brake work and a carburetor rebuild. No word on what symptoms it is experiencing.

As I mentioned at the outset, I had pretty much forgotten about this Ford of Europe product until this listing popped up. Regarding my three friends who are former owners, the first with the ’71 moved to Key West in the mid-’70s and by ’78, the last time that I saw the car, it was more rust than car. The other two guys, who had identical ’77 models but didn’t know each other, sold them both about the same time (really strange!) Why? They both found them to be OK cars but boring. In the case of one, he wanted what he considered to be a real pony-car and I don’t recall the other’s exact reasoning. The Capri did well in sales, 513,000 were sold in the U.S. by the end of its nine-year run so this European inspired pony-car found demand in a pretty crowded U.S. market. I guess the question now is there still a buyer out there who wants to experience what 513,000 others did back in the ’70s?
I like these cars, obviously brother raced one, I had a couple along the way
one of my favourites over the years was the JPS edition I had, fun car to drive,

Parked For 30 Years: 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Sometimes here at Barn Finds we see cars that really raise some questions in our minds. This 1965 Mustang Fastback is a perfect example. Until recently it had been owned by the same family for its entire life. At some point during that period, they chose to treat the car to a cosmetic restoration. As soon as this was complete they parked the vehicle in their garage, and that’s where it remained for the next 30-years. The current owner then purchased the car and returned it to a roadworthy state. Now that this process has been completed, he has decided that the time has come for the Mustang to head off to a new home. If you would like to be the next proud owner of this classic pony car, then you will find the Mustang located in Elkhorn, Nebraska, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $20,300, but the reserve hasn’t been met. There is also a BIN option available, and this has been set at $34,500. Also at the time of writing, there are 108 people watching the listing.

The original owners chose to have the Mustang repainted in its original Wimbledon White as part of the restoration process. They also had the rear quarter panels and trunk pan replaced due to the usual rust issues. Whilst it doesn’t rate a mention, I suspect that the front floor on the driver’s side may also have been replaced. If you check the photos at the bottom of this article you will find one showing this area. I’m sure that it shows evidence of work in that area, and if I’m right, then this particular aspect looks like it is a fairly rough job. Otherwise, the car appears to be free of any further rust. The paint looks quite reasonable, but the owner suggests that it would really benefit from a wet sand and buff to return it to its best. There is also a crack in the paint just below the badge on the driver’s side front fender. If the Mustang has had limited exposure to UV rays since the restoration, then a good spray-painter should be able to address this and match the color with no real worries. The rest of the panels and the paint, the trim and chrome, along with the glass, look to be quite good. The vintage-look Torq Thrust wheels are a recent addition, but the original hubcaps are included in the sale.

It appears that the Fastback is a numbers-matching car, with the engine bay home to an A-code 289ci V8, backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. After sitting for so long, the vehicle did require some work to make it roadworthy once again. This included the replacement of the brakes, including the master cylinder and rear brake hoses. The fluids were all flushed, all hoses were replaced, the original carburetor received a rebuild, while the gas tank, fuel pump, sender unit, and the fuel lines were all replaced. There were numerous other small jobs performed, but the upshot of all of this work is that the Mustang now runs and drives perfectly. With 225hp available in such a light car, performance should be pretty decent as well. The only thing that the owner identifies now as needing attention is the exhaust. He is of the opinion that it should be replaced.

The Mustang’s white interior trim is said to be original, and it actually has survived quite well. There is a ter and a seam separation visible in the driver’s seat, but this looks like it could be repaired. There is also a hole in the headliner on the passenger side near the visor. I’m not sure whether this could be repaired satisfactorily, so a replacement might be on the cards. The rest of the trim, the carpet, and the console all appear to be quite nice. The original radio has been removed and an AM/FM radio/cassette player sits in its spot. However, the original radio is included in the sale.

I would love to know why someone would go to the trouble and expense of restoring a car like this Mustang, and then choose to park it for the next three decades. Still, their loss could be the next owner’s gain. The only real question mark that I have in my mind surrounds that front floor. What do you think?

More: 2+2 / Fastback / Ford / Mustang

Big Blue! 1968 Ford LTD Q-Code 428 Car

Todd Fitch
Todd Fitch

Ford’s classy LTD graced the cover of its sales brochure for 1968. Like many self-respecting late ’60s luxury cars, it features hidden headlights and a powerful choice of V8 engines. In fact, this 1968 Ford LTD in Hillsboro, West Virginia left the factory with the top-dog Q-code 428 cid (7.0L) powerplant. At some point a 390 cid (6.5L) replacement took up residence in the engine bay, and it lives on in running condition today. The machine not only runs, it drives and stops too. The listing here on eBay asks only $2000 for this stylish classic.

If someone can think of a more hideous-looking color for this car, please enlighten us in the comments below. Including the bumpers in the baby blue madness certainly qualifies as adding insult to injury. That said, the $150 respray may have done some good by sealing the panels from surface rust.

Without its original 428, this LTD casts off the purists who only expend effort on factory-correct rides. As ’60s powerplants go, though, the 390 demands respect, and can be built from mild to wild. The seller admits this one smokes a bit, so don’t expect perfection.

The re-upholstered seats look well-done, though not a perfect match to the original hue. Power windows fit with the LTD’s high-class image. If this luxury coupe turned out to be loaded with rare options, it might win back some potential buyers who passed after learning the 428 had flown the coupe.

Despite some shortcomings, this solid-looking Ford presents entry-level enthusiasts an interesting opportunity. I’d drive it as it sits, but not with that blue. What color do you like for this LTD’s inevitable re-paint?

Running Project: 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1973 Mustang Mach 1 had been sitting for several years before the owner kicked the vehicle back into life. It runs and drives, but it is in need of restoration. It appears to be an essentially complete and solid vehicle, but it has lost some of its originality. That provides the next owner with the opportunity to transform the Mustang into the car of their dreams without the stress and anguish that can sometimes accompany the destruction of a numbers-matching classic. The Mach 1 is located in Denver, Colorado, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. Taking on a Mustang project is as simple as handing the owner of this one $7,950. A big thank you must go to Barn Finder Ikey H for referring the Mustang through to us.

When you look at just how faded the paint is on this Mustang, it is hard to believe that it started life as Bright Red. It is now badly faded and is well beyond a simple polish treatment to return it to its best. I think that the thing that I find most surprising is the lack of major visible rust. Oh, don’t get me wrong, because it a 1st Generation Mustang in need of restoration, so that makes rust a virtual certainty. Having said that, the rockers look pretty clean, and while there is rust in both lower quarter panels, these should be able to be fixed with the use of patch panels rather than complete panel replacement. It is possible that there are a few spots present in the lower front fenders, but if there are, they are pretty minor. The biggest worry for me is the Bondo in the front fender on the driver’s side. It appears that the surface preparation wasn’t that great when this was applied, because some big pieces have now fallen out. The reason that it worries me is that if this work was completed to such a low standard, it makes me wonder what other repairs are currently hidden from view.

The owner states that the Mustang’s black interior needs a freshen up, and I have to rate the owner as the master of the understatement. The dash and door trims look like they are in reasonable condition, but from there we go downhill pretty quickly. With the headliner, seat covers, carpet, and the dash pad all in need of replacement, the most logical approach would be to purchase a complete trim kit for the Mach 1. The fact that high-quality kits that would address all of this car’s interior issues can be sourced for around $1,150 means that this could be one of the least expensive aspects of the restoration process.

If this Mustang was a numbers-matching vehicle, then what you would find under the hood would be a 302ci V8. It isn’t numbers-matching, so the owner states that what we can see is a 351ci Windsor engine. This is backed by a 3-speed manual transmission, while life is made more pleasant by the inclusion of power steering. The owner revived the Mustang recently, and it now drives and stops at car park speeds. It sounds like it might need a bit of work to return it to a roadworthy state, but the vehicle has received a new fuel tank and a new carburetor as part of the revival process. This is where the next owner could potentially make some interesting decisions. With the original motor now consigned to history, this would be a chance to upgrade things a bit. These early emission V8s were not renowned for their smoothness, refinement, performance, or their good manners. Maybe the answer is to slot in a fuel-injected 5.0-liter V8 from a later Mustang. This would potentially address the smoothness and reliability of the car while arming it with more horsepower. It’s certainly something to think about.

This Mustang raises plenty of questions in my mind, but the big one surrounds its potential value if restored. The reality is that if this was a numbers-matching car with the 302 under the hood, then its ultimate value would struggle to reach beyond $30,000. With the original engine now history, that means that it could potentially be worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Given those factors, that makes me think that the asking price might be a bit high unless the next owner is keen to produce a restomod. Then it might make some sense.

More: Ford / Mach 1 / Mustang

Parked For 30 Years: 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback 2+2

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Sometimes here at Barn Finds we see cars that really raise some questions in our minds. This 1965 Mustang Fastback is a perfect example. Until recently it had been owned by the same family for its entire life. At some point during that period, they chose to treat the car to a cosmetic restoration. As soon as this was complete they parked the vehicle in their garage, and that’s where it remained for the next 30-years. The current owner then purchased the car and returned it to a roadworthy state. Now that this process has been completed, he has decided that the time has come for the Mustang to head off to a new home. If you would like to be the next proud owner of this classic pony car, then you will find the Mustang located in Elkhorn, Nebraska, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $20,300, but the reserve hasn’t been met. There is also a BIN option available, and this has been set at $34,500. Also at the time of writing, there are 108 people watching the listing.

The original owners chose to have the Mustang repainted in its original Wimbledon White as part of the restoration process. They also had the rear quarter panels and trunk pan replaced due to the usual rust issues. Whilst it doesn’t rate a mention, I suspect that the front floor on the driver’s side may also have been replaced. If you check the photos at the bottom of this article you will find one showing this area. I’m sure that it shows evidence of work in that area, and if I’m right, then this particular aspect looks like it is a fairly rough job. Otherwise, the car appears to be free of any further rust. The paint looks quite reasonable, but the owner suggests that it would really benefit from a wet sand and buff to return it to its best. There is also a crack in the paint just below the badge on the driver’s side front fender. If the Mustang has had limited exposure to UV rays since the restoration, then a good spray-painter should be able to address this and match the color with no real worries. The rest of the panels and the paint, the trim and chrome, along with the glass, look to be quite good. The vintage-look Torq Thrust wheels are a recent addition, but the original hubcaps are included in the sale.

It appears that the Fastback is a numbers-matching car, with the engine bay home to an A-code 289ci V8, backed by a 4-speed manual transmission. After sitting for so long, the vehicle did require some work to make it roadworthy once again. This included the replacement of the brakes, including the master cylinder and rear brake hoses. The fluids were all flushed, all hoses were replaced, the original carburetor received a rebuild, while the gas tank, fuel pump, sender unit, and the fuel lines were all replaced. There were numerous other small jobs performed, but the upshot of all of this work is that the Mustang now runs and drives perfectly. With 225hp available in such a light car, performance should be pretty decent as well. The only thing that the owner identifies now as needing attention is the exhaust. He is of the opinion that it should be replaced.

The Mustang’s white interior trim is said to be original, and it actually has survived quite well. There is a ter and a seam separation visible in the driver’s seat, but this looks like it could be repaired. There is also a hole in the headliner on the passenger side near the visor. I’m not sure whether this could be repaired satisfactorily, so a replacement might be on the cards. The rest of the trim, the carpet, and the console all appear to be quite nice. The original radio has been removed and an AM/FM radio/cassette player sits in its spot. However, the original radio is included in the sale.

I would love to know why someone would go to the trouble and expense of restoring a car like this Mustang, and then choose to park it for the next three decades. Still, their loss could be the next owner’s gain. The only real question mark that I have in my mind surrounds that front floor. What do you think?

More: 2+2 / Fastback / Ford / Mustang
34k for this car is a very good price, trust me I look lol. love to have it, few years maybe, one at a time lol

Back