Thought of the day.

Random thought of the day :

After 15000 some odd combined km with both F150 versions of the 3.5L EB ( regular and high output ) , don't believe the hype that you get better mileage with the V6.

Real world numbers with the 3.5L are the same, or worse, than what I got with the 6.2L V8, and that was in a truck that was 500 lbs heavier.

First world problems, don't buy a truck and complain about gas mileage, but it has been interesting to observe and compare in an apples to apples comparison.

Much like the 2014, I'm loving every minute of it.

Agreed but would add the following context.

For a large portion of population (not necessarily the majority), that use their XLT or Lariat in stock form and on stock tire sizes, no trailers and normal conservative driving.
They will get very good mileage, in part I suspect because they don’t dip into the full potential of the turbos.

But, add a levelling kit and bigger tires, and or a trailer, or just someone with a heavier foot, and that is out the window, because turbos work more and the more they work, the more they drink.
The raptor kind of falls in here with 35 inch tires and higher off the ground aerodynamics. And, 3.73 gears as opposed to 3.31’s or 3.55’s.

I’m on my second EB and I love it but not for fuel economy. I have never claimed here nor in the real world that it was good on gas.
I love the torque when it is required.
Meat of torque at 2000 rpm vs 4000 rpm in a 5.0.
I control what happens. I know if I get into it, it will cost but I prefer the drive.
It does not hunt for gears like a 5.0.
Granted never drove a 6.2 Raptor much but have driven plenty of 6.2 in F250’s.
6.2 is simply gutless in an F250 with a trailer hooked to it.
Cannot find a gear to save its life.
Have compared a F250 with 6.2 on our 24 foot closed car hauler and F150 with 3.5 EB.
The 3.5 EB will humiliate a 6.2 F250 hooked to a trailer.
But the cost is terrible fuel economy.
But will hold a gear much better and much longer. Smooth drive where you’re mot thinking the transmission is about to let go.

So yah, not better fuel economy, but better experience for some.

Sure, many 5.0’s get better lifetime mileage and better sound, especially if used as grocery getters

But hook a trailer and 5.0 hunts for gears big time.

Last edited:
Also the EB, especially the 3.5 is pretty much bullet proof as an engine.
If you don’t overheat the turbos, which can be managed by letting them cool down at idle for a few minutes after hard work, it is virtually trouble free.

I posted this story before of how the 3.5 EB started out in 2011.
It was built for boost from the beginning with forged internals.

Now we are on third gen. of the 3.5 EB.

If some want to re-watch or for new audience.

Couple of random points :

6.2L was bulletproof as well, 160,000 km of no problems, low mileage I know, bit no problems in 9 years is the key.

Raptor has 4.11, not 3.73 gears, so possibly a contributing factor. Tremor had 3.73's though.

Never tow anything , so I couldn't speak to that, but the 6.2L had plenty of git up and go when I needed it and then some.

Can't speak to the 6.2L in the F250.

I like the 3.5L HO EB a lot more than I figured I would, I was a diehard V8 guy, but gotta give it up.

The change in the exhaust system helps a lot, and the 10 speed is another adjustment from the 6 speed hooked up to the 6.2.

Well I have the eco boost 3.5 in raptor and for most part it works good and I am happy,
I dirve it with sport steering normal driving most of the time avg. fuel is 14.5 L per 100
so good for full size truck and when you put foot down it goes,
wanna drive fast more often, put in sports mode and handling and corners incredible difference I find
but like all things you will pay at the pump :)

F-250 6.2 I don't have the same issues,but then again I have never seen or driven f250 3.5 eco boost
so hard to compare, I never had the shift issues and no problmes working or towing, you will notice on hill or heavy
load you hear and know its working, but I never driven them overly fast, its a work truck, but empty
I have gone to Moncton at 140km with not issues, but at 140 it likes more fuel, funny how that works.
Maintenance not a biggie.

I am as most a hugh ford guy, everything I own except racecar is a Ford, but, fords getting cheap with warranty
stuff and some cheap under truck stuff, I have changed transmission lines on 2-3 year truck, transmission pans
etc. the fight tooth and nail on fixing anything on warranty, to point they had truck 5 hours one day I got 4 calls saying what wasn't covered,
including electic mirrors not working proper, few scratch on mirror cover, nope not covered, so don't hit a bush or tree branch anywhere,

I hope this does not continue, because the Ford Tough mantra may have to change.

Last edited:
I have a GMC Denali HD diesel 3/4 ton which gets about 15 l/100 km empty and about 23 l/100 km towing our travel trailer. Angie let me buy it specifically to tow our trailer which it does quite well.
ya buts its GM, which means you have to keep your hat pulled down so folks don't see you driving it,
besides I think you have to many teeth and wrong hair cut :ROFLMAO:

Well I have the eco boost 6.2 in raptor and for most part it works good and I am happy,
I dirve it with sport steering normal driving most of the time avg. fuel is 14.5 L per 100
wanna drive fast more often, put in sports mode and handling and corners incredible difference I find

F-250 6.2 I don't have the same issues,but then again I have never seen or driven f250 3.5 eco boost
so hard to compare, I never had the shift issues and no problmes working or towing, you will notice on hill or heavy
load you hear and know its working, but I never driven them overly fast, its a work truck, but empty
I have gone to Moncton at 140km with not issues, but at 140 it likes more fuel, funny how that works.

I am as most a hugh ford guy, everything I own except racecar is a Ford, but, fords getting cheap with warranty
stuff and some cheap under truck stuff, I have changed transmission lines on 2-3 year truck, transmission pans
etc. the fight tooth and nail on fixing anything on warranty, to point they had truck 5 hours one day I got 4 calls saying what wasn't covered,
including electic mirrors not working proper, few scratch on mirror cover, nope not covered, so don't hit a bush or tree branch anywhere,

I hope this does not continue, because the Ford Tough mantra may have to change.
Interesting. I guess I’m not up to speed on ford engines like I thought. I didn’t know they made a 6.2 eco boost.

Well I have the eco boost 6.2 in raptor and for most part it works good and I am happy,

Note: There is no F250 3.5 EB.

The comparison I made was 6.2 F250 and a F150 with 3.5 EB.

A heavy payload F150 at that, so it was just as well equipped to carry the trailer tongue weight as the F250, but the 3.5 EB outclasses the 6.2 for pulling.

do they put the 6.2 in any f-150?
I didnt think so, or never seen,

No, they don’t, and haven’t since the Raptor application.

F150 now has three engine choices with four powertrains.

2.7 EB is base engine.
5.0 V8 optional and long wheel based.
3.5 EB optional and long wheel based.
There is a hybrid version of the 3.5 EB called Powerboost.

The highest F150 tow capacity is the regular 3.5 EB because weight of batteries on hybrid model takes away from payload and tow capacity.

Note: There is no F250 3.5 EB.

The comparison I made was 6.2 F250 and a F150 with 3.5 EB.

A heavy payload F150 at that, so it was just as well equipped to carry the trailer tongue weight as the F250, but the 3.5 EB outclasses the 6.2 for pulling.
I am not sure I totally agree with this, to me a 150 and 250 are two tottally different animals.
other than both trucks, it pretty much ends there IMO

I love 150's and will likely be something I have later in life for my needs, but when it comes to work
does not come anywhere near close to what 250 does.

now this is cool

1723673214995.png

I am not sure I totally agree with this, to me a 150 and 250 are two tottally different animals.
other than both trucks, it pretty much ends there IMO

I love 150's and will likely be something I have later in life for my needs, but when it comes to work
does not come anywhere near close to what 250 does.

I’m not suggesting a 150 is the same or can replace a 250.

You are right, different animals.

All I’m saying is a 6.2 in a 250 for towing a decent trailer is a dud compared to the towing ability of a 3.5 EB, which you can only get in a150.

It just so happened that in my comparison, the 150 that I used happened to be a heavy payload unit. So it was very at ease with the tongue weight of the trailer as well.

The ultimate tow rig is a diesel Super Duty, 250 or 350, don’t matter.

Last edited:
This won’t change any of the above, but I noticed something this afternoon moving a F250 on the lot.
The base engine in F250 is now a 6.8 gas V8.
The 6.2 no longer used.

I don’t know how this 6.8 compares to the 6.2.
Will have to try and get one hooked to the trailer one of these days and see.

If and when that happens, I will post.

This won’t change any of the above, but I noticed something this afternoon moving a F250 on the lot.
The base engine in F250 is now a 6.8 gas V8.
The 6.2 no longer used.

I don’t know how this 6.8 compares to the 6.2.
Will have to try and get one hooked to the trailer one of these days and see.

If and when that happens, I will post.
6.2 is no longer being made, this new 6.8 is
replaing it, be curious see how it compares
I can tell most people the good bad in ugle about 6.2
for most part the last well, some external stuff not so much

Last edited:
Back