Convertible top issues !! - Fixed

Wow. Crazy what they are saying it's gonna cost. Gotta be a cheaper solution somewhere out there. I'm sure someone can find a person out there willing to do the work at a reasonable price.

It is out there, we the Mustang community, need to get the word out to everyone we know
and someone will know someone, that can do it right for fair price.

Not necessarily, a frontal impact that deploys airbags would be enough for Insurance Company to write off car on a 9, 10 year old car, and everything from firewall back is salvageable. I'll look in to it and advise.

Yep ran across that info too and Gerry sent it to me as well. Tried to do what they say but the weld doesn't hold. I'm pretty sure that when the bracket broke it bent some stuff along with it so now it's to find someone to align this thing and I think I would be good to go but easier said then done. No one in the Miramichi area that you would know of who does this kind of work ??

Thanks, never knew about this place. I did find some parts on Ebay but funny that some say that the side rails will fit 05-14 but others only 05-09 / 10-14. Would have to check with dealer to make sure before ordering cause them parts are not cheap.

I managed to get a couple contacts today.
One is long time ( hard core ) Mustang guy who has restored many from ground up.
the others do tops, liners and upholstery, but both have done more than a few mustangs.
Roger can you take a couple of picks and send to my cell phone, so I can show them the issue.
Maybe it can be fixed, versus totally replaced, which would be faster and much cheaper.

Yep took some pics at B&J's the other day when they had it apart and I also have some of the broken bracket so I'll send them to you as soon as I can. And rest assured I'll get the darn thing down there one way or another if they feel they can do something for me as I would really like to get this resolved before putting it away... I'd like a peaceful winter without any worries !!! lol
I am quite confident that it can be fixed and like I said if I have to replace a few parts no problem but the whole rack sounds a bit extreme to me so just a matter of finding the right guy to look at it ??
And thanks there Trevor for checking around for me, much appreciated !!

I spoke to one guy today, that believes he could actually make new parts. or knows a guy who could.
He recommended above average welding shop or machine shop. Might cost couple hundred, but would be new or done right.

Ask around locally for a good fabricator, I know a kid ( now out west ) could make them with his eyes closed.
Also talk to any local cars guys who have restored old cars, they will know someone locally who has build, fixed
most everything over the years. These are the guys I have spoken to so far.
Couple of guys I know would need the car and could restore from ground up LOL.

Checking this out on my end as well, probably going to find a fabricator or good welder up here I would think ?? Actually just got the name of a new machine shop that opened up in the area so going to check this out, but what I need the most is someone who knows these roofs so I can have the darn thing lined up and adjusted, now these guys are real hard to find. :mad: You would think that with the amount or rag tops out there that it would be easier to find someone but just not the case....

anything is fixable, is a matter of doing for reasonable price.
New rack and top, installed Roger was quoted $10k

Roger spoke to a guy today who has built more than a few Mustangs.
He said 5-6 hour repair. and if can't find parts new, can find used and take off whats needed.
He believes the rack is 05 to 14 but is going to check. He is also going to check to
see if he can get parts off a wrecked car. He also it can't be welded unless the welder is exceptional.

Only down side is he is here in Dartmouth.

Did some checking around in the area today for a machine shop that could re-produce this bracket or weld it and on both count it was pretty much a no-go. So went to local dealer here and he treated me pretty good so I am probably going to be ordering a new right side rail on Monday, price he gave me is around 580.00 less that what Hatheway in Bathurst had quoted me last week. Think I would feel better having a new part as it would give me peace of mind. Also Max connected me to a friend of his who does roofs in the Tracadie area but he is quite busy and doesn't know when he can take me. Sounds like he knows what he is doing but he hasn't aligned any of them before but willing to take a look. Now on the other hand Trevor if this guy is the real thing I have no issues running it down to Darthmouth, believe me all I want is to have it done correctly. Just keep me informed on what he finds out and if he needs a new part ordered ??? And thanks guys, the Mustang community is something else let me tell you, just awesome !!!

Well Fred for awhile I thought I would have to go to space to get this darn thing fixed...lol
But with everyone looking and asking around I think we are going to find someone sooner or later, doesn't look as much of a desperate situation as it looked last week !!

Finally getting some prices that are not to scary. Hopefully it all comes together. You are correct the mustang community is something else.

Back