Barn Finds

Nice Shed Find: 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

After spending its early life in Texas, this 1970 Mustang Mach 1 made its way to Wisconsin in 1990. It was immediately parked in a shed, and there it remained for the following 28-years. The current owner released it from captivity in October of 2018, returned it to the road, and has now decided to part with it. If you would like to become the next proud owner of an incredibly solid and clean Mach 1, you will find this one located in Colfax, Wisconsin, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $21,600, and with the reserve having been met, it is a classic that is set to go to a new home.

The first thing to note is the photos that the owner provides of the Mustang’s underside. This one is pretty indicative of what you will find, and they really don’t come a lot cleaner than this. There are no obvious issues with significant rust anywhere on the vehicle. Not only do the floors look this good, but the trunk pan is in a similar state. There is no external rust visible anywhere, although areas such as the rockers are a bit difficult to view clearly. This Mustang is also a very clear demonstration of how tastes vary from one person to another, especially in the classic car scene. The Red paint that the Mustang wears looks very attractive, but to my mind, it probably doesn’t have the sort of impact that the car would have had finished in its original Grabber Blue. It isn’t clear why the color change took place, but it did so in the 1980s. The fact that it has held up as well as it has over the intervening decades would seem to suggest that the repaint was completed to a reasonable standard. The owner rates the paint as a 6/10, so the car could be driven and enjoyed as it currently stands, or the next owner could choose to have the Mustang repainted once again. Their big choice would probably be whether to apply a fresh coat of red, or whether they would return the car to its original color.

Powering the Mustang is a 351ci Cleveland V8 engine. It isn’t clear whether the engine that resides under the hood today is the original unit, but if it is, then it’s an M-Code that would have produced 290hp. The original owner also chose to equip the Mach 1 with a 4-speed manual transmission, power steering, and power front disc brakes. After its extended hibernation, the current owner treated the Mustang to all of the work that you would normally expect would be required to return the car to a roadworthy state. It looks like it has received a new fuel tank, along with a new exhaust with aftermarket headers. The entire front end has been replaced, as were the tires, and the carburetor. The brakes received a full overhaul, and while the owner doesn’t specifically detail how well the Mach 1 now runs and drives, that list of work does show plenty of promise in that regard.

Continuing the Ford’s theme of being tidy and presentable, the interior of the Mustang doesn’t look to be too bad. The upholstered surfaces all look to be quite good, as does the carpet. There is a slightly odd look to the color on the dash pad, but it is free of cracks. I suspect that some work with a quality cleaner and preservative would have this looking quite nice once again. The cover is missing off the steering column, but if the owner doesn’t have this, then replacements are available at a very affordable price. The Mustang is fitted with factory air conditioning, and while the system appears to be complete, it doesn’t currently blow cold. It’s also worth noting that the Mustang was originally equipped with a factory AM radio, but it has been replaced at some point with an AM/FM radio/8-track player. Overall though, the interior of the Mustang would appear to be just as presentable and serviceable as the rest of the vehicle.

Finding a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 as clean as this hidden away in a shed must rate as a pretty nice sort of score for the owner. It would appear that he has done all that is needed to return the car to active duty while leaving the big choices to be made by the next owner. I can see no reason why it couldn’t be driven and enjoyed exactly as it currently stands, but I have to admit that I would be very tempted to have the paint stripped, and a fresh coat of Grabber Blue applied to the vehicle. We’ve seen some pretty rusty Mustang project cars appear across the desks here at Barn Finds in the past, and the owners of those vehicles have sometimes been asking some pretty outrageous prices for their cars. This one is a solid one that has been offered with a very realistic reserve, which has to make it a very tempting proposition.

More: Ford / Mach 1 / Mustang

Ha, I just noticed that the last 3 Posts should be in Fender Envy, this one belongs here.

No Reserve Driver: 1988 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1988 Ford Mustang GT is a decent driver that has some mild cosmetic needs but nothing worth losing sleep over. Mileage is average at just under 90,000, but the real victory here is finding a car that remains in stock condition with no rust. This hatchback-body GT looks tidy on stock Pony wheels and the factory bodykit, but the interior and engine bay will need some reconditioning to be considered pristine. Find the Mustang here on eBay with bids just over $5K, no reserve, and the auction concluding tonight.

The interior is probably the biggest let-down, from the crummy aftermarket steering wheel to tired carpet that the seller notes has some staining. The seats are said to be in good shape, but my sense is that left-side thigh bolster is looking a bit compressed. The large, aftermarket shift knob is a turn-off, but easily remedied. The A/C is a question mark as the seller has replaced the accumulator hose but has not charged the system – so while it may no longer leak, it also doesn’t actually function yet, either. The seller has installed a new clutch, various seals/weatherstripping, passenger-side window motor, and more.

The headlights are tired and would benefit from a buff or straight replacement, given how cheap aftermarket lenses have become. The engine bay is definitely in need of a detailing, and both of those cosmetic improvements alone would likely change the way this Mustang appears to internet buyers. Shockingly, it retains a stock, factory airbox – I thought all of those had been tossed out in favor of K&N Cold Air intakes years ago. Despite the tired appearance, the seller says this Mustang is a healthy horse mechanically and that the Flowmaster exhaust is the only change from stock condition.

Overall, this is the kind of Mustang you could enjoy right now, while making some simple cosmetic improvements for it to truly stand out from other stock, preserved examples. Finding a Fox Body that hasn’t been overly modified or simply left to rot is getting harder to pull off, so buying an example that’s had some money spent on it and treated as a nice-day driver is a safe bet, both from a future ROI standpoint and for the immediate gratification factor. With some time spent detailing and perhaps the removal of the window tint, I could see this clean ’88 going for even more money next time around.

More: Ford / Mustang

This 1959 Edsel Corsair Survivor Slept For 38 Years!

blank.gif
Jim Motavalli

If originality is your thing, have I got an Edsel for you! This survivor, a 1959 Corsair two-door hardtop with just 18,677 miles on the odometer, is for sale here on Craigslist in Floral City, Florida near Tampa. The owner is asking $21,000 or best offer.

The car was stored for 38 years but is back on the road with everything you’d think it would need—brakes, tires, carburetor, battery, fuel pump and a complete tuneup. Since getting back on the road, it has covered 500 miles.

The story goes that the first owner of this lovely Edsel was a traveling salesman for the Watkins Vanilla company. He bought the car new in the Detroit area, and when he died his widow stored it—until 2008, when she also died. The second owner bought it at the estate sale and put it away again. The total time in storage: 38 years. The third owner got it going again and is selling it.

Just about everything about this car looks good. The VIN translates to a two-door hardtop built February 4, 1959, with snow-white paint, redwood vinyl bolster interior with redwood reception cloth inserts, a Mile-o-Matic two-speed automatic, and a 2.91 rear axle ratio. The owner doesn’t say which engine is under the hood, but a clean V8 is in the pictures. Stock in this car was a 332-cubic-inch mill with two-barrel carburetor and 225 horsepower. Optional was a 361-cubic-inch V-8 with a four-barrel and 303 horsepower.

There’s some surface rust on the underside of the hood, but the engine bay otherwise looks fine. Even the original windshield washer bag is in place. The interior looks like two different colors in the photos, but I’m sure that’s just a trick of the light.

The current owner (who must be into Edsels, because the photo at the bottom of this post shows the car with a similarly nice 1960 model) says he’s taken the car to a bunch of car shows, where it always draws a crowd. He says the original paint, stainless, chrome and interior are like new. The long Rip Van Winkle doesn’t seem to have done it much harm. There’s only one underneath shot, and again surface rust is the worst crime evident.

It’s your move. Hagerty lists the #3 value of a good Corsair two-door hardtop of this vintage as $12,600, but this one definitely gets some added value for originality and low mileage. In Concours #1 condition, they can reach $30,000.

It wouldn’t take much to make this car a show winner. “No issues,” says the owner. There can’t be too many of these cars left in original condition. As you may recall, Edsels didn’t sell all that well.

More: Edsel Corsair

15K Mile 1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This pristine 1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC shows an incredible 14,900 miles from new, and the seller notes it was most recently part of a extensive automobile collection. The Lincoln is a top-of-the-line model fitted with optional equipment and featuring a Midnight Red Clearcoat paintjob over Currant Red articulated sport seats. The drivetrain is perhaps one of the most durable and mod-friendly you can find, but this example of Lincoln’s flagship coupe should never be modified. Find it here on eBay with bids to $9,400 and the reserve unmet.

The lines of Lincoln’s classic 80s coupe continue to get better with age, and while the Fox Body Mustang continues to appreciate nicely, I feel like the Mark VII LSC is perpetually under-appreciated. Many of them have gone to the junkyard, or been subjected to years of cheap owners that like the idea of an affordable luxury car; less so the idea of maintaining one. This example has obviously been appreciated since new, and I dig the optional alloy wheels that it wears and minty bucket seats.

From the front, you can see it retains its original, un-cracked Marchal fog lamps and the headlights show no sign of haziness. The grill and all associated chrome bits gleam like new, but it’s not overwhelming – unlike modern luxury vehicle’s fascination with huge grills dripping with polished surfaces, the Lincoln almost looks restrained in comparison. That was one of this car’s best features, in my opinion – luxurious, yes, but with an emphasis on subtlety. To me, this Lincoln is still extremely handsome today.

Under the hood, you got the venerable 5.0L V8, making it a breeze to maintain while offering respectable performance and great noise if you wanted it. The seller notes the engine, automatic transmission, and steering all function as intended, and really, this is effectively as close to new as you’re like to find for this generation of Lincoln’s marquee coupe. Find a better one, as they say, and right now the bidding seems slightly light against what a car of this caliber should fetch.

More: Lincoln

Crew Cab 4×4: 24K Mile 1974 Ford

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

It seems like 70s-era Ford pickups are becoming more desired every day. If you follow the classic truck market as I do, you’ve seen nice examples go from the $10-20K range a decade ago, jumping to the $20-50K range now. As these trucks approach the fifty-year-old mark, their status as classics is getting stronger. This particular 1974 F-250 4×4 crew cab has 24K original miles and has all the makings to be a strong seller, which the eBay bidding reflects. With a current bid over $20,000, the reserve has not been met yet. The seller doesn’t have a buy-it-now price, so it’s hard to determine what they think the value is. Located in the southwest Idaho town of Homedale, this truck looks like it just drove off a ranch in 1975. Check out this amazing truck!

Although the truck has low mileage and is in mostly original condition, the seller says the upholstery has been re-done. You can see the diamond pattern seat covers on the twin benches has been done in a very handsome saddle-colored leather. This treatment really adds to the ranch look of the truck and is perfect in my opinion. Even the rear seat is just as nice. You can also see an aftermarket steering wheel, but other than that it looks fairly stock.

The engine is the original 390 cubic inch V8 that has had some performance goodies added. The finned Mickey Thompson valve covers are done in Ford Blue and they go well with the aftermarket air cleaner. It also looks like the distributor has been replaced and you can see a brake booster, which will help slow down this big rig.

Ford “High-Boys” of this era are pretty darn tall. Even the 1/2-ton models will normally fit 35″ tall tires with no problems and no additional suspension lift needed. The current military tires that are on the truck are good looking and will probably perform well in an off-road situation. If it was my truck, I may trade them for a little bit wider wheel and tire package, but that’s just my opinion. What do you think?

More: F-250 / Ford

SHARETWEET

Wilderness Special: 1968 Ford F100

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

I’m a big fan of “bumpside” Ford pickups, in fact, I own two of them. This one had me a little puzzled at first though. The fifth-generation of the Ford F-series pickups range from 1967 to 1972 and are becoming very popular among collectors. This one is advertised as a 1968, which at first glance, most people wouldn’t question. Upon closer inspection, you can tell the grille is from 1971. Then if you look even closer, the belt-line trim is much wider than a 1968 had. Yep, the trim is from ’71 also. Apparently, in the early 1990s, the previous owner wanted to freshen up the paint and decided to convert the trim and grille to 1971 parts. The truck can be found for sale here on eBay with a current bid of over $10,000. Located in Lexington, Tennessee, this ride isn’t just your average pickup/topper combo. Check out what’s in the bed of this truck!

Although this is just a standard long-box pickup, the bed holds quite a few surprises. Nicknamed the “Wilderness Special” you can see a bed that spans the full width of the camper shell. There is interior lighting and the wood paneling gives it a cozy feel…it even has a toilet! The average person would probably be very comfortable spending a night or two with this setup. Apparently the camper has been in place for almost 30 years.

The engine is a 302 cubic inch V8 and is backed by an automatic transmission. The truck also featured dual gas tanks. You can see in the photo, there are a power steering pump and power brake booster, which are great additions to these trucks. The seller says the truck “runs out silky smooth” and will cruise easily at 70mph.

Just like the exterior, the interior is really nice. The current seller says they lowered the suspension using all new components. The stock suspension components can be included with the sale if the new owner chooses, but I think it looks cool just like it is. What do you think of this classic truck/camper combo?

More: F-100 / Ford

SHARETWEET

1 of 19 Built? 1978 Ford Bronco XLT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

The seller describes this 1978 Ford Bronco XLT as one of 19 with this paint and trim code configuration ever built. It looks stunning, especially with the modest lift kit and new, “retro-look” alloy wheels. There’s a number of modern touches in this Bronco, but the seller doesn’t specify whether the paint and graphics kit are original. The 400 V8 is the matching-numbers mill, and it supposedly benefits from a recent top end rebuild. You’ll find the Bronco here on eBay where bidding is approaching $25,000 and there’s no reserve left to clear.

While I realize not everyone digs the resto-mod look, if you’re going to have a truck with that sort of appearance, I think the end result here is what you should strive for. The lift kit is a matter of personal preference, but I think it’s an upgrade when done to a modest level like this. The wheel and tire combination may be aggressive for some, but it at least offers a tribute to the original wheel design. This also goes to show you just how well a Bronco of this generation responds to modifications, so be sure to check out this blank canvas of a project Bronco we have listed here on Barn Finds as an Exclusive.

The interior is in fine shape, and the seller notes this Bronco was spec’d with a bench seat from the factory. The door panels, carpets, and seat surfaces show virtually no flaws, aside from perhaps some minor wear. The Bronco comes equipped with air conditioning, power steering, power brakes (with front discs), front locking hubs, limited slip, and a modern stereo that features Bluetooth and a rear-mounted subwoofer and amplifier. The peak we get here at the factory graphics kit convinces me the stickers were re-done, as they look far too fresh for a survivor truck – but I could be wrong.

The nose shows nice chrome trim and a very clean engine bay. The paint and trim code production the seller cites relates to the fact that the Bronco is optioned with both the XLT and Ranger package, but it’s also rare for the paint code it sports, known as Raven Black, which makes it one of 401 produced. The Bronco may be worth more as an unmodified survivor sitting on stock suspension, but there’s no question this one ups the eye-candy appeal to a very high level. Whether that’s worth it to you is a matter of personal taste, but current bidding seems to suggest a lot of folks like the look.

More: Ford

50k Original Miles? 1967 Ford Mustang

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1967 Mustang is an unrestored and original survivor that is said to have a genuine 50,000 miles showing on its odometer. It is a car that is ready to be driven and enjoyed, or the next owner might choose to treat it to some form of restoration work. I have to really thank Barn Finder Ikey H for locating this great ’60s survivor for us. It is located in Garden Grove, California, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. The owner has set a price of $9,450 for the vehicle.

The owner claims that the Mustang is wearing its original paint and that it has never been restored in any way. The California sun has taken a toll on the finish, but for every negative, there has to be a positive. That same climate seems to have protected the Mustang from rust, and there is certainly none visible when you give the car a good look over. The owner doesn’t mention any problems underneath the car, so there is a good chance that the floors, frame rails, and the torque boxes might be okay. The vehicle wears a couple of scrapes on the passenger side, including one on the door and one on the rear quarter panel, but the rest of it appears to be straight. All of the external trim and chrome is present, and it, along with the tinted glass, appears to be in good condition.

The interior of the Mustang is looking a bit tired, but its deterioration would appear to be the result of a combination of normal wear, along with damage inflicted by UV rays. The dash pad is cracked, while the carpet is looking tired. Both of these items could stand to be replaced. Some of the internal trim pieces, especially those in the rear seat area, are showing some signs of both wear and discoloring. The seats generally look good, although we can’t see what is happening on the base of the driver’s seat due to the cover that is over it. I suspect that there are some problems there, so a new cover might be on the agenda. It is nice to see that the car has avoided the oh-so-common addition of aftermarket gauges and stereos, with the original radio still present, and the console in pretty decent condition.

There are no photos of the Mustang’s engine, but we know that the car comes equipped with a 200ci 6-cylinder engine and an automatic transmission. The owner states that the vehicle has a genuine 50,000 miles on the clock, but doesn’t indicate whether he holds any evidence to verify this. Apart from stating that everything works as a general part of the description, he doesn’t inform us about how well the car runs and drives. Mind you, these are a pretty robust set of mechanical components, so there’s a fair chance that all will be well on that front. Many people under-rate the 6-cylinder version of the Mustang. It wasn’t a high-performance vehicle, but it was never designed to be. Its role was to capture those people who wanted to “buy into” the Mustang lifestyle but were unable to justify the cost of buying a V8 car that carried a performance perception. From a development perspective, the Mustang six cost Ford nothing, but it sold in its tens of thousands. This was both an important windfall for the company and helped to cement the sales success of the car in automotive history.

When I look at this Mustang, I can see a fair percentage of our readers looking at it, and imagining it with something a bit more potent occupying the engine bay. In years past, such a fate would have been a virtual certainty, but the 6-cylinder Mustang seems to have found its own place within the classics market, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the next owner chose to leave things just as they are.

Rare K-Code Convertible: 1966 Ford Mustang GT

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Even though it had been sitting for 15-years up until recently, this 1966 Mustang GT Convertible is a car that the owner says is ready to be driven home immediately. It appears to be a solid and rust-free classic with a very desirable engine hiding under the hood. The Mustang is located in Buford, Georgia, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. With bidding now sitting at $42,800, the reserve hasn’t been met.

The Mustang had been parked away in a garage until it was recently purchased from an estate sale by the current owner. The Mustang is nicely preserved, but it did receive a repaint in its original Candy Apple Red some 25-years-ago. I always find these older repaints to be interesting, because to my mind, if it can manage to remain looking good after a quarter of a century, then the work must have been completed to a high standard. One thing that will require attention is the rear bumper. If you compare the first two photos, you will find that the alignment of the ends is different from one side to the other. The paint on the hood has a defect or two, but otherwise, it all looks quite good. As far as rust issues are concerned, they don’t appear to be a problem with this car. The owner supplies a good array of photos of every aspect of the car, and it looks very clean. The top looks like it might be original, but it will require a replacement rear window. It also looks like it is quite dirty, so hopefully, this can be addressed without the need to replace the top.

The owner states that the K-Code 289ci V8 is very much the forgotten engine of the early Mustang range, and he is right to point out that the vast majority of people who equipped their Mustang with a 289 at this point in time chose either a C-Code or an A-Code. The K-Code is a bit of a beast, pumping out 271hp. This particular Mustang is a numbers-matching car, with a K-Code, 4-speed manual transmission, front disc brakes, and power steering. After years of inactivity, the resuscitation process on this car was performed properly, meaning that the car is ready to be driven and enjoyed immediately. All of the fluids were flushed and replaced, the Mustang was given a full service, and the master cylinder was replaced. The owner says that the car is ready to be driven anywhere, and enjoyed by its next owner.

The Pony Interior of the Mustang looks really tidy, with no real problems that would need addressing immediately. The carpet is showing hints of wear and discoloring, but the rest of the trim, including the console, looks to be really good. There are no rips or tears, and the factory radio is still fitted to the dash. One nice touch is the fact that the interior features air conditioning.

This 1966 Mustang GT Convertible isn’t perfect, but it is in nice condition. From a features and accessories standpoint, it is also a vehicle that ticks a lot of boxes. The K-Code V8, Pony Interior, and air condition, all combine to make this a desirable car that should be enjoyable to own. With all of those features working in its favor, it’s little wonder that bidding has been so strong up until this point. I wouldn’t expect that trend to change any time soon.

More: Convertible / Ford / Mustang GT

20 hours ago • For Sale22 Comments
26,900 Mile Notchback: 1989 Ford Mustang LX
Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Described as a one-of-a-kind example, this 1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 is a desirable manual transmission notchback model that has just 26,900 miles since new. While the GT trim models were occasionally put away as future collector’s items, the LX-trim notchbacks experienced this type of preservation far less often, making this one a stand-out. Bidders seem to agree, and you’ll find it here on eBay with bids approaching $19K and the reserve unmet.

Great colors and the sharp notchback body make this Mustang a stand-out in a few different ways. I’ve also always enjoyed the slightly sleepy qualities of the LX trim V8 cars, as it doesn’t wear the body kit or spoilers of the GT hatches, with the dual exhausts the only obvious giveaway as to what’s hiding under the hood. While I don’t love the window tint, the Mustang is in California where the sun can beat down on interiors and cause it to disintegrate with age, so it’s likely helped preserve the cabin.

The interior does appear to be in mint condition, with a very blue dash and seats, and featuring the extremely simple HVAC controls of an early 90s car. The Mustang actually looks so spartan that it reminds me of a pursuit-spec model, which was sold to California police departments. However, that sort of documentation would likely push the bids even higher, so perhaps we should be glad this one isn’t! The seller notes the A/C still works and that the Mustang has a clean title.

The venerable 5.0L V8 will likely be trouble-free for years with such low mileage, but some mention of maintenance records would still be helpful to include if the seller has them. This Mustang is a sure-fire collectible, with Fox Bodies on the rise for some time now, and LX 5.0 notchback cars among the most desirable of them all. I suspect the reserve is right around $20K, which is a reasonable baseline (in my opinion) for a low-mileage time capsules like this one.

More: Ford

Rust-Free Restorer: 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Finding a rust-free 1st Generation Mustang project car is something of a rare treat, but that is precisely what we are getting with this 1973 Mach 1. It has been parked in a garage for the past 30-years, and its restoration would appear to be a relatively straightforward affair. Located in Chandler, Arizona, you will find the Mach 1 listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $5,100, and with the reserve now met, this is a car that is set to go to a new home.

When the original owner purchased this Wimbledon White Mustang, he drove it on a regular basis for around 15-years. At that point, he then chose to park the car in his garage, and that’s where it remained for the next 30-years. Once dragged out into the light of day, what an inspection has revealed is a largely original car that is said to be completely rust-free. The owner provides a couple of photos of the vehicle’s underside, and while these aren’t the greatest, they show some small spots of light surface corrosion, but no actual rot. Similarly, the panels also appear to be rust-free, although it does appear as though there is some evidence of minor dent repairs to the rear quarter panel. I’m also intrigued by the way the paint on the car has cracked and deteriorated because this doesn’t seem to be consistent with the sort of deterioration that you might see from a factory finish. For this reason, I suspect that the Mustang may have received at least a partial repaint at some point in those first 15-years. Having said that, there are a few minor blemishes to the panels, but it doesn’t look like anything would require replacement.

It isn’t unusual for white interior trim not to age particularly well, and this is definitely the case with some aspects of this Mustang. One of the great limiting factors when assessing this car is just how dirty the interior is. I’m sure that there are plenty of pieces that would clean and restore quite well, such as the rear seat and rear trim. However, items like the dash pad and door trims are beyond help. The one piece that I find intriguing is the wheel, That is some of the most dramatic delaminating that I have ever seen, and that is well beyond saving. The dash itself, the gauges, and the console all look like they could be revived, while it is a definite bonus that the Mustang is fitted with factory air conditioning.

By 1973, emission laws had bitten deep into the Mustang. The 351ci 2-barrel V8 fitted to this car would have produced 157hp, whereas, in 1969, the 351 H-Code was pumping out 250hp. In this case, the Mach 1 also features a C6 automatic transmission, power steering, and power brakes. While it is true that the Mustang has been sitting idle for three decades, it isn’t all bad news. The owner says that with a fresh battery and some starter fluid, the 351 will kick into life, but doesn’t run for long. Obviously, any fuel that’s in the tank will be well past its use-by date, so a full fuel system clean will definitely be on the agenda. The car doesn’t drive because there is an issue with the transmission linkages, and that makes me wonder if this is why the car was parked in the first place. If this is the case, it is a shame that what is a comparatively small problem should lead to the Mustang being parked for so long. The next owner might choose to revive the existing drive-train to preserve the car’s originality, but they also might choose to drop in an updated engine and transmission. With modern developments, this could result in a Mustang that not only performs better but is capable of improving upon the 12½ mpg that was the average fuel usage for this car back in 1973.

By 1973, the Mustang had grown larger in every dimension when compared to its predecessors, and the most vital of these was in weight. When this factor was combined with the loss of engine performance, it helps to partially explain why sales of the aging vehicle had fallen so sharply since the record high of 1966. That isn’t to say that it was a bad car, and this one could certainly be a nice one once again. Even though I love to see faithful restorations of classic cars, I can’t help but be tempted by the whole idea of slotting something more modern under the hood. What do you think?

More: Ford / Mach 1 / Mustang

445ci-Powered 1974 Ford F-250 Highboy!

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

There’s nothing quite like venturing out into the wilderness, and this 1974 Ford F-250 Highboy 4×4 should be able to get you virtually anywhere in both style and comfort. With flawless presentation and a stroker V8 under the hood, this is a vehicle that has so much going for it. If this is one that grabs your attention, then you will find it located in Manheim, Pennsylvania, and listed for sale here on Bring A Trailer. Bidding on this seriously tough truck has now reached $19,000.

The Ford is now on its third owner since new, and it is this owner who has turned a humble F-250 into the fire-breathing monster that you see here. The vehicle was originally finished in Candy Apple Red, but as part of a total refurbishment, a fresh coat of two-tone red and black was applied. And it wasn’t just the top-side of the vehicle that received a refresh, because the underside is totally spotless. The bed hasn’t escaped attention, and that looks brand new. Forget about rust, because that simply isn’t an issue. There is none visible anywhere. The external trim and chrome are close to perfect, and while the owner also fitted a ’77 grille insert into the F-250, the original is included in the sale. The weatherstripping around the doors and glass has also been replaced, but your eyes can’t help but to be drawn to those wheels. Those are Pacer aluminum wheels, measuring 16×10″. These have been wrapped in a set of General Grabber A/T tires, and while the owner doesn’t refer to them as new, they show no real wear. Poking out from under the bed is a receiver hitch, meaning that this beast is also set-up to do the odd spot of towing as well.

I’d be very willing to bet that when you lift the hood on your average F-250, you won’t find anything that looks quite like this lurking in the engine bay. This piece of cast iron started life as a 390ci V8, but why settle for that when you can have more cubic inches? The 390 has been treated to a Scat crankshaft kit, and engine capacity is said to now be increased from 390 to 445ci. The mechanical goodness just keeps on coming with the addition of TRW pistons, ARP fasteners, Harland Sharp roller rockers, an Edelbrock Performer RPM Top End (aluminum heads, intake, and camshaft), a Holley carburetor, MSD ignition, and a re-cored radiator. It isn’t clear how much power this combination produces, but if you said “plenty,” then you’d probably be right on the money. All of that power is fed through a C6 automatic transmission, while the Ford is equipped with a Posi rear end, power steering and power brakes. The Highboy also features a dual-range transfer case, with the front axle being fitted with Warn manual-locking hubs. So, how does it go? Don’t take my word for it, but check out the video at the bottom of this article. The engine sounds amazing, and this old girl gets up and moving very quickly.

The best word to use to describe the interior is “spotless.” This area of the Ford came in for treatment at the same time that the other refurbishment work was being undertaken. The seat has been fitted with new foam, while all of the upholstered surfaces feature new black vinyl/ The floor has been covered with new tan carpet, and all three occupants can buckle up safely with new seat belts. Extra sound deadening has been added to the interior, and the standard gauges have been supplemented by a column-mounted tach, and a set of aftermarket gauges mounted under the dash. The F-250 hasn’t been fitted with a lot of extras, but if the sweet music from that 445 isn’t to your taste, the Pickup has been fitted with a RetroSound radio, with speakers mounted in both doors.

This 1974 Ford F-250 Highboy 4×4 is a true brute of a vehicle. Its 4×4 capabilities, enormous ground clearance, and those huge tires should mean that this is a vehicle that could be stopped by virtually nothing. That engine is just something else entirely, while the overall presentation is superb. Fancy a drive to the top of Mount Everest? Your vehicle awaits.

More: 4X4 / F-250 / Ford / Highboy / Pickup

Spotless Survivor: 1988 Ford Mustang LX

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Nicely preserved examples of the Fox-Body Mustang are continuing to grow in popularity, and this 1988 LX Hatchback does appear to be a good one. It is said to be original and unmolested and sports the wonderful little Ford V8 engine under the hood. The Mustang is located in Woodruff, South Carolina, and is listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $10,800, and at that price, the reserve has been met.

The Mustang is finished in Scarlet Red, and while this is purely personal taste, I think that this is one of the nicest colors that Ford ever applied to a Fox-Body. The paint itself looks to be in really nice condition, while the panels appear to be as straight as an arrow. The owner claims that the Mustang is rust-free, and there are certainly no obvious issues in this area. The original alloy wheels have survived nicely, with no signs of any staining or damage. With the external trim and the glass in a similar condition to the rest of the vehicle’s exterior, it’s pretty hard to find much to be critical of with this car.

I get the impression when I look around this Mustang that it has been someone’s very cherished baby. The reason that I say this is because it is so nicely preserved. I know that it isn’t a terribly old car, but when you look at cars from the 1980s with the sheer quantity of plastic and cloth trim that you received during that time, finding brittle and cracking plastic, along with faded and frayed cloth, is a pretty normal occurrence. We don’t strike any of these issues with the Mustang, with the red interior appearing to be close to faultless. The cloth on the seats is free of tears or fading, while the carpet is free of significant stains or scuffs. The plastic looks really nice, while the rear seat and cargo area look like they have had little use over the past 31-years. There are no aftermarket additions to the Mustang’s interior, but you do receive air conditioning, power windows, power locks, power mirrors, cruise control, and an AM/FM radio/cassette player.

There were two engine choices available to new Mustang buyers in 1988, and the more desirable of these was the 302ci “HO” V8. This fuel-injected unit sent its 225hp to the rear wheels via a 5-speed manual transmission. This combination resulted in a car with pretty reasonable levels of performance. It was capable of knocking over 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds, while a ¼ mile was despatched in 14.9 seconds. You only have to compare those sorts of figures to what cars like the Mustang, Trans Am, and the Camaro were producing less than a decade earlier to realize just how fast manufacturers had managed to get their heads around fuel-injection and electronic engine management systems. There were plenty of performance enthusiasts who were grateful for this, and things have only continued to improve to this day. Looking around under the hood of this Mustang reveals an engine bay that presents quite nicely for a car of this age. It isn’t perfect, but it is still neat and tidy. The owner says that the car runs and drives really well and that it has been meticulously maintained since new. If this is true, and the owner’s claim that the Mustang has a genuine 88,000 miles on its odometer can be verified, then this is a car that should have plenty of life left in it yet.

This 1988 Mustang LX is a car that presents nicely, and with the HO engine and manual transmission, it has the most desirable of drive-trains. The Fox-Body Mustangs are an interesting proposition as a collectible, because a few years ago, I made the decision that when I reach retirement age, I would park a V8 example in my workshop because they were an affordable classic. Today, they remain affordable, but values are steadily rising. I suspect that by the time that I am in the market for one, they will probably be out of my reach. With that in mind, now would seem like a good time to consider investing in a 1980s classic.

More: Ford / Fox Body / Mustang

V8 Powered SUV: 1971 Ford Bronco

blank.gif
Jim ODonnell

When you think of Sports Utility Vehicles (SUV) you probably think of the plethora that are on the automotive landscape these days and have been since the ’90s. Actually, the term SUV dates to the mid-’60s and was used by Ford Motor Company in their marketing material to reference their first-generation Bronco like this 1971 version, located in Hawthorne, California and available here on eBay for a current bid of $4,000 or a BIN price of $4,500. Zero bids have been tendered so far.

When I first saw this Bronco’s listing, I immediately thought about my neighbor who just happens to have a non-running 1971 Bronco sitting in his driveway where it has been languishing for the last four years. He brought it from across the country from Southern California and it wasn’t running there either. He’s trying to adapt a Fox-body Mustang wiring harness to it so that the ’93 5.0 liter, fuel-injected engine, currently residing in its engine room, will operate. Let me tell, I’ve never seen so many wires that don’t seem to have a destination. He’s a great wrench so he’ll figure it out. But I am digressing….

Our subject Bronco has a 302 CI V8 engine (5.0 liter) and it is a carbureted version that is good for 205 gross horsepower. The seller tells us, “I was told by the previous owner that the truck ran some time ago before it was parked. Based upon the newer ignition components I would guess with some service and some fresh gas it would fire up”. Yes, the old, “ran when parked” yarn. The engine appears to be intact from what the images reveal but clearly there isn’t a lot known about its condition. The mileage for this Bronco is listed as 2,851 so I imagine that it’s at least 102,851 but that’s not known for certainty either. This Ford is equipped with a manual transmission so once it’s running, it’s probably a spirited drive.

The interior is pretty well sacked. The back seat is missing and the front seats, which the seller refers to as “decent” need a complete redo. The images don’t give any clarity regarding the condition of the floors or whether the dash instrumentation works. I’m taking a poll on what the box with the attached hoses running up the A-pillars does, home-made AC?

The body of this Bronco is shot – there’s rust everywhere, even the rust has rust. There is so much cutting and replacing that would need to be done that there’s no telling what, if anything, would be left. There is no reference to the underside/frame condition but I have no reason to assume that it is in any better condition than the body. The seller does suggest that this Bronco would make, “A good parts truck, a donor for a new tub or project”. And that maybe all this old Ford is destined to be at this point.

First-generation Broncos are collectible, their values have shown a strong upside over the last several years. This one, however, maybe a bit too late to the party. It will be interesting to watch the bidding action, assuming there is any. My thought is that the opening bid amount is too high for a Bronco in this condition. So, is it fixable or just parts at this point, what do you think?

More: Bronco / Ford

One of Five with A/C: 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

The seller believes that this 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 may have under 30,000 original miles, and that its equipment list makes it a fairly obscure example. The car certainly presents like a low mileage example, but the seller admits to not being able to verify the odometer reading. Still, with the Q-Code and 351 paired to a four-speed manual with factory air conditioning, it’s believed to be one of just five equipped in this manner. You’ll find it here on eBay with bids to $15K at the moment and no reserve.

To make this Mustang even more unique, the seller notes that it left the factory with an eight-track option that would make it one-of-one with this mix of options – but that the eight-track player was removed by a previous owner. I don’t dispute that it’s enjoyable to see just how rare your car is by comparing it others of the same era, but sometimes the way muscle car owners attempt to set theirs apart can seem a bit excessive. Still, one-of-five with factory A/C is worth crowing about, especially when the cosmetic condition looks as good as this one does.

The four-speed is a welcome feature, too, as many muscle cars from this era left the factory with two pedals. The interior lends further evidence to the low-mileage claim, as it appears quite mint inside with the vibrant colors on the plastic, vinyl, and carpeted surfaces you normally would associate only with new vehicles. The seller does disclose some flaws, such as the door panels sporting some tears and the driver’s seat having a small hole in the vinyl surface, but those seem relatively minor considering the overall condition. The Pony inserts in the carpets look quite sharp as well.

The engine bay is far from concours but would likely clean up well with a detailing. The seller notes more original details under the hood, including original hose clamps, hoses, and belts still stamped with the “Motorcraft” logo. The clutch and transmission are said to work well and the engine shows no obvious issues, other than an inoperative temp gauge due to a faulty sending unit. Tires are new and the rear wheel cylinders and brake shoes were recently replaced; the seller notes the exterior has one repaint and is showing its age. Regardless of the mileage being verified, this is an attractive survivor with lots of desirable options.

High and Dry! 1968 Ford Mustang Fastback

Todd Fitch
Todd Fitch

Before dismissing this 1968 Ford Mustang in Wichita Falls, Texas, picture it with black steel wheels and new box store tires, sitting in the driveway of a nice subdivision. That simple change of scenery would double the interest in restoring this classic pony car. Despite wearing dents and rust in nearly every panel, and having its parts scattered around a farm, this Mustang still deserves a chance to run the roads again. Check out more pictures in the listing here on eBay. With only a $15,000 Buy It Now option, it’s hard to tell how much interest the listing has generated, but it’s hard to go wrong with a pre-’71 Mustang.

A front-end shunt damaged the entire front clip and (at least on the driver’s side) pushed the fenders into the door. That’s a lot of bodywork, but if you don’t count your labor, it can be repaired nearly for free. Numerous views suggest this Mustang left the factory wearing Meadowlark Yellow, a refreshing deviation from the macho hues often sprayed on fastback Mustangs.

A disassembled ’86 Mustang 302 cid (5.0L) V8 and disc brake parts suggest a stalled ’80s upgrade. Like many cars “found” these days, this one may have been cast aside as a total loss then later given a second life, as evidenced by the “reconstructed” title.

Selling what you see here for $15,000 may be daunting compared to a fresh ’68 Fastback body for a few thousand dollars more. With no VIN or other information to suggest interesting original equipment, this Ford is simply a not-too-rusty beginning, a project shell that needs everything. Good news, though; the buyer can build an awesome driver, even a daily driver, with no worries about harming its value, and it can be resold to enthusiasts with similar needs. How would you build this jack-stand beauty?

Mystery Mustang: 1966 Ford Coupe

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

This 1966 Ford Mustang is a little bit of a mystery. Can you help figure it out? It can be found here on eBay with an asking price of $5,200. Located in Belle Glade, Florida, apparently, the car was originally white from the factory, but as you can see it wears Tahoe Turquoise now. I’m guessing by the condition of the paint job it was done quite a while ago. Did you notice the hood? The ad says they recently replaced it. Let’s take a closer look at this ride and see if we can figure out what’s going on.

The engine is a 200 cubic inch straight-six backed by a rebuilt 3-speed manual transmission. The ad says it shifts well and “super easy” but the clutch has some chatter. The radiator, carburetor, and gas tank are new. To me, it looks like the shock towers, inner fenders, and firewall have been the subject of a rattle-can restoration. Do you agree?

The interior looks really good and uncluttered. The carpet is new and the gauges and lights all work. The seller also says the glass is good and all the windows work, but there are some scratches and wear on the windshield.

As you can see, the car has older paint and some rust spots. The seller admits that some parts have been replaced and some haven’t. I’m not sure if this is an abandoned project or if the seller just did enough to make it presentable for sale? For example, the ad says the floors were replaced, but need finished. The shock towers, radiator support, and inner fenders are solid, but there is some rust under the battery box. The hood was replaced, but the paint doesn’t match and there’s no explanation why it was replaced. What do you think the real story with this car is?

Back