Barn Finds

Short Bed Survivor: 1971 Ford F-100 Ranger

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

I travel a lot, something like 150-200 days a year all over the US. I’ll be heading up to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma tomorrow from southern Texas and that happens to be where this survivor 1971 Ford F-100 short bed pickup is located. This small project truck can be found here on eBay with no reserve and the current bid price is $4,350. A stealth Barn Finds reader sent in this tip and didn’t leave their name but I’d like to thank them, whoever they are.

I’m partial to fifth-generation Ford pickups, probably because a 1969 Ford F-250 was the only new vehicle that my parents ever bought. For me, a 1/2-ton Raven Black short bed Ford F-100 Ranger with a red interior would be even better than the 3/4-ton orange (Cordova Copper) Ranger Camper Special that we had. I know that a lot of people don’t like short bed trucks, they shrug their shoulders and wonder why anyone would buy one with a short bed having less room to haul things. This size is perfect for me and a lot of others who like the look and don’t need to haul 8-foot sheets of drywall or plywood around.

The seller says that this truck has been garaged for most of its life, 95% of it in fact. It sure looks good but it also needs a little work. The body is “excellent” according to the seller, but there is some rust underneath as with most vehicles of this vintage. The inside of the bed, which shows some heavy surface rust, shouldn’t be too hard to bring back again.

We would have loved a fabric seat in our ’69 F-250, that black vinyl got HOT in the summer, even with factory AC. I’m assuming that the dash pad is cracked but, like everything on this truck, there will be replacement parts available in the aftermarket world. The seller doesn’t mention the interior at all and the above photo is the only interior photo. That’s a little unusual since there are duplicates of some exterior photos. It’s always nice to have an overabundance of photos rather than wanting more.

They also don’t give a VIN to check what engine size this is. Is it a 360 V8? A 390? Maybe a 302 Windsor? Whatever it is, it has had its fuel tank, fuel lines, and carburetor removed but they all come with the sale. Hopefully, it won’t be too hard to get it running again. Hagerty is at $6,200 for a truck in #4 fair condition with a 302 V8 and $6,600 for a truck with a 390 V8 so there isn’t a lot of difference in value given the engine size. This looks like an easy restoration or just get it running and drive it as it looks now and tinker with it when you can. Are any of you fans of short bed pickups or do you need to have a truck with a full-sized bed for serious hauling duties?

More: Ford

Solid and Clean: 1978 Ford Mustang II King Cobra

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

The 1978 Mustang II King Cobra can be accused of a lot of things, but being subtle certainly wouldn’t be one of them. The 1978 Pontiac Trans Am was considered to be pretty “in-your-face,” but the King Cobra managed to crank that up a notch. Barn Finder Pat L spotted this clean looking Ford for us, so thank you for that Pat. It is located in Lowell, Indiana, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. The owner has set the price for the King Cobra at $9,000.

There are plenty of people who deride the Mustang II, and if I’m honest, I’m not a huge fan of the styling. However, it does actually deserve recognition within the Mustang story, because it allowed the Mustang name to stay alive when it would have been easy for Ford to retire the badge during the Malaise Era. That means that unlike its direct competitors, the Mustang has managed to remain in production all the way from the 1960s to the present day. The King Cobra is finished in black and features the distinctive Red graphics. The body and paint appear to be in good condition, with the Cobra having received a repaint at some point in the past. The owner identifies small bubbles in the decal on the hood as an issue, but a replacement decal will be included in the sale. It is hard to be 100% certain from the photos, but I think that the wheels fitted to the Ford either aren’t original, or they have had the lace centers painted at some point. On a car with these graphics, the face of the lace section should have a machined aluminum finish, while the recesses should be red. The style looks right, so I suspect that a repaint is the answer.

If an owner was buying a new King Cobra in 1978 with visions of high-performance floating around in their head, then they were in for a nasty surprise. In essence, the King Cobra option was little more than an appearance package, with no upgrades to the standard 302ci V8. It still produced a rather depressing 139hp, and in this case, the power is sent to the rear wheels via a 4-speed manual transmission. In all honesty, the horsepower figures are a long way from the Mustang’s glory days, but they were a reality of the automotive industry at the time. Today, an engine of similar capacity has no trouble delivering twice the power thanks to advances in fuel injection and electronic engine management technology. Being equipped with a manual transmission puts this King Cobra in the minority for 1978. In that year, Ford produced 2,954 of the King Cobra with an automatic transmission, while 2,017 were manual. The good news with this car is that not only is it a numbers-matching vehicle, but it is turn-key, meaning that it is ready to be driven and enjoyed.

The interior of the Ford is clean and tidy, but there are a few aspects of the car where it is beginning to show its age. The carpet is the most obvious of these, with it displaying significant levels of fading. The black interior trim appears to be in generally good condition, while the dash and pad seem to be free of cracks. The original shifter has been replaced with one from our good friends at Hurst, while the sports wheel has been clad in a wrap. The rest of the interior appears to be as it was when the car left the factory, and it wouldn’t take a lot of work to return it to completely stock. The King Cobra looks like it was equipped with a few optional extras, including air conditioning, and an AM/FM radio/cassette player.

In 1978, a sticker price of $6,350 meant that a King Cobra was not a cheap vehicle, and Ford still managed to sell 4,971 examples to the buying public. Today, these will sell for some pretty surprising prices. A clean example can usually fetch around the asking price of this car, while a pristine example can sell for $20,000 or more. This one is probably priced about right, and it will be interesting to see how quickly it sells.

More: Ford / King Cobra / Mustang II

Amazing 1,100 Mile 1969 Ford Fairlane Cobra 428 SCJ

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

There are obviously people in the world with far more self-discipline than I possess because there is no way that I could own a car like this 1969 Fairlane Cobra and leave it sitting virtually idle for 50-years. During the decades that have elapsed since it rolled off the production line, this beast of a car has managed to accumulate a genuine 1,100 miles under its original Polyglas tires. Now it is set to head off to a new home, so if it ticks all of the boxes for you, you will find it located in Juneau, Wisconsin, and listed for sale here on eBay.

Finished in Candy Apple Red, the Cobra really does present in as-new condition. This is hardly surprising, given the vehicle’s low mileage. I’m not sure whether the car was originally bought with a specific purpose in mind, or if the original owner saw it more as a long-term investment. What we do know is that the seller purchased the Cobra from the original owner back in 2013, and it has been stored in a heated garage since then. It has had such limited use that the wheel trim rings have never actually been fitted, and they remain in the trunk, which is where they were the day the car was delivered. There is not a sign of a chip or scratch anywhere on the Cobra, and there are no indications that there are any rust issues with the car. The hood scoop is a reasonable indicator that this is no ordinary Ford.

The major frustration with this Cobra is the quality of the photos that the owner provides for what is, let’s face it, a pretty hefty automotive investment. What lurks in the engine bay is the original 428ci Super Cobra Jet V8. This beast is fitted with Ram Air and produces an official, but somewhat conservative, 335hp. Those in the know state that this estimate is very low and that true engine output is somewhere around the 400hp mark. Shifting duties fall to a close-ratio 4-speed Top-Loader manual transmission, and due to the fact that the original owner also ticked the box beside the Drag Pack, the rear end is a 3.91 limited-slip. In addition, the Cobra comes equipped with power steering, and power front disc brakes. It isn’t clear whether the Cobra has been fired into life in recent times, but its originality extends to the point where every one of the inspection stickers is still present, while the original (and dead) Autolite battery is still sitting in the battery tray. The performance was all that you would expect from such a combination, and while the official figures quoted a 0-60mph time of 6 seconds and ¼ mile ET of 14.6 seconds, both figures, in the same spirit as the power output figure, were somewhat conservative. Motoring publications of this period found that a 0-60 time into the 5-second bracket was easy to achieve, while the ¼ mile ET could be dropped into the 13-second region on a consistent basis.

The interior of the Cobra is just as spotless as you would expect from a car with this sort of mileage on the clock. It is so well preserved that the plastic protection is still in place on the seat belts, and the plastic carpet protector is still present on the left side floor. Even the original quick user guide card remains attached to the air conditioning. In addition to the A/C, the Cobra comes with black upholstery, a console, a gauge set with a tachometer, and an optional AM radio. Also supplied with the Ford is the original Order Sheet, the Owner’s Packet with the Manual, Warranty Card, original loan document, original paper floor-mats, and even the original and mint Cobra jacket that was supplied with the car.

There is no doubt that this 1969 Fairlane Cobra is a car with the “wow” factor in abundance, and as I said in the beginning, I really can’t imagine having enough self-control to not drive it. I hate to use this term, but cars like this are amazing time capsules. However, you can’t help but feel that the ultimate destination of this one will be a museum. It is not a cheap car, and every mile accumulated is going to negatively impact that car’s value. If this is the case then I will find that to be a crying shame. This is a car that was made to be driven hard, and thoroughbreds should never be locked away.

More: Cobra / Fairlane / Ford

Completed Project: 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

The owner of this 1970 Mercury Cougar Eliminator is the sort of person who loves to collect and restore classic cars. He purchased this car off its original owner back in 2012, and after a 7-year refurbishment, the time has come for it to find its way to a new owner. Located in Canton, Georgia, the Cougar has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has now worked its way to $28,100, but the reserve hasn’t been met. There are currently 125 people who are watching the listing.

The owner, who is a rather spritely 78-years-old, has an interesting approach to selecting his project cars. His focus is on original, rust-free cars with a bit of character. That is precisely what he found in this Competition Green Cougar. The car has undergone a repaint at some point in the past whilst under the stewardship of its original owner. Since purchasing the car from that 1st owner in 2012, the current owner has done little to the Cougar’s exterior beyond giving it a good polish. There are a few minor marks on the paint that give the car character (he points out that in his opinion the word “patina” is nauseating), but there is no rust present anywhere in the car. The exterior trim and chrome look impressive, while he describes the glass, all of which is original, as being in excellent condition.

Judging by the text from the listing, the owner will put up with some compromises with his project cars, but anything less than engine bay perfection is not an option. Therefore, a substantial part of the effort and capital outlay during the refurbishment has been lavished on the car’s drive-train. What you see here is the numbers-matching 351ci V8, which has been fully rebuilt and detailed. Given the fact that it has been blueprinted and balanced, and has received a host of new parts into the bargain, it probably pumps out slightly more than its original 300hp. Having said that, the owner didn’t want to produce an unpleasant car, so it is said to sound fairly normal. The original Merc-O-Matic transmission is one component that is now gone, which is no surprise given the fact that it was the failure of this unit that caused the original owner to park the car in the first place. Its replacement is a rebuilt 4R70W automatic transmission that began its life in a Ford Explorer. It should definitely be able to handle the horsepower well into the future, and it works exactly as it should now. Power steering and power front disc brakes complete the package, and these have received the sort of refresh that you would expect from a person with such an eye for detail. I mean, look at the engine and its surrounds. It really does present in as-new condition…if not, better.

I’m sure that you won’t be surprised to learn that as part of the refurbishment process, the entire interior was stripped from the Cougar. After confirming the car’s rust-free status, the owner installed an enormous amount of high-quality sound-deadening material to provide a more luxurious environment inside the car. The headliner that was installed is new, as are the seat covers and foam set. The remaining trim items and dash are all original, and they do present beautifully. The interior didn’t originally feature air conditioning, but this has now been set right. Similarly, the original AM radio has made way for a modern unit with USB, but its appearance does seem to be in keeping with the rest of the interior trim and equipment.

I wouldn’t refer to the work that has been performed on this Mercury as a restoration, but I think that it would be fair to consider it as something along the lines of a sensitive refurbishment. The upgrades that have been made during this 7-year process should make it a car that is more pleasant to live with on a day-to-day basis. The refurbishment has consumed more than $30,000 in parts alone, and the owner not only holds documentation to verify this but other paperwork as well, including a Marti Report. The project was completed approximately 1-month-ago, and the whole car has only covered around 10 miles since then. So, for the person who wants to buy a freshly finished classic, this is one that is worth a serious look.

More: Cougar / Eliminator / Mercury

Recent Refurbishment: 1968 Shelby GT350 H

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

A refurbishment in 2015 has left this 1968 Shelby GT350 H looking extremely nice, and judging by the photos, this is a classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed by a lucky new owner. If you would like to be that owner, then the Shelby is located in Taunton, Massachusetts, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has now reached $40,100, but the reserve hasn’t been met. I’m not surprised to note that there are currently 204 people who are watching the listing.

It’s worth pointing out here that the Shelby has received more of a cosmetic refurbishment than a restoration. This is because it was originally finished in Highland Green, but during the 2015 refresh, the previous owner chose to have the color changed to its current Raven Black. The quality of the workmanship appears to be quite good, and there are no visible signs of rust on the Shelby’s outside. The photos of the vehicle’s underside aren’t the greatest, but they seem to indicate that the floors and frame are nice and solid. The car rolls on a set of aftermarket wheels, but it isn’t clear whether the originals are included as part of the sale. The overall presentation of the car seems to be extremely good.

The refresh process was not confined to the exterior of the Shelby, with the interior becoming the focus of a similar level and quality of restoration work. It is hard to find anything much to be critical of, which is hardly surprising for an interior that is only about 4-years-old. It appears that there have been no aftermarket additions or modifications made to the car, but given the black on black color combination, the inclusion of factory air conditioning will no doubt be welcome on warmer days. In addition, the car was optioned with a tilt wheel, AM radio, tinted glass, tachometer and trip odometer, and a Sport Deck rear seat.

The 1968 model year marked a major change in mechanical configuration, with the previous 289ci V8 making way for the 302 unit, producing 250hp. This car also comes fitted with a C4 automatic transmission, power steering, and power disc brakes. Once again, the drive-train of the Shelby has come in for its share of attention during the refurbishment, with the engine receiving a rebuild, and the transmission received a check and reseal. The brakes came in for some treatment as well, with new calipers, a new master cylinder, a new booster, and new rotors having been fitted to the car. The owner says that the vehicle runs and drives well, with the engine feeling very strong.

Both the Shelby Register and Marti agree that during 1968, there were 224 Shelby GT350 H “Rent-A-Racers” built and that this car is one of them. It is a nicely presented car, and if the fact that it wears a different paint color and wheels doesn’t bother you, then it is a car that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. However, there is no reason why the next owner couldn’t choose to subject the car to a repaint that would return the car to original. Whether this process would be financially viable would depend on what the car finally sells for. Would you return the car to Highland Green, or leave it Raven Black?

More: GT350 H / Shelby

Garage Find: 1966 Ford Mustang GT

Josh Mortensen
Josh Mortensen

This find checks off so many boxes for me! For one, it’s a first-generation Mustang GT with a 289 V8 and a 4-speed. I even like that it’s the coupe body rather than the more valuable Fastback. It’s also a garage find that could be prove to be a really nice find. It is waiting for a new owner to get it back on the street, so be sure to give it a closer look. You can find it here on eBay in Andalusia, Alabama with a current bid of $7,900.

While the car might be checking all the right boxes, the seller’s ad leaves little to be desired. This is what they put for the description, “1966 Ford Mustang A Code”. Seriously, that’s all they put for the main body description for the car. Thankfully, they wrote a bit more about it in the Item Specifics, but not much more. Apparently, it was restored 5 years ago, but they don’t state whether it was a complete restoration. They state that the engine was rebuilt with new pistons, valves, and a high-performance cam, but that’s all we get on the mechanical condition. All good things to know, but how about a little bit about the body, paint or if the interior is original?

Speaking of the interior, they do state that it’s the Pony Interior. It looks to be in nice shape, but there’s no word on if it is original, partially or fully restored. It’s hard to tell from the few photos as well, so there are going to be some questions to be asked before bidding.

What can be seen here looks pretty good. If the seller had more photos, I would probably feel comfortable bidding on it even with the lack of information, but it’s difficult to really gauge a car’s condition from five photos. A closer inspection would definitely be in order. If you are nearby and could take a look in person, this one would definitely be worth considering. So, what would you be willing to spend on this Pony?

More: Ford / Mustang

Parked In ’75! One-Owner 1969 Ford Torino 428CJ

Todd Fitch
Todd Fitch

UPDATE 11/18/2019 – This Cobra Jet Torino has resurfaced, this time as a no reserve auction and with different photos. It’s currently bid up to $8,200 and can be found here on eBay.
FROM 2/07/2019 – The seller pulled the original listing for some reason, but has relisted it here on eBay. How high will it go?
FROM 1/30/19 – This car’s next owner would be wise to invite the seller to share some stories about this 1969 Ford Torino GT over a family-diner lunch near the car’s Myrtle Beach, South Carolina location. Just say “I’ll have the Special!” So often we see cars like this on a trailer, one or more purchases removed from their history. Joe Flipper often figures less known about the car equals more plausible deniability. But here we see the husband of the Torino’s original buyer, obviously taking some pride in decades of ownership. You can write the next chapter of that legacy with a high bid here on eBay, where more than ten bids have driven the market value north of $1700. Based on the car’s originality and the 428 Cobra-Jet mill, higher offers should be expected.

A vigorous cleansing (well done, seller!) may have led to water ingress creating fog inside. Rusty edges suggest the tin-worms have had their way with the sheet metal since the car was sidelined in 1975. I’m no fan of the Keystone style mags, but period-correct wheels should be easily sourced.

The original-looking interior shows its sporting side with molded instrument pods, add-on Tachometer, center console, and ubiquitous Radio Shack inline fuse dangling under the dash. The shiny circle on the brake pedal indicates “DISC BRAKES.” This factory AC car came equipped with (what should be a C6) automatic transmission.

Parked with a mere 46,000 miles on the clock, this mid-sized muscle car barely had a chance to terrorize the byways of South Carolina before being taken of the road for reasons unsubscribed. No mention is given of whether the engine or drive train parts are original, though it seems likely based on the story. While the engine code is listed as “0” it does appear in the picture to be a “Q” as appropriate for the 428 cid Cobra Jet or “CJ” V8 with the four-barrel carburetor (thanks to the VIN decoder at tpocr.com). The history page here on Hemmings.com claims the Q-code (non-Ram-Air) 428 made a healthy 335 HP. What’s your top bid for a chance to put this Torino back in the wind?

More: Ford / Torino

SHARETWEET

Rare Grabber Green: 1969 Shelby GT500

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

By 1969, sales for the Shelby GT500 had fallen to the point where not all of the ’69 production run could be sold before year’s end. Of the 3,150 cars that actually found homes in 1969, only 416 were finished in Grabber Green. This is one of those cars, and its presentation is extremely impressive. If it is a car that grabs you, then you will find it located in Lynnwood, Washington, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding is now sitting at $47,300, but the reserve hasn’t been met. The owner also does provide a BIN option, which he has set at $79,950.

The GT500 is said to have spent the majority of its life in California, and this life has paid dividends with the car’s rust-free status. The floors and frame look close to perfect, while there are no signs of any rust in the panels. The Grabber Green paint has a nice shine and consistency across the car, while panels gaps appear to be tight and consistent (in a 1969 context). The external trim and chrome are all in good condition, while the tinted glass looks to be perfect. Interestingly, one thing the owner doesn’t specify is the originality of the panels and paint. In reality, it is certainly possible that it is all original, but it is equally possible that it has had at least a partial cosmetic restoration.

The Shelby is a numbers-matching car, with a 428ci Cobra Jet engine pumping out 335hp resting under the hood. Shifting duties fall to a 3-speed C6 transmission, while a Traction-Lok rear end, power steering, and power brakes are also part of the deal. Even though the GT500 had stacked on some weight since the first cars saw the light of day, the performance was still pretty impressive. A 0-60 time of 6 seconds and ¼ mile ET of 14 seconds still demanded a certain amount of respect. The entire drive-train of the GT500 has been the recipient of a rebuild, while an OEM power steering pump has also been fitted. The presentation of the engine bay is very tidy, and if this is any indication, then the car should run and drive well.

The wording in the listing is a bit odd, but I interpret it as saying that the majority of the interior trim in the GT500 is original. I believe that the carpet might have been replaced, but the rest of it is as it left the factory. If you look closely, it does appear as though the white upholstery is showing some spots of “yellowing,” which is not uncommon. Otherwise, it doesn’t appear as though there are any rips, tears, or stains to be seen anywhere. Optional equipment fitted to the GT500 includes tinted glass, an AM radio, Sport Deck rear seat, and a tachometer and trip odometer. One other interesting little statistic that surrounds this car is that while it is 1-of-416 cars finished in Grabber Green, it is also 1-of-104 finished in the paint and interior trim combination that we see here.

Some people believe that with the end of actual vehicle production in 1969, the Shelby GT500 didn’t go out with a bang, but with a whimper. There is no arguing that by 1969 the GT500 was more of a Grand Tourer than its hard-core predecessors. However, when you consider where muscle car performance was destined to head in a few short years from there, the ’69 GT500 really represents the last hurrah of the Ford performance car for more than a decade. This one is a nice example, and if it looks as good upon personal inspection as it seems to look in the listing, then someone has the potential to land for themselves a very nice classic.

More: Ford / GT500 / Shelby

Affordable Fastback? 1968 Ford Mustang Project

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1968 Mustang Fastback has a few factors working in its favor as a project car. The first of these is that its former rust issues have all now been addressed. The second is that as you look around at the background of this photo, you can see that there is a pretty decent chance that the current owner might be able to supply some of the major parts that would be required to complete a restoration. The Mustang is located in Monterey, California, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $8,100 but the reserve hasn’t been met. There is also a BIN option, and this has been set at $12,000.

The Fastback started its life painted Acapulco Blue, and you can still see traces of this in a few spots around the car. It previously had rust issues in the usual places that tend to be prone on a Mustang, but the single shot that the owner supplies of the underside show floors and a frame that appears to now be clean and solid. Both rear quarter panels have also been replaced, but the owner admits that the work on these will need to be completed. There is still some rust present below the rear window, but any remaining rust issues would seem to be little more than surface corrosion. It looks like the deck lid, bumpers, and a few other external items are missing, but you may be able to source replacement parts through the seller. The glass is also largely okay, with the occasional nick or scratch. The windshield, however, is cracked and will require replacement.

The engine bay looks to be quite clean, but it does lack one or two items. This was originally home to a C-Code 289ci V8 and 4-speed manual transmission, but these are long gone. The Mustang was also fitted with power steering and power disc brakes. Interestingly, this was a car that was scheduled for Canadian delivery, so the Marti Report shows it as being specified with the Canadian Non-Emission System. The next owner will be starting from scratch with the engine and transmission, but the seller may be able to negotiate some components, depending on the buyer’s needs

When new, the interior of the Mustang was quite nicely equipped. It was finished in Black and was fitted with a console and AM radio. The majority of the dash is present and appears to be in good condition. The owner says that the seats will need new covers, and the dash will require a new pad. Beyond that, it would seem that the door trims are missing and that the remaining upholstered surface will require restoration. Having said that, it isn’t hard to locate high-quality interior kits for around the $800 mark, so it might not take a lot to have the interior really shining once again.

This Mustang Fastback would appear to be a fairly promising project car. The seller raises the idea of building an Eleanor or Shelby clone, but personally, I probably wouldn’t follow either of those paths. The reason is that you will find both of these clones in abundance on the market today, so why bother joining the club? I would be tempted to return it to a largely original state, but with some tasteful upgrades to the drive-train and interior. Anyway, that’s what I would do, but it’s more important to know what you would do, and whether this car is tempting enough for you to bid on it.

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang

Daily Driven: 1970 Ford Mustang Fastback

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

If you like the idea of owning a classic car where you can jump behind the wheel at any time with no hesitation, then perhaps this 1970 Mustang Fastback is the sort of car that you are hunting for. It is a car that is driven on a daily basis, and you now have the chance to drive it into your own life. Located in Glendale, California, you will find the Mustang listed for sale here on eBay. With bidding now sitting at $15,700, the reserve on this one has been met.

This Red Mustang really does tick a lot of good boxes for any potential owner. It is clean and tidy, it’s rust-free, and it’s ready to be enjoyed by a new owner. The seller does say that the car is solid, and there is certainly no evidence of any rust issues visible in the car. The Mustang’s body is also nice and straight, with no obvious signs of dings or dents. It has a few minor chips and marks, but let’s face it, this is a daily driver, not a trailer queen. The external trim and chrome appear to be in nice condition, as does the glass. I also find the seller’s approach and attitude pretty reassuring. They invite potential buyers to look through the supplied photos and to then ask any questions that they like. It sounds like they are prepared to be quite open and candid about the car’s condition.

While it is in decent condition for a daily driver, there are a few detail items to attend to inside the Mustang if the aim is to take the car up to the next level. The most obvious of these is to attend to the console, which has a break in the bin on the driver’s side, and the bin lid is also badly bent. The wheel rim sports a few cracks, and the cover on the rear seat has a few ragged edges. Otherwise, it is quite presentable, and in reality, there is nothing there that requires urgent or major attention. As far as aftermarket additions are concerned, it would appear that a radio/cassette player has been installed, with speakers fitted to the rear parcel tray.

When the hood is lifted on the Mustang, I would describe the appearance of what lies beneath as honest. There is a bit of dirt and grime present, but what isn’t there is the liberal application of detailing spray. There is also no evidence of long-term fluid leaks or the sorts of coolant stains that can spell trouble. The 302ci V8 engine, producing 210hp, is backed by a 3-speed automatic transmission. While it appears that the next owner won’t be scoring power brakes, the car is fitted with power steering. Once again, the news here is pretty good. The owner says that the engine and transmission “perform amazingly,” and that the car rolls on good tires. They also say that there is no reason why you couldn’t drive the car clear across the country if you want.

This 1970 Mustang Fastback could offer its next owner a few different possibilities, and none of them would seem to be bad. There is no reason why it couldn’t be left essentially as it is, and be driven and enjoyed. They could choose to take it as a solid and rust-free base, and perform a full and faithful restoration, or build the Mustang of their dreams without having to go through the stress and trauma of major rust repairs. Me? I’d just detail it, attend to those couple of minor interior trim issues, and then get out on the road and enjoy the classic car ownership experience. That sounds like a pretty good option to me.

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang

10 hours ago • For Sale15 Comments
SS396 Fighter: 1966 Ford Fairlane GT 390
Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

In 1966, if you wanted a blue-oval weapon with which to take on the might of Chevrolet’s Impala SS396, then something like this Fairlane GT 390 would have been a strong candidate. With lower weight and marginally more power, the GT 390 was a car that would acquit itself well in a head-to-head fight with the Impala. This particular example is a nicely preserved car that is ready to take to the roads with a new owner, and that owner could potentially be you. If you can picture yourself behind the wheel, you will find the Fairlane located in Woodruff, South Carolina, and listed for sale here on eBay. At the time of writing, bidding has reached $19,100, but the reserve hasn’t been met. It would appear that there might be more than a few people who can picture themselves in this classic because there are currently 168 people who are watching the listing.

The Fairlane is finished in Wimbledon White, and while it might have received a repaint at some point in the past, the steel is not only all original, but it’s rust-free. The paint itself has a nice shine, with no signs of any obvious chips, scratches, or dings. The exterior trim and chrome appear to be close to faultless, with the same being true for the glass. The wheels that are fitted to the vehicle aren’t original, and normally I would be all over something like this. Sure, I’d love to see the Fairlane fitted with an original set of wheels, but these really seem to fit the character and styling of this car. I’m pretty sure that I could learn to live with them.

When you lift the hood on the Fairlane, you find yourself confronted with an S-Code 390ci V8, producing 335hp. Hooked to the back of this is a 4-speed manual transmission, which directs those ponies to the 3.25 rear end. It’s a tasty combination, and it gets even tastier when you realize that this is a numbers-matching car. The owner makes reference to the car having been the recipient of a meticulous level of care, and he also states that the car runs and drives perfectly. It would appear from the description that this is a car that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately, and its performance should be enough to plaster a smile all over the next owner’s face. Capable of accelerating from 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and galloping through the ¼ mile in 14.7 seconds, it was well and truly capable of seeing off the challenge of the Impala SS396 when new. As a blue-oval enthusiast myself, that’s enough to put a pretty decent smile on my face.

The high level of preservation becomes evermore obvious when we peek inside the Fairlane. The original red interior trim is in remarkable condition, and even the two-tone wheel has managed to avoid the worst of the wear issues. The dash and pad look perfect, while the upholstered trim and headliner are free of rips, tears, or stains. There is some stretching evident on the front seats, but this is actually pretty minor, especially in a vehicle of this age. If the interior is as original as the owner claims, then the condition of the carpet is especially noteworthy. It appears to be free of wear and fading, which is quite a feat in itself.

This 1966 Fairlane GT 390 is a pretty impressive car, and parking it in your driveway would attract plenty of admiring glances and comments from your more knowledgeable neighbors. With 33,013 examples being produced in Hardtop form in the 1966 model year, they were not an especially rare car when new. However, the vast majority of examples that hit the market today are the GTA version, with manual offerings being very much in the minority. That makes this a relatively rare opportunity and one that would be worth serious consideration for anyone on the hunt for a really solid 1960s classic that successfully combines luxury and muscle.

More: Fairlane GT / Ford

SHARETWEET

Farm Truck: 1952 Mercury M1 Pickup

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1952 Mercury M1 Pickup is a project that stalled fairly early, meaning that the next owner can freely choose which direction they would like to head in with the vehicle. Given how solid it is, it would seem to be well worth the effort to breathe new life back into this classic. It is located in Sweet Grass, Montana, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has now reached $2,500 in what is a No Reserve auction.

It isn’t clear what color originally graced the flanks of the Mercury because it is a pickup that seems to wear a bit of everything. What it doesn’t seem to wear are major rust issues. In fact, the sections in the running boards and lower front fenders would seem to be the worst of it, and this all appears as though it would be repairable without having to resort to panel replacement. The frame looks as though it is good, while the floors and cab corners, both of which can be quite rust-prone, appear to be rock solid. The majority of the distinctive badges and trim which differentiates the Mercury from its Ford cousin are present and in good condition. There are a couple of small pieces that are missing, but the owner is trying to secure replacement pieces for the next owner. One thing that will need attention is the vehicle’s glass. Some of the glass is missing, while the windshield looks like it has a bullet hole in it, so replacements will be required. Otherwise, the Mercury seems to be largely complete.

The original restoration of the Pickup was commenced as a “father-and-son” project, but they soon gave up when they realized that they were in over their heads. We don’t get any engine photos, but maybe they reached this conclusion by about the point that they dismantled the original 239ci flathead V8 engine. The owner says that the dismantled engine can be included in the sale, but that it will need a complete rebuild. We don’t get any information on the state of the 3-speed manual transmission, but we do know that the Pickup rolls and steers fine. With the engine in its current state, the next owner could potentially have some interesting choices to make when it comes to deciding just what to slot under the hood.

The interior of the Mercury is going to require some work, but if a faithful restoration is the ultimate goal, then one of the more fiddly tasks for the next owner will be sourcing some of the smaller missing pieces. This includes either an original radio blanking plate or a period-correct radio. There are also a couple of switches missing, along with the shifter knob. The steering wheel has deteriorated quite badly, and will almost certainly require replacement. As the seller rightly points out, at least the original Mercury horn button is still present and is in good condition. Source those few items, throw a new cover on the seat, and the interior would be quite serviceable. As I have said in the past about the interiors of pickups from this era, one of their great attractions is just how easy and inexpensive it can be to really make an interior shine.

We get to see some pretty promising classic pickup project vehicles here at Barn Finds, and this Mercury M1 is probably up there with the best of them. It is a solid and clean vehicle with only some very minor rust that will need to be attended to. It is a blank canvas for the next owner, but given the fact that it does come with its original engine and transmission, it would be tempting to restore it to its original glory. Of course, everyone will have a different idea of which path they would choose to follow, and this is one of the things that makes the classic car scene so interesting.

More: M1 Pickup / Mercury

Custom 1963 Ford Thunderbird Le Mans Roadster

blank.gif
Jim Motavalli

Here’s an impressive custom, going for what must be a fraction of the build cost. It’s a 1963 Thunderbird for sale here on Craigslist in Thomasville, North Carolina. It’s hard to imagine this extreme interpretation of the period T-Bird Roadster was built for anything less than six figures, but here it’s for sale at $29,500 or best offer.

Everything about the car is impressive, including the photography. The vendor describes it as a “one-off professionally built custom show car, street car, race car” and “a rotisserie build.” More detail would have been useful, but features include a built Ford engine, Corvette disc brakes all around, and British Racing Green paint that is described as “10 out of 10.”

Although the car has hood pins and is set up for racing numbers, it’s hard to imagine it as anything other than a very special boulevard cruiser. The ad mentions the 24 Hours of LeMans, but this beauty looks way too delicate for that brutal assignment.

The car appears immaculate and has only covered 200 miles since completion. “A lot of money and time invested,” it says. Definitely so, and I’m sure there’s a sad story attached. But this isn’t an unfinished project, it’s done, and in turnkey show condition for the right buyer.

Look at that interior, completely custom and gorgeous, with full instrumentation (all new) and a row of switches of uncertain function. That shifter stirs a four-speed manual gearbox that’s undoubtedly well-suited to the Ford V-8. The heavily bolstered buckets will keep you planted on quick cornering.

Other nice features include the racing windscreens seemingly borrowed from a period Austin-Healey, and sturdy rollbars. One assumes the outside exhaust is functional—watch your legs! The inspiration seems to be the 1960s race scene when big American cars like this sometimes shared tracks with Porsches, Triumphs, and MGs. How could it not be a good deal?

“There’s no way to understand or totally appreciate this car without seeing it in person,” the vendor says. And in this case that appears accurate, though the photography is mighty convincing.

More: Ford / Thunderbird

Worth Rescuing? 1971 Ford F100 SWB

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

There’s nothing quite like a farm-fresh pickup to get my attention! Peeking out from a dark lean-to in Cibolo, Texas, this fifth-gen Ford F100 is a real diamond in the rough. According to the ad, it’s been sitting since around 2004 and unfortunately doesn’t have a title. It is from 1971 and can be found here on eBay with a current bid of just over $1,000. For a running/driving truck of this vintage, that is a pretty good bargain even without a title. The other bonus about this truck is it has a short-box. If the new owner is going to make this truck into a performance/street machine, starting with a factory short box is a big advantage. Let’s take a closer look at this truck and let us know what you think.

If Texas were a dash pad, I imagine it would look like this one. It reminds me of the dry, dusty desert of West Texas and will definitely need to be replaced or removed. This generation of truck actually has a really nice metal dash under that large pad. Along with no title, the truck doesn’t have keys either, but those are easily replaced as well. You can tell by the inner doors the truck was probably Prairie Yellow, to begin with, but with the patchwork of sheet metal, it’s hard to tell for sure. A quick decoding of the VIN tag would tell the real story. The engine is a straight 6 and is said to run. It looks like the factory engine, but another quick check of the VIN tag would tell you for sure.

The ad says there is some rust in the bed and the floor pan but says it’s “nothing too terrible.” With the prices of these trucks going up consistently, it is certainly a bargain at the current bidding. How high do you think it will go?

Bench Seat GT: 1965 Ford Mustang GT

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1965 Mustang GT received a full restoration around 10-years-ago, and it has survived in very nice condition. It is a well-equipped car with the slightly unusual bench seat option. Barn Finder Roger referred this classic Mustang to us, so thank you so much for that Roger. it is located in Rocklin, California, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. You can park this Mustang in your driveway today for $23,500 OBO.

The presentation of the Mustang is nothing if not impressive. The Rangoon Red paint has a fantastic shine to it, and it is hard to find any significant flaws in that respect. The chrome and trim also look quite good, as does the glass, and the original GT wheels. The owner says that when the car underwent restoration, any rust issues were addressed at that time. None of these problems have reappeared, and a life spent in California will certainly have helped its cause. The reality with this car is that it is not a pristine example, but I would rate it as an extremely good daily driver that would attract plenty of attention and positive comments.

The interior is where this Mustang reveals its major point of difference, and that is with it featuring a bench front seat. This was a $24 option back in 1965 and does give the interior a distinctive look. The owner claims that around 15,000 Mustangs were built in this model year with the bench, and this gels with the information that I have. Interestingly, it appears that the vast majority of these were fitted to the Fastback, and the lowest total (2,111) found their way into the Convertible. Just how many found their way into a GT coupe is not clear. The condition of the Mustang’s interior looks very good, with only some fading of the carpet as an indication of the vehicle’s age. The interior is essentially unmolested and features Rally Pac gauges and air conditioning.

The presentation of the Mustang’s engine bay is extremely tidy, and it is here that you will find the 289ci A-Code V8. A 4-speed manual transmission, power steering, and disc brakes round out the package. The A-Code produces 225hp and endows the vehicle with quite spritely performance. The car has received a recent full service, along with a fresh set of disc brakes and a master cylinder. It also appears as though it has recently been treated to a new Holley carburetor with an automatic choke. It sounds like the next owner isn’t going to find themselves bogged down with mechanical work with this car.

Setting aside the bench set for a moment, this Mustang really has a reasonable number of attributes that will have a positive impact on its potential future value. The first of these is that it is a GT. Add in the A-Code engine, 4-speed transmission, air conditioning, and the Rally Pac gauges, and it isn’t a bad package at all. The fact that it is rust-free is a huge bonus, and to me, that makes this a car that is perfect for the person who is seeking a tidy and distinctive classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately.

More: Coupe / Ford / Mustang GT

SHARETWEET

35K Mile 1984 Ford Mustang GT 350

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1984 Ford Mustang GT 350 is a low-mileage example with the preferred manual transmission. It’s a one-owner car that was a big deal when Ford introduced it as a celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Mustang. Featuring the iconic namesake of the GT 350, it came with a variety of cosmetic upgrades unique to the model as well as the carbureted 5.0L V8 when paired with the manual transmission. You’ll find it here on eBay with a $10,500 Buy-It-Now and the option to submit a best offer.

Nostalgia is a tricky recipe when trying to figure out what will turn buyers on, and Ford encountered a mixed reaction when pairing an anniversary model with the GT 350 nomenclature. Remember, this Mustang hails from one of the darker eras for muscle cars, and Ford loyalists weren’t entirely thrilled to see how the tribute to an icon like the GT 350 turned out. You could even spec one of these anniversary models with the 2.3L four-cylinder, a real kick in the teeth.

It’s not that this is a bad car – hardly. It’s just that the GT 350 was a monster on the street and on the track, and could easily take more power and abuse. Enthusiasts may have also taken taken umbrage with the emphasis on cosmetic dress-up rather than real performance upgrades, as the only mechanical improvement took the form of the TRX handling package. The interior of this car remains quite sharp, with the package-specific dark red interior.

All GT 350s were Oxford White in color, with special body graphics/striping, fog lights, and a front air dam. This example is the most powerful iteration, with the carbureted 5.0L V8 paired to the manual gearbox, which actually offered a slight edge over automatic examples. The seller notes the automatic top and A/C work great, as does the engine and manual ‘box. No leaks are noted on the top and cruise still works. If $10.5K is too steep, there is the option to submit a best offer.

More: Ford / Mustang

SHOW CAR STAR: Ford’s Handcrafted Fairlane GT-X

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

I don’t think that there is a single car manufacturer who hasn’t, at some point, built either a concept or custom show car designed to excite the passions of the average buyer. Some of these vehicles will eventually make it into production in one form or another, while some are purely there to attract the public’s attention. In the 1960s, Ford had a pretty significant performance focus but was looking for a way to engage their “grass-roots” customers. Their answer was to create cars like this 1966 Ford Fairlane GT-X, which was then sent on a tour across the country to stir the public’s interest. Many of these cars would end their lives in the company’s crusher, but a few of them managed to survive. This is a survivor, and it is now ready to find a new home. It is set to go to auction around January 11-19, 2020, in Scottsdale, Arizona. If you would like nothing more than to own a truly unique vehicle, you will find the Ford listed for sale here at Barrett-Jackson, where it will be offered in a No Reserve auction.

It really is hard to know where to start with this car, because it is loaded with details. It started life as a regular Fairlane 500 body-shell that was removed from the production line and sent off to Ford’s prototype division for hand-assembly. The car, along with detailed drawings and specifications, was then transported to the workshop of Winfield’s Rod and Custom, in Modesto, California. It was here that the legendary Gene Winfield and his crew performed their magic to produce the car that you see before you. The front-end, grille, and headlamps received a custom finish, as did the tail-lights. The exhaust outlets (and there are four of them), were grafted into the body. Two of them exit through the rear bumper, while there is one exiting through the rear of each rocker. They aren’t there for looks, because they are all functional. The hood features custom air intakes, while there is a significant amount of custom exterior trim and chrome. The whole body was then treated to a custom mix of White Metalflake paint with Peacock Metalflake stripes. Once completed, the car was returned to Ford for show duties to draw attention to the 1966 Fairlane range. The car made its debut in January 1966 at the Autorama Show in Detroit, before crisscrossing the country to appear in everything from prestigious motor shows to county fairs. It was eventually retired from duty in early 1967. The car then fell into private hands, and only recently was it restored to its former glory. When you want to revive a classic like this, there is no better person to head the project than the man who built the car in the first place. Therefore, it fell to Gene Winfield to apply a fresh coat of that amazing paint.

The GT-X was not a case of “all show and no go,” because filling the engine bay is a 427ci “side-oiler” V8. In addition, the car is outfitted with a 3-speed automatic transmission, a 9″ rear end equipped with 4.11 gears, power steering, and power brakes. The drive-train is essentially standard but dressed up to provide that appearance of raw speed and power. Even so, there should be nothing wrong with the car’s performance when you look at the mechanical package. The presentation of the engine bay is as immaculate as you would expect from a show car, and you can be sure that a single glimpse of that engine would have generated plenty of excitement in quite a few show-goers.

If you are searching for subtlety, then looking inside the GT-X is the wrong place to commence your search. This interior is about as “in your face” as it was possible to get in 1966. The Peacock Metalflake paint that provided the stripes on the vehicle’s exterior has been continued inside the car, with that color gracing the metal surfaces. In addition, custom Peacock Metalflake vinyl was manufactured to cover the seats and door trims, and even the rim of the steering wheel. Items like the dash itself, the gauges, radio, dash pad, and the carpet, were all standard Ford production items, and they just disappear into the background against the custom trim items. Once the restoration of the vehicle had been completed, it seemed only fitting that the signature of Gene Winfield should find itself a place of honor on the door of the glove compartment.

Manufacturers still produce concepts and show cars today, but they don’t seem to quite grab the public’s imagination in the way that cars like these used to. Personally, I think that their success lay in the fact that while they appeared to be quite outrageous and extraverted, in reality, it was actually conceivable to transform a standard 1966 Fairlane GT into something similar in appearance. It would never be a cheap undertaking, but the average punter could look at a car like this and see that it was aspirational but achievable. That’s something that you can’t say about the majority of such cars that appear today. Maybe there is something to be said for adopting the simpler approach that is embodied in this car.

More: Fairlane GT / Ford / GT-X / Show Cars

1-Of-9: 1970 Ford Ranchero GT 429CJ Ram Air

Jay B
Jay B

Described by its seller as a “survivor with lots of character” (i.e. dents, rust, scratches, some repaint), this ’70 Ranchero GT is just 1 of 9 cars offered that year with a 429 Cobra Jet Ram Air, C-6 automatic transmission, black paint, and red interior. According to a Marti Report sanctioned in 2018, of those 9 cars, it’s the only black Ranchero GT with a red vinyl bench seat. Hmmm…is that a good thing or a bad thing? Available here on eBay at the BIN price of $27,500, this Ranchero is located in Troy, Michigan.

Only two exterior photos of the car are provided in the ad, and both feature the car’s passenger side. According to How to Sell a Car on eBay Motors, “photos should be taken from several vantage points.” Does the seller actually think someone is going to offer-up nearly twenty-eight large for a car they can only see one-half of? As previously mentioned, the seller describes the car as a survivor and suggests its new owner may want to enjoy it as-is versus restoring it. Close-up pictures showing the dents, rust, and scratches disclosed by the seller in the ad are certainly needed before anyone of sane mind were to pay the BIN price. Or you can hop on I-90 for a quick trip to Michigan to see the car in person.

The only-one-in-existence red vinyl bench seat (that is, in a black ’70 Ranchero GT with a 429CJ and C-6 auto) sure looks to be in almost new condition. No doubt, storing the car at the seller’s climate-controlled office is helping to wonderfully preserve the vinyl. Wait…climate-controlled office? I’ve seen mopeds, motorcycles and even the occasional microcar parked in seller’s living rooms. But a Ranchero parked in an office? That must be some office! Mileage is currently at 72,300, however, according to the seller, it will continue to go up on sunny days when he uses the car to run errands to Home Depot or the local bank. This Ranchero is reported to run great and the seller claims he experienced no issues driving it to and from the 2019 Woodward Dream Cruise near Detroit a few months ago.

A recent tune-up to the V-8 429CJ included new plugs, replacing the points with a PerTronix ignitor, and adjusting the timing. The carburetor has been rebuilt, all fluids have been changed, and the seller notes the replacement of original exhaust manifolds with headers. A new battery, brakes, tires, headliner, and rebuilt rear leaf springs rounds out the list of maintenance that’s been performed on the car. The seller claims he has receipts to go with the work that’s been done in addition to the aforementioned Marti Report, as well as the original bill of sale from Gateway Motors in White River Junction, Vermont. What are your thoughts on this rare Ranchero?

Similar to the one Lorne recently parked in his Garage.

Life Car: 26K Mile 1975 Mercedes 240D

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1975 Mercedes-Benz 240D is far from the most collectible Mercedes out there, but with just 26,000 original miles and seemingly spotless condition, it may be one of the best ones out there. These W114/W115 sedans can just as easily end up in the junkyard as they can appear for sale with an asking price of $14,999, so it the question becomes whether you should spend that much in the first place. Find this pristine example here on craigslist near Philadelphia.

Thanks to Barn Finds reader Russel G. for the find. The seller is quite enthusiastic about the car’s overall appearance, which does look about how you’d expect for an example with such low mileage. The seller notes it is finished in the factory non-metallic color of Dark Red with a Tobacco-colored MB Tex vinyl interior. The Mercedes was always garage kept, and the lack of obvious sun fading (such as on the bumper trim) is a testament to the benefits of indoor storage.

While it is quite hard to destroy an MB Tex interior, they can still turn to tatters just like any other car if not maintained. Not the case here, as everything looks showroom fresh, from the dash to the console to the carpets and the steering wheel. Gauge faces are crystal clear, and the seller notes that the “Berber loop-style carpeting” is also in fine shape. This 240D sports a column shift, which I have to imagine is somewhat rare in a sea of console-shift automatics.

As a diesel-equipped Mercedes, the epic low mileage means you are literally looking at a new car (even with 26,000 miles on the clock). These engines, though stout, are also not the most robust performers, but looking for outright speed defeats the purpose of choosing the diesel drivetrain – you want longevity, and the kind of reliability that can emerge unscathed when the rest of world goes to hell. It won’t ever be worth big bucks, but it’ll start every time.

More: Mercedes-Benz

1-of-8? 1970 Ford Torino Cobra Twister Special

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

While there is no disputing the fact that Ford produced 90 examples of the 1970 Torino Cobra Twister Special, there are a few questions regarding just how many of these cars remain in existence today. Barn Finder Pat L spotted this rare manual Twister for us, so thank you so much for that Pat. It is located in Springdale, Arkansas, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. The owner is asking $68,500 for this muscular Ford classic.

Like its cousin the Mustang Mach 1 Twister, the Torino Cobra Twister was built in limited numbers for its Kansas City Ordering District. All of the Torinos were finished in Calypso Coral, with the distinctive Twister graphic on the rear quarter panels. The paint looks to be in really nice condition, although it isn’t clear whether this is original, or if the Torino has received a repaint at some point in its life. The graphics also appear to be good, while the external chrome and trim is all present and accounted for. One non-original item on this car is the wheels because the vehicle should sport a set of steel wheels with hubcaps and trim rings. Having said that, this isn’t the first Torino Twister that I’ve spotted with these wheels, and they don’t look too bad. However, I would probably be inclined to at least attempt to source the correct items to preserve the original appearance.

Powering the numbers-matching Twister Special is a 429ci Cobra Jet V8, pumping out 370 healthy horses. The power finds its way to the Traction-Lok rear end via a 4-speed close-ratio manual transmission, while interestingly, the car features no power assistance for either the steering or the brakes. Now we get to the crux of what potentially makes this car special. As previously stated, there is no disputing the fact that Ford built 90 examples of the Torino Twister Special. These were split into 60 vehicles fitted with an automatic transmission, and 30 that rolled off the line with a 4-speed. The owner claims that this particular car is 1-of-8 known manual Twisters in existence today. There is a possibility that this figure is accurate, although various sources suggest numbers as low as 5, and as high as 13 cars. I went and had a look at the Twister Registry, and it didn’t provide me with a lot of help. At present, they only show a total of 10 Torino Twisters on the Registry, and of these, only 2 are manual versions. It’s worth noting that the pair includes this particular car. My personal belief is that any potential buyers will really need to undertake some careful investigation in an attempt to confirm the correct figures.

I get the impression that the Twister’s interior trim might be original, and while it isn’t perfect, it still looks okay. There is some damage to the seat on the driver’s side, and I’d really like to get a look at what is hiding under the tape. If the damage is not too bad, then a good upholsterer might be able to undertake a “blind” repair. This would maintain the car’s originality but would have to look better than what is currently there. The carpet is also showing a bit of wear and fading, but unless the next owner is fixated with a faultless presentation, I would be inclined to leave it as it is. The remainder of the interior trim, the dash, and the pad, all present very nicely.

This Torino Twister Special is a car that is going to require some homework by potential buyers in a bid to confirm the owner’s claims regarding surviving examples. Regardless of which figure you would feel inclined to believe now, there is one thing that is almost certain, and that is that there are less than 30 manual examples roaming around our streets today. I really doubt that they will have achieved a 100% survival rate. I guess that the big question has to be just what this car is actually worth to the right person. With such a limited production run, these don’t come onto the market that often, and when they do, they are almost always automatic versions. A nice automatic went to auction last year and fetched over $45,000, while there is a completely dismantled car for sale at present in need of significant rust repairs. That one can be yours for a cool $32,000. With this one being solid, clean, and largely original, I tend to think that the pricing is pretty fair.

More: Ford / Torino Cobra / Twister Special

Back