Tire suggestions/Mod discussions

2001BlackGTvert

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys,

so as some have you have seen I am looking at changing my wheels to a staggered setup. 17”x9” out front and 17”x10.5” out back. I am looking at running 275/40-17 out front and 315/35-17 out back. I am currently running Cooper Zeon RS3 A for the last few years and l really like them. I do not race or autocross so just regular roads for me. This being said is there anything oit there that you guys have ran that i might look at that would fall into the same type of budget?

I am waiting on a price now but it was suggested to me to wait until after Christmas as they are hard to find and that is how they price now. They are already in winter tire mode.

So I have some time as my plan is to get them over the winter anyways. Just try to figure out if there is something different.

As for yours i will pass. I couldn’t afford to run those. Haha

Looks like you have a match in diameter for the fronts and rears at about 26.6". Not sure how common those sizes are. I was limited in the size choices. Thats the main huddle.
I have used a Toyo Proxes F4 which was an aggressive all season tire. Reasonable price. This was a few years back on my Fox T Bird.
There are other less main stream tire guys out of Asia like Nexen and Sumitumo. These have a nice look and at good prices.

thundr;n32014 said:
Looks like you have a match in diameter for the fronts and rears at about 26.6". Not sure how common those sizes are. I was limited in the size choices. Thats the main huddle.
I have used a Toyo Proxes F4 which was an aggressive all season tire. Reasonable price. This was a few years back on my Fox T Bird.
There are other less main stream tire guys out of Asia like Nexen and Sumitumo. These have a nice look and at good prices.

From what I am seeing they seem to be pretty common sizes. Toyo proxes never thought of those. Man there so many good tire chiices oit there that dont seem to break the bank too badly.

Had a few sets and so far I tend to like the Nitto 555's a lot. Both my buddy Daniel and I had them on our cars but he just switched to Michelin's last summer and he was telling me a few weeks ago that he misses the Nitto's ?? Made by Toyo by the way. I'm not going to brag that they are better than anything else out there but one thing that impresses me is how well they do in the rain, not much hydroplaning whatsoever.

Fun GT;n32318 said:
Had a few sets and so far I tend to like the Nitto 555's a lot. Both my buddy Daniel and I had them on our cars but he just switched to Michelin's last summer and he was telling me a few weeks ago that he misses the Nitto's ?? Made by Toyo by the way. I'm not going to brag that they are better than anything else out there but one thing that impresses me is how well they do in the rain, not much hydroplaning whatsoever.

Yeah I see Nitto's allot with the combo sets. I like a good tire that will last and grip. A good balance as I don't drag race. The rain results you mention are awesome. You never know when you are going to get caught in the rain. I will add them to my short list. Thanks Roger.

Rain performance more factor of speed and thread width than make of tire I would say.
Conservative width of 235 - 245 will always work better then 275 - 285 or 305in rain.

I have to say I've been well served by Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar on the 2006.
Original rubber on 07 to 11ish GT500's. They wear well on the road and the track.
With wider in the rear, I run 2 PSI less than front to minimize wear in center.
Wider tires tend to crown or bulge at speed.

On the 2015, went with Michelin Super Sports. Photos on "What have you done to your Mustang today".
They balanced excellent on Roadforce. Tech said rarely seen tire and wheel combo balance that well.
Very few weights needed to balance.

Back