The first Shelby

AC Bill

This was the first Mustang sent by Ford to Carroll Shelby be converted into a Shelby Mustang.
S19.jpg

It was converted into this GT350R prototype race car. The first GT350 featured a number of additional exterior details that distinguished it, including a one-inch thick Monte Carlo bar, a pronounced functional hood scoop, and modified steering. The handling was improved by the 15-inch wheels that were originally fitted with low-angle nylon cord Goodyear tires. The first Shelby was sometimes referred to as a Cobra (Shelby’s race cars were also called Cobras) because many of the badges added to it, featured Shelby’s original Cobra design. The 1965 GT350 was equipped with a 289-CID K-Code engine, which churned out 306 horsepower, a full 35 hp more after Shelby's modifications.

S20.jpg

1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-photo-456329-s-986x603.jpg

Shelby American driver and engineer, Ken Miles, drove the GT350 to its first victory on Valentines Day, 1965, appropriate given how famed Miles’ affection for the GT350 was. The GT350 would hold onto the title of B-Class champion for three years. There were two versions of the GT350, the other being the GT350R. The R stood for race specifications, and only 35 of these were manufactured. Those 35 were created to comply with SCCA rules and were ready to race. The GT350R was bumped up to 360 horsepower.
1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-47-liter-v-8-engine-photo-456338-s-986x603.jpg

The first three hundred 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350's produced came fitted with the battery in the trunk. This was actually an unpopular feature, as fumes would make their way up to the driver. At first, Shelby’s solution was to fit the battery with caps that had hoses that vented fumes out through holes in the bottom of the trunk. Eventually, the battery was simply moved into the engine compartment on the rest..
The original Shelby sold for $4,547, which wasn’t cheap at the time. But it would have been a smart investment since only 513 ’65 Shelby Mustangs were sold.

This was the first Mustang sent by Ford to Carroll Shelby be converted into a Shelby Mustang.
S19.jpg

It was converted into this GT350R prototype race car. The first GT350 featured a number of additional exterior details that distinguished it, including a one-inch thick Monte Carlo bar, a pronounced functional hood scoop, and modified steering. The handling was improved by the 15-inch wheels that were originally fitted with low-angle nylon cord Goodyear tires. The first Shelby was sometimes referred to as a Cobra (Shelby’s race cars were also called Cobras) because many of the badges added to it, featured Shelby’s original Cobra design. The 1965 GT350 was equipped with a 289-CID K-Code engine, which churned out 306 horsepower, a full 35 hp more after Shelby's modifications.

S20.jpg

1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-photo-456329-s-986x603.jpg

Shelby American driver and engineer, Ken Miles, drove the GT350 to its first victory on Valentines Day, 1965, appropriate given how famed Miles’ affection for the GT350 was. The GT350 would hold onto the title of B-Class champion for three years. There were two versions of the GT350, the other being the GT350R. The R stood for race specifications, and only 35 of these were manufactured. Those 35 were created to comply with SCCA rules and were ready to race. The GT350R was bumped up to 360 horsepower.
1965-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-47-liter-v-8-engine-photo-456338-s-986x603.jpg

The first three hundred 1965 Shelby Mustang GT350's produced came fitted with the battery in the trunk. This was actually an unpopular feature, as fumes would make their way up to the driver. At first, Shelby’s solution was to fit the battery with caps that had hoses that vented fumes out through holes in the bottom of the trunk. Eventually, the battery was simply moved into the engine compartment on the rest..
The original Shelby sold for $4,547, which wasn’t cheap at the time. But it would have been a smart investment since only 513 ’65 Shelby Mustangs were sold.
Great article , there was actually 37 R's built.
why ford built on 37 GT 350 R's in 2015

I wonder how the GT350R build numbers became skewed? Could it be that the first two Shelby team prototype cars were not originally tagged with the added R? Was this designation added later by marketers, to entice/value add, to the team cars?

I see one site claiming to be the 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang Ultimate Guide that has these numbers listed.

1965 Shelby Mustang Production Numbers​

Street prototype1
Street production models504
Competition prototypes2
Competition models (R)34
Drag cars4
Other prototypes17
Total562

This other site has listed only 34 R models a well.​

Last edited:
I wonder how the GT350R build numbers became skewed? Could it be that the first two Shelby team prototype cars were not originally tagged with the added R? Was this designation added later by marketers, to entice/value add, to the team cars?

I see one site claiming to be the 1965 Shelby GT350 Mustang Ultimate Guide that has these numbers listed.

1965 Shelby Mustang Production Numbers​

Street prototype1
Street production models504
Competition prototypes2
Competition models (R)34
Drag cars4
Other prototypes17
Total562

This other site has listed only 34 R models a well.​

I have no idea, but I have learned over the years, that production numbers a skewed way more than most folks know.
Like PP ) pilot prodction cars) are never to be sold, but 90% end up in someones hands,

To be honest I don't remember all the details, just how big of a deal it was in 2014/2015 when details started to come out
on the new GT350 and GT350R and they matched the production number with 2015 ( 50 years on purpose even though
some cars were delivered late, even after 2016 cars in some cases.

I do know based on Shelby info, ever GT350R was raced, most had seen lots of repairs.
I beleive only 1 pr 2 can truly say they are 100% original.

But like most things, with Shelby god knows, I mean he once sold the same car 3 times
even had it painted to fool people, he didn't have the cars and needed the money LOL
PS they all got a car, eventually :)

Back