What did you do to your mustang today

What Gerry said is very true.

The shop mentioned advertises custom interiors and seats.
I’m mot sure I’d trust them on gears.

Isn’t there a place called Goguin Tire in Moncton?
They fixed the clutch bearing in my brother-in-law’s 2007 a couple years ago and did a great job.
I would enquire if they can do gears?
Including shimming as Trevor mentions.

Or I would consider Taylor Ford.
A big dealer like that will have a couple of guys that are good/expert at that.
They get factory training, including the shimming process.

I can share this from my dealings with my shop.
Motive gears are known for making whining noise. It’s how they are cut.
It’s inherent to them.
They are Italian. They don’t make Ford Racing gears.

Ford Racing gears are known to be quieter.
I have Motive gears in my 2006 because they are one of very few if not only company that make 3.90 gears for 8.8 diff.
When I bought them, my shop warned me about the noise before selling them to me.
I assumed the risk
They are noisier than FP but I’m ok with the result.
Ordering from reputable shops that will give these warnings is worth a few dollars.

Doing used gears from another car is also not advisable because gears wear to a car’s rear end and driveline.
Using gears from another car will almost assuredly cause unwanted noise.

The knocking sound could very well be a carrier bearing.
Shimming is a crucial part of the process.
If you re-use the Motive gears, you will likely not eliminate all of your moise.

If you want 100% noise free, get Ford OE or Ford Racing gears and consider Taylor Ford, and replace any ancillary parts they suggest to you.

I don't mind a little noise.There has to be something worn or loose in there.Dynamic builds the give away cars for the Atlantic Nationals.Went to the gear store and they jerked me around.Not customer friendly at all.Taylor and I have never seen eye to eye but I may have them change the transmission fluid.I miss my old mechanic.

I don't mind a little noise.There has to be something worn or loose in there.Dynamic builds the give away cars for the Atlantic Nationals.Went to the gear store and they jerked me around.Not customer friendly at all.Taylor and I have never seen eye to eye but I may have them change the transmission fluid.I miss my old mechanic.

So Dynamic is actually offering a gear service? I was aware they are building cars, but I am surprised they actually do in house mechanic, as deep as gears at that!!

They installed my roof, but I made the rookie mistake to bring the roof myself, from a company he wasn't used using and it doesn't fit well. Not their fault they tried 3 times, I believe the roof to be defective BUT have no money to shoot back to the roof for round 2. Will live with this one until it's time for it's replacement. I do have a very positive experience with them but it's with their upholstery department. As per above, wasn't aware they had a mechanic department.

The have an upholstery service,a paint service and a mechanical service.They get Shep to rebuild their transmissions but they do everthing else mechanical.They are going to spend an hour to take the cover off and inspect it and we will take it from there.They feel it may be more of a bearing problem and yes I am ok with a small amount of gear noise.This is almost a howl you would get off a heavy snow tire.

Good luck.
You are now aware that Motive likely won’t be full quiet.

Can you remind me the year and previous owner name of your car?
I keep meaning to ask my cousin if he has your window sticker.
But get wrapped up in work and overlook it.

We used to say On Time, On Budget, Working: pick any two
Being in and around the service business for 45 years most people when it comes to getting work done , they want 3 things , in this order

Fixed right first time
Fixed in the time you said ( 2 hours, 2 days ,whatever was agreed )
Fixed for the price you discussed

If you hit the first one , Fixed the first time the , job can take a little longer or even cost more and those will be complaints but forgotten as the vehicle is working like it should

miss the first one - you are done - 3 strikes and you are out

my advice is simple, do research, do it right.
and choose wisely. Often best prices are not best job.
sometimes you can get deals, but becarefull what thats for.

Products and advice given here may differ, but more often than not
its good advice from folks who have no skin in the game.
Just want to see folks have success, so take that kind of advice with
a little more weight.

What Gerry said is very true.

The shop mentioned advertises custom interiors and seats.
I’m mot sure I’d trust them on gears.

Isn’t there a place called Goguin Tire in Moncton?
They fixed the clutch bearing in my brother-in-law’s 2007 a couple years ago and did a great job.
I would enquire if they can do gears?
Including shimming as Trevor mentions.

Or I would consider Taylor Ford.
A big dealer like that will have a couple of guys that are good/expert at that.
They get factory training, including the shimming process.

I can share this from my dealings with my shop.
Motive gears are known for making whining noise. It’s how they are cut.
It’s inherent to them.
They are Italian. They don’t make Ford Racing gears.

Ford Racing gears are known to be quieter.
I have Motive gears in my 2006 because they are one of very few if not only company that make 3.90 gears for 8.8 diff.
When I bought them, my shop warned me about the noise before selling them to me.
I assumed the risk
They are noisier than FP but I’m ok with the result.
Ordering from reputable shops that will give these warnings is worth a few dollars.

Doing used gears from another car is also not advisable because gears wear to a car’s rear end and driveline.
Using gears from another car will almost assuredly cause unwanted noise.

The knocking sound could very well be a carrier bearing.
Shimming is a crucial part of the process.
If you re-use the Motive gears, you will likely not eliminate all of your moise.

If you want 100% noise free, get Ford OE or Ford Racing gears and consider Taylor Ford, and replace any ancillary parts they suggest to you.
When I was doing my gear research I was told that even if I ordered Ford Racing Gears to be careful of the part numbers ending in M as they where made by Motive for Ford. I read numerous people commenting on this that the M where prone to whining and the A where not. So this is not the case Marc?
Ones I ordered-M-4209-G410A
Ones I was told to avoid-M-4209-G410M (I was told the M stood for Motive)

Maybe it is something completely different but Summit and American Muscle both told me the same thing. Maybe they were wrong. But plenty of complaints online with the ones ending in M from what I had read.

Well you know what?
I’m not knowledgeable enough to refute that claim.
It’s news to me but not impossible I guess.

You are, or they are right that Motive have that reputation for whining noise.
I was warned about that up front by my shop.

I have also bought Ford Racing before from same shop and they never said anything about A or M designation, but then again that could very well be because they sourced the A parts for me up front to ensure I would get the best result and they don’t need to explain the difference.

In my experience, Ford Racing was quiet, almost stock quality.
I have Motive now and they do nake more noise
In my setup though, I don’t mind
I know they’re still there. ?

I was going off the fact that vast majority of Mustang parts are all made in USA and since Motive is Italian I didn’t think they would be pegged to do stuff for the Americans.

But Ford is an international company and they have partners everywhere.
Anything’s possible.

Note, other than extra noise though, Motive have good reputation for durability.
It’s like race quality stuff.

There you go. Good news.
Your car is worth more than you thought.

If you’re not in a hurry, I can probably Pony Express it in person one of these days.
I might even be going down this weekend.

PM me to start a conversation and we can keep in touch.

Back