Maybe 245 or 235 x 35 x 18??

It’s a 4.6 it will never be a track car

Looking for combo - comfort + good handling

Also any advice on brand that won’t break the bank and keep the 2ic happy

Get outta jail cards used on motorcycle

Will 18's fit with drop?
18's will look great if not to close.

275 /35/17's would look good

off set is good looking square set up better handling.

Michelin pilot sport AS4 great tire, not insane price
but last and very good performance I think in $275 range

Whats your tire budget?

Lots of variables in choosing tires.
A whole discussion on its own.
Treadwear, traction and heat rating.
Speed rating and tread pattern.
Section width and sidewall height.

Use the diameter of your OE tire size as a benchmark for the diameter of your new tires.

Then look at different combos of width and sidewall height to get close to that diameter.
It will fill your wheel wells nicely.

With being lowered, if you go too small on overall diameter, it will be very low and may look off.

I’m assuming your car was born with smaller diameter wheels than 18, so going up to 18 is already and improvement because it will give you a shorter sidewall within the same overall diameter.

You can use the Tire Rack sizer for any given tire model to do that.

I think 275 width is a bit wide for 8.5 inch wide rim. It could be at the limit.

That TR sizer will tell you the max. and min. rim widths for a given tire width, and the width that they tried it on or in other words, the best or recommended rim with for any given tire width, which is usually the manufacturer’s recommended width.

Try to keep the sidewall height of the front tires equal or close to the rear, so with your first idea of 275/35 rear, 245/35 in front will have considerable shorter sidewall than the rear. This will look off as well.
Pair a 245/40 in front with a 275/35 rear.
That way both will have similar height sidewalls.

The way tire numbers work is the first number is the width in mm’s, (in your example 275 mm or 27.5 cm) and the second number is the percentage of the width that makes up the height of the sidewall (in your example 35 is 35% of 275 mm which is the height of the sidewall).

You can calculate these parameters to see if front and rear will have similar sidewall height.
35% of 275 is 96.25 mm sidewall.
35% of 245 is 85.75 mm sidewall.
40% of 245 is 98 mm sidewall.

This shows you which front tire size matches best with your rear size for diameter.
And you have to remember that these values are doubled.
Once on the bottom sidewall and again on the top sidewall.
So the 245/35 is more than 2 cm smaller overall diameter than the 275/35 (close to an inch smaller).
But the 245/40 is only 3.5 mm higher overall diameter. With 1.75 mm at top and 1.75 mm at bottom, probably not discernable to naked eye.
But the other one will be.

If you absolutely must have rear one slightly taller than front, try 285/35 (99.75 mm) and 245/40 (98 mm), or some similar combinations, provided they fit your rim widths.

Compared to your OE diameter, maybe the appropriate sizes are 285/40 rear and 245/45 front.
These are just examples for the discussion
You can calculate and figure it out.

As for speed rating and treadwear, they kind of go together.
The lower the treadwear number, like 180, 220, up to 300, the softer the rubber compound, for grip and handling but these wear faster than higher treadwear rating tires.
Higher treadwear tires like 500, 600 or even 700 range have harder compound which wears longer but gives less grip.

The lower treadwear numbers are generally associated to higher speed rating tires like W and Y which are usually summer ultra high or extreme performance tires.
Usually most expensive.

The higher treadwear numbers are generally associated to lower speed rating tires like S or T which are more like all season tires.
Usually more budget friendly.
And a whole bunch in between.

Size is one consideration but
performance goals and budget also factor.

Going on Trevor’s suggestion of Pilot AS4, I went to TR and compared them to Pilot Sport 4S.
They are examples of the information above.
I used the sizes of the 2015 and up PP.
255/40/19 front and 275/40/19 rear.
Both are high speed rated at a Y rating.

The AS4 has a treadwear of 540, pretty high, and described as a ultra-high performance all-season tire.
Think touring sedans or cuv’s like BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac and the like.
The performance here is more a speed component.

The 4S has a treadwear rating of 300,
getting into the stickier range now.
They are described as Max performance summer.
Think bonafide sports cars here.
The performance here includes cornering and stopping as well as the speed element.
They are roughly $40.00 to $50.00 a piece more than the AS4.
Both can handle high speed but what you are paying extra for in the 4S is the extra stickiness. The added handling and braking ability.

But they are not made for driving in temps bellow 7 degrees Celsius.
The rubber on low treadwear tires gets hard and loses traction in cold.
They can freeze solid and they wear faster.

The higher treadwear tires maintain suppleness in cold. That’s why they are rated all-season.
They generally wear longer.

CF1ABDCA-B3DF-4643-9C80-9DA65EADAF27.png

6F1FB73B-6B81-4BCF-8505-4BAE0F7D2704.png

Last edited:
On the TR site, after you have selected a tire model and size, like above, then you click on the tire for more info.

From there you click on specs to get the specs of each tire.

Doing this from the above screens, I checked out the AS4’s closer. See bellow.

Michelin recommends the 255 be mounted on a 9 inch rim but they tell you the range can vary from 8.5 to 10.

For the 275, they recommend a 9.5 inch rim width but the range can vary from 9 to 11.
Note Michelin does not include an 8.5 inch rim as being a safe option for the 275. Reference to previous mention of these numbers above earlier.

509E9A4C-79C3-429F-BD10-446CB7497101.png

Last edited:
Going on Trevor’s suggestion of Pilot AS4, I went to TR and compared them to Pilot Sport 4S.
They are examples of the information above.
I used the sizes of the 2015 and up PP.
255/40/19 front and 275/40/19 rear.
Both are high speed rated at a Y rating.

The AS4 has a treadwear of 540, pretty high, and described as a ultra-high performance all-season tire.
Think touring sedans or cuv’s like BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac and the like.
The performance here is more a speed component.

The 4S has a treadwear rating of 300,
getting into the stickier range now.
They are described as Max performance summer.
Think bonafide sports cars here.
The performance here includes cornering and stopping as well as the speed element.
They are roughly $40.00 to $50.00 a piece more than the AS4.
Both can handle high speed but what you are paying extra for in the 4S is the extra stickiness. The added handling and braking ability.

But they are not made for driving in temps bellow 7 degrees Celsius.
The rubber on low treadwear tires gets hard and loses traction in cold.
They can freeze solid and they wear faster.

The higher treadwear tires maintain suppleness in cold. That’s why they are rated all-season.
They generally wear longer.

View attachment 55761

View attachment 55762
That is USD right ? Do you have them installed down there?

Lol!

I don’t buy from TR, I just exploit their online tools shamelessly to decide what I want.
Then I source in Canada.

I used to buy in US when I had a shipping address just across the border from where I live.
Took advantage of free shipping often.
I lost that access shortly before Covid.
Haven’t bought south of border since, and prospects of buying there in future are not great.

I can check for you next week.

We’re pretty aggressive on tires.
Some would argue we’re partly to blame for Coast Tire going out of business up here.
Our tire guy is back in Tuesday.
If you know what sizes you are looking at, I can enquire and let you know what’s available and pricing.

Can pull up like 3 prospects with your target sizes.
Different performance levels and pricing.
Then you decide.

With supply issues these days, one may have to get what is actually available versus a preferred Make or model.

When I say “We”, I mean the Ford dealership in Grand Falls, Violette Ford.

Front 235x40x18
Rear 275x35 x18

Maybe fire hawk Indy 500’s
Maybe General gmax rs

Whatever else you think

The fire hawk are $975 plus tax
The generals are about $1050

I could do 245’s maybe in front too

Back