Convertible top issues !! - Fixed

No question something is off, it goes up very crooked.
I would likely leave it up until you figure out what the problem
is, not only that, what ever your problem is putting uneven load on
frame of system.

Can't access video from where I am now Max..........but will look at it when I get home. I really doubt that the cables would play that much of a role if your top is going up crooked but you never know?? To me it would seem more like an hydraulic problem than anything else ?? Could also be something not working properly with one of your brackets so I would definitely look for someone that knows these things and have it checked out before anything breaks. Believe me you do not want that to happen !!!

To each his own, I like the Structural Rigidity the Coupe offers. You going to the Show at Hathaway Ford in Tracadie on the 30th ? I am meeting Marcel, 5.0 at the MacDo in Douglastown at 8 that morning to ensure a shady spot against the Dealership Building.

I won’t be able to attend this year since it falls at the same date as julie’s yearly family reunion. I will be in st-leonard next weekend. Raincheck for next year tho!!

Just watched your video Max and if I had to bet at first glance I would go with the hydraulics having an issue of some kind. But now looking at it a few more times when your roof comes down it switches the other way which may be caused by something not working properly in one of your brackets, kind of like it was too tight or something. Hard problem to solve so I wouldn't play with it too much before having it checked because if it breaks when it's up it will surely twist a few things along the way coming back down ....

I know I’ve noticed the switchback too at the end of the movement. There is a lot of adjustements in those tops, along with the high amount of moving parts involved. I will have to bite the bullet and go here in moncton to the more expensive guys... they are the ones doing the verts for Taylor Ford, so i hope they can fix all my issues in a one stop shop. Fingers crossed!

If you are referring to the shop on Shediac Road they could not do anything for me last year. Now Fred looked into this for me earlier this spring and was telling me that they have found someone who does the structural work for them, so maybe they could help you now ?? I know the guy that replaces the covers at that shop is excellent at it. Taylor Ford would not come near my problem so quite weird for such a big dealership, after all they will sell you a convertible at first chance. Good luck Max and keep us posted .....

I've been in touch with a contact I have @TaylorFord and he sent me to Dynamic Motorsports here in Moncton. They are doing all their work when it relates to convertible top. They've quoted me the same exact price as B&J auto upholstery (Shediac Rd) quoted me. Since Dynamic is where Taylor sends ALL of their top work, that's who I chose. My choice is more along this chain of thought: if they have all the work from the dealer, they must have dealt with unaligned top+frames in the past and succeeded, if not the dealer wouldn't go back.

**** I must say I had a way better deal at Noble's upholstery in Lower Sackville, NS for the installation of my new top and new cables. But I had never mentioned to them this problem that had just developed, and I feel like having my car a little closer to home should they run into any issues while getting the new top on.

I am going to show them (Dynamic) the car tomorrow during the day so they can assess what is going in with this twist I've got on tape. Will report back my findings.

Enjoy St-Leonard Max.
Some good people up there.
I'm curious who your wife's family is now.
Anyway if all goes well, I'll be in Tracadie.

Someone had mentioned Dynamic to me last year but when I checked it out they were in construction and no one around, tried a second time and same results so gave up. But I did hear that they do this type of work so maybe your on to something here ?? If they are able to do the work and have to take the top apart to repair you may as well have them install your new canvas and cables. Anyways I really hope it's just a minor thing !!!

Quick update. I've met Jason @DynamicMotorsports this morning, along with the tech that WILL DO my car next Tuesday. They will install my new top, along with my new cables. As far as my top being lazy, they aren't sure YET if it is only due to the driver side cable that seem to have no tension what so ever or if it is the driver side hydraulic cylinder itself starting to crap out.
Once apart and getting rebuilt, they will let me know. There is basically two options in this situation: I order the two cylinders (one each sides) from our friends at @americanmuscle once I know if the driver side is the culprit. I think if I change one, I should at least change the other so both will be fresh. That is the relatively low cost option, should I need to dive into the hydraulic. The other option is to order part # 8R3Z-76533A00-K directly from Taylor Ford. This would replace both cylinder with new plus the PUMP/MOTOR assembly (and maybe lines, I am not sure at this point). This option tho is $1,537.00+HST worth of parts, not mentioning what the installation would be costing.
Again, I will update next week when they call me back to pickup the car. To this point, we could not find anything bent in the frame itself; okay, loose bushings but nothing out of the ordinary for an 11 years old 120 000kms car. New top installation along with new cable should take 1 to 1.25 days, so I will report next Thursday from my end and you SHOULD see this new top in person at Friday's Nationals Cruise!

Glad you found someone to work on this stuff. IMHO I would definitely change both cylinders if one is getting weak so that way peace of mind that both will work the same. Not sure about that kit from ford but I believe that the tubing is sold separately and like I posted earlier on you can get that tubing in the states at a way lower cost. Hope it all works out for you pal !!!

Back