Road to buidling a 1990 Foxbody LX

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
I have wanted one of these for a long time. Not really having the time, money or place.
Wasn't looking hard. I also wanted one that was in good enough shape to Build,
but not good enough you shouldn't touch it. I believe this is it.

thanks to Aaron, he found this car on the Island and sent me the info. Few messages and phone calls later,
I have my project. Weather was great so a quick trip over to get car and here it his.

IMG_5506.JPGIMG_5507.JPGIMG_5508.JPGIMG_5509.JPG

Thanks Trevor! Brinks were just at the door dropping off the finders fee! You really shouldn't have we do this for fun and friends. I won't spend it all in one place. A newspaper and 2 medium coffees & Dunkin' Donuts will take care of it!

Was happy to help after sending 4-5 teasers over the winter, this one looked like it! Excited to see the stages as this build gets rolling!

Thanks Trevor! Brinks were just at the door dropping off the finders fee! You really shouldn't have we do this for fun and friends. I won't spend it all in one place. A newspaper and 2 medium coffees & Dunkin' Donuts will take care of it!

Was happy to help after sending 4-5 teasers over the winter, this one looked like it! Excited to see the stages as this build gets rolling!
Timing was a little better, this is actually a car that needs work, not crazy but needs a going over.
So building it makes sense. many are almost to nice to change.

ok, so short story.

Originally car was being sold with engine that is toast.
But had built engine sitting on garage floor with 5k on it ready to go.
Package deal. I really wasn't interested in engine, even though likely good price.

At first he would not separate and I was going to let it go.
Couple days later, I seen he had changed his mind.
So I contacted again and deal was done very quickly.

So short of it is, engine is no good, I have a roller.
Because of that, I have no idea of transmission, rear-end or drivetrain is any good.
For what I want, not that important. I believe it was a good price for roller
with decent body and frame.

I have found two rust holes in floor / corner of frame, not a hard fix.
body has several dings and you can see when painted a few cheats.
Again nothing serious.

Last edited:
My build plan is likely 2-3 years based on costs and amount of work.
So engine at this point was not a big concern or drive train for that matter.

Being honest, the biggest struggle I am having is just how far do I go, LOL.
Mild to wild. The wilder it gets the more it costs, the longer it takes.
I plan to do as much as I can myself, get a bit of help here and there.
Source out what I have to.

Nice Car Trevor ?

Have Fun building your car ?

I would start with a N/A 347 Stroker, Tremec 6 Speed, 8.8 inch Rear end with 3:73 gears, upgraded brakes and suspension.

Looking forward to following this build ?
that sounds about right Fred, so you just spent about $25000 and no paint, wheels, tires etc. lol
Also could be 45k depending on engine and suspension :)

It is going to be an awesome Fox Body, Notch back 5.0, top shelf IMHO, I have seen Nice, complete Drivers for 10 to 15 Grand, depending On how little you paid for the roller, with a conservative 5.0, 5 speed and not going overboard you’re still going to spend at least another 15,20 grand on the build, so build what you want and enjoy ?

1582473456047.png
One 5.2L is good......two is better. lol All you need now is $22599US + taxes.

" Ford Performance has taken the technology and hardware developed for the Shelby GT350 Mustang and has created the ultimate naturally aspirated, 5.2L cross-plane crankshaft crate engine. With a rating of 580 horsepower at 7,800 rpm, the new Aluminator 5.2 XS is the most powerful naturally aspirated modular crate engine ever built by Ford Performance. This is the worthy successor of our previous rendition-the "A50XS". Every Aluminator is hand assembled by the same technicians that build the Mustang Cobra Jet drag racing engines. Premium aftermarket components are used to ensure durability like; unique Manley® connecting rods, ARP® rod bolts, Mahle® forged pistons, forged steel crankshaft sprocket, and billet oil pump gears. Unique components developed specifically for the Cobra Jet racing program are used including Cobra Jet short runner-high RPM intake manifold, 1517 CFM dual 65mm Cobra Jet throttle body, and high RPM pulse ring. Ford Performance Engineers developed a balanced combination of high end, 580 horsepower and strong mid-range torque with the Cobra Jet intake manifold, unique camshafts and fully CNC ported GT350 cylinder heads. "

View attachment 36469
One 5.2L is good......two is better. lol All you need now is $22599US + taxes.

" Ford Performance has taken the technology and hardware developed for the Shelby GT350 Mustang and has created the ultimate naturally aspirated, 5.2L cross-plane crankshaft crate engine. With a rating of 580 horsepower at 7,800 rpm, the new Aluminator 5.2 XS is the most powerful naturally aspirated modular crate engine ever built by Ford Performance. This is the worthy successor of our previous rendition-the "A50XS". Every Aluminator is hand assembled by the same technicians that build the Mustang Cobra Jet drag racing engines. Premium aftermarket components are used to ensure durability like; unique Manley® connecting rods, ARP® rod bolts, Mahle® forged pistons, forged steel crankshaft sprocket, and billet oil pump gears. Unique components developed specifically for the Cobra Jet racing program are used including Cobra Jet short runner-high RPM intake manifold, 1517 CFM dual 65mm Cobra Jet throttle body, and high RPM pulse ring. Ford Performance Engineers developed a balanced combination of high end, 580 horsepower and strong mid-range torque with the Cobra Jet intake manifold, unique camshafts and fully CNC ported GT350 cylinder heads. "
With this engine and mated transmission, clutch and rear end, I would be upwards of 35 k,
nice but tad bit pricey lol. like to keep the build under 50k lol.
I guess regardless of what I build, never be able to sell it.

Back