2019 California Special Race Red

Some of the good local storage spots here are also filling early even with a significant price increase - some in the 20-30% range.
I guess that garage expansion project will pay off after all !
Mine went up to $600 from $500 last year

I have been putting it away mid October VS end of October for a few years now as we would get some snow here last week of October when I was putting it away at end of month

I looked at the stock PZero a few weeks ago and realized at just over 30000KM I needed new tires this upcoming summer. I jacked the car up, set it on Jack stands and proceeded to take the wheels off. Man those security nuts that ford puts on are a absolute garbage. Torqued at 150lbs doesn’t help. The tool allowed me to remove 2 of them but then it decide to break. So if you ever run into this issue here is a trick I found online. Buy a 21mm 12 spline socket and beat it onto the outside of the nut then spin it off. I ended up using 2 sockets as the first one broke but I was still able to spin it off. When I bought the car last spring the tires were decent. I knew I needed some soon though. At some point this summer I think my alignement may have went bad as the 2 fronts are really wore badly on the inside edges. I will get that fixed in the spring.
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Reviews are great. Jason put a set on his last summer and loves them. Will drop the wheels off tomorrow.

Before I put the wheels back on I will be installing some spacers and cleaning up the inside of the wheel wells since I have them off.

Oh and I ordered 20 brand new nuts. No security nuts going back on this time.

IMG_0647.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

IMG_0801.jpeg

IMG_0802.jpeg

IMG_0803.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Good thing you got them off, I hate the Ford OEM lug nuts, they're junk. I really like the solid Gorilla lugs, much better.

Interesting to see similar wear on the inside shoulder of your tires, had the same issue again on mine, but it was the negative camber.

Congrats on the new tires, nice to have the space and equipment to do this kind of a job during these winter months.

Good excuse to wax/ceramic coat the inside of the wheels when you've got them off and all cleaned up !!!!

Yah, those security nuts are garbage.

If you have moderate to pronounced negative camber, which you probably do.
Something close to -1.0 degree of camber.
Could be .07, .08 or .09, or even more like 1.1 or 1.2, you want the toe to be closed very slightly to counter that front inner wear.

Only like .02 to .04 of a degree each side.
Sweet spot probably .03.
Upper end with more neg. camber and lower end with less neg. camber.

Request this from the alignment guy.
Don’t let him tell you it’s all good because everything is in the green.

Because factory recommendation on these cars in 0.0 of toe, so no toe.

Problem with that is as soon as you tweak your front end on a bad pothole or aggressive bridge expansion joint the front wants to open and you’re back to wearing the insides.

Having closed slightly is a bit of insurance against that.
And while it’s closed, combined with the negative camber, it acts to make the tire roll flat for even wear.

The minute it opens up it runs primarily on inside shoulders.

This is reason I get alignment checked every summer.

In person, I can demonstrate with my hands to help understand.

I believe the AS4 is the replacement for the Super Sport, or a very close sibling.
Identical tread wear, heat dissipation and traction ratings anyway.
You should like them and you’ll notice big improvement over those OE hoops.

I haven’t tried the AS4’s but I have the Super Sport on the ‘15 and love them.
A real solid tire.

I looked at the stock PZero a few weeks ago and realized at just over 30000KM I needed new tires this upcoming summer. I jacked the car up, set it on Jack stands and proceeded to take the wheels off. Man those security nuts that ford puts on are a absolute garbage. Torqued at 150lbs doesn’t help. The tool allowed me to remove 2 of them but then it decide to break. So if you ever run into this issue here is a trick I found online. Buy a 21mm 12 spline socket and beat it onto the outside of the nut then spin it off. I ended up using 2 sockets as the first one broke but I was still able to spin it off. When I bought the car last spring the tires were decent. I knew I needed some soon though. At some point this summer I think my alignement may have went bad as the 2 fronts are really wore badly on the inside edges. I will get that fixed in the spring.
I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4. Reviews are great. Jason put a set on his last summer and loves them. Will drop the wheels off tomorrow.

Before I put the wheels back on I will be installing some spacers and cleaning up the inside of the wheel wells since I have them off.

Oh and I ordered 20 brand new nuts. No security nuts going back on this time.

View attachment 62654

View attachment 62655

View attachment 62657

View attachment 62658

Can’t Go Wrong with the Michelins 👍

Yeah I am not going to lie I was worried for a bit I wasn’t going to get them off. Glad the hack from online worked lol.

Marc, yeah some of what you describe to me is a little Greek. Lol it makes sense with your detailed description Thanks for the pointers. I always just get it aligned and don’t worry about it. Which I definitely will bring it in as soon as it hits the road in the spring. I don’t want to ruin these prematurely

Yeah I heard good things about these tires so figured why not. Like mentioned above they will be way better than the stock PZero’s.

Back