New Mustang

View attachment 55297

It’s arrived at the dealers and I’m picking it up tomorrow

Awesome looking rig. ?
They do sound good, don’t they?

I wish you a great experience.
Buying new.
No one else sat in it but a few dealership employees.
Taking the plastic protection off yourself.
Framing your window sticker.
Whatever other ritual you’re planning… ?

Last edited:
So it’s now home, it’ll take me a while to figure out all the bells and whistles. I had a nice run out the Waverly rd to home, the rev matching on down shifts is kinda cool, cool enough that I was down shifting just to hear the exhaust. It’ll seriously scoot, have to watch out for Mexico

Yah, the tech jump from an S197 to a new premium 401 package is remarkable.
The variable exhaust, steering and magneride have stand alone controls or can change according to drive mode selection.
Then there’s the full digital instrumemt cluster that can change the way it looks according to the chosen drive mode.

Have fun learning and playing with it all.
Glad you had a good drive home.

So I’ve had the new Mustang for a bit and have had a chance to put a few miles on it.Short take damn is fun to drive. Firstly it’s seriously frigging quick, almost scary quick. The Bembo brakes are impressively good at killing off speed, I haven’t really stepped on them hard yet but I’d bet the stopping distance is short. The magnaride suspension works very well, soaks up Nova Scotia roads well and keeps things in control during spirited cornering. I’ll have to try sport mode sometime on the new Lantz roundabouts. About the only complaint I have with the handling is it tramlines badly, however that’s a minor issue. The active exhaust has a nice bark in track mode when I let off the gas under hard acceleration to shift. I’m still figuring out all the technology and I’ll say more when I do.

Rich I must resonate some of your comments. Mine is 2019 without the Magnaride.
They are definitely super responsive and quick of the draw. Th makes no time to pass a car if need be. The factory Brakes on mine are amazing. So I can just imagine how the Brembos work. The ride is a little rough and to be expected on really chopped up NB roads. This is just ocassionaly. Magnaride would be a bonus for sure but such is life. It is nothing compared to the harsness of the 01 on similar roads. I always feel in control so far. I have experienced very little tram lining. Mine still has Michelin pilots on it which I assume are still the original tire. Yours come with the same tire or have they changed? My active exhaust sees a lot of sport mode. I find it’s a happy medium. Especially in the Vert

Rich, I too am surprised by your tram lining comment.
You’re like the first owner I’ve herd say that about a straight PP car.
You don’t have a super wide tire on there.
It’s a 255 wide, the same as Charlie’s on the CS, and both 19 inch rims.
Practically identical setup except you have slightly stiffer springs and dampers.

I’ve driven several of those cars in all model years, 15 to present, and would not say that about them.
Not after driving a 17 Shelby with 295 front tires a couple years back.
Now, That was tram lining!

I know it’s a brand new car but maybe it’s worth having your alignment checked.
It could have been knocked out during transport to the dealership.
If it’s out, it’ll be covered under warranty.

And your tire pressures are all where they should be?

The tyre pressures are about 2 lb high, one is about 2 lb low. I should have been a little more specific about the tramlining. It’s only bad in a couple of places, one is between home and Milford on the 102 and another is around the airport inbound on the 102. The highway ruts around Milford are so bad that after I went through there driving a twin steer dump truck last summer I stopped to make sure nothing was broken on it. I’ll double check the pressures and see if I can’t get the alignment checked. Thanks for the ideas

Well, you’re giving me more to work with now.

On badly rutted roads like you describe, this car will catch the sides of those ruts quite a bit more than your S197.

Strictly because of the section width and shorter sidewall of the tires on it compared with your S197.

From memory, I think your S197 had the 17 inch wheels, so it wore 235/55/17 all season high performance or touring grade tires.
Your new car wears 255/40/19 summer max performance grade tires which are almost an inch wider with a much shorter and stiffer sidewall, along with softer compound.

There is a world of mechanical difference between the two.
I would suggest that what you experienced is normal for your new tire setup.
You will get used to it quicker if you don’t compare to your S197, which basically had comparably mushy and narrow tires.

It’s comparable to many other cars with similar tire setups, but still little compared to cars with 295 or 305 wide front tires, like Trevor has for example.

It’s a whole new car, setup a very different way than your old one.
You’ll get used to it and you will enjoy it immensely. ?

Well, you’re giving me more to work with now.

On badly rutted roads like you describe, this car will catch the sides of those ruts quite a bit more than your S197.

Strictly because of the section width and shorter sidewall of the tires on it compared with your S197.

From memory, I think your S197 had the 17 inch wheels, so it wore 235/55/17 all season high performance or touring grade tires.
Your new car wears 255/40/19 summer max performance grade tires which are almost an inch wider with a much shorter and stiffer sidewall, along with softer compound.

There is a world of mechanical difference between the two.
I would suggest that what you experienced is normal for your new tire setup.
You will get used to it quicker if you don’t compare to your S197, which basically had comparably mushy and narrow tires.

It’s comparable to many other cars with similar tire setups, but still little compared to cars with 295 or 305 wide front tires, like Trevor has for example.

It’s a whole new car, setup a very different way than your old one.
You’ll get used to it and you will enjoy it immensely. ?
Don’t worry I already enjoy it immensely, I’ve used it to set new personal bests on a couple of roundabouts and on-ramps. There’s one at Milford inbound on the 102 that I’ve never been able to get going faster than 85 on at the end of the curve, in the 2022 I’ve already hit 90 and I feel with a bit of practice I could get a higher speed

Tramlining, come for a ride with me, 305 fronts, lol
when I change lanes on 102 where your talking about,
scares the crap out of passenger, ( I know whats coming)
sorted like roller coaster ride, it changes fast
Driving with one hand on wheel is ok most places
but some 2 is not optional, driving quick helps smooth it out :)

Tramlining, come for a ride with me, 305 fronts, lol
when I change lanes on 102 where your talking about,
scares the crap out of passenger, ( I know whats coming)
sorted like roller coaster ride, it changes fast
Driving with one hand on wheel is ok most places
but some 2 is not optional, driving quick helps smooth it out :)
Yea Trevor I was leaving Tim’s driving one handed and coffee in the other almost lost the car and coffee it just darted one way faster then you can think, it was two handed there after. But your right the faster you seem to go the better it is
305 front
315 rear

Back