Barn Finds

Emerald Green GT: 1992 Ford Mustang

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

In a sea of black, white, and red Fox Body Mustangs, it’s so refreshing to see one that wears a different shade of paint. In this case, it’s a 1992 model that sports Deep Emerald Green over silver bumpers and side skirts, and looks quite sharp despite the true mileage being unknown. The seller notes that the Mustang came in as a trade from the granddaughter of the original owner, who I’m sure is sad to see his cherished Mustang leave the family. Regardless, it’s listed here on eBay with bidding over $8K and no reserve.

I know not everyone gets into the color scheme of cars as much as I do, but this paint code completely transforms the impression of a 90s muscle car like this. I’m not sure if it’s because I associate dark green paint with staid family sedans and mid-90s SUVs, but it really does make the Mustang look downright handsome. The pictures don’t show the paint in excruciating detail, but what we can see looks quite clean and matches well down the sides, with the silver two-tone paint on the lower panels also showing no tell-tale signs of a mismatch.

Sadly, the one feature not working in this GT’s favor is the automatic transmission. It seems like in the last few Mustang GTs we’ve listed, all of them have had the preferred manual gearbox. Fortunately, the slushbox may have played a role in this example surviving in seemingly untouched condition as it negated the temptation to modify it. The seller believes the actual mileage is likely over 100,000, which makes the condition of vulnerable cosmetic surfaces like the light gray upholstery even more impressive. While it is equipped with A/C, the seller doesn’t mention if it works.

The seller does offer that his dealership typically sells vehicles as-is, but that the Mustang was serviced by his shop. He doesn’t elaborate as to what this inspection and servicing included, but one would hope the usual assortment of fluid changes, belt replacement, and plugs and wires was included in their deferred maintenance checklist. While the clean condition should reassure buyers, it always helps to see a stack of invoices. Given how rarely Mustangs show up in non-traditional colors, I’m sure this GT will find a new home with ease.

More: Ford / Mustang

Grün Acres: 1958 Porsche 108L Junior

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

This 1958 Porsche 108L Junior tractor wasn’t painted resale red because it’s a Porsche or because it’s for sale, that’s really the color that it was when it left the factory in Germany over six decades ago. This fancy farm tractor is located in Cleveland, Georgia and the seller has it listed here on eBay. They have a buy-it-now price of $16,900 listed or you can make an offer. Thanks to Patrick S. for sending in this tip!

I believe that we may have seen Porsche tractors owned by this seller in the past here, but I could be wrong. Porsche’s Junior series was the smallest tractor with the least horsepower, sort of the Subaru 360 of Porsche tractors. No, scratch that, they’re nothing like that at all.

The Porsche tractor line started with the Junior, then came the Standard, the Super was next, and the big one was the Master. Prices vary and like with cars, of course, condition plays a big role as to how much one can sell for. Auction fever can also play a big role as we’ve seen with other vehicles. Get a few adult beverages in bidders and prices can go through the roof. This Junior was “imported by the selling party in 2018”, according to the eBay description. I’m not quite sure what that means? Is the eBay seller not the owner?

This is a nice “starter” Porsche tractor, did I just say that? If I had a spot to use a tractor like this I would love to have one, but it wouldn’t have to be a Porsche. It would look good in the Porsche wing of the garage, though (yeah, right). I mentioned the red color earlier and looking at the photos, this one appears to have been repainted at some point. It wasn’t a Concours paint job but, hey, it’s a working tractor.

The Junior had an 822 cc single-cylinder diesel engine with around 14 hp. The top model, the Master, had a 50-hp engine so there is quite a difference between the four models as far as power goes. The seller doesn’t give us any info on how this one operates but they say that it’s been restored to an impressive condition so I’m assuming that it runs as good as it looks. Have any of you seen a Porsche tractor in person? What make of tractor would you rather have than this one?

More: Diesel / Porsche

Stalled Before It Started: 1966 Ford Mustang

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Restoration projects can stall for many reasons, and this 1966 Mustang is a perfect example. Purchased as a father/son restoration, everything ground to a halt when the father experienced some significant health issues. The Mustang was then pushed to the back of the family garage, and that’s where it remained for the next 15-years. The son has now decided to part with the vehicle, which is located in Mishawaka, Indiana. It has been listed for sale here on eBay, and bidding has reached $4,900 in what is a No Reserve auction.
Being finished in a color as dark as Nightmist Blue, it is very hard to see if there are any issues with rust in the lower body extremities of this classic. The seller makes no mention of any problems in this area, but he does say that the floors are solid. Therefore, this is a Mustang project that shows a lot of promise. The external trim and chrome is all present, and by and large, it looks like it is in really nice condition. The exception might be the rear bumper because I’m undecided whether it might have a very slight bend in it. The owner says that all of the glass is original, and is free of cracks, chips, and wiper marks.

Under the hood of the Mustang, we find the 200ci 6-cylinder engine that produces 120hp. Backing this is a 3-speed automatic transmission. This might not be the most desirable of packages for those who yearn for a V8, but it is still a competent and bullet-proof combination. After sitting for 15-years, you would be forgiven for thinking that there might be a bit of work ahead to return the Mustang to a roadworthy state. Fear not, because this work has all been completed. The car has been fitted with a new fuel tank, along with a new fuel pump and new carburetor. The shocks are new on all four corners, while the brakes received new wheel cylinders, new brake shoes, and one new brake drum. Add in a new heater core, a new water pump, and all new hoses, and the Mustang is now well and truly roadworthy. The seller says that the motor starts very easily, with no smoke or odd noises. The Mustang is said to also drive nicely, with the steering and suspension feeling nice and tight.

If I were to buy this Mustang, the first thing that I would do with the interior would be to have it thoroughly and professionally cleaned. Once that was done, I’m pretty sure that what I would be left with would be an interior that wouldn’t present too badly. When I look around inside the car I get the feeling that a replacement set of covers on the front seats, along with a new carpet set, would have the interior looking pretty good. The dash is original and unmolested, while the pad appears to be free of any cracks. The headliner looks like it needs little more than a clean, while the door trims, rear seat, and all of the rear trim, appears to be in good condition. The interior also features a full-length console, and this looks like it would restore very nicely.

Sometimes stalled projects can be a nightmare because if a car has been slightly or completely dismantled, then confirming that all of the parts are present can be a difficult and time-consuming process. That’s why it is these sorts of stalled projects that have an attraction to so many people. There is no reason why the car can’t be driven and enjoyed immediately, and if the rust-free claims are accurate, then there really is no reason to hurry to complete the restoration. Of course, the next owner might choose to abandon the whole concept of restoration and retain the Mustang as an original survivor. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that is the ultimate fate of this car.

Two For One! 1966 Ford Galaxies

blank.gif
Jim ODonnell

A twofer! That’s right, get two 1966 Ford Galaxies for the price of one. Where? Ashtabula, Ohio and listed here on Facebook Marketplace for $4,000. I can’t tell you a lot about these Galaxies because there are only four images and little text to describe them. So, let’s take a shot at it.

Galaxie #1 is a two-door hardtop which originally had a 289 CI V8 engine. The seller claims, “which is out I was going to rebuild it decided not to don’t have time but I do have other engines more 390/429/460/352/400 modified and automatic transmission”. So no, it doesn’t run, you’ll have to come up with an engine and it sounds like a transmission too. There is no reference to the interior or the overall condition of the body, frame, suspension, etc. The three images show a body that actually looks to be in pretty good shape but sitting outside on grass and dirt is not going to help with the cause. This hardtop may have some further use in terms of roadability and being able to be brought back to life but it may be destined as a “parts only” candidate too. There is not enough information here to know for sure.

Galaxie #2 is a convertible which is equipped with a 390 CI V8. It’s really hard to tell exactly what it is as it is buried under a mountain of stuff. I actually spent more time looking at the stuff then I did the car because there is so little of the car visible. Generally, a 390 V8 equipped ’66 Galaxie convertible is going to be a collectible draw but not in this case. The way the seller has this convertible presented creates more of a, “Move along, nothing here to see” scenario than will it engender any real interest on the part of a potential buyer.

Domestic automobiles, regardless of brand, had the tiger by the tail in ’66 and the Ford Galaxie, in particular, was a really sharp looking car. They have not reached the desirability that their cross-town rival, Chevrolet, has attained with the Impala but they are still not cars to be trivialized. And that draw spread throughout the GM hierarchy as well as over at Mopar too. The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of 1966, which spawned the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in 1970, had not yet been enacted when the ’66 models were designed and built, so they were pretty much a blank canvas of what the automakers wanted to do; and do it, they did. There could be value here with this forlorn pair but who knows, the promotion is very poorly constructed. So, is there a pony at the bottom of this pile or is this a case of where all you need is a bumper sticker that states, “My other car is a piece of you-know-what too”?

More: Ford Galaxie

428 R-Code: 1969 Ford Cobra Sportsroof

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Occasionally a classic car will come along that is set to knock your socks off, and this 1969 Ford Cobra probably qualifies on that front. It has received a repaint at some point in time, but every square inch of steel in this car is original, and it is said to be 100% rust-free. It packs some serious iron under the hood, and the owner has now reluctantly decided to part with this classic that he really appears to love. It is located in Coopersville, Michigan, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on the Ford has reached $32,301, but the reserve hasn’t been met.
The owner of the Cobra admits that it has received a repaint in its original Candy Apple Red at some point in its life, but does stress the fact that the car still retains all of its original steel. It has spent the majority of its life in California, and he also states that the car has never seen rain. As a result of this, the underside of the car is said to be in close to as-new condition. The exterior trim pieces and chrome are all original, and once again, these appear to be faultless. Likewise, the original tinted glass is close to perfect, with no signs of any chips or other issues. There are some people who refer to a car like this as either a Torino Cobra or a Fairlane Cobra. In fact, Ford themselves only ever referred to it as a Cobra, and the model never wore either a Torino or Fairlane badge anywhere on the car.

Unfortunately, this is as close as we are allowed to get to the engine of this Cobra, which is a real shame. What occupies the engine bay is the 428 Cobra Jet Ram-Air V8, pumping out 335hp. The vehicle also features a C6 automatic transmission, a 3.00 Traction-Lok rear end, power steering, and power front disc brakes. The description provided in the listing is a bit convoluted, but it appears that this is a numbers-matching car. The previous owner of the Cobra was actually a Ford Dealership mechanic, and he retained the car for in excess of 40-years. With that in mind, you could be fairly sure that the car was maintained by someone who knew their way around a Cobra. The owner says that the Ford runs and drives like new and that he would have no hesitation in driving it right across the country. Included in the sale are the original Build Sheets, a deluxe Marti Report, and a collection of 40-years worth of documentation, including receipts for all work that has been performed on the vehicle.

The theme of originality continues inside the Cobra because apart from a replacement carpet set, the remaining interior trim is said to be original. The carpet was replaced due to fading, but undertaking this task allowed the owner to confirm that the upper surfaces of the floors were just as clean and original as the vehicle’s underside. The original AM radio has made way for an aftermarket radio/cassette player, but it doesn’t appear as though the dash has been cut to fit this. Further good news comes in the form of the owner believing that he still has the original radio, so performing a swap should not be particularly difficult. Unfortunately, the rear package tray has been cut to fit a set of speakers, so if complete originality is key in this car, then a replacement tray will need to be sourced. A quick search of the internet revealed that these are readily available for around the $50 mark. The rest of the interior presents very well, with no evidence of any rips or tears in any of the upholstered surfaces. Apart from the radio, the Ford rolled off the production line fitted with a console, deluxe belts, and an electric clock. The Marti Report also reveals that the Cobra was originally fitted with a rim-blow wheel, but this appears to have been replaced at some point. A quick search found that replacements are available, and generally sell for around the $900 mark.

This really is one pretty special and potent vehicle, and the current owner describes it as being close to museum quality. If this is the case, then it is a vehicle that any prospective buyer would be proud to own. Values on these eased quite noticeably in the second half of 2019, but they have now rebounded to their historically highest levels ever. I suspect that the bidding may have a little way to go on this car, so it will be interesting to see just how high it finally does go.

Parked In 1977: 1955 Ford F-100 Pickup

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

This 1955 Ford F-100 Pickup is a tidy vehicle with only a few rust issues to be addressed. It is structurally sound and would make a great candidate for a restoration or custom project. It is located in Chester, New York, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on the Pickup has reached $5,500, but the reserve hasn’t been met.
The owner provides a good array of photos, and what these show is that the Ford’s frame appears to be nice and solid. There’s a pretty decent coating of surface corrosion, but actual rust doesn’t appear to be an issue. The floors do have some rust issues, but some new pans will soon fix those problems. There is also rust present in the bottom corners of both door frames, but this doesn’t appear to be particularly bad. The body itself looks really promising because the only obvious external rust is the usual stuff that you almost invariably see in the cab corners. The thing that strikes me with this Pickup is how straight the panels are. Normally a workhorse like this will have collected a fair old selection of dents and dings because this is just par for the course. However, this one looks remarkably straight, which suggests that its life might not have been a particularly tough one.

The interior of this old Ford is another area that packs a surprise because it doesn’t look too bad. The seat will require a new cover because it is not only pretty badly stained, but it also has a few substantial tears as well. Having said that, there’s nothing there that a blanket wouldn’t address. After all, out of sight, out of mind. Otherwise, the rest of the interior looks really nice, and even the wheel looks to be in great condition. That’s a real bonus because these usually show a lot of wear and tear, along with plenty of general deterioration. This one looks like it could be made to look immaculate again with very little effort.

We now reach the point where things take a turn for the worse. The owner states that the engine in the Ford is a 215ci 6-cylinder power-plant. If this is the case then the vehicle has received a transplant at some point. The 215 was superseded by the 223 in the 1954 model year, and that’s what I believe that we have here. When it was in good health, this was an engine that produced 115hp, which was sent to the rear wheels via a 3-speed manual transmission. The Ford was parked in 1977, and it hasn’t fired a shot in anger since that day. It ran when it was parked, but the engine is now locked. The owner has pulled the plugs and squirted in some of that wonderful Mystery Oil, so there might just be a chance that it will eventually turn once again. Regardless, it will probably require a rebuild if the F-100 is going to be returned to its original specs. Of course, the next owner might have other ideas, and there is certainly no shortage of options if a transplant is the next owner’s choice.

With the ongoing popularity of classic pickups, I don’t find it in the least bit surprising that there are currently 121 people who are watching this listing on eBay. This is a vehicle that offers the next owner a world of possibilities, and it will be interesting to see what our readers would do. Personally, I would be very tempted to throw a blanket over the seat, drop something a bit more modern under the hood, fix the rust in the floors and cab corners, and then drive it like it is. Anyway, that’s my idea. What’s yours?

More: F-100 / Ford / Pickup

No Reserve “Fridge”: 1960 Ford F-100 4X4

Jamie Palmer
Jamie Palmer

Standing tall over the pavement (isn’t that where most trucks are used now anyway?), this 1960 Ford F-100 Custom Cab 4X4 is waiting for a new owner to make it fully roadworthy. The current pavement it’s standing on is in Richardson, Texas — why does this not surprise me? The “Fridge” is listed for sale at no reserve here on eBay and bidding isn’t even up to $3,500 with less than two days to go as I write.

The seller correctly notes that Ford didn’t make many factory 4×4 pickups back in 1960. 1959 was the first year you could actually get a Ford-built 4X4; previously available trucks were all converted by various outside companies. I wasn’t able to find a production number for the 4X4s specifically but there weren’t many of them. I did, however, find out that enthusiasts of the 1958-60 Ford trucks call them “Fridges”, I assume due to the period styling.

The seller tells us that they are the person who hauled the truck out of storage and that it has not been painted. They have also put brand new tires on it, rebuilt the carburetor and added the following new parts: coil, wires, plugs, cap, rotor and a floor mat. It now runs on a buddy tank, but the fuel system will need cleaning out to get it back on the road. The seller has also purchased new brake and clutch master cylinders along with a clutch slave cylinder but hasn’t installed them yet.

Would you keep the body patina knowing there’s some rust, or would you start a restoration? We see so many old trucks with the “blanket look” seats that to a modern eye that might seem like an original feature!

Strangely, the seller is not including the battery with the sale. On the bright side, they state that they have taken a video of the engine running and can send it to you if you are interested. The seller says that the engine sounds good with no knocks or unusual noises. Have any of you owned a “Fridge” before? Tell us your stories in the comments!

More: Ford

V8 Fastback Project: 1965 Ford Mustang

blank.gif
Jim ODonnell

First generation Mustangs are a staple of Barn Finds because even after all of these years, they are still very popular, they were made in various iterations and there were hundreds of thousands built between mid-1964 and the conclusion of the 1966 model year. That said, here’s one we can take a gander at, located in Stratford, Connecticut and available here on eBay for a current bid of $13,000, three bids tendered as of this writing.

The 1965 Mustang came in three body styles, coupe, convertible and fastback like this example. Truth be told, I never cared for the coupe and only marginally accepted the convertible because the top went up and down. The fastback, however, is another matter; I like them! The extended roof-line just gives this car a more serious, purposeful appearance – perhaps what Carroll Shelby thought or maybe needed? Anyway, it’s the Shelby association, that for me, sets the fastback apart from the coupe and convertible.

Our subject car is equipped with a 289 CI V8 engine though I don’t know which one. There were three, 200, 225 and 271 HP. Based on the air cleaner I’d say it’s the 225 version but I’m sure one of our sharp-eyed Mustang enthusiasts will be able to help out here. The seller gives very little information other than to state “matching numbers” and “runs”. Unless my eyes are fooling me, I doubt it runs very well as the fuel line looks like it is disconnected. Gears-wise, this fastback is equipped with a three-speed automatic C4 transmission.

The seller tells us that this Mustang is on its second white paint-job and it comes with lots of NOS parts (bumper, emblems, rear view mirror, etc.). The seller also tells us that this Ford will need floors. There are no images available, so I can’t tell you how extensive the floor damage is, as in, can they be patched or are talking the whole ball of wax? There is silence regarding structural members but if there is floor trouble, I’d want to look the entire underside over pretty closely. There are very few images but from what’s available the body looks to be in decent shape. The blue GT 350 stripe is exactly that, a stripe; this is not a Shelby Mustang or a derivative.

The interior looks about how you would expect it to look considering this Mustang’s age; there is only one image and no detail. I imagine at the least it will need a good cleaning and beyond that there are probably other matters that will need attention. And that’s about it for details on this fastback. It doesn’t look like there is a reserve on this auction lot and there are a few days to go before the bidding is concluded; no telling where it will top out. If you’re interested in a first generation Mustang, this may be a good candidate with its fastback body and 289 V8 engine. As usual, the devil will be in the details. What do you think, good start in the right bid range or too many unknowns? Happy New Year to all of our Barn Finds readers, Members and contributors!

More: Fastback / Ford Mustang

62k Original Miles: 1969 Jaguar XKE 2+2 Series II

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

For the past 33-years, the current owner of this 1969 Jaguar XKE 2+2 has kept the vehicle garaged and covered, and it has only had some pretty sparing use. With this in mind, it is entirely feasible that the odometer reading of 62,177 miles, as stated by the owner, is accurate and original. It is a British classic that is ready to be driven and enjoyed, and it appears as though it would be nicely suited to the person who is searching for an XKE that is of driver-quality but still presents exceptionally well. Located in North Las Vegas, Nevada, you will find the XKE listed for sale here on Craigslist. The owner has set an asking price of $58,750 for this beautiful British classic.

Regency Red is one of the most striking colors to have ever graced an XKE, and the paint on this car looks to be extremely nice. The owner states that the car received a bare-metal repaint at some point in the past, but it isn’t clear when this occurred. It’s pretty hard to find anything much to be critical of with the quality of the finish, with no signs of any dings or marks to be seen anywhere. Generally speaking, the exterior trim and chrome appear to be in good condition, but interestingly, the chrome on the rear bumper doesn’t appear to demonstrate the same sort of shine as the rest of the trim. The beautiful wire wheels present perfectly, and these have been wrapped in a fresh new set of Fuzion Touring tires. A real bonus with this car is that recently it has been fitted with a full set of new body and window seal rubbers. The owner states that the vehicle is rust-free, and there is certainly nothing visible in any of the comprehensive set of photos that he has provided. In addition, it appears that the XKE has spent the majority of its life in drier climates, which would certainly have assisted it to remain nice and solid.

In a bid to diversify and attract additional potential owners, Jaguar chose to include a 3-speed automatic transmission into their range with the introduction of the 2+2 in 1966. This carried over to the Series II range when it was released in 1968, and is what we find bolted behind the 4,235cc DOHC six-cylinder engine in this particular car. When you combine this feature with the inherent loss of engine performance as emission regulations tightened, this left the XKE with the ability to accelerate from 0-60mph in 8.1 seconds, and the ability to cover the ¼ mile in 16.5 seconds. These figures were noticeably slower than those that the XKE had been able to produce only a few years earlier, but the car actually tended to feel faster than that thanks to the illusion provided by the low seating position. After having had little use over the past 33-years, this particular XKE has received a significant amount of work in recent times to ensure that it is in a roadworthy and reliable state. This has included a rebuild for the front end, new brakes, all new fluids, along with new wheel bearings. The owner says that the Jaguar now feels tight on the road, and that it runs and drives very nicely.

Generally speaking, the interior of this XKE presents quite well. I get the impression that the vast majority of the interior trim might be original, although the front seats have received new covers. It all looks a bit deceptive because it looks like the entire interior might be wearing a reasonable coating of dust. I think that it would benefit from a good clean, while the rear seat should also present better after the application of a quality conditioner. One of the changes that evolved inside the XKE that I never really liked was the eventual phasing-out of the toggle switches on the dash in favor of rocker switches. I am aware that this was a legislative requirement, but it did destroy some of the sporty character of the interior. The interior of this car remains largely original, except that it has been fitted with an aftermarket radio/cassette player and speakers. One real positive, especially if the next owner happens to live in a warmer area, is the fact that this is a Jag that has been fitted with factory air conditioning.

There will be plenty of purists that will argue that the introduction of the 2+2, and the resultant physical changes that were required to accommodate the extra seating, had a negative impact upon the styling of the XKE. Others will argue that the introduction of an automatic transmission also hurt the car’s sporting image. While the 2+2 is not my personal favorite in the XKE range, it is still a handsome looking car. Those who criticize the 2+2 in automatic form are always welcome to express their opinion, and it is this diversity of opinion that is one of the greatest strengths of the classic car scene. What cars like this managed to achieve was to open the XKE range up to people who had previously ruled it out as a viable alternative to them for various practical reasons. One thing is certain, and that is that regardless of what configuration an XKE might be, values have been increasing on a very consistent basis, and have generally improved by in excess of 30% in the last 3-years alone. This is a trend that is showing no sign of easing, so buying a good example now might be a pretty smart move. This one would appear to be quite realistically priced, so it could potentially represent a situation where the next owner will secure themselves a nice classic that could also be a solid long-term investment.

One Owner? 1965 Mercury Park Lane Marauder

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

The seller of this 1965 Mercury Park Lane Marauder tells us that it is technically a one-owner car, having remained in the name of the original purchaser since new. It can be found here on eBay in Rescue, California with one bid of $3,000 and no reserve. The ’65 grille and headlights are my favorites for these cars, let’s check this one out.

What a beautiful car. Those sweeping lines, that sloping fastback rear window, the whole car is just gorgeous, in my opinion. The seller does have more wheel covers, I’m not sure why they didn’t put them all on for the photos, it would have really made it look nicer than it does with a few of them missing. Back to my echoing mantra of pleading with sellers to take better photos of their vehicles in 2020. I have a feeling that things won’t get better, but a car as good looking as this Park Lane Marauder would look good with or without wire wheel covers.

The Marauder trim package was available on four different Mercury models in this era, the Monterey, Montclair, S-55, and the top of the line Park Lane. The S-55 Marauder was only available for 1963, the first year for the first-generation Marauder. The next cars would be more luxury-oriented (think Hawaii 5-O) and then Mercury reintroduced the Marauder for its full-sized Grand Marquis for 2003 and 2004.

The interior looks great in this car other than the residential sculptured carpet. Luckily, new carpet is available and that’ll be a nice project without breaking the bank. I have commented on luxury vehicles from previous decades not having power windows and it’s always interesting to see manual windows and locks on a car of this level, at least for me it is. The backseat is mostly covered but the seller says that it’s in pristine condition for such an old car. Now, about that one-owner claim: this car was bought by a gentleman who signed the title over to his daughter and subsequently passed away and she never put it in her name. The car sat for a few years and the daughter’s husband tinkered with it and got it running but then it sat for a few more years until the seller’s father acquired it and apparently still didn’t transfer the title into his name, so here we are. I hope that the next owner can get the title through their DMV without too much trouble.

This Marauder should have Mercury’s 390 cubic-inch V8 with about 300 hp. The seller thinks that it should run again with a little of the normal preparation for an engine that hasn’t run in a few years. As a general reference, Hagerty is at $9,100 for a #4 fair condition car so with just a day left to get your bids in, this could be a good deal. Are there any fans of the ’65 Mercury Marauder out there?

More: Marauder / Mercury / Park Lane

SHARETWEET

Stalled Project: 1972 Ford F350 Camper Special

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1972 Ford F350 Camper Special has been awaiting restoration for quite some time, and has even seen some significant strides made in its rejuvenation in the not-too-distant past. However, life and some setbacks in the current owner’s efforts to restore this classic camper have put it on the auction block, and it’s now sitting here on eBay with an opening bid of $4,500 and no reserve. The truck comes with a recently rebuilt 390 and under 70,000 original miles, and no bidding activity at the moment.

The New Year is almost upon us, so perhaps one of our readers will see this as a way to start off on the right foot, by buying a truck that isn’t rusty and has had some serious money already spent on it. The seller acquired the truck with a cracked head and parked it in his own barn while he waited to find time to work on it. That day finally came, and he started with the 390 V8, which included new heads, headgaskets, a points elimination kit, plugs / wires, and a Holley four barrel carb, among other fixes. The truck is said to now run well with a smooth-shifting three-speed automatic.

The interior looks quite tidy, with nicely preserved bucket seats, clean floor coverings, and door panels in decent shape. All glass is said to be in good shape and the lights and gauges all work with the exception of the fuel gauge. Most of the time, the Camper Specials – if used as intended – were pleasure cruisers, used for road trips or seasonal excursions, so their mileage stayed low and the interiors fairly clean since they weren’t traditionally put out to work in the fields. Though they were heavy duty and came equipped as such, this one clearly didn’t have a hard life.

However, that brings us to why the seller is letting this one go. While the engine was being rebuilt, he began sketching out his plans for the camper shell. Unfortunately, upon jacking it up off the chassis to begin the redesign, he discovered significant water damage in the floors and walls and made the decision to scrap the camper shell, which effectively killed off any remaining motivation he may have had for the project. Worth a look – especially if you have a spare shell taking up space in your backyard!

Stalled Project: 1972 Ford F350 Camper Special

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1972 Ford F350 Camper Special has been awaiting restoration for quite some time, and has even seen some significant strides made in its rejuvenation in the not-too-distant past. However, life and some setbacks in the current owner’s efforts to restore this classic camper have put it on the auction block, and it’s now sitting here on eBay with an opening bid of $4,500 and no reserve. The truck comes with a recently rebuilt 390 and under 70,000 original miles, and no bidding activity at the moment.

The New Year is almost upon us, so perhaps one of our readers will see this as a way to start off on the right foot, by buying a truck that isn’t rusty and has had some serious money already spent on it. The seller acquired the truck with a cracked head and parked it in his own barn while he waited to find time to work on it. That day finally came, and he started with the 390 V8, which included new heads, headgaskets, a points elimination kit, plugs / wires, and a Holley four barrel carb, among other fixes. The truck is said to now run well with a smooth-shifting three-speed automatic.

The interior looks quite tidy, with nicely preserved bucket seats, clean floor coverings, and door panels in decent shape. All glass is said to be in good shape and the lights and gauges all work with the exception of the fuel gauge. Most of the time, the Camper Specials – if used as intended – were pleasure cruisers, used for road trips or seasonal excursions, so their mileage stayed low and the interiors fairly clean since they weren’t traditionally put out to work in the fields. Though they were heavy duty and came equipped as such, this one clearly didn’t have a hard life.

However, that brings us to why the seller is letting this one go. While the engine was being rebuilt, he began sketching out his plans for the camper shell. Unfortunately, upon jacking it up off the chassis to begin the redesign, he discovered significant water damage in the floors and walls and made the decision to scrap the camper shell, which effectively killed off any remaining motivation he may have had for the project. Worth a look – especially if you have a spare shell taking up space in your backyard!

ok I want one of these as a project or bigger.

1 Owner Boss 351: 1971 Ford Mustang

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 comes from the home of the longtime original owner and is only available for sale due to his passing. The Mustang has clearly been loved since new, with beautiful original bodywork, paint, and matching numbers drivetrain. The seller notes it even comes with the California title and financing paperwork reflecting the lienholder releasing the car to the owner once paid off. Find it here on eBay with bids over $26K and the reserve unmet.

The Boss 351 was produced for just one year and slotted in nicely between the Boss 302 and 429 cars. While the 429 may be considered the most desirable, the 351 is still a rare car, and incredibly difficult to find in survivor-grade condition like this. The car retains its old-school California blue plates, and the black body graphics and spoiler treatment all appear to be incredibly well preserved. Even though California cars tend to survive quite well, I have to believe it’s been garaged since new given it doesn’t appear to have much in the way of sun damage.

The four-speed manual transmission is what you want to see here, and the three pedals will undoubtedly make this Mustang even more desirable. The carpets aren’t perfect but still look reasonably sound; I can’t quite tell what’s going on along the passenger side floor, as the discoloration appears fairly consistent. The dash looks clean but still sports a few cracks, and the Mustang appears to retain original gauges and its factory radio. Bucket seats are quite nice for their age and can be used as-is with no pressing needs for a visit to the upholstery shop.

Under the hood, some maintenance updates have been made for drivability purposes, but the Mustang otherwise remains bone stock. The seller notes the original owner’s son-in-law installed a new water pump and had the radiator rebuilt, and that new hoses were also installed. All of the original parts that were removed come with the car, and the Mustang shockingly even still has its factory Autolite carb. Survivor Mustangs are always in demand, but especially so when it’s a Boss 351 like this. Thanks to Barn Finds reader Patrick S. for the find.

More: Ford / Mustang

V8 Fastback Project: 1965 Ford Mustang

blank.gif
Jim ODonnell

First generation Mustangs are a staple of Barn Finds because even after all of these years, they are still very popular, they were made in various iterations and there were hundreds of thousands built between mid-1964 and the conclusion of the 1966 model year. That said, here’s one we can take a gander at, located in Stratford, Connecticut and available here on eBay for a current bid of $13,000, three bids tendered as of this writing.

The 1965 Mustang came in three body styles, coupe, convertible and fastback like this example. Truth be told, I never cared for the coupe and only marginally accepted the convertible because the top went up and down. The fastback, however, is another matter; I like them! The extended roof-line just gives this car a more serious, purposeful appearance – perhaps what Carroll Shelby thought or maybe needed? Anyway, it’s the Shelby association, that for me, sets the fastback apart from the coupe and convertible.

Our subject car is equipped with a 289 CI V8 engine though I don’t know which one. There were three, 200, 225 and 271 HP. Based on the air cleaner I’d say it’s the 225 version but I’m sure one of our sharp-eyed Mustang enthusiasts will be able to help out here. The seller gives very little information other than to state “matching numbers” and “runs”. Unless my eyes are fooling me, I doubt it runs very well as the fuel line looks like it is disconnected. Gears-wise, this fastback is equipped with a three-speed automatic C4 transmission.

The seller tells us that this Mustang is on its second white paint-job and it comes with lots of NOS parts (bumper, emblems, rear view mirror, etc.). The seller also tells us that this Ford will need floors. There are no images available, so I can’t tell you how extensive the floor damage is, as in, can they be patched or are talking the whole ball of wax? There is silence regarding structural members but if there is floor trouble, I’d want to look the entire underside over pretty closely. There are very few images but from what’s available the body looks to be in decent shape. The blue GT 350 stripe is exactly that, a stripe; this is not a Shelby Mustang or a derivative.

The interior looks about how you would expect it to look considering this Mustang’s age; there is only one image and no detail. I imagine at the least it will need a good cleaning and beyond that there are probably other matters that will need attention. And that’s about it for details on this fastback. It doesn’t look like there is a reserve on this auction lot and there are a few days to go before the bidding is concluded; no telling where it will top out. If you’re interested in a first generation Mustang, this may be a good candidate with its fastback body and 289 V8 engine. As usual, the devil will be in the details. What do you think, good start in the right bid range or too many unknowns? Happy New Year to all of our Barn Finds readers, Members and contributors!

More: Fastback / Ford Mustang

At 13k this is good price and I would buy of could.

Grün Acres: 1958 Porsche 108L Junior

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

This 1958 Porsche 108L Junior tractor wasn’t painted resale red because it’s a Porsche or because it’s for sale, that’s really the color that it was when it left the factory in Germany over six decades ago. This fancy farm tractor is located in Cleveland, Georgia and the seller has it listed here on eBay. They have a buy-it-now price of $16,900 listed or you can make an offer. Thanks to Patrick S. for sending in this tip!

I believe that we may have seen Porsche tractors owned by this seller in the past here, but I could be wrong. Porsche’s Junior series was the smallest tractor with the least horsepower, sort of the Subaru 360 of Porsche tractors. No, scratch that, they’re nothing like that at all.

The Porsche tractor line started with the Junior, then came the Standard, the Super was next, and the big one was the Master. Prices vary and like with cars, of course, condition plays a big role as to how much one can sell for. Auction fever can also play a big role as we’ve seen with other vehicles. Get a few adult beverages in bidders and prices can go through the roof. This Junior was “imported by the selling party in 2018”, according to the eBay description. I’m not quite sure what that means? Is the eBay seller not the owner?

This is a nice “starter” Porsche tractor, did I just say that? If I had a spot to use a tractor like this I would love to have one, but it wouldn’t have to be a Porsche. It would look good in the Porsche wing of the garage, though (yeah, right). I mentioned the red color earlier and looking at the photos, this one appears to have been repainted at some point. It wasn’t a Concours paint job but, hey, it’s a working tractor.

The Junior had an 822 cc single-cylinder diesel engine with around 14 hp. The top model, the Master, had a 50-hp engine so there is quite a difference between the four models as far as power goes. The seller doesn’t give us any info on how this one operates but they say that it’s been restored to an impressive condition so I’m assuming that it runs as good as it looks. Have any of you seen a Porsche tractor in person? What make of tractor would you rather have than this one?

More: Diesel / Porsche
This one made me think of Festus, we haven't heard from him lately.
I hope all is well.

Mini Mustang: 1973 Ford Capri V8

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1973 Ford Capri project looks like it’s ready for a next owner to pick up and finish, with the seller noting it has a rebuilt 302 under the hood. My favorite feature right off the bat is the clean body with cool period graphics running along the bottom of the doors, but you’ll need to source a working automatic transmission before you get to gaze longingly at this Capri following a spirited drive down your local backroads. Find it here on craigslist for $3,800 in Brooksville, Florida, with a few other potential projects parked nearby.

The seller is one of the first I’ve heard say he’s leaving Florida to move back north, hence why he can’t take this collection with him. Usually, it’s the other way around, and northerners like myself are anxious to bring their project cars to a climate where they can enjoy them year-round without any road salt to do battle with. Hopefully, this Capri doesn’t travel northwards with its next owner, as not many are left in the condition this one is in, with a clean body, nice paint, and chrome bumpers that appear to be holding up with no immediate needs for refinishing.

The interior is another bright spot, and unlike many vintage projects left in the Florida sun, this one shows no signs of unwanted sun damage. The dash is crack-free and the door panels and seats look quite nice, nice enough that they may have been re-done at some point. Carpets are also clean, and the stock appearance inside gives it a bit of a sleeper look with the 302 nestled under the hood and not even an aftermarket steering wheel to give away the performance lurking within. If I had to have a 302 car, I’d pick this over a Mustang II any day. The seller notes it is equipped with an electronic ignition.

The installation under hood looks pretty clean and makes me wonder if the transmission just never got installed or if the one that went with the engine has already died. Regardless, finding a good C4 automatic shouldn’t be too hard, but I’d be sorely tempted to use this as an opportunity to swap in a manual gearbox. While such a configuration wasn’t available stateside, Basil Green Motors in South Africa actually built the Perana, equipped with the 302 and either the C4 or a Toploader 4-speed. Rarely seen today, this Capri offers the next owner the chance to build a high-performance Mustang-alternative of their own for a reasonable price.

More: Capri / Ford

Rare More-Door: 1979 Ford F-250 Crew Cab

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

The 1960s and 70s saw most major manufacturers building crew cab pickups although their numbers were much smaller than their regular cab cousins. Offering the benefit of two full-size bench seats, these trucks could haul the entire family around the ranch, camping, hunting, or pretty much anywhere else you wanted to go. This 1979 Ford F-250 can be found here on eBay with a current bid of nearly $30,000. While this may seem like a big price for a truck that is far from perfect, the rarity of a factory crew cab model along with the increasing popularity of these trucks is probably contributing to the bidding. Located in Quapaw, Oklahoma, the seller says you can drive it home. Let’s check out more of this big beast.

The interior looks pretty original and the red/wood grain combination is pretty good looking. The carpet definitely needs to be refreshed, but the dash, door panels and seats don’t look bad. The rear seat also looks like it’s in decent shape and with two full-size benches, you can fit six adults comfortably.

The engine is a 400 cubic inch V8 with a 4-speed transmission, which is a great combination. The front and rear axles are Dana 44 and Dana 60, respectively, both with 4.10 gears. The ad says “…runs and drives great for its age.” I’m not sure exactly what that means, but the truck supposedly only has about 73,000 original miles and will cruise at 60-65 mph.

The big drawback of this truck is the exterior appearance. You can see the rear bumper needs re-painted or rear chromed. The overall condition of the paint is original but needs a re-spray to make it nice. There is a bit of rust over the rear wheel openings but there are patch panels and entire body panels available for replacement. If I really wanted a crew cab Ford of this vintage, it may be a better value to look for one that is already completed. Check out This 1979 Crew Cab F-250 that recently sold in the $45K range. What’s your opinion? Buy it or build it?

More: F-250 / Ford

Back