2021 World Juniors

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
2021 world Jr Championships are in Edmonton Alberta this year.
They are in a bubble and hopefully all the teams can have as few issues
as possible, so the world see's a great tournament.

Canada plays its first game on Saturday at 6pm et
Against Germany.

This is some of the best hockey you will see each year, hopefully
this year will be no exception. I am quite looking forward to it.

Watched 3 of 4 exhibition games yesterday....maybe a bit of hockey withdrawl? Fairly innocent hit on Russian by Dach that cost Canada and likely Chicago a promising player for part of 2021. Commentators don't take long setting expectations for Canada with statements like "Canada likely 3-0 by New Years", "20 first round draft picks", 7 of top 10 picks" and the like. All 3 games linked like scripted scrimmages, since most players haven't seen much competitive action since March. As always, skill on the ice is a big part of it but how quickly the teams gel and how much heart goes into each of the matches will have the top teams showing their colors over the next week. Looking forward some hockey, but I think I'm ready for anything, at this point! Go CANADA!!

Canada, US, Finland, Sweden and Rusia should play a separate tournament or the whole thing should be played by divisions. I’m sure was not very encouraging for those kids on the Germans and Austrian teams to have double digits/

Germany had 9 players sitting out who tested covid +. Played with 24 skaters. They could have had Austria's lineup on the bench and finish with a similar result. Agree with Carlos.... a seeding round robin for bottom 6 teams would have an improved product. But, shouldn't complain much. Haven't had much hockey to watch in awhile!

Felt bad for Germany. I think it was 14 skaters they had...9 forwards and 5 defence. Should have been a bit more competitive if it wasn’t for covid. The way the cards fell I’m not sure if it’s good or bad for Canada. All the “power” teams are in the other pool. Biggest test will come against Finland. Let’s just hope they don’t get put into cruise control and forget that there are teams on the other side just waiting to destroy them lol.

Never got a chance to watch it. Saw updates of the score. Doesn’t seem that there was much of a competition. I agree has to suck for the other team having 9 guys out of the lineup.

Yes the pools need to be switched up a bit or different divisions as some have suggested.

cannot be any fun with numbers like that

they were also missing, 2 first round draft picks and their top goalie,
that didn't even make the trip because of covid. being without top guys
and short players makes for a long game.

Because of the way the tournament is designed top teams have to play hard,
playing soft creates bad habits and series happens so fast, being on track matters.
I agree mercy rule is likely best answer.

Funny the bottom 4 teams fight very hard to even make this torunmant, even with bad
games and bottom 5 results, there is alot of pride to even make this tournament
and for some players, as bad as it may have been, it will be the highest level they will
ever reach.

The pools are switched every year with relegation and re-entry of two teams.
Bottom 2 out, 2 new ones in.

It gives teams from all over the world a chance to get in.
Like Trevor says, for some getting in is the victory.

Last time Germany played was 2015 and they got relegated that year.
Took them 5 years to get back.
They blame the Oilers for that because they did not allow Leon Draisaitl play that year.
This year they can blame Covid.

So this year, Germany and Austria likely relegated, and will get replaced by 2 new teams next year.

If they went to 8 team tournament, no other team in the world would have a chance.
It would be Canada, US, Sweden, Finland, Russia, Czech Rep., Slovakia and Switzerland.

Even worse at 6 teams. Be the same less Slovakia and Switzerland.
Rest of the world would have nothing to strive for.

If you ask them, I’m sure they all want s chance to get in.
It’s the top tier of hockey.
They don’t expect their opponents to take it easy.
And in a short tournament, all the top teams have to go all out from the start to gel, work out the kinks and get the PP and PK working, and get ready for tougher opponent each successive game.

Canada is in an easier pool because they are defending champs.
It pretty much guaranties them a buy through first round of eliminations.
The perks of being defending champ.

You can’t have mercy rule.
You can’t tell top teams to not play at their potential.
You can’t end game after a certain goal differential.
That’s going back to introduction minor hockey level.
Not at highest level in world.

I bet us Canadians are the only ones thinking like that.
We’re used to competitive games everywhere we watch.
And we don’t like beating up on small guys.

But I bet the Germans and Austrians are all proud to be there because it means they are among the top 10 best teams in the world.

Slovakia played well yesterday. PEI kid from Cornwall potted Canada's first goal. Games still lacking chemistry inside scoring home plate but D top pairing is clicking. A good test to allow focus for team skate on the off day, today. Pool B seems to be putting up the best competition among top 4 teams. Should be a good week of hockey.

Slovakia, played really well and Canada maybe bit of German hangover.
this is why ever game is so important.its a strange year and teams
that normally not a big challenge, are. Should be fun to watch,

Next up the Swiss, they always play Canada tough and New years this
year Finland, looks like have a very good team.
its why we watch the games,

So Germany had an interesting preliminary round. After losing all those players and getting pounded by Canada, they made it to the next round. Won their last two games and will finish third. Nice to see. They deserve the third spot and that forward they have who belongs to the Sens looks like he could be a star in the making.

So Germany had an interesting preliminary round. After losing all those players and getting pounded by Canada, they made it to the next round. Won their last two games and will finish third. Nice to see. They deserve the third spot and that forward they have who belongs to the Sens looks like he could be a star in the making.
your right and they deserve considering their road to the world Jr's
That kid ( Ottawa pic) is the real deal. lots of talent.

Back