Thought of the day.

Yes, the difference being that when we joined, probably 90% of us owned their own car.

In the 90s, 2000’s things changed and it got to the point where some of them were only interested in doing things that would get them on the specialized section they were interested in. So keeping gas tank above 1/2 and leaving same full at end of shift for next shift, and even noticing when the car was making a strange noise, a warning light was on in instrument cluster ect. “was not their job”

I don’t know how many patrol cars I got into in the morning that once I got to the traffic light at the next intersection, I would hear one of the front wheel bearings Howling and would drive the unit straight to the Service Station for repair ??

As it was known that I had the reputation of taking care of these things, I would sometimes return from two weeks leave to find notes attached to the keys of 4 or 5 units advising they were due for service or in need of repair. How Lazy can You be ?

The Icing on the Cake though was 3 months after I had been temporarily reassigned to another Unit in the Distract, one of my Friends sent me a Pic of one of the Patrol Cars at the end of the Detachment Driveway were it met the road with one of the front wheels that had fallen off due to a bad wheel bearing. ?

I must have been pretty noisy before it finally caused the wheel to fall off, but no problem, when the car starts making strange noises, just turn the radio volume up ?

Can you imagine what could have happened if the wheel fell off while responding to an emergency at over 100 MPH ?

Sorry for the Rant, but Heaven help us, this is the Generation that may be taking care of us as we bear the end ?

Come on Fred, there's no better feeling than being called out at 4 am before your shift and seeing '76 kilometers to empty' on the dash display when all the gas station in the area open at 7. It just add another layer of excitement to your day. ?

Never happened cause any time I was on call, I had car that I had used last shift with at least half to 3/4 tank if not full. Some shifts I would get gas 3 times once we went to 2 shift 24 hour coverage cause previous shift always left tank empty, halfway thru shift once talk got to 1/2, then at end of shift to leave full. The Air miles added up ??

Last edited:
Worked this morning, great lunch BBQ burgers, salad, fried potatoes, bacon for burgers.
Now here, little nap and then some more work.

Was thinking of drive, but everyone and their cousins dog is out around,
so good day to stay home I think.

Oh and try and see snow bird around 3pm, not right over house but should be close
I hope, were not far from Shearwater, so should get quick look.

I might not set it up this way,
but love to have this kinda space for cars.

Note if anyone every thinks of doing something like this,
one should seriously consider shop being separate from garage.
If you actually attach something like this to your house, you would need commercail
level insurance for it, so thing 12-15 k a year.
separate about 2k a year for it, with torches etc.

Back