2019 - 2020 NHL Season.

Things are tight across the NHL, a few teams have almost already put themselves
out of a playoff spot, but the rest are not a big gap.
A couple of teams, starting off very hot, would have to get bad quick
to be out, everyone else is still tight.
As we come on the 20 game mark, which traditionally
gives you and idea what you have for a team.

Hutchinson gets the boot. After 5 starts (all the second game of back to back) they decide he isn't the answer. Well it's hard to find a backup goalie that will stand on his head like Andersen does. Another attempt to fix what's wrong without fixing what's wrong lol.

Don Cherry got the boot also, for speaking up for veterans.
the snow flakes win, what's ironic, the snow flakes win because
of the sacrifices of those who serve, gives them a voice they would not have otherwise.

Sports net will likely be happy as another large salary dump,
Bob Mcown gone, Doug Maclean, Nick Kyreos, John Shannon.

All highly paid and very experienced people.
Guess the billion dollar deal wasn't so great.

Us in Canada have 2 choices which makes it difficult.
but for me TSN will be my main source of sports news
after the latest development.

No he was fired for his racist comments about immigrants not wearing poppies. Interestingly neither his poppy nor his blazer were Royal Canadian Legion supplied

Last edited:
Rich06;n35008 said:
No he was fired for his racist comments about immigrants not wearing poppies. Interestingly neither his poppy nor his blazer were Royal Canadian Legion supplied

he referenced "you people" in his words later said anyone not wearing a poppy.
Yes he mentioned milk and honey, hence new immigrants. He live in Mississauga and works in Toronto.
He referred what he saw. the majority of people in these areas are not wearing a poppy, in his mind supporting veterans.

His poppy was created by a the Indigenous group of Veterans and was a gift to him.
For those who don't know, his 2nd wife was an immigrant of Polish decent.

He is old and might not be political correct, IMO every Canadian as he said " buy a poppy for two bucks"
is correct, show a little respect I think and yes "new Immigrants should also"
this quote was from my wife a new Canadian.

Didn't know that about his poppy. What he said "You people … that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," he said. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price." Notice he said you people that come here ie immigrants, not you people who don't wear a poppy

Rich06;n35010 said:
Didn't know that about his poppy. What he said "You people … that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," he said. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price." Notice he said you people that come here ie immigrants, not you people who don't wear a poppy

Yes he did say that, I was actually watching it. he also said everyone should buy a poppy.
He also said poppy sales are way down this year, it helps support legions which helps
with programs to support Veterans. He also said big cities, most folks don't wear them.
In small towns across Canadian the majority of people do.

People choose the remark and decided what it actually meant.
Today he said he would not apologize for his remarks,
he believes everyone should buy a poppy.

Anyone here can call him a racist and focus on this, that is fine.
By doing this you also miss the fact that what he said is true.
IMO people can buy a poppy and remember. support our veterans and people who serve today.
Of course because of these people, you also have the freedoms to not support and remember.
Each person has their own choice to make.

Below is the quote he spoke today.

“I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on Coach’s Corner Nov. 9,” Cherry told Warmington. “No problem.”

“I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

“I speak the truth and I walk the walk,” he said. “I have visited the bases of the troops, been to Afghanistan with our brave soldiers at Christmas, been to cemeteries of our fallen around the world and honoured our fallen troops on Coach’s Corner.”

“To keep my job, I cannot be turned into a tamed robot,” said Cherry." I would have liked to continue doing Coach’s Corner. The problem is if I have to watch everything I say, it isn’t Coach’s Corner.”

“I want to thank everyone who has watched Coach’s Corner over the last 35 years,” he said.

His final message.

“Remember to wear your poppy to honour our fallen soldiers … Thumbs up.”

Another quote, by Don Cherry today.

For his part, Cherry denied that his comments targeted any particular group.

“It could have been anybody, it could have been Irish, it could have been the Scots, it could have been the English, it could have been anybody,” Cherry said.

He added he stands by his insistence that everyone should wear a poppy.

“What I meant was everybody, everybody and I mean everybody should be wearing a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers who gave their lives for our way of life.”

Last edited:
Ya, he also said “if I can’t be myself on TV, then there’s no point in being on TV.”

In today’s age of Political Correctness I guess there is no place for Dinosaurs like him, sad, but the reality we face. In real Hockey news, Habs are host to Blue Jackets and Florida Panthers are in Boston. Go Habs Go !:FordSmile

What he (Cherry) said later doesn't matter, his original statement was aimed at immigrants, more specifically non-white immigrants. There's no way anyone can convince me otherwise.

FWIW the RCL doesn't charge for poppies, they give them away hoping that people will make a donation in return, there is a charge for the metal pins, bracelets and other items. I was given a $20.00 for one poppy when I was delivering more poppies to the Enfield Circle K the other day, I told the guy that I couldn't make change and he said no, that's what he wanted to give, so I said thank-you

Eastern Conference Standings :

1 Bruins
2 Canadiens
3. Panthers
4 Leafs

Toronto has dropped 2 positions and Montreal moved up 1. :FordSmile

2001BlackGTvert;n35038 said:
Although I like the standings we all know it is too early to get hung up on them. Lol

True, but every point earned now counts at the end of the regular season. And Habs only missed Playoffs by 2 points last year.

Montreal made it hard on themselves early, Price played another very good game.
Give them credit they don't quit and it payed off in 2 points.
I believe its going to be another close race for playoffs this year,
so every point counts.

Back