Mustang Trivia.

Question Marc. With HP rating set for 93 Octane, what are we supposed to do in NB with 91 Octane?

We run 91 and don’t quite get the max advertised power.
But the penalty is not enormous.
What we are missing is only the difference between 91 and 93, not 87 and 93.
Likely 5 or less hp.
The difference between real good 91 and average 93 is in neighbourhood of 2 hp.
So largest gap would be between bad 91 and real good 93.
That could be close to 5.

I believe you are correct.

The teksid 4.6 V8 in the SVT was alumium in 1996, I was confused by the following google search:

GOOGLE "All 4.6 L 4-valve engines featured aluminum engine blocks with 6-bolt main bearing caps, the only exception being the 2003–2004 SVT Cobra which had a 4-bolt main cast iron block. The 1999 and earlier engines featured an aluminum block cast in Italy by Fiat subsidiary Teksid "
"The modular engine's aluminum block was cast in Italy by Teksid, a firm that produces parts for Ferrari and Formula One racers.[1]:3"

As far as I could tell there were other lesser variants that used Aluminium.

This about ford in general and not specific to the Mustang:

GOOGLE "The 4,601 cc (4.6 L; 280.8 cu in) displacement[4] 90-degree V8 has been offered in 2-valve SOHC, 3-valve SOHC, and 4-valve DOHC versions. The engines were also offered with both aluminum and cast iron blocks, depending on application."

The next time I will only ask questions I know the answer to before I ask. I guess I better do some more research. The fun of this post is finding out new information. If any one would like to weigh in here please do so.

You're next, ask away.

Back