NHL 2022 / 2023 season

One for conspiracy theorists.
I wonder myself.

I wonder if there is any back door interference or on the quiet collusion between Bettman and the Canadiens hockey team?

It’s mow known that back when the Nordics were the Nordics, Montreal controlled all the TV rights with Radio Canada and CBC for broadcasting in the province of Quebec, and that this deprived the Nordics of fair TV coverage and revenue generated by it.

How do we know the Montreal empire is still mot doing that today behind the scenes, to prevent a franchise returning to Quebec city?

They are an original 6 team and probably the best known worldwide.
I’m sure their desires, secret or otherwise, still carry a lot of weight with the league.

Who knows…? 🤔

One for conspiracy theorists.
I wonder myself.

I wonder if there is any back door interference or on the quiet collusion between Bettman and the Canadiens hockey team?

It’s mow known that back when the Nordics were the Nordics, Montreal controlled all the TV rights with Radio Canada and CBC for broadcasting in the province of Quebec, and that this deprived the Nordics of fair TV coverage and revenue generated by it.

How do we know the Montreal empire is still mot doing that today behind the scenes, to prevent a franchise returning to Quebec city?

They are an original 6 team and probably the best known worldwide.
I’m sure their desires, secret or otherwise, still carry a lot of weight with the league.

Who knows…? 🤔
Most Definitely the Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators do not want a Team in Quebec that could draw their Fans.

As much as stubborn Canadian hockey fans may not want to admit it, the NHL is not a Canadian league. The percentage of Canadian players in the NHL has dropped in recent years, and with 35 million people, the Canadian market is relatively small. Sure, Canadians are crazy hockey nuts with unquestioned passion for the sport, but in terms of dollars and cents, we are a tiny market (not to mention our dollar is weak).

Quebec City will never see an NHL franchise. The NHL has simply grown too big for that "little" city. Yeah, they have a rink, yeah, they have a crazy fanbase, and yeah, they have a name and marketing campaign all ready to go... "Vive les Nordiques!" But they lack a deep-pocketed owner, population, and most importantly, a TV market (the NHL doesn't win/grow if the Habs have to give up market share).

There is no question that the barn would be packed every night in Quebec City, but it takes more than bums in seats to float a nearly $100m payroll. The money is in TV deals, online gambling, and merchandise (all target marketing revenue). The NHL (like most corporations) wants to grow, but by putting a team in Quebec City, it is not growing, it is just cannibalizing itself by splitting the Montreal Canadiens' market share.

You'll see a team in Mexico City before Quebec City.

The only real reason why Winnipeg worked is that (at the time) there were no other options for the NHL to go (and it's far enough from Alberta and Toronto markets to gain at least some share of the pie). This time around, Arizona has Houston, Salt Lake City, and perhaps Kansas City to go to (all new western-area markets with no NHL market to split). However, it is looking very good that Salt Lake City will be the destination as the owner of the NBA team wants to buy an NHL club and has an arena all ready to go.

Bettman's job is to make the billionaire owners and millionaire players more money. He has done an impeccable job at doing that. And while many fans bitch and complain about him, they still show up in rinks paying $200 a ticket and glue their eyes to the tubes every other night supporting his cause. So until that stops, Bettman continues to be the crown jewel of the American-owned "NHL billionaires club" crown. To get an NHL team, Quebec City is about as far away from the NHL as Moncton.

Jason I agree with most, but not all, surprized ? 😁

We are still 65% of the NHL and likely will stay above 50% for many years to come.
Considering our population and the fact they can draw from the world, still impressive.
Also teams who have won the cup in the last 20 years have the highest % of Canadians on their team.

Quebec getting a franchise, your dead right, unless they decide to expand to 40 teams and odds are
Europe would get one first, quebec has owners np, but not enough corperate sponsors and not enough TV
as far as Winnipeg goes, they better keep the place full, regardless of how they play
because if they ever leave again it will be for last time.

Also to our detriment, Bettman doesn't have to do a thing for us, we will watch till the end,
we buy stuff from our teams, we bitch about high prices but still buy tickets lol.
we are our own worst enemies lol.

To many big TV markets and lots of billionaires that want toys in US.
Houston, KC, Utah, Atlanta again, plus a few others.

I am curious what Betman does with his pet project now??
Arizona, the wheels have fallen off, rolled into the desert, likely to never be seen again.
How does he fix this?? Even his billionair owner buddies, can't be happy about what this is costing them.:ROFLMAO:

I think the only option they have left now is for the Phoenix Suns owner (NBA team) to buy the team and buddy the Coyotes up with the Suns in their arena. However, who would want to buy a team with no talent and no stars on the horizon in a market where clearly nobody cares about them? Had they won the Bedard lottery, it may have changed the circumstances of this situation.

Rumors are pretty heavy that this team ends up in Salt Lake City in 2024. The owner of the NBA team there wants an NHL team and they have an arena all ready to go. Salt Lake City is a winter town with a hockey history (2002 Olympics anyone?).

I think the only option they have left now is for the Phoenix Suns owner (NBA team) to buy the team and buddy the Coyotes up with the Suns in their arena. However, who would want to buy a team with no talent and no stars on the horizon in a market where clearly nobody cares about them? Had they won the Bedard lottery, it may have changed the circumstances of this situation.

Rumors are pretty heavy that this team ends up in Salt Lake City in 2024. The owner of the NBA team there wants an NHL team and they have an arena all ready to go. Salt Lake City is a winter town with a hockey history (2002 Olympics anyone?).
KC is in same boat, I disagree with the talent. they have shit loads of pics and prospects and more important money
Put them in the right spot and they could be Vegas or Kraken in couple of years.
right destination in lower taxed souther / western US climate they will have NP attracting
talent. Most of all they have trade and draft capital most teams would dream to have.

They sure do have a lot of picks, which is a great foundation, and with the right management, it could be a great start for a team somewhere. I'm sure Bettman wanted Bedard to end up on that team. Bedard would have been the right player to save that franchise (much like how Crosby saved the Penguins).

They sure do have a lot of picks, which is a great foundation, and with the right management, it could be a great start for a team somewhere. I'm sure Bettman wanted Bedard to end up on that team. Bedard would have been the right player to save that franchise (much like how Crosby saved the Penguins).
yes but in Chicago and it needs to be a quick build, big TV market
original 6 I am sure Betman is happy, would have killed him
if he landed in Canada.

I wish he had landed in east, we don't watch many western games
and he only comes this way couple times of year, Like McDavid,
hard to see him play and or insane money to do so.

Didn’t someone post on here earlier that Canada was mo longer the dominant country supplying players the the NHL?
Losing ground to Europeans and Americans?
Maybe those countries are producing more players than before, but I think Canada is still a dominant player.

6A057C00-BD4D-4A66-A4D6-3439C6D2AAA7.jpeg

Back