Tools

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
We all have some, some have alot. :)
What is your favorite brand or does it matter?
How big or how many tool boxes do you have?

With shrinking options, what or where would you buy tools from?
Do you have some / any specialty tools?

I am sure I have missed a few obvious questions,
but I am sure with time this thread could be enlightening.

When I first started working on my vehicles, late 80's, I was a fan of Craftsman. Not crazy expensive like Snap On, but same guarantee.

I got to the point (1990) where I bought a top box, and as the years progressed, I added on to it with a bottom box, middle box and two side boxes. Still have that set.

As the years went by, I felt that the quality of Craftsman tools were dropping off, and eventually Sears closed.

These days, I'm buying Canadian Tire Maximum gear.....quite happy with the quality and usually you can get what you're looking for around half price if you hit it right. I ended up buying a Maximum top box and matching bottom bow for around half price, I think the model was coming to the end of its run and they wanted to clear it out. Bigger and better built than my Craftsman set, but its 30 years newer.

Currently tucked away behind the car in the garage.

I was always a fan of Craftsman and would often shop Sears in the states when there. The US Craftsman seemed to be a higher quality again than we could get here. Interesting to see the Craftsman brand popping up again as I think they were bought by Stanley. I also like Mastercraft Maximum as the quality is more than adequate for most jobs and very affordable if bought on sale. I also have a significant collection of Snap On stuff mainly for aircraft work ( torque wrenches especially as they have to be checked for calibration). Roller toolbox for the garage and a layered Pelican case for travel.

My main and favorite socket sets, wrenches, and torques are Westward and all in my Mastercraft rolling tool box with top chest. I also have Mastercraft socket set kits in all my cars, DeWalt and Rigid cordless lithium impact guns are used very often. Pliers and locking pliers are either Mastercraft maximum or Vise-grip. All screw drivers are Mastercraft maximum. Campbell Hausfeld is most of my air tools with my Devilbiss 5hp compressor.. for the most part you get what you pay for so I don't get too many from princess auto unless they will be used very little for light work..
I just need a dedicated garage for working in with a lift or two

Last edited:
Speciality tooling - you get what you pay for !

For general hand tools I’ve got quite a mix. Snap on , 40+ year Gray and Proto, some US Craftsman, MAC and some SK. Screwdrivers are 90% snap on. There is a Stanley multi Kit that lives on the trunk of car for working on what needs it on the road. Most newer stuff is Mastercraft Professional , including the 2 sets of ratchet wrenches seem to work decent. I’m not a great fan of Princess Auto wrenches, they are usually in my one time use - cut and make pile. Their cheap stuff is cheap and their good stuff costs more than you can get better elsewhere. CTC sales usually bring some decent / reasonable prices- the regular prices are nuts! As for tool storage , 2 old Beach multi drawer boxes, a road tech luggable Snapon and a fold out top multi layer box work well for the majority of the stuff. I’ve found a couple of Klein ( electrical tool maker ) tool bags that are great for that trip to a remote location.
18 and 20v electrics are beginning to replace a lot of air tools. The 35 year old Craftsman air compressor will soon need a rebuild from years of impact guns and impact hammers.
Over the years speciality tools for suspension -spring compressors - battery testing, specialized wrenches for specific jobs just seem to happen. Coolant and DEF refractometers, dial indicators, measuring tools ,3/4 drive in English and Metric all have seen use. The 05-08 dreaded “spark plug broke” lisle removal tool had to be purchased for just one job. Dad’s old mechanical press has seen lots of use, 4 ton engine lift and engine stand are packed away but not too far.
Brake retract tools, ball mount presses - I spent too much I guess but have managed to keep a lot of people on the road over the years.

A lift would be a great addition as Al said, I missed one last year - who knows ?

Wow some of you have some crazy tool collections.

I have an old set of Mastercraft professional sockets and a set of Stanley. My impact set is a power fist set from Princess Auto. Works fine for what I ever have to do with it. A mixture of Mastercraft screwdrivers, wrenches and some visegrip brand visegrips. My 2 torque wrenches are Mastercraft. My air tools and compressor are just a kit I got for Christmas one year from Canadian tire. I also have an electric impact I use very often. The old 2 piece tool box needs replaced at some point. It is an older Mastercraft as well.

I haven’t got into the cordless impacts yet but I hear there are some decent ones out there.

The tools I have are all over the place. My mom worked for years at Sears so a lot are Craftsman. Mastercraft is another popular name in the collection.

FYI. About two years or so ago I bought a Ryobi impact drill with a regular drill combo set to use at the cottage. Came with two batteries and one crapped out about a month ago. Called Ryobi, they asked me questions, took some serial numbers and mailed out a new battery. Simple as that. I was impressed.

Quick comment on the cordless drivers. I had a couple of the Craftsman ( 20V, 10V ) drivers years ago , I used the 20V Craftsman with a NiCad battery to build my deck and fence one summer back in the day, they paid for themselves in short order. A real workout though, it got heavy when you were driving deck screws all day, but better than swinging a hammer.

Flash forward to a couple years ago when I picked up a 12V Maximum unit (on sale of course) with the Li-Ion battery.....wow, what a difference in the weight, plus the Maximum's have a built in LED which can be a real help as well.

Got an air tool starter kit when I got a Maximum compressor, don't use them as much as some folks might, but its nice to have them when you need them. Even something as simple as topping up the air in your tires makes it nice to have, the days of the service station air supplies have almost disappeared, and I wasn't surprised to see one that actually cost a loonie to make it work.

Wow some of you have some crazy tool collections.

I have an old set of Mastercraft professional sockets and a set of Stanley. My impact set is a power fist set from Princess Auto. Works fine for what I ever have to do with it. A mixture of Mastercraft screwdrivers, wrenches and some visegrip brand visegrips. My 2 torque wrenches are Mastercraft. My air tools and compressor are just a kit I got for Christmas one year from Canadian tire. I also have an electric impact I use very often. The old 2 piece tool box needs replaced at some point. It is an older Mastercraft as well.

I haven’t got into the cordless impacts yet but I hear there are some decent ones out there.
I had a lower price corded impact from Cdn Tire and upgraded to a corded impact called "nut buster" from Cdn Tire and now I never use my air impact guns and my compressor only inflates or blows dirt out of stuff.

Yep those Milwaukees are a pretty dollar, son in law has one and it did impress me lots !!!

After seeing it work I kinda wanted one too but no way was I gonna pay that much for what I need it for, so I bought a similar one from CT and that Maximum 20 V gun is very impressive and at a fraction of the price to boot too, especially when on sale. If in the market for one I would say check it out, works awesome and I do believe it's rated at 750 pounds .....

US Craftsmen tools and tool cabinets bought over the years starting way back in the mid 90s.

My first piece was a 120 piece socket set that I brought back from Detroit on a business trip in my hand luggage, it went through the scanners and they did not bat an eye lid surprisingly.

0256CBB4-F2AF-4C21-A910-BE250BEA9BE2.jpeg

1606605279345.jpeg

Thisis my son Sean’s toolbox, a Ford 550. He’s got stuff from Snapon and other places. He’s got Milwaukee battery tools, and keeps trying to scoff my Milwaukee 12v impact gun because it’s smaller than his 20v unit and fits in more places

My own tools are Milwaukee 12v impact gun, 1/2 drill, impact screwdriver and ratchet. For hand tools I have craftsman, jet, Stanley Xalite and Klein and other assorted brands some almost 30 years old. I won’t buy xcilite Robertson screwdrivers as they are a 2 piece design with the bit pressed into the shank. I had to have 4 number 2s replaced as I spun the bit in the shaft, very annoying while up a ships mast. The Klein ones are a single piece bit and shank and are more robust

Speaking of tools, I'll expand the discussion to yard work......used to rent a Stihl Yard Boss MM55 from the local Home Hardware. Blowing snow on to the front lawn all winter usually results in a fair bit of dirt and rocks in the spring, and the MM55 has a set of rubber paddles that sweep all that crap right off. Here's a Google pic with the bristle brushes, but you get the idea.

Stihl-PowerBrush-Wheels.jpg

Anyway, as the old story goes, I liked it so much I bought one. Theres a number of attachments, like the lawn de-thatcher, the sidewalk edger and blades to cultivate your garden or landscaping beds. Love the quality and engineering of the Stihl equipment, the drive differential at the bottom of the unit is reversible, so you can throw rocks and stones away from you while sweeping, and flip the drive around for de-thatching or cultivating , and it pulls the unit ahead. Easy to transition between the different attachments, well engineered and well built, I try to use it as often as I can, and since I'm lazy, I buy the Stihl pre-mixed fuel. For the residential home owner, it does everything it needs to.

Also bought a Stihl BG50 leaf blower.....it's entry level, less than $200 all in, but its really powerful and quite light.

Full disclosure, I've used it more times to blow off the car and the truck after washing than any leaf blowing, so its paid for itself already, plus it saves time drying the vehicles, with less chance of scratching.

Unknown.jpeg
Really good at getting those holdup spots, like the lugs on the wheels, or mirrors.

No, I'm not a spokesman for Stihl, just a satisfied customer. lol

My collection started many years ago with Craftsman socket set and wrenches, English sizes only back then.

Been collecting ever since, added a mastercraft sockets and wrenches a few years back, both metric and imperial.

I gotta say my favorite all-time favorite tool is the cordless driver. On my third one. The set I have now has two drivers, recip saw, light, and circular saw. Great tools for the off grid camp at the lake. My least favorite tools include paint brushes and lawn mowers.

Moving up higher on my list of favorite tools is the chain saw. I milled some lumber this summer using a big saw and an Alaskan Chain saw mill. Dorian blew over a large tree at the lake. It was 77’ tall.

Still there is an occasion when I will buy an odd ball socket or borrow one. I may have a need for some triple square bits soon too. Why would manufacturers need to invent more head types, do you suppose they want you to feel you are forced to go to the Stealership for service.

I do enjoy diving into another repair and figuring out how to get it done, often involves a new tool that is required. It easily justifies buying new tools.

Back