Convertible top issues !! - Fixed

Wow !!!, replacing my engine and 2 clutches and flywheels in 2 summers wasn't much more than that. Glad your back on the road, see you at the Nationals. Can you make it to the Mustang show June 30th at Hatheway in Tracadie ?

Insane price, looks like we should all keep an eye for someone who can do this work,
with a little less money and BS than what you went through.
Very happy your back in the saddle, and look forward to seeing you and Sally
at the Nationals.

Yeah I agree insane is right and dealerships are at a 100 dollars an hour for rate these days so it is what it is I guess ? plus the parts are only available through the dealer so mega $$$ and no aftermarket stuff !! I agree that it would be real nice if we could find someone to do this type of work for future reference as there are a lot of these cars out there and we never know when one of us will encounter that type of problem again? By what I can tell it don't matter if you have a Mustang, Camaro, Sebring or any kind of rag top it just seems like no one works on them things ?? scary !! Ah well the thing seems to work better than when it was new now so we'll tag this as an experience and start to scrap up the bucks to pay the bill.......:( Yeah we too are looking forward to a Vacation and seeing all you guys again !!

Glad to hear you're back rolling with your top down but ducks to put such a hole in your pocketbook.... A wack of mod options in that number! Almost puts you in the Go Fund Me category. I wondered how many sympathetic stang owners out there would feel you pain and send a few bucks your way?!

Well there you go, awesome idea !! Start manufacturing a stronger replacement brace that could be installed before issues happen. Actually this would be very easy to do when top up and intact as problems really only occur when the darn thing breaks, I know I would have changed mine if I would have known ahead of time and if option existed !! lol. I was telling Jason to check those braces for signs of fatigue but if a replacement existed problem would be solved......not a bad idea, maybe your on to something here....lol

That sounds like a good idea .. I remember when I bought my first tent trailer and a cable snapped , not many people would touch it and those that would were quoting bug bucks , I figured it out and fixed it . Then posted an add to fix others , kept me way too busy for awhile, but made some good $ ...

Great idea Gerry! Preventative maintenance fix for sure. This way only brackets would need replaced. In your research on the internet Roger how commun of a problem was it? I still cannot believe the outrageous amount of money they charged you.

Seems like it was quite common with 05-06 models. Then they revised the brackets I believe in 07, 10 then again in 14 according to one of the parts managers I spoke to along the way. Saw online a few places where guys have removed the brackets and welded a washer in the back of them where it usually breaks so this could be done in preventative way or even when it is broken but only if roof did not let go when it was up like mine did as it came down all side ways causing a bunch twisting and issues. 05-06 brackets are made of white metal which is too weak for that kind of stress and Ford had apparently came up with a TSB on them but not a recall. Any of you guys with the same type of car should really check these brackets out for signs of fatigue as it is preventable by reinforcing them but you need a very good welder for the fix making sure that nothing obstructs it's path when moving up and down. When these brackets break just a small amount of twisting can cause huge problems and then you need to find the right guy to solve this stuff out which believe me is not that easy. Violette Ford in Edmundston were telling me that they have done a bunch of these along the way and that it is a common problem, and by the way they were the only ones I could find that does that type of work ?? So there you go Gerry, set yourself up and save us poor guys here some bucks !! lol (keep in mind Charlie that half the money was for parts and the other for labor and I could have maybe gotten away with replacing only one bracket but did not want to take the chance so extra $1500 or so here plus labor ??).

Wow! Reading your journey, i am almost scared right now.... mine as all know is due to change the top itself, but in the last couple of weeks, it developed a worry some problem: it doesn’t go back down (or up for that matter) straight anymore.
I’ve went to ford and bought the two top cables brand new, hoping this along with the new top install will fix that issue. It does look like only a lazy cable, but now i am getting worried everytime i drop the top. Sometimes it have a reallt hard time to reach the brackets/lockets to lock the top closed (above sun visor) on the driver side, which seems to be the lazy side. I believe the lazyness went worst since Gerry seen it when he came to my home last month/couple of weeks back

lets just say i am currently thinking twice about dropping my top....

would be wise to have it reinforced now, simple weld repair.
this could eliminate what Roger went through.
A good welder can do it and relatively cheap.

Hey Max, I would say your problem is more with the hydraulics so I would first check your cylinder on that side and then also make sure that your fluid is topped up in tank behind the rear seat, if low it causes it to not go down all the way. Now if your roof doesn't sit right down in the pins or close enough it will cause stress on those "famous brackets" when you force it down to latch which can eventually lead to a break. So yep I would pay attention to this as soon as you can and if you need more info.you know where to find me buddy.

On the topic of convertible roofs here is another heads up to another issue. If your cylinders were ever to start leaking (05-14 models) you can bet that you will notice very soon as it will drip right into where your seat belts roll back in and this will just ruin your belt and not to mention your clothes. And oh yes it did happen to me, twice, so a trick would be to cut out a piece of thick foil or something of the sort and make a drip pan on top of the seat belt roller. System is filled with transmission fluid and we all know that it just smells real strong.

Glad you got it solved Roger.
All OE parts from all manufacturers are expensive.
You convertible owners should head Roger's advice.
I think another issue when the cylinders leak or fluid in tank gets low is overload on the pump motor.
This caused a burnt wire in Roger's car.
So, at the extreme there may even be a fire risk.
Roger's bill is high but his case was almost a case of everything that could go wrong, did.
He replaced two brackets each $1500.00 and the cables(don't know price on them).
So a bit more than half the bill was parts, if I understand correctly.

If weather permits you just never know Fred as I am off on that weekend. We do have plans but might be able to get away for a cruise as I am due for a run that's for sure so may not participate but would like to go for the drive and see you guys....

Cables Marc were something like $240.00 for the pair at the dealer. They are available aftermarket at more than half the price but I didn't have time to order. Cylinders, motor and hydraulic tubing are also available aftermarket in the States and priced way under OEM. I didn't need any of that stuff (ouf thank god) as for example the tubing kit, without cylinders or motor, sells for $1100.00 at dealer and is available in the States for something like a few hundred dollars. I also found out with this experience that prices vary with different dealers so check around before buying, this shouldn't be but it is happening ???

Well wouldn't you know it !!! Out for a small ride last night with better half and when she got out of the car her clothes were stained with oil along with that famous smell of transmission oil, great !! Man been there before so by what I could tell when dealer doing the maintenance on that side must have dropped a little bit of oil in that seatbelt roller when removing the tubing as I have no dripping or leaks?? All cleaned up and ready to go but getting a bit frustrated with non ending issues !!

Its always something, sad thing is even new cars have issues now.
Maybe first few years its warranty, but always something.

The behind my back seats is full 100%, first thing i checked when i noticed the weird movement the first time. I hope to be able to get a video in the message to fully show my situation. No leak, no smell, no weird noises to report.

Back