2019 California Special Race Red

Interesting . That sucks though. So they haven’t updated the inspections to match the law? That sucks. What I posted above is an extract from the actual law as of fall of 2022 I believe. Here is the complete one from the NB site

Obstruction of driver's view
238(1)No person shall operate on a highway a motor vehicle
(a) with any non-transparent material on the front windshield, side wings or side or rear windows of such vehicle, or
(b) having on the exterior or in the interior thereof, any ornament or other thing
that obstructs or is liable to obstruct the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway.
238(1.1)Subject to subsection (1.11), no person shall place or install in or on the front windshield of a motor vehicle or in or on the side wings or side windows to the right or the left of the driver of a motor vehicle any colour spray or other coloured material or any opaque or reflective material that may
(a) obstruct the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway, or
(b) substantially obscure the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle.
238(1.11)No person shall place or install in or on the front windshield of a motor vehicle or in or on the side wings or side windows to the right or the left side of the driver of a motor vehicle, any colour spray or other coloured material or any opaque or reflective material that prevents more than thirty per cent of any light from passing through in either direction when measured by a photometer.
238(1.2)Subsections (1.1) and (1.11) do not apply in relation to the installation of front windshields, side wings or side windows during the initial construction or assembly of the motor vehicle nor to the replacement of windshields, side wings or side windows with equivalents to those installed during the initial construction or assembly.
238(1.3)Subject to subsection (1.4), no person shall operate on a highway a motor vehicle
(a) on which the front windshield, or the side wings or side windows to the right or the left of the driver, have been treated, coated or covered with a colour spray or other coloured material or any opaque or reflective material in such a manner as to obstruct the driver’s clear view of the highway or any intersecting highway, or
(b) on which the front windshield, or the side wings or side windows to the right or left of the driver, have been treated, coated or covered with a colour spray or other coloured material or any opaque or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle.
238(1.4)No person shall operate on a highway a motor vehicle on which the front windshield, or the side wings or side windows to the right or the left of the driver, have been treated, coated or covered with a colour spray or other coloured material or any opaque or reflective material that prevents more than thirty per cent of any light from passing through in either direction when measured by a photometer.
238(2)The windshield on every motor vehicle shall be equipped with a device for cleaning rain, snow, or moisture from the windshield, which device shall be so constructed as to be controlled or operated by the driver of the vehicle.
238(3)Every windshield wiper upon a motor vehicle shall be maintained in good working order.

Factory Glass is already Tinted at 29%.

The legal limit for front side windows and windshield in NB is 30%.

So anything added puts you over the limit.

What Fred said.
It’s the law enforcement equivalent of a Readers’s Digest version.

And likely what is putting Al over the top.
Any coloured film over the factory 28-29% window puts you over for colour.

The ceramic UV and heat blockers make a lot of sense though.
Same technology as sun and safety glasses.
Some glasses can be clear lens but 100% UV protection like the tinted glasses.
Give you heat and UV protection without making your glass any or much darker.

For the windows behind the driver, you could block them with cardboard or paint them and you’re still legal.

"law enforcement friendly tint" may not have been exactly what I meant.

I was merely alluding to the fact that a lighter tint on the driver/passenger side windows makes you less likely to get pulled over for it.

I forgot New Brunswick has regular vehicle inspection renewals, baffles me why Ontario doesn't do that.

My truck has factory tint on the rear windows, did the side windows the same and have never had an issue, car is tinted the same.

However, if I was pulled over and the officer took exception with the tint, I might have to remove it from the side windows.

Environmental factors play a role too...... overcast day can make it appear a lot darker than a sunny day.

I missed the ceramic part, thats pretty cool over the film tint I've got.

Yes exactly Marc. There are clear UV films and tinted. The film looked basically clear when we looked at it to the eye however I still lost a bit when the film was applied. No question. Maybe the average is 28-30 factory tint when it starts but I can guarantee my car wasn’t there. I was in the teens 17% I believe. I think I saw 83 on the gauge when he showed me.

Maybe the margin of error is bigger. Who knows. Maybe Ford changed suppliers for glass and it was different in 2019. I guess anyone interested in doing it should check with a shop and they can check it before hand and let you know. Simple 2 second process. I was skeptical as well.

"law enforcement friendly tint" may not have been exactly what I meant.

I was merely alluding to the fact that a lighter tint on the driver/passenger side windows makes you less likely to get pulled over for it.

I forgot New Brunswick has regular vehicle inspection renewals, baffles me why Ontario doesn't do that.

My truck has factory tint on the rear windows, did the side windows the same and have never had an issue, car is tinted the same.

However, if I was pulled over and the officer took exception with the tint, I might have to remove it from the side windows.

Environmental factors play a role too...... overcast day can make it appear a lot darker than a sunny day.

I missed the ceramic part, thats pretty cool over the film tint I've got.
Yeah good points there. The inspections here don’t help that’s for sure. Ceramic tint is relatively new technology for us around here. Seems to be the hype now. Last longer and doesn’t change Colors as well so that’s a bonus.

What Fred said.
It’s the law enforcement equivalent of a Readers’s Digest version.

And likely what is putting Al over the top.
Any coloured film over the factory 28-29% window puts you over for colour.

The ceramic UV and heat blockers make a lot of sense though.
Same technology as sun and safety glasses.
Some glasses can be clear lens but 100% UV protection like the tinted glasses.
Give you heat and UV protection without making your glass any or much darker.

For the windows behind the driver, you could block them with cardboard or paint them and you’re still legal.
Wonder why guy s on motorcycle with full face with black shield never had issues and still ride on the highway wonder whats the difference .from side tint windows.

The motorcycle they may not see his eyes but they know how many people that are on the motorcycle they are pulling over. They want to know who they are walking up to. Safety issue which I completely understand. That’s why I opted for the very light ceramic since in NB you can still apply a film. Sun and fabric protection and they can still see driver and if I have a passenger.

Strange how the laws all across Canada vary on this though.

Depends on what the intent of the law is..... my $.02....part of it protects law enforcement approaching the car and being able to see whether or not the driver is holding a 9mm. The other consideration is how well the driver can see to drive, such that the limo black tint may obstruct your view of the surroundings.

Jesus H, some people can't even drive when they're looking out clear windows.

:LOL: Same time posted !!!

Actually, having been in that world on the west coast and here in NB, when these tint laws were enacted the governments didn’t really do it for law enforcement protection.

Now Ontario may stand on higher ground and claim they did.

The jurisdictions I’m familiar with did it for motor vehicle safety reasons.
The one Mike mentioned.
To maintain good or reasonable visibility on the part of the drivers.
Driving at night is a good example.

Another one is so drivers can make eye contact with each other at intersections, for example.
Remember driver’s Ed. classes where one of the lessons was to make eye contact with other drivers at uncontrolled intersections or 4 way stops, so you can confirm the other driver sees you and you can proceed safely.

The driver examiner at the DMV is of that same driver’s Ed. mentality and background.
That influences policy and government decisions.

Protecting police would have been far behind that.

Now in recent years where several police have been shot on duty in this great country of ours, it sets the table for all to speculate or claim that the law exists to protect police.

If the law was really to protect police and if police were consulted on the matter, the law would prevent blacking out the windows behind the driver as well.

Because one of the most vulnerable positions for LE when conducting a traffic stop is that 15-20 ft from the police car to the stopped vehicle driver’s door.

That’s where it’s critical for police to see what’s in the car.
When you’re walking up to it from your police car.

So I wasn't really looking for any more mods for the 2019 however in the back of my mind I was wanting a Light Bar for it at some point. It's a mod I did to the 01 and I love how it looked. So I was looking on Kijiji accross Canada as I always do for fun a few weeks ago. I found a brand new one located in Calgary at very good price. I was speaking to my son and said man I wish you were closer to Calgary as he is in Regina. He said that his Fiancé and Mother where going there on the weekend. So long story short they picked it up for me. Last week I flew out there to help them move back home and we brought the bar in the truck with us. Like I said the bar was brand new and still in the original packaging minus the box it came in.

Last night I decided to tackle the project. They say install takes about 2 hours, so I took almost twice that much as I was taking my time to make sure I didn't damage any panels or drill at the wrong spot. Install went pretty good with a couple of small hiccups.

Here is the before and after. I love the look

I did score a Love the Drive Windscreen to use with the light bar from a guy in Amherst. They are different then the one that are used without the light bar. I will install that one tonight.

I think I am done with the mods now.HAHA

bar0.jpg
bar1.jpgbar2.jpgbar3.jpgbar4.jpgbar5.jpgbar6.jpgbar7.jpgbar8.jpgbar9.jpgbar10.jpgbar12.jpg

Back