Mustangs & Family...what's your story?

Not much of a story, I went to Ford with F150's in 2000, after being a lifetime Chevy guy. I really liked the S197 design, and originally wanted to get a GT500, but the stupid frenzy and dealer markup for the 2006's really turned me off. I was in for an oil change in Feb 2006 and sat in an S197 convertible on the showroom floor while I was waiting, and before the day was over, my order for a 2006 GT convertible was in. Delivery at the end of March.

Drove it for five years and then with changing priorities and not really driving it anymore , I sold it in May 2011. I had a 2011 Raptor, so that blended my interest in performance with my satisfaction with the F150. I sunk a small fortune into mods on that '06 GT, I'd be lucky to recover what I spent in mods when I sold it. Five years old and barely 25000km, it was a smoking good deal for the guy that bought it.

Fast forward to 2016, and I I start to look at this new Mustang called the GT350, looks like you're getting every bit of performance for the price paid. I now have a 2014 Raptor from the same SVT dealer in Kitchener, so I have a bit of a base relationship. I put the feelers out to see about the GT350, turns out I can get one, and the price is bearable. Here it is, my opportunity to have more car than I ever imagined and mark off a few milestones....you only turn 50 once right ? Everything is there right out of the box, no need to modify anything, other than maybe resonator delete.

Thats it. Not much of a story, but my son enjoys the car almost as much as I do, and thats worth every penny.

And I'm driving it so much more than the '06 GT, four years old and I'm at 30000 km, again, worth every cent.

Those who know me often question if there is blood or oil flowing in my veins and then some debate the colour ( some say just oil, some red, some say Cat Yellow)as cars and trucks have been a way of life as long as I can remember. Seems I came home from the hospital in a 1960 Pontiac convertible ( triple black). Cars moved through the yard fast at home, Dad ran a garage and seems his vehicles seldom lasting a year before sold or traded. A 1967 Cougar 289 was among the collection 1 year, and a 1972 F250 that stayed a long time! It’s easy to date pictures just looking at the combination of vehicles In the yard. My first powered vehicle I built was a 1966 bug that I shortened 14” and turned into a woods buggy at 13. I bought 2 Mazda 808 coupes ( looks like a RX-3 but a piston engine) and the engine from a larger wagon to have a car on the road for 16. My early Mustang stories are keeping them on the road for others, a 1966 6 cyl coupe that needed brakes and suspension and a few 26oz abuse repairs , a late night/early morning Mustang II 302 clutch job in a driveway so someone could get to work.
For me transportation was the goal through most of time as food, housing, family and kids need to come first. A combination of GM’s, Toyota’s, Datsun‘s and a couple of Fords filled in the next 30 years, When the kids were gone out of the house possibilities became realities. I was looking for a 1967-68 fastback to restomod but as I started adding up the costs ,money and time ,that idea started to fade. When the 2005 came out it resembled the early Mustangs I remembered ( everyone has their favourites no harm intended) . Jackie organized a couple of surprise rentals , an vacation Arizona rental and now the hook was set but the price of admission in 2005 was still too high. I had decided in late 07 to start looking, 05-06 GT convertible 5 speed became the Kijiji search, but with no hits. I even looked at the new Camaro - tried a rental SS when the USA on Work , also tried a rental Challenger , came back to the Mustang quickly . I kept trying every few weeks - a few in Quebec and eastern USA into early 2008 but nothing I had to go see. I had all but given up when in October of 2008 the search turned up a result - IN Halifax and close to the money range. Why did I choose a Black and tan car ? Well it was colour choice by Kijiji! As you know after a few trips to the dealer it came home in October 2008 Just in time to go in the garage for winter. That was a long winter! It’s been through a few changes along the road and about 225,000 k but I’m looking at adding some more seat time as soon as Mother Nature cooperates .

1E877A34-9391-4BE0-B7A9-CD0EF69E7786.jpeg

Last edited:
Not much of a story, I went to Ford with F150's in 2000, after being a lifetime Chevy guy. I really liked the S197 design, and originally wanted to get a GT500, but the stupid frenzy and dealer markup for the 2006's really turned me off. I was in for an oil change in Feb 2006 and sat in an S197 convertible on the showroom floor while I was waiting, and before the day was over, my order for a 2006 GT convertible was in. Delivery at the end of March.

Drove it for five years and then with changing priorities and not really driving it anymore , I sold it in May 2011. I had a 2011 Raptor, so that blended my interest in performance with my satisfaction with the F150. I sunk a small fortune into mods on that '06 GT, I'd be lucky to recover what I spent in mods when I sold it. Five years old and barely 25000km, it was a smoking good deal for the guy that bought it.

Fast forward to 2016, and I I start to look at this new Mustang called the GT350, looks like you're getting every bit of performance for the price paid. I now have a 2014 Raptor from the same SVT dealer in Kitchener, so I have a bit of a base relationship. I put the feelers out to see about the GT350, turns out I can get one, and the price is bearable. Here it is, my opportunity to have more car than I ever imagined and mark off a few milestones....you only turn 50 once right ? Everything is there right out of the box, no need to modify anything, other than maybe resonator delete.

Thats it. Not much of a story, but my son enjoys the car almost as much as I do, and thats worth every penny.

And I'm driving it so much more than the '06 GT, four years old and I'm at 30000 km, again, worth every cent.
Great Story...tks for sharing it!!

Those who know me often question if there is blood or oil flowing in my veins and then some debate the colour as cars and trucks have been a way of life as long as I can remember. Seems I came home from the hospital in a1960 Pontiac convertible ( triple black). cars moved through the yard fast at home, seldom lasting a year before sold or traded. It’s easy to date pictures just looking at the combination of vehicles. My first powered vehicle was a 1966 bug that got shortened 14” and turned into a woods buggy at 13. I bought 2 Mazda 808 coupes and the engine from a larger wagon to have a car on the road for 16. My early Mustang stories are keeping them on the road for others, a 1966 6 cyl coupe that needed brakes and suspension, a late night/ early morning Mustang II 302 clutch job in a driveway so someone could get to work.
For me transportation was the goal through most of time as food, housing, family and kids need to come first. When the kids were gone out of the house possibilities became realities. I was looking for a 1967-68 to restored but as I stared adding up the costs , money and time that idea started to fade When the 2005 came out it resembled the early Mustangs I remembered ( everyone has their favourites no harm intended) . Jackie organized a couple of surprise rentals , an Arizona rental and now the hook is set but the price of admission was still too high. I had decided in late 07 to start looking, 05-06 GT convertible 5 speed became the Kijiji search, but with no hits. I kept trying every few weeks - a few in Quebec and eastern USA into early 2008 but nothing I had to go see. I had all but given up when in October of 2008 the search turned up a result - IN Halifax and close to the money range. Why a Black and tan car ? Well it was colour choice by Kijiji! As you know after a few trips it came home in October 2008 Just in time to go in the garage for winter. That was a long winter! It’s been through a few changes along the road but I’m looking at adding some more seat time as soon as Mother Nature cooperates .

View attachment 36216
Great one, Gerry!

Nobody confessing that they may have been conceived in the back of a Stang yet!!!

Well my story started when I bought my first car in 1991, a 1982 Dodge charger...fwd. I only paid $1500 for it but ended up putting in a few more $$$$ after. It was a 2.2 4 speeds and not powerful. A few years after while doing the up and down in Tracadie, I saw my cousin with his 1989 bugundy mustang GT and asked me if I want to see how that thing goes. Back then I never really had a drive in a powerful car, my dad had a 1975 mercury Montego with a 351m400 but that thing was a big boat on the road...so anyway I got in the mustang and I got sucked right in the seat, he then said try it. Well it took me a few attempts as the clutch was very different then my 4cyl... This is when I got the Mustang fever. I saved up my money later and bought a brand new 1994 ford ranger, my choice would've been a mustang but that was the end of the fox body and I didn't really care for the new model.I kept the truck for a 1and1/2 year and sold it. I then bought my first mustang. A1987 GT for $5000...this thing was beat up but still had plenty of live for me. Then sold that one bought another 1987 GT and a 4 cyl one for winter beater, 1986 GT, 1989 SSP and my last one 2014 GT. I love my mustang and got my kids to follow me in car shows when they were younger. My son still follow me and loved it, he's now 15 not sure how long he's gonna follow but he's getting his permit this summer...so he probably will in case the old man let him drive the Mustang...lolFB_IMG_1580770798208.jpgFB_IMG_1580770806478.jpgFB_IMG_1580770814261.jpgFB_IMG_1580770825004.jpgFB_IMG_1580770839941.jpgFB_IMG_1580770852623.jpgFB_IMG_1580770876820.jpg

I like to say my love affair with the Mustang is all Gerry B's Fault. Sometime in either late 2013 or early 2014 he called me and sad that the person who was going to go with him to Mustangs Across America from California to Charlotte couldn't make it and would I like to go? I don't think he had actually finished his sentence when I said yes and when do we leave. I had so much fun on that trip that when I got back I started to look around for my own convertible which I found late in the year at a local Dodge dealership. She Who Must be Obeyed handled the negotiations and i Came home with this one AAC87A39-3369-4D09-9D30-31D443A8B2BA.jpegAAC87A39-3369-4D09-9D30-31D443A8B2BA.jpeg

Back