Barn Finds

Dec 8, 2019 • For Sale22 Comments
Forlorn Fastback: 1969 Ford Torino GT
Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

When an owner lists a car for sale and advises people to expect the worst but hope for the best, it is hard to know what to think. That is precisely the situation with this 1969 Ford Torino GT, which is located in Tryon, Nebraska. If you are either the sort of person who is willing to take a punt, or you are willing to contact the seller to negotiate the possibility of a personal inspection, then you will find the Torino listed for sale here on eBay. The owner has set a BIN of $5,000, but there is the option available to make an offer.

Starting with the good news, and it would appear that this dent in the front fender is the only panel damage visible on the Torino. Of course, we are working from limited photos, and this means that we don’t get a look at the driver’s side of the vehicle. It is hard to determine just how much rust is present in the external panels, but a good coating of surface corrosion has virtually obliterated the original Indian Fire paint. The major concern is the fact that the Torino has been sitting in its current location for approximately 40-years, and the owner states that it will require a winch and some shovels to extract it. I guess that this means that the car has sunk into the ground over the decades, and this probably hasn’t done the floors or frame any real favors. Having said that, I can remember seeing a ’69 Camaro in a similar situation once, and when it was dragged out of its resting place, it was actually rock-solid. Sometimes situations like this can be a lucky dip, and occasionally you do receive a pleasant surprise. Apart from the front bumper and the trim on the leading edge of the front fender, the remaining external trim and chrome appear to be quite good. Similarly, the tinted glass also appears to be in decent condition.

It’s right at this moment that I’m glad that these photos don’t include scent because I doubt that the experience would be pleasant. The interior has been the home to a fair collection of mice over the years, and anyone who has ever experienced a rodent-infested vehicle will vouch for just how foul they can smell. Even if the next owner chooses to take this car on as a restoration this won’t be an issue, because it appears that all of the upholstery, along with the seat foam, has passed the point of no return. This means that it will all need replacing, as will the dash pad, and the steering wheel. In its day it must have looked pretty nice inside the Torino, so it’s a shame to see it in its present state. Incidentally, the motorcycle parts are not included in the sale, although it sounds like any potential buyers might be able to negotiate on that.

Under the hood of the Torino is the Windsor 351ci 4v V8. This engine produced 290hp, which found its way to the rear wheels via a 3-speed automatic transmission. The Torino also featured power steering, power brakes, and air conditioning. Now we come to the crux as to why the Torino was parked all those years ago. Apparently, the engine required an overhaul for some reason. It isn’t clear whether it was due to it getting tired, or whether it had suffered some form of failure. The engine turned freely when the car was parked, but the owner isn’t sure whether this is still the case. As he said, hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Once upon a time, this Torino GT would have been an absolutely fantastic car, but it is now a shadow of its former self. As it sits today, it isn’t clear whether the car is structurally sound, or whether hooking a winch to the front of it will result in the car becoming an unplanned stretched limo. What I find interesting is the lack of visible rust, but like an automotive iceberg, it is hard to know what lies beneath the surface. Would you be willing to gamble on this car? Would you be willing to see if you could arrange an inspection? I have to admit that it is a car that has piqued my curiosity. How about you?

More: Ford / Torino GT

One Owner: 1965 Ford Mustang Convertible

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Choosing to sell a 54-year-old car that you’ve owned since new must be a tough call, but sometimes, circumstances mean that hard decisions have to be made. That is the story with this 1965 Mustang Convertible because with the owner having to relocate, his pride and joy needs to find a new home. The Mustang is located in Los Angeles, California, and has been listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding has reached $4,150, but the reserve hasn’t been met. There is also a BIN option available, and this has been set at what would seem to be a quite reasonable $9,800.

Don’t let the appearance fool you, because this Mustang seems to be a bit deceptive. The owner was planning a full restoration of his pride and joy, and it seems that this may have already started. The original Rangoon Red paint has been removed from the majority of the car, and there is plenty of grey primer in evidence. There is also surface corrosion where bare metal has been left exposed. The owner says that the floors are rock solid, so hopefully, the same will be true of the frame and torque boxes. One thing that raises concern for me is some of the visible Bondo. The areas in the rear quarter don’t worry me that much, because this is above the sorts of areas where you would expect rust to develop. The Bondo in the driver’s side rocker is more of a concern, and I would like to know a bit more about that. It appears that all of the trim and chrome that has been removed is still present, while the glass is said to all be in good condition. The owner also states that the top is in good condition, so if that Bondo doesn’t hide any nasty surprises, then this is a project that is starting to show some promise.

Good news on the Mustang comes in the form of the car’s mechanical health. What we get here is a C-Code 289ci V8, automatic transmission, and power steering. This is not the most potent of combinations, but it is still pretty respectable. The owner says that the Mustang actually runs and drives, so it might not need terribly much from a mechanical perspective before the car is fit to hit the roads once again. The owner also claims that the Mustang has covered a genuine 65,000 miles, but doesn’t indicate whether he holds any evidence to verify this claim.

There will be some work required to whip the Mustang’s interior back into shape, and while it isn’t heavily optioned, it does have the original center console and radio. It doesn’t appear as though there have been any aftermarket additions to the car, but the dash pad and some of the upholstered items will require restoration. For instance, the owner does specify new seat covers, but due to the quantity and quality of the supplied photos, it’s impossible to determine the state of other trim items.

I think that we’ve all become pretty used to seeing early Mustang project cars that are riddled with rust being offered for sale with hefty price-tags attached. This 1965 Convertible would appear, on the surface, to be one of the better ones. If it’s as solid and rust-free as the owner claims, then it should be a pretty straightforward restoration project. Even if the next owner were to choose to have a professional whip the panels and paint into shape, bringing the interior up to scratch and reassembling the car should not be too complicated. It’s certainly worth considering if you’re searching for an interesting and rewarding Winter project.

More: Convertible / Ford / Mustang

S-Code 390: 1967 Ford Mustang GTA Fastback

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

While it might be a full, numbers-matching car, this 1967 Mustang GTA Fastback is going to require a full restoration. It might be partially disassembled, but it does appear as though all of the removed parts are present. If a Mustang project is high on your bucket list, then you will find this one located in Bolton, Ontario, Canada, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on the GTA has now reached $17,000, and at that price, the reserve has been met.

Starting its life finished in Brittany Blue, the vehicle has fallen foul to all of the usual rust issues that we have become used to in these 1st generation Mustangs. Most of the body’s lower extremities such as the rear quarters, rockers, lower fenders, and floors will require replacement. Someone has commenced the process of cutting out the front floors, but the rears look like they might be pretty solid. It isn’t clear what state the trunk pan is in, but given how much cutting, welding, and grinding lies ahead for the next owner, replacing the pan would seem like just another task to tackle. What we have no information on is the state of the frame and torque boxes, but the driver’s side front frame rail is partially visible in one shot, and it looks like it will require some work. The single photo of the engine bay also reveals what would appear to be some pretty significant rust around the battery tray that will need to be addressed.

The heavy workload on the Mustang continues once you look inside. The Blue vinyl trim is looking pretty tired, and complete restoration is definitely going to be on the cards. The items that have been removed from the interior all seem to be present, and while some of the trim items should restore okay, there will be pieces like seat covers and the headliner that will need to be replaced. Other components such as the dash pad will be pretty borderline, and only a personal inspection will reveal if they are salvageable. The original owner didn’t load the car up with optional equipment, although the console, AM radio, and Sport Deck rear seat are nice inclusions.

The GTA is a numbers-matching car, and the original owner chose a pretty nice combination to power this particular vehicle. Getting things up and moving is an S-Code 390ci V8, while he also ticked the boxes next to the C6 automatic transmission, 3.25 limited-slip rear end, and power steering. With 320hp available to the owner, this combination was capable of propelling the GTA from 0-60 in 6.3 seconds, while it could also romp through the ¼ mile in 14.5 seconds. It isn’t clear when the Mustang last moved under its own power, or if the engine even turns freely. The owner does state that the car will require a full restoration, so it may be that the engine and transmission will need to receive some attention before the GTA is mobile once again.

When it was new, this ’67 Mustang would have been a car that commanded plenty of respect on the roads due to the performance that it was capable of. Today, it is a shadow of its former self. There is no doubt that a full restoration could be completed, and the end result would be a pretty stunning and potent car. It will require a dedicated individual to complete, so is that person likely to be you?

More: Fastback / Ford / Mustang GTA

1,194 Miles! 1987 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1987 Ford Mustang GT is an incredible low-mileage time capsule, with well under 2,000 original miles and in showroom condition. Featuring Cabaret Red paint with a Sand interior and the preferred manual transmission, this GT is a holy grail car if you’re a Fox Body collector who simply wants a top-shelf GT spec example. The window sticker remains affixed to the glass and the seller says it’s been driven regularly since new. Find it here on craigslist in Pennsylvania for $35,900.

That may seem pricey, but with just 1,194 miles, this may very well be the newest 1987 Mustang GT in existence. The restraint needed to never drive a performance car is an impressive measure of one’s self-control, but I get the feeling cars like these share garage space with plenty of other choices. The odometer tells the tale, while the rest of the car’s condition validates just how minty this example remains. The seller notes it has never been driven in inclement weather, so keeping this GT under wraps was no accident.

Perhaps I’m jaded, but sometimes these seemingly perfect cars have some fatal flaw, usually in the form of an automatic transmission. Sometimes, the color scheme is just awful. Whatever it is, this Mustang doesn’t suffer from it, as it has the preferred manual transmission and an interior that I can’t recall seeing all that often: sand cloth buckets with matching carpets. I’m not saying that black cloth wouldn’t be better, but at least this upholstery choice is a decent match with the Cabaret Red paint. It’d be nice to see matching floor mats, however.

The engine bay is spotless, as you’d expect, with all factory stickers and warning labels still in place. The spotless paint continues to the inner fenders, and given the 5.0L is a fairly worry-free engine, I can only imagine one that’s seen barely any use is functionally perfect. Still, you’d expect to see some record of annual fluid changes, even with below-average miles. While I consider this a lot of money to spend on a car you can’t drive, I’m sure it seems like pocket change to the Fox Body collector that has everything.

More: Ford / Mustang

Sunny Days Only: 13K-Mile Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

This 1987 Ford Mustang GT convertible is a low-mileage survivor wearing great colors and looking like the perfect summer cruiser. With just 13,300 original miles, it’s not quite as low as the time-warp Fox Body we featured the other day, but it’s close. The seller notes this Mustang has never seen inclement weather and comes with several OEM accessories. It’s equipped with the preferred five-speed manual and a functioning power top. Find it here on craigslist in Michigan for $22,000.

Thanks to Barn Finds reader Ian C. for the find. Everything about this convertible model is perfect for the year, from the body-color slats across the taillights to the luggage rack on the trunk. Few “performance” cars could get away with wearing a luggage rack, but in 1987, no one would question the Mustang’s ability to pull it off. It also reflected the fact that many of its buyers weren’t concerned about flat-out performance as much as they wanted to own an iconic car for pleasure cruising, and a luggage rack may come in handy for those jaunts.

I love the color combo, both because crimson and white rarely looks bad together and because it sort of epitomizes the styling trends that were all the rage at the time. The interior shows no obvious defects and the Cloth Articulated Sport Seats show no deforming of the generous bolsters that came standard. A dash mat protects the dash from weeks where the top stays down for days at a time, but given the lack of sun fade inside, I doubt this GT ever spent more than a few hours with the soft top in the down position.

The seller notes that the battery and alternator were replaced in 2010, and that seems to be it for recent maintenance. The engine bay looks quite clean, albeit with the addition of go-fast stickers that really don’t belong in a time-warp example. Some of the cool, OEM pieces that come with the car include a dust bag for the boot cover, Wolf car cover, and other Ford-related novelty items. To me, owning a poster car of the 80s demands finding one in the best colors, and this example is pretty close to perfect in that regard. The price? Fair, but a strong ask.

8 hours ago • For Sale11 Comments
Big Block Ragtop: 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Convertible
Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

The sharp-edged third-generation Ford Galaxie was a galaxy apart from the previous softer-styled cars. The sharp-edged 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible seen here can be found here on craigslist in the Pemberton, Minnesota area and the seller is asking $4,900 or offer.

It’s 3 degrees below zero straight temperature and 23-below wind chill where I am right now as I write this, but who doesn’t love a convertible? Especially one with a big-block V8 and one for less than five-grand! This car needs to be restored according to the seller, but it’s hard to tell what’s wrong with it from the photos.

It looks like the rear bumper needs work but it’s hard to tell what condition the body is in. Things look nice and straight, hopefully it won’t be a huge project to make this car fit for summer duty. Safety was a big concern in this era and the ’67 Galaxie had a new dual brake reservoir master cylinder along with a few interior features such as recessed controls on the dash and an energy-absorbing steering column.

I’m not sure if the windows don’t go down all the way or why some of them are either all the way up or half the way up, I’m assuming that there isn’t a problem. The interior looks pretty good otherwise, but the steering wheel doesn’t have the safety padded hub portion. Ford slightly redesigned the Galaxie for 1967 and as we’ve heard for years: when a car’s top goes down, its price goes up. Hagerty is at $9,800 for a #4 fair condition ’67 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible with a 390 V8.

Speaking of a 390 cubic-inch V8, here it is. Ford offered more than one 390 in the Galaxie in 1967 and I’m not sure what the horsepower rating would be, somewhere between 265 and 320 hp. The seller says that it runs and drives which is a good sign. This looks like a very doable project car for really not much money. I mean, it’s a Galaxie convertible with a running 390 V8 for $4,900 or offer, that sounds like a winner to me. Thoughts?

More: Ford Galaxie 500

302 with a Hot Cam !

Parked In 1998: 1977 Ford Granada

Scotty Gilbertson
Scotty Gilbertson

Ford buyers had quite a variety of vehicle types in 1975 when their local Ford dealerships sold both Mavericks and Granadas, two very different cars for two very different buyers. This 1977 Ford Granada two-door sedan can be found here on craigslist in Savage, Minnesota and the seller is asking a mere $1,100 or best offer. Let’s check it out.

This sure looks like a lot of car for $1,100, doesn’t it? I don’t really see any or many flaws in the body at all, and those wheels look great on this two-door Granada. They were made for the 1975 to 1982 model years and, of course, this is the North American Ford Granada, not the European Granada. The seller mentions that the underside has surface rust and there’s a spot on the rear bumper support but this looks like a solid car.

The seller says that they need the garage space and they have to sell the car. It ran really well when it went into storage in 1998 but they don’t have time to finish the restoration and it’s time to let it go to someone else to finish it and get it back on the road again. The Granada was intended to replace the Maverick but instead, it filled a mid-level luxury gap and the Maverick soldiered on for another two years, until 1977.

This looks like a great car for $1,100 or offer, it would be a good first project for someone who’s not looking for a muscle car and doesn’t have a muscle car budget, yet wants something unique and something that there won’t be a dozen of at every car show. The seller has a couple of bucket seats if the buyer wants them.

Yes, that’s a V8! You were worried that it would be a six, don’t lie. The original 302 V8 was replaced by another 302 in 1987 and they added a hot cam and a Holley 4-barrel carb. I’m not sure if it’s currently running but I am sure that most Barn Finds readers could probably have it humming again in no time. Any thoughts on this ’77 Granada? Good buy or good-bye?

More: Ford

Uncut Original Survivor: 1972 Ford Bronco

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

Early Ford Broncos continue to be very strong sellers. When you add original paint and uncut rear fenders, they command very solid prices in almost any condition. Such is the case with this 1972. It can be found for sale here on eBay with a current bid of $7,000! While this truck has some fairly common rust issues, the seller doesn’t appear to be hiding anything. In fact, they have responded in the ad with additional information regarding condition questions. Located in Fairfax, Virginia, the ad suggests the buyer transport via trailer as the tires are not in good shape. Let’s take a look at this cool vintage ride!

The interior looks pretty standard for a vintage Bronco. You can see the cream accents with blue paint is actually a decent combination. I’m not sure why the seller didn’t pull the seat covers off before the photos? I’d love to see what the original seats look like. The big problem with the passenger compartment is the floors. As you can see, there is a pretty big hole on the driver’s floor. The aftermarket supports these trucks with a lot of sheet metal patch panels, so anyone with a grinder and welder should be able to get it fixed up (at least enough to drive comfortably).

The engine is a 302 V8 and besides the aftermarket air cleaner and radiator, it looks pretty stock. The transmission is a 3-on-the-tree and the seller says it runs and shifts well for its age. You can see there is no brake booster for power brakes and it doesn’t appear there is a power steering pump either. These old Broncos are nimble enough, power steering isn’t really necessary, but if the new owner lifts the suspension and adds wide tires, they may want to consider upgrading.

According to EarlyBoncoAds.com, production numbers for the first-generation Bronco wagons totaled just over 200,000 units with 1972 having 21,115 units produced. I don’t know what percentage are original survivors like this one, but I would bet it’s a very small number. Hopefully, this truck gets a new lease on life with some TLC from a new owner. What is your opinion of this ol’ Bronc?

More: Ford Bronco

S-Code 390 / 4-speed 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

This car is a real-deal S-code 390 Ford Mustang Fastback from 1967. With the original drive train missing, the car is a blank slate and can be done however the new owner sees fit. A factory restoration could be an option or a wild drag racer. How about an Eleanor clone? It can be found here on eBay with a current bid of almost $11,000. Located in Ozark, Missouri, there isn’t a ton of information in the ad, however, the car does come with a Marti Report. Check out more of this car and let us know what you would do with it.

As you can see, there are some pretty significant rust issues, however, the seller says that the frame rails are solid. Other notes include the fact that the quarter panels, front floor pans, and driver’s front apron will all need to be addressed as well. The trim pieces are inside the car, which means the car was probably a stalled project. It’s not too hard to tear apart a car, but restoring it and re-assembling it comes the hard part.

Originally this car was red on red and probably looked pretty striking when new. According to the Marti Report, the car came with disc brakes, deluxe interior w/ tach and was one of only a few thousand with these combinations. Unfortunately, the photo of the report in the ad isn’t easy to read, but hopefully, the seller can provide a clearer copy if this is a big deal for the new owner. Overall, this is a pretty big project but a great opportunity for someone. So, after reading about this car, how would you finish it?

More: Ford Mustang

One Solid Truck: 1949 Mercury M68 Survivor

Josh Mortensen
Josh Mortensen

The guys up in Sweet Grass, Montana just keep finding more great old Canadian trucks! I’m honestly not sure how they do it, but I hope they can keep finding ones like this Mercury! Of all the late ’40s trucks we’ve featured, this has to be one of the more solid examples we’ve seen. There’s some surface rust, but the cab corners look perfect and the rest of the body is incredibly straight. You can find this survivor here on eBay with a current bid of $4,050.

The M68 was Mercury of Canada’s version of the F series 3/4 ton. For the most part, they were identical, but there were some interesting cosmetic differences that really make these stand out. Just look at that awesome Mercury badge!

The inside of the truck features a few other cosmetic tweaks such as the Mercury branded steering wheel and slightly different dash center trim. The rest of the interior is identical to a US Ford F-series, so finding replacement parts should be quite simple. It’s going to need new seat upholstery and a good detailing to be a comfortable driver. You can get just about every nut, bolt and piece of rubber to make this truck like new if that’s the route you decided to take it. Personally, I’d find a nice leather seat cover, clean the inside and otherwise leave it as is.

Under the hood is the original flathead V8 and it is believed that it has covered just 38k miles. It’s said to turn over freely, but the seller hasn’t attempted to start it. This 239 cui V8 is good for about 100 horsepower and is about all you need in an old truck. A more modern V8 would definitely make it easier to drive in modern traffic, but given the truck’s originality it would be a shame to modify it. I suppose what happens with it will boil down to what it takes to get this engine running again.

Having written about more than a few of these trucks, I’ve come to really appreciate the design. It’s simple yet elegant, which isn’t something you see in modern truck design. This one really does look like a great find! Whether you decide to give it a full restoration or simply get it running and drive it as is, it would be a fun truck to have. So, what would you do with this Mercury?

EXCLUSIVE: 1972 Ford LTD Coupe

Josh Mortensen
Josh Mortensen

If you have been on the hunt for a classic with a truly unique look, reader Mike D has the car for you! This 1972 Ford LTD Coupe has one incredible look, as it is showing some serious patina. Mike purchased it at a charity auction, got it home, cleaned it and was even able to get it running and driving again. It’s currently riding on a set of custom rims, but he installed those just to drive it around as the original tires were no longer safe and are not included with the car. He has a set of used tires that he can install on the original rims for transportation. If you’d love to give this original LTD a new home, you can find it in Tampa, Florida and you can make him an offer below!

When we usually think of the LTD, we think of big sedans and station wagons, but the LTD was also offered as a nicely appointed Coupe and a convertible as well. You really don’t see the two-door variants much anymore, which is a shame as they are really impressive machines. Having purchased it from a charity auction, Mike doesn’t know any of the car’s history, but chances are it was owned by an older couple who drove it to the grocery store during the week and to Church on Sunday. Clearly, it has been parked for a long time and it’s likely that the 43k miles showing on the odometer are accurate.

Technically speaking, this LTD was based on the Galaxie 500, but it received a number of unique features to make it stand out from the Galaxie. The most obvious feature is the interior and it is almost as luxurious as a Lincoln. There’s a fair amount of debate as to whether LTD stood for Luxury, Limited, or Lincoln Trim Decor. There are also those who believe that it didn’t mean anything at all and was just a random designation the marketing department came up with. Who knows? This one looks to be in really great shape inside, which is pretty amazing given how the outside looks.

In 1972, you could order your LTD with a 351, a 400, or a 460 V8. Mike isn’t sure which engine this one has, but it looks like the 351 to me. It’s said to run great and while the engine bay definitely needs some detailing, it looks to be all original. Given the level of luxury these were meant to provide, it has AC, but it’s likely going to need a rebuild to blow cold after sitting.

This LTD really does have a wild look to it as it sits. A fresh coat of paint would definitely make it a nicer looking car, but if you want something eyecatching, leaving it as is would be the route to go. As it sits, it would surely take home an award at the Concours d’Lemons! Given how clean the interior is and that the engine runs, you could start enjoying this one while working on the cosmetics or you can just drive it as is. If you’d love to have it, be sure to make Mike an offer!
  • Asking Price: $7,500
  • Mileage: 43,331
  • Title Status: Clean
  • VIN: 2E62H270682

Fire Chief Find: 1966 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon

blank.gif
Jim ODonnell

Well if you are looking for automotive uniqueness, something that many of us probably wished we could drive at some point in our pasts, look no further because here it is. This 1966 Ford Country Sedan Fire Chief’s car, located in Franklin, Ohio, is available here on eBay for a current bid of $7,500. As of this writing, there are 31 bids currently tendered.

The listing refers to this Fire Chief’s car as a Galaxie while Ford referred to this station wagon model as a Country Sedan. That said, there is no Country Sedan badge on either quarter panel so I suppose it could be referenced as either. Ford had a very extensive “police package” line up in ’66 which included the Country Sedan wagon among other models. It is not clear if that package extended to emergency vehicles like this wagon.

Under the hood is Ford’s ubiquitous 390 CI “FE series” V8 engine. There were two varieties available in ’66, one at 275 HP and the other good for 315; it is uncertain which variety this engine is. The seller doesn’t say specifically how this wagon runs but the engine is spotless and I have to make the assumption, based on the listing, that it runs fine. A Ford C6 three-speed automatic transmission gets the “go” to the rear wheels.

The body of this Country Sedan looks to be arrow straight with a very strong paint finish; it is large and red! The seller adds, “The paint is super nice and slick with very few imperfections, the body is straight as an arrow, all chrome and stainless are as good as it gets to be original…” I don’t find this to be surprising as fire departments are known for maintaining their vehicles/equipment and they are generally stored indoors. One nice touch is the lettering adorning the flanks which the seller tells us is hand-applied gold-leaf.

The interior is as expected. This Country Sedan has Ford’s unique “way-back” third row, facing seats. Other station wagons of the time usually had a bench seat that faced backwards with a view through the rear window. Of course, the interior is, what else, red! The front seat does show some wear or fading but this Ford has in fact seen 85,000 miles of motoring to some wear is expected. All in all, it appears to be in good nick, again testament to the care and storage usually afforded fire department vehicles.

So, the elephant in the room is about the specific equipment as in warning lights and sirens. The seller tells us that the sirens are, “very, very loud” and I’m not surprised. You could have a lot of fun with a set-up like this but you might get yourself in a bit trouble with the authorities too. Of course, the flip side is you’ll probably never get pulled over for speeding – you may even get a police escort to wherever you’re going (you just better hope there’s a fire at your destination).

The seller tells us that he was thinking about converting this wagon into a family custom cruiser and then thought better of it. I think that was a wise move on his part as a reasonably good ’60s station wagon can always be found; we encounter them here on Barn Finds all of the time. But a full-tilt, fire department vehicle in excellent, original condition? Good luck finding another. What’s your vote, leave it as is or go for a non-equipped conversion?

More: Ford Country Sedan

Rare Combination: 1967 Ford Mustang GT Convertible

Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

After 23-years, the owner of this 1967 Mustang GT Convertible has raised the white flag and admitted that he is never going to get to the point of restoring the car. As such, he has decided sell it, and I have to say a big thank you to Barn Finder Roger for referring the Convertible through to us. It is worth serious consideration, because while it needs some work, it is a pretty unusual car in its own right. It is located in Bartlett, Illinois, and has been listed for sale here on Craigslist. You can take this Mustang project home today by handing the owner $25,000.

As you can see, the last time that the Mustang saw a road was way back in 1974. It has been in storage ever since, and the next owner is going to have some work ahead of them to recapture this classic’s glory days. It appears that it is suffering many of the usual Mustang rust problems, as the owner acknowledges issues with the floors, and also makes mention of the need for some patch panels. Chances are good that this will include areas such as the lower rear quarter panels, and possibly the bottoms of the fenders and rockers. It isn’t clear how healthy the frame is, so this will need to be determined by personal inspection.

The interior of the Mustang is a pretty sad and sorry sight, so a complete restoration is going to be on the cards. The dash has been partially dismantled, and it isn’t clear whether all of the removed pieces are included in the sale. The same is true of the door trims, but it does look like at least the seats are present. The owner does acknowledge that there are some minor parts missing across the car, and I suspect that a few of these relate to interior trim. Still, if the Mustang is restored to its original combination of Candy Apple Red with Black interior trim, then it will be a very attractive looking car.

Even from the 20-feet away that this photo was taken, the rattle-can work on the engine is pretty obvious. It isn’t a quality piece of work, and to my mind, it is no way to treat a classic that has been equipped from the factory with a 390ci S-Code V8. The owner claims that the Mustang has traveled a genuine 16,000 miles, and if it has really been off the road since 1974, then this is certainly conceivable. Hooked to the back of the 390 is a 4-speed manual transmission, and while it isn’t specifically stated, I do believe that the engine and transmission are both original. Once again, there are a few items such as the carburetor that are missing. However, if the engine and transmission are original to this car, then it actually represents a pretty rare combination. Production figures indicate that 44,808 Mustang Convertibles were built during the 1967 model year. When you add an S-Code and a 4-speed to the mix, that is a real game-changer. This combination in a Convertible amounted to a grand total of 940 cars, making this one a pretty special vehicle.
We’ve seen plenty of pretty rusty Mustang project cars that have been revived here at Barn Finds, and this one looks no worse than any of those cars. If the S-Code and 4-speed are original, that gives the Mustang an added level of rarity. With nicely restored examples of the same configuration commanding prices of $90,000 or more, that would seem to make the restoration of this car well worth the effort.

More: Convertible / Ford / Mustang

36,361 Original Miles: 1986 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Bidding is just about to clear the reserve price for this clean, low-mileage 1986 Ford Mustang GT. The description highlights the original mileage of just 36,361 and its pristine condition, thanks to being garage-stored since new. While the Fox Body chassis has always been popular, these “four-eyed” Mustangs pop up far less frequently in the ideal combination of GT trim with the manual transmission. Find it here on eBay with bidding at $9K.

While pictures don’t do the Mustang any justice, it’s clear it hasn’t been messed with too much over the years, as little details like the OEM mudflaps and 10-hole alloy wheels are all true to factory condition. Paintwork looks quite nice and red over gray cloth is a great combo for anyone hunting a clean Fox Body. It’s funny – I almost forget Ford made this era of Mustang in traditional GT trim, as the SVO tends to hog the limelight when it comes to Mustangs made in 1986.

The interior is a treat, and helps to provide some additional evidence that the seller’s claims about originality and condition are accurate. There’s really nothing to critique in the cabin, as even the typically-saggy storage pockets on the door panes are in great shape. Grey cloth with red piping is a classic look for the early Fox Body GTs, and looks especially good on a red car with the dark gray beltline trim. The dash shows no cracks, and the factory radio remains in place.

The gauge cluster looks clean and clear, and the colors and cleanness of the plastic surfaces are typical for a car this fresh. The eBay pictures reveal that the exterior GT graphics are in similar condition, making it very likely it has been garage stored for much of its life. Pictures show an older gentleman in front of the car, presumably the longtime owner; hopefully, he was paid a fair price before the GT appeared here on eBay with a Buy-It-Now of $10K.

36,361 Original Miles: 1986 Ford Mustang GT

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

Bidding is just about to clear the reserve price for this clean, low-mileage 1986 Ford Mustang GT. The description highlights the original mileage of just 36,361 and its pristine condition, thanks to being garage-stored since new. While the Fox Body chassis has always been popular, these “four-eyed” Mustangs pop up far less frequently in the ideal combination of GT trim with the manual transmission. Find it here on eBay with bidding at $9K.

While pictures don’t do the Mustang any justice, it’s clear it hasn’t been messed with too much over the years, as little details like the OEM mudflaps and 10-hole alloy wheels are all true to factory condition. Paintwork looks quite nice and red over gray cloth is a great combo for anyone hunting a clean Fox Body. It’s funny – I almost forget Ford made this era of Mustang in traditional GT trim, as the SVO tends to hog the limelight when it comes to Mustangs made in 1986.

The interior is a treat, and helps to provide some additional evidence that the seller’s claims about originality and condition are accurate. There’s really nothing to critique in the cabin, as even the typically-saggy storage pockets on the door panes are in great shape. Grey cloth with red piping is a classic look for the early Fox Body GTs, and looks especially good on a red car with the dark gray beltline trim. The dash shows no cracks, and the factory radio remains in place.

The gauge cluster looks clean and clear, and the colors and cleanness of the plastic surfaces are typical for a car this fresh. The eBay pictures reveal that the exterior GT graphics are in similar condition, making it very likely it has been garage stored for much of its life. Pictures show an older gentleman in front of the car, presumably the longtime owner; hopefully, he was paid a fair price before the GT appeared here on eBay with a Buy-It-Now of $10K.

22 hours ago • For Sale15 Comments
193 Mile 1989 Ford Mustang LX Convertible!
Adam Clarke
Adam Clarke

Apparently, the original owner of this 1989 Mustang LX Convertible purchased the car and immediately parked it in his garage next to his ultra-low mileage 1965 VW Beetle. The pair sat there unused until he passed away some years later. His son then inherited the cars and the situation remained the same for a few more years. Now the Mustang is ready to move to a new owner, having only managed to accumulate an amazing 193 miles throughout its lifetime. If this is a car that really takes your fancy, then you will find it located in Denison, Texas, and listed for sale here on eBay. Bidding on the Mustang has worked its way to $22,000, but the reserve hasn’t been met.

The combination of Black paint and a black soft-top makes for a very striking car. With the claimed mileage for this car, it would be easy to expect perfect presentation, but that actually isn’t the case. The rear bumper is showing some pretty significant fading, while there are also some minor marks on the front edge of the hood. I find this damage to be a bit surprising, and it makes me wonder whether the Mustang might have been parked in a position where the rear bumper was exposed to UV rays. The damage on the hood is more of a mystery, but it is hard to tell how severe it is from the photos. It might be possible to address the worst of this with a wet sand and a polish. The wheels look faultless and wear the original tires. The owner advises that these will need to be changed, as they have developed some pretty severe flat spots from sitting for so many years.

Some changes to hardware and electronics for the 1989 model year saw power from the 5.0-liter V8 fitted to the Mustang experience a minor drop over the previous year. The V8 was still producing 225hp, endowing the vehicle with reasonably brisk performance. Backing the V8 in this Mustang is a 4-speed automatic transmission, which sends the engine’s power to a Traction-Lok rear end. Given the fact that the car has been sitting for so long, there is probably going to be a pretty thorough inspection required before it can be returned to active service. However, there is evidence that some work has been undertaken in the relatively recent past. The owner holds a receipt that verifies that the Mustang received a flush of its brake fluid, coolant, and power steering fluid in 2016. It also successfully completed a Californian emissions test at that point. Beyond that, it isn’t clear whether any other work has been completed, so I’d be bracing for a fuel system clean and the potential replacing of soft components such as belts and hoses before I would be game to drive any distance.

The interior presentation of the Mustang is very much in keeping with a car that has traveled less than 200 miles. The combination of grey cloth and vinyl has a nice look to it, and there actually isn’t much to be critical of here. There have been no aftermarket additions made, and the car comes with a nice level of appointments, especially in a 1989 context. As well as air conditioning and cruise control, the Mustang features power operation for the windows, locks, seats, and mirrors. An AM/FM cassette stereo and tilt wheel would seem to round things out quite nicely.

The owner of this Mustang provides previous auction results for similar Mustangs, and they do make for interesting reading. The figures quoted range from $24,200 to $82,500. That’s a lot of money, and while the evidence is readily available to back the figures, the only thing that I will question is that none of the examples provided are specifically for a 1989 Mustang. He does say that if it doesn’t sell via the eBay listing, then it will be going to Barrett-Jackson in January. Therefore, if it doesn’t sell on eBay, it will be interesting to see what happens then. What I will say is that cars sold through Barrett-Jackson have a tendency to sell for higher average prices than in the private sector, so if you are seriously interested in this Mustang, I would consider bidding on the eBay listing pretty soon.

More: Convertible / Ford / Fox Body / Mustang

SUV Survivor: 1988 Lamborghini LM002

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

The Lamborghini LM002 remains one of those vehicles that causes you to question whether it was ever actually produced, or just a car show circuit creation designed to generate some much-needed buzz. No, it was indeed very real, a ultra-capable 4×4 sold with a Lamborghini Countach V12 under the hood and marketed to the military before letting consumers get behind the wheel. Rare when new and even more so today, this one listed here on the DuPont Registry website is claimed to be a one-owner vehicle that is listed for $350,000.

Thanks to Barn Finds reader Jonathan H. for the find. The LM002 is way more exotic than the Hummer H1 or H2, but you can see how it laid the groundwork for that model and the re-engineering of the Mercedes G-Class into a swanky hauler for the rich and famous. These former military vehicles never got a second look, especially considering how unpleasant they were to drive, but the LM002 changed all of that by emerging as both an extremely capable off-roader with excellent driving dynamics (for an SUV) and an opulent interior.

Now, that’s not to say those vehicles do very much to hide their military-grade underpinnings. Unlike a modern SUV, they still ride harshly and have a turning radius that rivals a small school bus. But the exclusivity factor is off the charts, hence why people of means and the image-conscious flock to them, and why the G-Class has survived well past its expiration date. The LM002 ultimately shames the big Benz and H1 because it’s even rarer and easily more exotic. Throw in the fact that it features a manual gearbox hooked up to a Countach V12 and it’s game over.

The listing doesn’t provide much of any detail, and even if the asking price effectively weeds out 90% of the buying public, even the upper 10% would likely still want to know how well that maintenance-hungry V12 has been looked after. The LM002 is the kind of vehicle that requires an annual upkeep budget that rivals that of several needy vehicles at the same time, but if you’re spending $350K on one vehicle, a few four or five-figure service bills likely won’t phase you too much.

More: Lamborghini

Same year and same size as one I had. Mine was a Starcraft with Rear Bunks and was a Chev Cassis with 400. Wasn't much better on gas that the 440 would have been.

25k Mile Minnie Winnie: 1979 Winnebago 23RB

Jeff Lavery
Jeff Lavery

When it comes to vintage R/Vs, it pays to buy the best one you can find. This is for a few reasons: one, the “best” is usually not that expensive, and two, the worst is usually a borderline biohazard at this point. This 1979 Dodge/Winnebago Minnie Winnie is a 440-powered example with under 30,000 original miles and in seemingly excellent condition inside and out. It’s not impossible to find an old-school R/V that has been used sparingly as a summer- or vacation-only vehicle, and this one seems to fit that description. Find the Winnebago here on eBay with bidding at $6,300 and no reserve.

The Winnebago shows excellent cosmetics on the outside, with bright decals and the iconic “W” still standing loud and proud on the sides of the camper. Usually, when you see these in the junkyard, the roof is ready to cave in after years of unmitigated water intrusion, but that’s clearly not the case here. You do read about the grandparents buying one of these to live out their retirement years on the road, and then end up only going on a handful of road trips before it gets parked as piloting a large vehicle becomes too difficult.

The interior is super clean and looks move-in ready. The lounging quarters look right-now comfortable, and the cooking and food prep surfaces look like they’ve been wiped down after every meal. Wood paneling runs rampant in R/Vs of this era, further enhancing the ugliness inside when water intrusion is an issue. Not so here, as there’s no indication of warpage on the wood-look paneling. Curtains provide privacy when you’re not letting in the ample natural daylighting.

The seller notes this was the top-of-the-line model back in the day, noted as the “23RB” trim that likely denotes its 23-foot length. A Class C motorhome, it looks reasonably easy for even a novice R/Ver to pilot, and the Minnie Winnie is outfitted with the optional 440 V8 which should make uphill grades a bit less terrifying. The Dodge is listed at no reserve, and while no mechanical faults are noted, the drivetrain can likely be serviced with parts available at your local NAPA store. Would you spring for this Dodge or hold out for a 22R-equipped Toyota camper conversion?

More: Dodge / Winnebago

True Barn Find: 1956 Ford F100

Montana Danford
Montana Danford

You are looking at most car people’s fantasy. A classic truck found in a barn with years of dust all over it, just waiting for someone to pull it out, clean it up and enjoy it. This 1956 F100 is a true barn find and luckily for us, it hasn’t fallen into the “I’m going to fix it up someday” category and is actually for sale! It can be found for sale here on eBay with a current bid of $4,500. There isn’t any information in the ad about who the truck belonged to or how it was discovered, but it has likely been stored for decades. Located in Scott City, Missouri, it is in remarkably good shape and will probably be a great project for someone. Let’s take a closer look!

The engine is a 233 cubic inch straight-six and looks like it’s in decent condition. Amazingly the ad says the lights and horn work. Given this truck was stored for so long, it’s a surprise that critters haven’t gone after some of the wiring. The transmission is a three-on-the-tree manual and although the ad doesn’t really say if it runs or drives, there has been some work done to get it up and going again. The heater hoses, fuel line, points, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil were all addressed. The seller does say the truck needs a new fuel pump, which will hopefully get it running well.

The interior looks original and based on the photos it will probably clean up well with a little elbow grease. It’s amazing how much surface rust and imperfections can be buffed out with a little effort.

The seller is honest about some rust issues and they have several detailed photos in the ad documenting the major blemishes. The only truly major issues are some holes in the rear fender. Obviously the wood in the bed has seen better days, but it doesn’t appear to be rotted through or needs replacing right away. Overall, this looks like a great project for someone. What do you think?

More: F100 / Ford

German Mustang: 1970 Ford T-5 Mach 1

blank.gif
Jim ODonnell

When is a Ford Mustang not a Mustang? When it’s a T5 Mach 1. Confused? I was until I read the listing for this 1970 T5 Mach 1, located in Hampton, South Carolina and available here on eBay with a current bid of $3,550, reserve not yet met.

Back in 1970, Ford wanted to sell Mustangs in Germany but due to the copyright ownership of the name “Mustang” by a German company, Ford decided to rename the car instead of paying a licensing fee. The seller tells us that there were 86 Mach I T5’s produced by Ford in ’70 that were destined to Germany. Hemmings puts the total number of T5’s at 337 so we are working with a very small subset of total Mustang production. Hemmings further claims that the whereabouts of only 24 T5’s are known, 10 of those 24 being Mach I’s. So, what’s the biggest difference between a Mustang and a T5? It appears to be just the removal of the “Mustang” nameplate. The seller says there is a T5 badge on the front fenders but I cannot discern it from the available images.

This T5 is a Mach 1 “M” code which means for power it has a 300 horsepower 351 CI “Cleveland” V8. As Ford aficionados know, ’70 was the first year for the Cleveland 335 series engine. The listing claims that the “motor turns free and oil looks OK” so it may or may not actually run. Behind the 351 is a three-speed automatic transmission.

This Ford has problems underside. The seller states, “Needs floor pans, rear part of trunk floor, lower part of torque boxes, drop-offs, and lower rear quarter patch panels.” As you can see from the accompanying image, integrity problems abound. This Mach I is going to need a lot of metalwork.

The body on this Mach 1 is, how shall I say it? Banged up. It doesn’t seem to be too far gone but there are a lot of dents and ripples that will need attention. This is labor-intensive work that just ends up being time-consuming and expensive. There is definitely something to work with here but depending on how original you want to go with this T5 will determine time, effort and dollars.

The interior is grungy. Like the body, not too far gone, the upholstery actually looks to be intact, but it’s going to need a lot of cleaning and restoration. The floor damage is not visible from the interior. The large rust spot on the passenger side foot-well mat tells me the heater core has let go.

There are two things here to consider. The first is the value and expense to acquire and restore a 1970 “M” code Mach I Mustang. The second is to figure if the “T5” designation adds enough additional value to go for an example like this car as opposed to staying with the best “Mustang” Mach I that you can find in your price range. This one is a real education for me, I was not aware of these T5 designated versions – it’s really an interesting story and they do appear to quite rare. What do you think, does the rarity of the T5 designation, knowing this car’s condition, make this Mach I more attractive in terms of collectibility value than a regular Mustang Mach I?

More: Ford / Mach 1

Back