Barn Finds

Lightning Rod: 1994 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

Just over halfway through the run of 4,007 examples in 1994, came this 1994 Ford F-150 SVT Lightning. This is one to watch if a person is into the first-generation SVT Lightning as much as I am. This example can be found here on eBay in Williamsburg, Virginia. The current bid price is $5,800 as I write this and there is less than a day left on the auction!

The SVT (Special Vehicle Team) Lightning was introduced in late-1992 as a 1993 model and they were made until 1995 using the ninth-generation Ford F-150. After taking a three-year break, they came back in 1999 and production ended in 2004. There were only 1,165 red SVT Lightning trucks made for the 1994 model year. They also came in black and white and that’s it. Red was the rarest color that year but it seems to be the only color I ever see for sale.

Ford said about the Lightning, “For all intents, the F-150 Lightning is a Mustang GT with a cargo bed.” This particular Lightning looks great in most of the photos, but it does have a few issues, one, in particular, worries me. The seller mentions that there is a bit of rust percolating in a few areas and the one that causes my already-wrinkled forehead to sprout even more wrinkles is the area seen here on the drip rail. I guess that could be fixed most likely without too much trouble, and the truck probably could use a full repaint anyway so just plan on that.

The interior looks just about perfect from what I can see, other than the aftermarket stereo. How fun is it to see the era when every stinkin’ vehicle didn’t have acres of leather everywhere?! Fabric seats! What a concept, warm in winter, cool in summer, unlike leather. How did we as a society realize that we all needed to have leather seats in every vehicle?! I don’t understand that. Like needing AWD. We didn’t have that growing up in Duluth, Minnesota – better known as San Francisco of the east – with legendary steep streets, yet we somehow survived without AWD. Now, God forbid anyone go 2 miles to get a loaf of bread on city streets without having a giant AWD SUV even if it’s in the summertime. Ok, enough with the sermon. As long as I’m on that subject, this SVT Lightning is rear-wheel-drive, of course. And, no leather. +10

The engine, while hot stuff at the time, is pretty mild by today’s standards. Just about any 2020 Camry could smoke this truck in a straight line or on a curvy racetrack. But, then you’d be driving a Camry… The engine here should be Ford’s 351 cubic-inch V8 and make sure that the 8th character on the VIN is an “R” to know that it’s a real SVT Lightning. It had a mere 240 hp and 340 lb-ft of torque but in 1994 for a pickup, that was a good number. This looks like a killer deal to me, have any of you owned a Ford SVT Lightning pickup?
Have something to sell? List it here on Barn Finds!

More: Ford F-150 / Lightning

Boss Clone? 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1969 Mustang Mach 1 would have been a pretty desirable car when it was new, especially given the fact that hiding under the hood was an R-Code 428 Cobra Jet V8. The original drivetrain is now long gone, but the owner provides the opportunity for the buyer to purchase another engine, and this one is a tantalizing prospect. Otherwise, this is a very solid classic that is just awaiting the right person to revive it. The Mustang is located in Las Vegas, Nevada, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $15,100, but the reserve hasn’t been met. The owner also offers a BIN option, and this has been set at $21,750.

First Generation Mustangs are renowned for their ability to rust at an alarming rate, especially in the right environment. That fate had befallen this particular car, but now this is but a distant memory. Someone had commenced restoring this car, and the only rust left to address is a small spot in the trunk near the fuel tank. The rear outer wheel wells and quarter panels have all been replaced, while a one-piece floor has also been professionally installed. Looking around the engine bay, the battery tray was all that required replacement, because the shock towers look nice and clean. The frame rails and torque boxes appear to be solid, but these will need a clean and treatment to ensure that the surface corrosion that is present in a few spots doesn’t manage to gain a foothold. The tinted glass is all present and looks to be free of flaws. The trim also seems to be complete, and while some of it requires a clean and polish, the rear bumper is new. The vintage-look alloy wheels that are fitted to the Mustang will remain on the vehicle, while the original Argent wheels that were fitted to the car are complete, in good condition, and are also included in the sale.

The engine bay of the Mustang is a pretty sad sight when you consider what the Marti Reports says used to be there. When the Mustang rolled off the line, it featured an R-Code 428 Cobra Jet V8, a C6 automatic transmission, a 3.25 Traction-Lok rear end, power steering, and power front disc brakes. While the rear end that is in the car now is a 9-inch, it isn’t original. The motor and transmission are long gone, while the disc brakes have been swapped for drums at some point. The owner states that he does have the correct front discs and components for the Mach 1, which is some sort of starting point. All of the power steering components are present, while a new fuel tank kit has been fitted. The owner has the correct pedals if the car is eventually fitted with an auto transmission, while he is also including the correct pedals for conversion to manual, which was his intention. The loss of the original drivetrain is extremely disappointing, and regardless of what the next owner decides to bolt under the car, this will have some impact on the vehicle’s value. With this in mind, the owner does offer an interesting proposition for potential buyers. The owner has a genuine 1970 Boss 302 V8 and is willing to sell that to the buyer for $7,500 if the reserve is met, or if they exercise the BIN option. This engine has the correct DOZE casting numbers, Buddy Bar intake, the correct valve covers, and correct damper pulley. Even better, the engine was given a rebuild a few years ago and hasn’t been fired since. I know that with an output of 290hp, the 302 is well short of the 428’s 335hp. However, the 302 is also a far lighter engine, and if bolted to a 4-speed manual transmission, the 302-equipped car will be lighter by a considerable margin. The result is a car that would be more nimble and would handle and stop significantly better than if the 428 was under the hood. I have to say that I would find this to be pretty tempting.

The interior photos aren’t the greatest, and this one was the pick of the bunch. It doesn’t show a lot of detail, but it does show those shiny new floors. All of the seats are present, and the dash and pad look like they are complete, and in good condition. There are a few minor trim pieces that are missing, but the list that the owner provides of these parts is pretty short, and the parts are relatively inexpensive in the context of this restoration. The Mustang will require a new carpet set, but a new headliner is included in the sale.

For me, this Mustang Mach 1 is an interesting car. The fact that the rust has been addressed is a real plus, and with the vehicle in its current state, any prospective buyers can get a good look at what they might be buying, and the standard of the workmanship to this point. The lack of original drivetrain is extremely disappointing, but the alternative that the seller is offering is a tempting prospect. Personally, I’d be grabbing that Boss motor. How about you?

More: Ford / Mach 1 / Mustang

Original Owner! 1973 Ford Mustang Mach I

Jim ODonnell
Jim ODonnell

How do you part with a car that you have owned for 47 years? It’s easy to divorce yourself from one that you have come to really dislike, or one that means nothing to you, but 47 years? Clearly “dislike” can’t be the issue if the relationship has lasted that long. But here you have just such an example, located in River Edge, New Jersey and available here on craigslist for $6,500, an original owner sale of a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach I. Thanks to Ikey H. for this tip!

Original owner/one owner sometimes takes on different meanings. Frequently, the original owner turns his car over to a broker/seller who sells it, promoting it as a “one owner” car as he is just selling it so that starts the ownership debate. Well, there’s no debate here, the seller bought this Mustang in ’73 and now he’s the one letting it go.

I would describe this 145K mile mustang as pretty fair, especially considering that it has seen 47 winters in New Jersey. The seller states that there is some rust in the lower quarters and a spot on the door, no mention regarding the underside. The body is straight and intact with a typically faded “4Q” Green Metallic finish, a common color seen on Mustangs of this era. The paint is original except for the passenger side fender and quarter panel. The seller, somewhere in the past, added a nice set of alloy wheels to this Mach I, they appear to be a bit worn but in pretty good shape overall and they compliment the visual appeal of this Mustang. This is the third and final year for the “big” Mustang, a design that some considered controversial because of it its significant departure in style from the ’69 & ’70 version. That said, the ’71-’73 design change was nowhere near as radical a redesign as what awaits in ’74 with the new, Pinto-based, Mustang II.

The Mach I was a performance “appearance” package but could also be a genuine performance package too, it just depends on what the buyer was looking for. This example is an appearance version as it is powered by the entry-level, 302 CI V8, good for 140 net HP. Gear selection matters are handled by a three-speed automatic unit. The seller states that this Mach I has not run for six months and it needs a battery. And that’s a position that I don’t understand. It would seem to me that the seller’s chance of sales success would be much greater with a running car and a battery is a very small price to pay to achieve running status unless of course there is some greater problem impeding this Mustang’s operational capability.

The interior is as expected, all in all, not bad; worn carpet and worn-through driver’s seat material but what do you expect for this age and mileage. The instrument panel and gauges look fine, no word regarding functionality of them or the A/C system. I’m not sure what’s up with the tape on the steering wheel, looks like a nautical theme going on with green tape on the port side and red tape on the starboard – maybe a way to find home, you know, “red, right, returning”.

The seller adds that he has all of the original documentation, receipts, build sheet, etc. so this Mustang is about as original and documented as you will find. And while it’s not a rare performance model, it’s just a nice old original car, and being a Mustang, it will generate interest. The seller says that he is firm on his price and that being the case, it will be up to a potential buyer to decide if the value is right for what this car is. I think it would be hard at this point to let go of something that has been owned for so long so the seller’s story would be interesting to know, don’t you think?

More: Ford Mustang / Mach 1

SHARETWEET

Super Nice Driver: 1990 Ford Mustang LX

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

As someone who owns both modified and nearly-stock vehicles, I can see the argument both ways on why you’d choose one path versus another. I can be somewhat hypocritical on occasion, as I believe the most valuable examples of any car are the unmodified ones, but there’s no denying that a Fox Body Mustang lowered on Cobra wheels just looks awesome. This 1990 LX hatchback comes with under 80,000 original miles, a gorgeous original interior, and an engine compartment described as being 100 percent original. Find it here on eBay where bidding is over $7K with the reserve unmet.

The listing doesn’t mention whether the Mustang has been lowered, but it sure looks like it to me. Even with the larger wheels, it likely have such a small gap between the top of the tire and the fender without an aftermarket suspension. Regardless, it looks good, I just hope the owner chose an upgraded shock like those from Koni or Bilstein. I do wish the tires for the Cobra wheels had a little more meat to them in terms of sidewall, as they look slightly rubber-bandish here.

You have to love interiors that still look this good, and to me this is a major bright spot considering the exterior might lead you to believe the cabin has been trashed like only a teenaged driver can do. Not the case, as the Mustang has clearly been owned by someone who loved it. The red cloth and corresponding carpeting and dash look sharp against the white exterior, and it’s in surprisingly good shape considering the mileage doesn’t exactly make it a true time capsule.

There are other tell-tale signs this Mustang has enjoyed mature ownership, starting with the completely stock engine bay. Other clues include VIN tags still affixed to all body panels, and the only tweak to the exhaust being some upgraded tips rather than a full aftermarket system. Overall, if I’m going to modify a car, I tend to stop exactly where the owner did – with the suspension. Keep everything else neat and tidy, and make it a better driver in the process. I’m curious to see where this one ends up.

More: Ford / Mustang

SHARETWEET

Rare Racer: 2000 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra R

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

We are pretty fortunate to live in a time when you can buy a “factory” car or truck with 6, 7, 800+ horsepower. Twenty years ago in 2000, this Mustang SVT Cobra R was the cream of the crop and was described by Motor Trend as “Ford’s fire-breather.” It featured a 385 horsepower dual overhead cam engine and ran the 1/4 mile in 12.9 seconds. There were only 300 built and they had an MSRP of $54,995 ($84,000 in today’s dollars). This particular car only shows a little over 10K original miles and can be found here on eBay with a current bid over $25,000. Being offered for sale by Cool Classics International, their website lists it for sale with an asking price of $55,000, so I would bet the eBay reserve is somewhere around that figure. Let’s take a look at this amazing survivor.

The SVT Cobra R looks really aggressive with the tall hood, ground effects, and rear spoiler. As mentioned before, there were only 300 of these cars produced in 2000 and the 600 SVT dealers entered a lottery for the chance to sell one. The only color option was red and most buyers probably ended up paying more than the MSRP. You can read Motor Trend’s road test here on motortrend.com.

Here is a great shot of the 5.4-liter DOHC V8. The engine had a 6500 rpm red-line and featured 385/385 horsepower and torque ratings. The big V8 was fit using new engine mounts and lowered cross-member with the cowl hood. Exhaust flows out through short-tube headers, an x-pipe, and three Borla mufflers exiting in front of the rear tires. The transmission is a 6-speed Tremec T-56 with beefed-up internals. While the zero to sixty acceleration numbers aren’t too impressive by today’s standards, they weren’t too far off from the 2000 Corvette. In fact, the 1/4 mile time for the Cobra R was four-tenths quicker.

With only 10K miles showing on the odometer, the interior doesn’t look as pristine as you would expect. The carpet needs to be vacuumed and overall, it needs a little attention. The seats are Recaros and the interior is completely stock with the exception of a removable roll bar and 5-point racing harnesses.

Overall, these cars look really sporty. I’m not sure if a prospective buyer will be willing to shell out $50K+ on this example, but it is probably the best one of the 300 made. What do you think of this car?

Rolling Project: 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

With this 1970 Mustang Mach 1, it really seems to be a case of “what you see is what you get.” The car is missing its original engine and transmission, but it does look like its rust issues could be fairly minimal. It could represent a great blank canvas for any enthusiast who would love to build the Mustang of their dreams. Located in Darien, Illinois, you will find the Mustang listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on the Mach 1 has been very strong up to this point, pushing the price along to $7,600. The reserve has now been met, and with 162 people watching the listing, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the price push up a bit further yet.

The owner has a Marti Report for the Mustang, and when it was shiny and new, it really must have been quite a sight. It was finished in Medium Bright Blue Metallic with a Black hood stripe. It appears that someone has begun to restore the vehicle, but this has stalled pretty early on. I’ve had a good look through the supplied photos, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of visible rust. The owner also states that most of the floors and frame are good, although there is some rust present in the A-Pillars. It isn’t clear just how severe this is, but it is something that I would definitely have fixed by a professional. Structural integrity in this area is paramount, and the last thing that you want if you find yourself shiny-side-down is for the roof to collapse in around your ears. What isn’t clear is just what in the way of hardware is included with the Mustang. There is no external trim or chrome attached to the car and no glass visible. The owner doesn’t mention the presence, or otherwise, of these items, and they aren’t visible in any of the supplied photos. That’s a question that would be well worth asking, because replacing all of the trim and glass will add a fair old chunk to the cost of a restoration.

The Mustang originally featured an M-Code 351ci V8, a 4-speed close-ratio transmission, a 3.25 Traction-Lok rear end, power steering, and power disc brakes. The engine and transmission are long gone, but the original rear end remains in situ. This is where the next owner will face some decisions. Sourcing a date correct engine and transmission would not be a difficult task, and that would make it possible to at least return the car to its original configuration and specifications. Of course, it won’t be a numbers-matching car, so that will have some impact on its ultimate value. That is where the next owner might choose to tackle this as a restomod project, with a more modern drivetrain finding its way under that classic body. Another area where the next owner will be starting from scratch will be with the Mustang’s interior. Originally it was trimmed in blue and featured a tachometer and an AM radio. It looks like the dash might be present, but I can’t see any seats or other interior trim items. Interestingly, the owner says that he has a separate collection of parts, including seats, and that he might be willing to do a bit of a deal on those pieces. The buyer might choose to take him up on his offer, but they might also have other ideas as well.

This 1970 Mustang Mach 1 has generated plenty of interest since it was listed for sale, and I actually don’t find this to be a huge surprise. Any 1st Generation Mustang that isn’t riddled with rust is capable of doing that, and that is essentially what we appear to have here. Restoring the vehicle is going to be a major undertaking, so is it one that you would be willing to take on?

More: Ford / Mach 1 / Mustang

Stalled Eleanor Project: 1968 Ford Mustang

blank.gif
Paul Couch

In the original 1974 release of Gone in 60-Seconds, Eleanor was a yellow 1971 Mustang Fastback dressed up to look like a 1973 Mustang Fastback. The cars used in the movie, four total, were purchased in 1971 but it took the filmmaker another three years to secure all of the funding required before filming. Due to the delayed start, the Mustangs were modified with grilles from 1973 to make them appear newer. In the more recent 2000 release, Eleanor was a 1967 Shelby GT 500. It was the 1967 Eleanor from the latter movie that spawned an entire industry of Eleanor clones. This stalled project is neither one of those. Instead, it’s a 1968 Mustang coupe and you can find it for sale here on craigslist in Canyon Lake, Texas for $13,500.

The seller has already begun work on a lot of the exterior modifications needed to make the conversion to an Eleanor tribute. Included among them is the Shelby taillight conversion, rear deck lid with spoiler and a fiberglass hood. However, there is still a ton of bodywork left to complete this stalled project including fitting all the body panels, front grille, and valance. I see a lot of body filler and prep work in the new owner’s future.

The seller doesn’t specify what engine is in the car but claims to have invested quite a bit of money here. Perhaps it’s the original 289 cubic inch engine with some additional aftermarket performance parts to help move it down the highway. The seller is in the process of installing a new radiator and should have a running car that should help alleviate any fears potential buyers may have about the engine. There is no exhaust so the new owner will have to complete that to have a running and driving car. The car also has a rebuilt C6 transmission. No word on the chassis but it does have new wheels and tires.

The interior looks complete and serviceable. The dash, seats and door panels all look to be in place and intact. The aftermarket for Mustang parts is limitless so any missing parts should be easy to acquire. A complete interior restoration is in order to make this a true Eleanor show car. Since this is a coupe and not a Fastback like the real Eleanor that the seller wants to pay tribute to, I would probably ditch the Eleanor theme and complete the project as a nice resto-mod Mustang. If this was your project what would you do?

Dirty Pony: 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

There isn’t a ton of information in the ad for this 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1. It does say it has been sitting for about 20 years. Based on the photos, I’m guessing this is an auto body and/or mechanic shop? It can be found here on Facebook Marketplace with an asking price of $18,000. If you had to guess what the story on this car is, it may be a typical case of owner brings his car in for work. It is delayed for some reason and sits for a while. The owner never comes back to get it and it’s considered abandoned. It may also be a case of a stalled project? What’s your guess?

There are a few up-close shots of the interior, but nothing that really gives a good overall picture. You can tell it is probably mostly stock and untouched. There is also no photo of the engine compartment. The VIN is 9T02M130471 and there is a Marti Report available, which is a bonus. The VIN indicates it would have the 290 horsepower 351 cubic inch V8 and the ad says it is numbers-matching, so that’s a big plus.

The VIN also indicates it was produced in Metuchen, New Jersey and it is being sold from the Bronx, New York, so it may have spent its entire life in the North East. The snow tires on the rear would indicate it was probably driven year-round. There is some rust present as you can see in this photo, which also backs up the theory of yearly use. There is a pretty significant dent in the driver’s side door that will need to be addressed as well but overall, this doesn’t look like a bad project. What do you think?

More: Ford Mustang / Mach 1

SHARETWEET

My family had a 71 woody wagon like this with the same engine, it was brown instead of green and never looked this good as my Dad bought it used in 77.

No Reserve: 1972 Ford Country Squire LTD

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1972 Ford Country Squire LTD is described as a 39,000 mile survivor that remains in impeccably clean condition courtesy of a lifetime in the California sunshine. The wagon had previously been in a private collection for years before the seller took ownership, and he notes that aside from the A/C, everything works as it should – including the powered rear window. The wood trim looks outstanding, and the California blue plates confirm this long-term Cali car’s limited use in recent years. The LTD is listed here on eBay at no reserve, with bidding up to $8,400 as of this writing.

With so many vintage nameplates coming back to life, such as the recently re-introduced Ford Bronco SUV concept, I’m surprised Ford hasn’t tried to capitalize on the iconic status of its Country Squire nameplate and the high levels of luxury and comfort it embodied. I’m also a little sad fake wood paneling hasn’t made a come-back. Regardless, an example like this that has survived with its wood trim still looking sharp, original hubcaps attached, excellent chrome, and straight-as-an-arrow body panels should impress just as many onlookers as a modern-day SUV-crossover-lifted station wagon blob of anonymity.

The interior is in outstanding condition, with bench seats that remain untorn, an un-cracked dash, and door panels that show zero signs of modification. The thick carpeting also looks quite clean, along with the wood trim inserts in the doors. Despite these wagons being used for road trips and hauling multiple passengers, this Country Squire doesn’t appear to be any worse for the wear. If it was used anything like the Volvo 240 wagon my grandmother purchased – i.e., solely for the purpose of hauling the occasional grandkid – then I can see how this large-bodied estate remains in such good nick. Bummer about the A/C not working, however.

Underside photos confirm this wagon is as rust-free as the seller promises, and in the sort of condition that only West Coast cars can pull off. The Country Squire is powered by a 400 V8 paired to an automatic transmission, and the seller confirms that it runs and drives well with no indications of worn suspension components or other maladies. The engine bay appears quite fresh with near-perfect paint on the air cleaner assembly, along with all factory stickers and labels still affixed. If you’re looking for a survivor-grade family truckster, this no-reserve listing could be worth a peek.

More: Ford

Spotless Survivor: 1949 Ford F-1 Flatbed Pickup

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

We see quite a number of classic pickups coming across our desks here at Barn Finds, but super clean examples like this 1949 Ford F-1 are a rare treat. This is a vehicle that is in extremely impressive condition and would be well-suited to the person who is hunting for a classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. It is ready to head off to a new home, and the owner has priced this beauty very competitively. It is located in Polk City, Florida, and has been listed for sale here on Barn Finds classifieds. You can park the F1 in your driveway for a mere $15,500.

The Sea Island Green F-1 presents extremely nicely. The paint is consistent and has a nice shine to it, while the panels appear to be free of any noticeable dimples or dents. The vehicle looks to be completely rust-free. Vulnerable areas like the floors and cab corners are extremely solid, and if you check the gallery at the bottom of this article, you will find some photos of the Ford’s underside. The floors look clean enough to eat off. The wheels are painted in the correct body color, while the trim and chrome looks to be in good condition. The same would appear to be true of the majority of the glass, although the passenger side door glass does have a crack right at the top. This has been like this for quite some time, and it is showing no signs of deteriorating beyond its current level. The only aspect of the exterior that the new owner might want to treat with some TLC is the timber in the bed. A couple of pieces are warped and some of the pieces are looking a bit blackened. I would be inclined to remove than and run them through a buzz-plane to return them to a flat and clean look, and then apply a fresh coat of a polyurethane finish. This would have them presenting perfectly once again, and the outlay would be very minimal.

Looking around inside the Ford reveals that the next owner is going to have nothing to do there. The painted surfaces all appear to be spotless, while the vinyl on the seats and door trims seems to be fairly new. The gauges look clean and crisp, with no clouding of the glass, or discoloring of the gauge faces. I’m pretty sure that the rubber mat on the floor is also quite new, and while there aren’t a lot of luxury features to speak of, the heater would be a welcome touch on those colder days. Even the steering wheel looks really good, with no signs of any wear or cracking. With the gear shifter on the column, this F-1 is a true three-seater.

Lifting the hood of the F-1 reveals a tidy and clean 226ci flathead 6-cylinder engine, backed by a 3-speed manual transmission. While this engine might only produce 95hp, its great strength lies in its impressive torque figures. What you get is 180 ft/lbs of torque at an impressively low 1,200rpm. That makes it a very tractable vehicle to drive, and means that it is capable of carting its ½-ton payload pretty easily from very low engine speeds in relatively high gears. In the quest for originality, the Ford retains a very healthy 6-volt electrical system, and the owner states that everything works as it should. The motor starts easily, the F-1 drives well, the transmission shift smoothly, while the brakes pull the vehicle up straight and true. Looking at the photos of the vehicle’s underside indicates that there are no fluid leaks for the next owner to contend with. In addition, the F-1 rolls on a new set of period-correct Firestone tires. Put all of these factors together, and this old classic is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately.

This 1949 Ford F-1 Pickup is an extremely nice vehicle, and it would appear that the new owner is going to score themselves a classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. The only item that the next owner might want to address is the finish of the timber on the bed, but that will be a very inexpensive and straightforward task. Beyond that, it seems to need nothing. It is possible to find the occasional relatively tidy example today for around $17,000, but an F-1 in that sort of price range will generally have some rust issues to be addressed. It would appear that this one hasn’t been afflicted with those sorts of issues. However, from that figure of $17,000, values can shoot off into the stratosphere, and I have seen really nice original examples that have fetched sums in excess of $50,000. At the asking price of $15,500, this one looks like it would be an extremely good buy, so it is to be hoped that someone buys this F-1 who is going to appreciate what a great old classic this is.

More: F1 / Ford / Pickup

Spotless Survivor: 1949 Ford F-1 Flatbed Pickup

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

We see quite a number of classic pickups coming across our desks here at Barn Finds, but super clean examples like this 1949 Ford F-1 are a rare treat. This is a vehicle that is in extremely impressive condition and would be well-suited to the person who is hunting for a classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. It is ready to head off to a new home, and the owner has priced this beauty very competitively. It is located in Polk City, Florida, and has been listed for sale here on Barn Finds classifieds. You can park the F1 in your driveway for a mere $15,500.

The Sea Island Green F-1 presents extremely nicely. The paint is consistent and has a nice shine to it, while the panels appear to be free of any noticeable dimples or dents. The vehicle looks to be completely rust-free. Vulnerable areas like the floors and cab corners are extremely solid, and if you check the gallery at the bottom of this article, you will find some photos of the Ford’s underside. The floors look clean enough to eat off. The wheels are painted in the correct body color, while the trim and chrome looks to be in good condition. The same would appear to be true of the majority of the glass, although the passenger side door glass does have a crack right at the top. This has been like this for quite some time, and it is showing no signs of deteriorating beyond its current level. The only aspect of the exterior that the new owner might want to treat with some TLC is the timber in the bed. A couple of pieces are warped and some of the pieces are looking a bit blackened. I would be inclined to remove than and run them through a buzz-plane to return them to a flat and clean look, and then apply a fresh coat of a polyurethane finish. This would have them presenting perfectly once again, and the outlay would be very minimal.

Looking around inside the Ford reveals that the next owner is going to have nothing to do there. The painted surfaces all appear to be spotless, while the vinyl on the seats and door trims seems to be fairly new. The gauges look clean and crisp, with no clouding of the glass, or discoloring of the gauge faces. I’m pretty sure that the rubber mat on the floor is also quite new, and while there aren’t a lot of luxury features to speak of, the heater would be a welcome touch on those colder days. Even the steering wheel looks really good, with no signs of any wear or cracking. With the gear shifter on the column, this F-1 is a true three-seater.

Lifting the hood of the F-1 reveals a tidy and clean 226ci flathead 6-cylinder engine, backed by a 3-speed manual transmission. While this engine might only produce 95hp, its great strength lies in its impressive torque figures. What you get is 180 ft/lbs of torque at an impressively low 1,200rpm. That makes it a very tractable vehicle to drive, and means that it is capable of carting its ½-ton payload pretty easily from very low engine speeds in relatively high gears. In the quest for originality, the Ford retains a very healthy 6-volt electrical system, and the owner states that everything works as it should. The motor starts easily, the F-1 drives well, the transmission shift smoothly, while the brakes pull the vehicle up straight and true. Looking at the photos of the vehicle’s underside indicates that there are no fluid leaks for the next owner to contend with. In addition, the F-1 rolls on a new set of period-correct Firestone tires. Put all of these factors together, and this old classic is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately.

This 1949 Ford F-1 Pickup is an extremely nice vehicle, and it would appear that the new owner is going to score themselves a classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. The only item that the next owner might want to address is the finish of the timber on the bed, but that will be a very inexpensive and straightforward task. Beyond that, it seems to need nothing. It is possible to find the occasional relatively tidy example today for around $17,000, but an F-1 in that sort of price range will generally have some rust issues to be addressed. It would appear that this one hasn’t been afflicted with those sorts of issues. However, from that figure of $17,000, values can shoot off into the stratosphere, and I have seen really nice original examples that have fetched sums in excess of $50,000. At the asking price of $15,500, this one looks like it would be an extremely good buy, so it is to be hoped that someone buys this F-1 who is going to appreciate what a great old classic this is.

More: F1 / Ford / Pickup
This cool, love to have something like this some day and the Cobra R above is on my list too, :)

Buy, Not Rent, This 1968 Shelby Hertz GT350 Mustang!

Jamie Palmer
Jamie Palmer

The opportunities to purchase a relatively complete, straight and running 1968 Shelby Mustang GT350 are pretty hard to come by. With the auction here on eBay ending so soon for this car, you’d better move quickly. Current bidding is up to $50,000 but hasn’t met the reserve, however, there is a buy it now of $68,000 that actually seems reasonable once you look the pictures over. The car is located in Marysville, Pennsylvania should you need to plan a trip.

When I first saw the car and the price, I figured it was a non-runner. I was wrong! Not only does the engine run (as indicated by the exhaust in this picture) but the numbers-matching engine has been rebuilt! Not only that, but any rust has also already been taken care of, and according to the seller, without “bonding”. (bondo?)

The small amounts of gold you see resemble the original Sunlit Gold color according to the included Marti Report.

Floors have been replaced, as well as the torque boxes. It’s hard to tell the quality of the replacement welding from the pictures, but I don’t see anything that alarms me.

The 302 cubic inch V-8 was plenty of power for this Mustang, and the car was unusually fitted with factory air conditioning. Interestingly, I suspect both the AC and the automatic have to do with this car being sold to Hertz Rent-A-Car originally as part of the well-known “rent-a-racer” program they had with Shelby. As far as I can tell, either 223 or 224 GT350s were produced for Hertz that year, making this a pretty rare car! Hey, if you buy it, can I rent it for a weekend?

More: Ford / Mustang / Shelby

34,000 Original Miles: 1984 Ford Mustang SVO

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1984 Ford Mustang SVO is offered as a low-mileage example that remains in stock condition with its numerous factory upgrades still in place. The SVO wears Silver Metallic paint over a gray cloth interior, a nice change of pace from the usual black or white we see these turbo Fords wearing. SVOs have been quietly mounting a come back in recent years as their performance capabilities continue to impress after years of living in the shadows of the traditional 5.0L V8. As presented here, the SVO exhibits no major flaws and is said to run out well. Find it here on eBay with a Buy-It-Now of $13,500 and the listing ending Saturday afternoon.

The SVO is located in Tuscon, Arizona, which helps to explain its impressive cosmetic condition. The black trim pieces, like the bi-plane spoiler, don’t exhibit any of the typical signs of prolonged sun exposure, which is often the downside to living in dry climates like the Southwest. The car is stock from stem to stern, wearing its original flat-faced alloy wheels and retaining an OEM exhaust system. The SVOs weren’t as prone to the obnoxious upgrades like the V8 cars were, but turning up the boost was likely a constant temptation for some owners. Fortunately, you don’t see any of those tweaks under the hood, and the SVO’s ride height indicates the factory Koni shocks are still in place.

The interior features sport bucket seats with thick bolsters, and the gray cloth and corresponding carpeting appear to be in excellent condition. The same goes for the dashboard, which shows no cracks. The stock three-spoke steering wheel remains in place, and I’m guessing the backseat has seen very little use. The seller notes the SVO is equipped with air conditioning as well as SVO-specific items such as a Hurst shifter, special dash badges, and the somewhat iconic premium fuel switch nicknamed the “Turbo Switch,” which increases the turbo boost by 3 to 4 pounds when toggled to the “Premium Fuel” setting. How cool is that? Aside from some non-matching floormats, all looks good inside.

The engine bay, as mentioned, appears to remain completely stock. This is a good thing, as this drivetrain is the type that welcomes easy, cheap modifications. The SVO featured a top-mount factory intercooler, fed through a functional hood scoop, which reiterates how much of a performance car the SVO was straight out of the box. It’s unfortunate it didn’t get to live on as a regular fixture of the Mustang lineup, but the V8 cars were hard to de-throne as the darlings of the Mustang lineup. The asking price for this nicely preserved SVO is $13,500, with the option to submit a best offer. Would you snag an SVO or hold out for a clean V8 car?

Restoration Commenced: 1970 Ford Mustang Fastback

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

The seller of this 1970 Mustang Fastback is very quick to emphasize that it isn’t a genuine Boss, but that it is a solid and complete car just waiting for someone to complete the restoration that the current owner has commenced. This appears to be a solid car, and the rust that is left for the new owner to address seems to be quite minor. The Mustang is located in Oxford, Mississippi, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $8,600, and with the reserve now met, the Mustang is ready to head off to a new home.

The Candyapple Red Mustang is a pretty solid looking car. The paint itself is showing its age, but external rust is pretty limited. There is some present in both doors, but the owner is including a very clean set of original doors in the sale. There is also rust present in the hood, rear quarter panels, and the trunk drop-offs. Having said that, the rust in the quarter panels doesn’t look particularly bad, and the new owner might even be able to address this with patches rather than full panel replacement. The floors have all been recently replaced, as has the battery apron. The rest of the prone areas like the shock towers, the rockers, and the frame rails are said to be solid. The trim and chrome generally look good, and I suspect that the vast majority of this would respond well to a good polish. The glass also looks like it is all in good condition.

The drivetrain of the Mustang consists of a 302ci V8 engine, a 4-speed manual transmission, and a 9″ rear end. The motor wears a 4-barrel Holley carburetor, as well as a set of long-tube headers. The 302 is said to run well and doesn’t blow any smoke. However, it does have a vibration of some description, and it isn’t clear where this is coming from. The car does drive, and the transmission shifts smoothly. The Mustang doesn’t currently feature operating brakes, so the new owner will be taking it away on a trailer. The engine and its surroundings look very clean and tidy, but the vibration really has me intrigued. My first thought is that it could be something as simple as a faulty harmonic balancer. If so, then that’s an easy fix. Any ideas?

The Mustang’s interior is generally tidy and serviceable, but it could definitely benefit from a refresh when the rest of the restoration is performed. It features a folding rear seat, and while the covers on the seats appear to be free of rips or tears, they just look tired. The same is true of the door trims, and while the dash looks good, the pad does have a pretty large crack in it. The headliner is missing, and it is hard to see the state of the carpet. Given the potential value of the vehicle once restored, I feel that an interior trim kit would be money well spent.

We see our share of Mustang project cars here at Barn Finds, and some of the prices on these can be pretty outrageous. I guess that it comes down to that old adage about supply and demand. The reality is that Ford built plenty of Mustangs, but with so many having met their maker over the years, the market seems capable of supporting those sorts of prices on an ongoing basis. This Mustang is definitely going to require a full restoration, but at least the bidding hasn’t become stratospheric at this point. The desirability of 1st Generation Mustangs, coupled to what appears to be a car where bidding is remaining within a realistic range, would probably help to explain why there are currently 183 people watching the listing. It makes me ponder two points. The first of these is whether the bidding will remain within its current region, or whether it will take off. The second is whether any of our readers will feel inclined to bid on this classic.

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang

Tornado Find: Ford Mustang II Cobra II

Bruce Johnson
Bruce Johnson

We appreciate Paul H. bringing this cute little Cobra II to our our attention. It is actually our first “Tornado Find” as a recent tornado in the Midwest took the garage or barn away and left the Mustang II. As can be seen here on Facebook, the person that posted the pic stated that the “Tornado took the house but left the car. Even God doesn’t want a Mustang II….!” This is a 1976 Ford Mustang II Cobra II hatchback which were built between 1976-1978. Besides the dirt, it doesn’t look in too bad of shape.

Most enthusiasts either love or hate these little cars. Ford introduced the smaller and more fuel efficient Mustang II in 1974. It was a tremendous sales success even though it was based on the Ford Pinto. In the first year of production, 385,993 Mustangs were produced. The Mustang II was shortened by 19 inches and the car lost almost 500 lbs compared to the prior model.

The Mustang II Cobras with 302 cubic inch V8 engines produced 140 horsepower from the factory! You can tell that this car is equipped with a 302 cubic inch V8 engine because all Mustang II’s, except the King Cobra, had a “V8” emblem on each front fender above the reflector. The Mustang II was a sales success selling over 1 million cars from 1974-1978. What do you think of when you see this picture?

More: 302 V / 302 V8 / Cobra II / Ford Mustang Cobra II / Mustang II

Tidy Survivor: 1968 Ford F-100 Ranger

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

The owner of this 1968 Ford F-100 Ranger says that it is no trailer queen, but that it is a tidy survivor. This Raven Black beauty would benefit from a light cosmetic restoration, but if the next owner didn’t feel inclined to undertake that sort of work, then it could be driven proudly as it currently stands. With classic pickups continuing to grow in popularity, I’m not surprised that the bidding has been quite strong. However, it does still remain in the sort of territory that makes it an affordable proposition. The F-100 is located in Holiday, Florida, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has made it to $7,100, and with the reserve now met, a new home isn’t far away for this old beauty.

The F-100 looks quite good from a distance, but when you get closer, you can see that the Raven Black paint is really showing its age. This is particularly obvious along the body-line just above the side strips, where there is also some evidence of corrosion beginning to form. It would probably be a smart idea for the next owner to address this quite quickly because, in overall terms, this old Ford is too nice to let go to wrack-and-ruin. There is some rust in the bottom of the tailgate, but this would appear to be the only penetrating rust in the entire vehicle. Even this should be pretty easy to address with patches because it hasn’t advanced too far. The panels themselves look to be nice and straight, with no signs of any significant dings or dents. The underside of the vehicle wears a coating of surface corrosion, but it still looks solid. There is some corrosion visible around the door hinges, so it might be worth the effort to inspect and treat this before it can deteriorate. The owner has had the good sense to fit a plastic bed-liner to the vehicle, and while I am a strong advocate for these, I would still be inclined to remove it just to check that all is well beneath it. If everything looks okay, then it is an easy matter to refit it. The condition of the trim and chrome is well above average for a workhorse of this age, while the glass also appears to be in good condition.

With a 360ci V8 under the hood, this old Ford has 215hp at its disposal. That should make it a pretty respectable sort of tow vehicle, and easily able to cart its intended ½-ton payload. Backing the 360 is a 3-speed manual transmission, while there is no power assistance for either the steering or brakes. The engine bay looks nice and clean, but this isn’t all about appearances. The F-100 has recently received a new fuel tank and sending unit, a new aluminum radiator, and 4 new tires. The fuel pump has been replaced, while the engine also wears a new carburetor with a manual choke. The shifter for the transmission was a bit baulky, but a new set of shifter bushes has fixed that issue. With that list of work completed that leaves nothing for the next owner to do, because the F-100 is said to run and drive well.

The interior of the Ford looks to be in really good condition and is free of the sorts of wear and tear that can afflict a workhorse. There is a radio/cassette player fitted to the dash, but otherwise, the interior remains original. There is some wear on the rim of the wheel, but there is little else in the way of wear inside the vehicle. Some of the plastic is showing the sort of discoloring that comes with age, but there really is nothing for the next owner to do but to vacuum the carpets, give everything a wipe over with a cloth, and then hit the road.

This 1968 F-100 Ranger isn’t perfect, but it does appear to be honest. There is no doubt that it would respond really well to a light cosmetic restoration, but it is a vehicle that has no immediate or urgent needs. Even as it currently stands, it is a classic pickup that is sure to attract plenty of attention wherever it goes. The popularity of these pickups is continuing to grow, so if this one stacks up when given a personal inspection, it could potentially be quite a good thing to own.

More: F-100 Ranger / Ford

No Reserve: 1966 Ford Fairlane 500 XL

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

At some point in time, this 1966 Fairlane 500 XL is going to require some restoration work and rust repairs, but the good news is that the vehicle does appear to be structurally sound. That means that the next owner could choose to drive and enjoy the car immediately, and then undertake the restoration work as time and circumstances allow. With warmer weather just around the corner, that could prove to be a winning combination. Just think, you could enjoy the car during Summer, then have a great project to tackle during the Winter months. The Fairlane is located in Woodbury, New Jersey, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $4,600 in what is a No Reserve auction.

The Candyapple Red Fairlane has received a repaint at some point in the past, and the owner indicates that there is some evidence of previous repairs of some type. Unfortunately, he doesn’t specify which areas might be affected by this. Having said that, the panel gaps seem to be nice and consistent, which is always an encouraging sign. Now, there is some rust for the next owner to address, and the current owner is quite candid about what he can see. There are some spots visible in some of the lower body extremities, but none of this looks particularly bad. The news isn’t quite as good with the floors, because there is some rust there that will require attention. The owner states that he believes that the floors could potentially be repaired with patches, but that the buyer should probably be better served if they replace the floor pans in their entirety. It isn’t clear whether there is any rust in the cowl, but the rear window has apparently been leaking for an extended period. That means that there is a fair chance that there will be rust in that area, along with rust in the trunk pan. The majority of the glass is in good condition, but a significant crack in the windshield means that this will require replacement. All of the trim and chrome appears to be present, and most of this looks like it is in reasonable condition. What is interesting is the fact that the owner has tried cleaning the paint in one spot, and it looks like the car might respond really well to a buff and polish.

The Fairlane’s interior is a bit of a pleasant surprise, because by-and-large, it does present quite nicely. Bucket seats and a console are nice inclusions, and while the owner states that the driver’s seat will require some minor repairs, this is hard to spot in the supplied photos. The passenger seat looks good, while the owner says that the rear seat and headliner are both spot-on. The door trims are looking slightly tired, but I think that the vinyl could be stretched back into shape. The dash and pad look really nice, and it would appear that the only items that might require replacement are the water-damaged rear parcel tray, along with the armrests.

The buyer of the Fairlane will find themselves with a car that comes equipped with a 289ci V8, a 3-speed automatic transmission, along with power steering. The Fairlane had been sitting for some time before the current owner purchased it, so he flushed the fuel system, dropped in a battery, and the 289 roared back into life. He says that the donut on the driver’s side exhaust manifold leaks when the car is cold, but this seems to take-up as the metal expands. Once this happens, the car sounds nice through its dual exhaust. He believes that the brakes have had some work done in the past, because some of the lines look new, as does the dual master cylinder. The car now runs and drives, with the power steering and transmission working as they should. He does feel that the brakes might still require some attention, as one of the rears does grab. However, for the person who is keen to hit the road ASAP, it seems like it will be a case of giving the car a decent inspection, check the brakes, replace the leaking donut, and they should be good to go.

This 1966 Fairlane 500 XL has the potential to be a very nice car, but it isn’t a car that has the potential to be worth mega-dollars. A meticulous restoration could potentially see the final value somewhere up around the $25,000 mark, or possibly a little higher. That means that as a restoration project, it would be well suited to an individual who can undertake the vast majority of the work for themselves if it is to remain financially viable. However, a person who doesn’t have the required metalworking skills could still be okay if they were willing to perform the more mundane tasks such as dismantling, cleaning, and assembly for themselves. It certainly makes it something to think about.

More: 500 XL / Fairlane / Ford

Retro Cool: 1962 Ford Econoline Custom

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

When I first saw this 1962 Ford Econoline, my immediate thought was that it was a beautifully-preserved older custom build. It isn’t. What this vehicle represents is a freshly finished retro-custom project that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. The attention to detail is extremely impressive, and there is no doubt that it is a vehicle capable of knocking people’s socks off at any car show. After putting all of the hard work into creating this unique vehicle, the owner has decided to part with it. That means that his loss could potentially be your gain. The Econoline is located in Dayton, Ohio, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $23,600, but the reserve hasn’t been met. Interest is high on this cool classic, and there are currently 187 people who are watching the listing.

Any sort of custom build is going to be that much easier if the owner can start the process with a straight and rust-free vehicle, and that is what the owner found themselves with here. It really is hard to know where to start with on this one, so I’ll tackle practicality first. The owner has obviously decided that the next owner might want to have more than just a show-stopper, so a bed-liner has been fitted. This means that the next owner can at least throw things in the bed without fear of doing any damage. The panels appear to be arrow-straight, while all of the chrome and trim looks to be in superb condition. Speaking of superb, just check out that paint! This work was all completed by the owner, and the Candy Gold and Candy Red combination is always going to be a winner. The graphics are so reminiscent of the late 1960s and early 1970s, and the consistency of the work is really impressive. The red headlamp covers probably aren’t that practical, but when combined with the red window tint, they tie the whole thing together quite well. Having said that, these features will probably come under the heading of “an acquired taste,” and there will be some readers who would want to remove them. That’s fair enough because it does come down to personal preference. The white zoomie headers add a real touch of toughness to the exterior, and I’m betting would make the Econoline sound pretty amazing. About the only thing that I don’t really like is the mismatched wheels. I like both types that are fitted to the Ford, and if I bought the vehicle, I would try to match the wheels on either end. I’m just not sure which ones I would choose to go with!

The custom work continued inside the Econoline, and as is the case with the exterior, there are plenty of retro touches to be seen. The seats are from a 1965 Mustang, and they, along with the door trims, have been treated to white tuck ‘n’ roll upholstery. The white headliner is also a custom item, with the white theme continuing onto the leather-wrapped steering wheel, while new carpet graces the floor. The upholstery work is slightly rough around the edges, especially on the door trims. Having said that, I don’t think that it would take a lot of time or effort to have it presenting perfectly. The dash is once again a work of retro custom and is machine-turned aluminum. There is also a huge cluster of gauges to monitor the health of the vehicle, along with a B&M shifter. That’s probably the only item that I don’t like inside the Ford, but once again, that’s a matter of personal preference.

I guess that there’s really no point building a vehicle for “show” if it doesn’t have a little “go,” and the Econoline does okay in that department. The original motor has made way for a Summit 302 V8, which is backed by a Ford “Monster” automatic transmission and a 9″ rear end. Those are all bulletproof items, and that means that this Ford should be extremely reliable. There is also an aluminum radiator to keep things cool, while the front brakes have been upgraded to discs. Given the fact that this is a fresh build, it doesn’t have a heap of miles on it. However, the owner has taken it out for a spin (who could blame him?), and the Econoline sits on 75mph on the open road with no dramas at all. When I look at all of this, I can’t help wondering just how good that 302 must sound through the amazing headers. Included with the vehicle is a substantial collection of receipts and invoices that verify the work on the drivetrain. Those alone total over $10,000 and that doesn’t include any of the costs for the paint and interior work.

I’m not ashamed to say that I really like this 1962 Ford Econoline. It harks back to a simpler time and captures the retro look exceptionally well. It is a turn-key vehicle that is ready to be driven and enjoyed. The owner hasn’t had the opportunity to show the Ford at this point and is leaving that honor to the new owner. Is this a custom that takes your fancy? It certainly takes mine.

More: Custom / econoline / Ford / Pickup

SHARETWEET

Worth every penny of the asking price IMHO.

Carport Find: 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Imagine driving by a carport for years, being aware that a car remains parked in the back with a tarp on it – and wondering what it was. Is it something worth owning? Is it a terribly common vehicle? Is it a basketcase, or eminently restorable? These questions and more may have been floating around the minds of whomever found this pretty 1966 Ford Mustang Fastback just like you see here in a Florida carport, where it had lived with the same female owner for over 40 years. Hopefully, she was paid a fair price for keeping it in what looks like outstanding condition. Find the car here on Facebook Marketplace with an asking price of $34,500.

Fortunately, with the tarp removed, the news was good: a 1966 Mustang Fastback, factory C-code car with the (running) 289 paired to a four speed manual transmission. The list of optional equipment is steep, as this Mustang comes with the upgraded Pony interior, center console, Rally Pac, factory A/C, power steering, styled steel wheels, fog/driving lights, dual exhaust, and more. As you can see from this photo of the Mustang uncovered, it remains in shockingly good condition despite presumably being stowed under a tarp for years. The seller notes it was repainted once, approximately 30 years ago.

Even if it has been repainted, I would still expect the paint to look far more tired than it does in these photos. Perhaps the tarp was just put on for effect, as long-term storage under cover like that can sometimes caused unexpected paint damage. I just don’t see it here, but it’s also impossible to say from the other side of a computer screen whether there are any flaws up close. Regardless, the seller claims he is not detailing the car so the next owner can experience that awesome “barn find” finish first-hand. However, if it doesn’t sell at the current price, he is going to take the listing down, fully detail the car, and then re-list it at a higher price.

That said, I don’t see too much detailing needed based on the photos. The interior looks to be holding up just as well as the outside, provided there’s been no significant rodent intrusion – but I don’t think mice are as eager to find a warm place to hide in Florida as they are up north. The color combination is as good as it gets, and the seller confirms that the interior is indeed all original. There’s no rust in the floors, and believe it or not, the seller claims the Mustang was on its way home from a local car show just before entering its 40 year sleep. I wonder what argument occurred on the way home that led to this awesome muscle car being parked?

BF Success Story: 1991 Ford Taurus SHO Roadtrips to IL

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery
Image courtesy of Zach Gilbert
Here’s an uplifting story in a sea of bad news: a reader has purchased the recent Barn Finds Exclusive listing for a super clean 1991 Ford Taurus SHO. Zach Gilbert posted an epic roadtrip story on the Facebook group page Underappreciated Survivors detailing how he snagged the SHO after reading a post on this site about a supremely rusty Toyota pickup. Once done with the article, he moseyed on over to the Barn Finds classifieds listings and began working out the details with another reader that had the SHO up for sale. The rest, as they say, is history.

Zach notes he convinced a buddy to make the trip with him after negotiating a deal over the phone for the SHO. He bought the car sight unseen and booked air travel from Illinois to Washington State, where the SHO resided. Obviously, doing this sort of thing can be nerve-wracking, but feeling out the seller over the phone can help either absolve or confirm your feelings about the owner’s trustworthiness. Fortunately for Zach, all went well over the phone and the SHO was as-described upon laying eyes on it for the first time.
Obviously, based on the photos, Zach found plenty of interesting roadside attractions to take in, but there was plenty of monotonous highway travel, too. The SHO performed almost flawlessly, and Zach noted he “….averaged 90-100mph @ 26mpg from Washington to Illinois, where the roads get rougher and the speed limit slows down, and of course, the tolls. Cruised at 75-85 the rest of the way.” Obviously, the SHO of any generation makes for an excellent highway cruiser, and in this instance, Zach got a very affordable Q-ship with a five-speed manual gearbox.
Issues were few, with the starter failing somewhere in Indiana (he bump-started it the rest of the way home) and the shifter cables disintegrating two miles from his destination once back in Illinois. Overall, the SHO performed flawlessly, an impressive feat for an old-school enthusiast’s car purchased without even so much as a PPI. Zach seems to love the SHO, and indicates it will remain in his personal collection for some time to come. Congrats to buyer and seller!
List your car here on Barn Finds for only $50!

More: Ford

Back