local cruising places.

Ohtobbad

Administrator
Staff member
Every spring we get our cars out, clean them and go for runs, often with wife, by yourself or with one or two other cars.
Your favorite roads and places, go to spots. We look forward to car shows, runs and events to meet up with
other likely minded car folks, even meeting at tims.

Covid has changed much of this for the past year and foreseeable future, hopefully soon we can get together again.
Staying in touch on the forums helps alot and when we can doing little local runs where we can.
Photo contests have shown me some really cool photos but also some really cool places.

So this thread is for that, share your favourite mini runs / places and maybe a little history.
For many of us, we never see that road or place so a cool picture with little write up
could be fun and great to see and learn a little about this great country. So as you get out, stop for a photo and share,
Better to be on that road with you, but for now we can share our favourite runs and places :)

3C198989-6C32-47EA-926D-6CB596EFDDB2.jpeg
I took this picture last summer on an early Sunday morning run last year on the Eastern shore.
This is Head of Jeddore a massive harbour leading to Atlantic Ocean, calm quiet day,
gives you a rare glass look of salt water, nice road to for drive 85% by the water.

Great idea Trevor.

Here is one I have shared on here before from last year. A cool shot of one of the many stops on the Fundy trail that leaves Sussex and heads towards Alma on the shore. It is not trough to Alma yet but still a nice drive thy everyone should try and check out once. I might be guilty of doing it 3 times last year. Lol.

99F4B416-4BF8-417C-AEDC-B322E4E75CC7.jpeg

Great idea Trevor.

Here is one I have shared on here before from last year. A cool shot of one of the many stops on the Fundy trail that leaves Sussex and heads towards Alma on the shore. It is not trough to Alma yet but still a nice drive thy everyone should try and check out once. I might be guilty of doing it 3 times last year. Lol.

View attachment 45421
I think I remember this place, few years ago were looking for run and beleive this is where you lead us, great drive, incredible views.

For a scenic, winding and relatively fast day drive with elevation changes, my default run is shooting up hwy 17 to Campbellton where a stop for ice cream is possible at DQ.

Then photo opp on shore of Restigouche river and beautiful Baie des Chaleurs with Gaspe peninsula in background.

Then drive along the coast on hwy 134 to Charlo via Dalhousie.
More photo opps there.
Return to Campbellton on hwy 11 catching a view of distinctive Sugarloaf mountain on the way by.
Picking up hwy 17 again for return drive home on the edge of the Appalachians, through hilly, winding and forested provincial arterial hwy.

The following pics were taken last summer at the mouth of the Restigouche river where it dumps into the Baie des chaleurs.

First one, not posted before, shows Gaspe coast of Quebec in background.

8D2645A0-86DE-419D-A587-C457CD58CC65.jpeg

Second one I used in our last photo contest shows the north shore of NB heading east toward Dalhousie from Campbellton.

61496C13-A8E7-4978-9D30-F8C018CE6C8E.jpeg

I think I remember this place, few years ago were looking for run and beleive this is where you lead us, great drive, incredible views.
Trevor, same general area however this run was not open yet. Follows the coast most of the way. We cut trough the park when we went with the group after the Taylor show Definitely a must do down the road with a group!!

My backyard, we did the Dalhousie and Campbellton part of Marc's run Trevor during the Fall Cruise to the Gaspé Coast, good memories there....

Can't wait for all this to be over so we can again resume our Fall Runs, or any run for a matter of fact........... getting cabin fever !! lol

Grab a coffee. Based on heading down from Windsor to Yarmouth here are some things from my travels.

There may be other people online who know more about specific areas of the Annapolis Valley down to Yarmouth and have other preferences, but here are some things I will note. There are a lot of places off the beaten path worthy of visiting if around for more than a day but will keep it general. I have many pics of those in my profile history and if anyone is coming down this way I will offer more info if I can. Just this route can be a thread. I will post smaller size images for this one and look for ones not previously used. Some may be slightly edited. Also used Google Street view links to jump to if desired. I did not include a map as the street view takes you there and you can decide on the 101 main highway or the old No 1.

After Windsor, where my fall contest winner was taken in St Croix (I got lucky in that one), I tend to turn off onto the route No 1 at Wolfville unless in a hurry or late at night. It runs parallel to the main 101 highway all the way with a bit of an overlap so easy to jump back over if needed. Overall the No 1 is in good shape all the way down. Windsor to Yarmouth on the old road without any stops is about 4.5 hours EcoBoost time (GT may be faster of course). Depending on how old you are (rest room stops), Tim’s breaks and such, add time as needed for the pit stops and photo ops.

Wolfville – New Minas
The Valley Look Off 15 minutes from Wolfville past Canning. Awesome place for a shot.

LookOff1000.jpg

For eating in the area my food choice is Paddy’s Pub Wolfville
Always been good grub with local beers. If busy during the student frenzy the second Paddy’s location is Main Street Kentville .

Greenwood aviation museum has a bunch of planes and choppers outside for good shots. Street view stops short but I have some pics like this one.

GreenWood1000.JPG

Annapolis Royal is a nice place to spend a bit of time. Artistic place. Saturday farm markets down town,
Fort Anne, and North Americas first tidal generating station (no longer producing power – something about chopping up the fish as they passed through) and a huge historical garden in town if your into flower stuff.

FortAnne1000.jpg

If not into flowery stuff, outside the town there is a photo shoot spot I like, but also my go to place for “Still Fired” Apple Pie Moonshine which has helped me tremendously during Covid and the HABS losses.

StillFired1000.jpg

Traveling down to Digby the 101 and No 1 highway’s merge. Digby has many good food places being a tourist hot spot. My favorite is the Shore Line Restaurant but there are many other food options when things are in full swing.

Digby1000.JPG

Now we start to enter the scenic French Shore part of the route. 25 minutes past Digby the road branches into the split routes again past the Weymouth bridge and the No 1 is by far the best way to go. The route has many historic churches, University Sainte Anne, Mavillette Beach (Cape Saint Mary’s) lighthouse.

CapeLightHouse1000.JPG

Once you get down to Yarmouth the town has many food places, hotels and such. My favorite to eat is Rudder’s on the waterfront. If you are anywhere in the area a drive out to Cape Forchu must be on your list. 20 minutes out of town but awesome area.

Forchu1000.JPG

Bonus pics. WedgePort which has the Tuna Museum, just past Yarmouth (last KM is dirt road) has a rocky beach trail but you feel like you are at the end of the earth there.

WedgeportWater1000.JPG

Happy travels!

WedgeportBubbleView1000.jpg

There you go. The short version.

Grab a coffee. Based on heading down from Windsor to Yarmouth here are some things from my travels.

There may be other people online who know more about specific areas of the Annapolis Valley down to Yarmouth and have other preferences, but here are some things I will note. There are a lot of places off the beaten path worthy of visiting if around for more than a day but will keep it general. I have many pics of those in my profile history and if anyone is coming down this way I will offer more info if I can. Just this route can be a thread. I will post smaller size images for this one and look for ones not previously used. Some may be slightly edited. Also used Google Street view links to jump to if desired. I did not include a map as the street view takes you there and you can decide on the 101 main highway or the old No 1.

After Windsor, where my fall contest winner was taken in St Croix (I got lucky in that one), I tend to turn off onto the route No 1 at Wolfville unless in a hurry or late at night. It runs parallel to the main 101 highway all the way with a bit of an overlap so easy to jump back over if needed. Overall the No 1 is in good shape all the way down. Windsor to Yarmouth on the old road without any stops is about 4.5 hours EcoBoost time (GT may be faster of course). Depending on how old you are (rest room stops), Tim’s breaks and such, add time as needed for the pit stops and photo ops.

Wolfville – New Minas
The Valley Look Off 15 minutes from Wolfville past Canning. Awesome place for a shot.

View attachment 45646

For eating in the area my food choice is Paddy’s Pub Wolfville
Always been good grub with local beers. If busy during the student frenzy the second Paddy’s location is Main Street Kentville .

Greenwood aviation museum has a bunch of planes and choppers outside for good shots. Street view stops short but I have some pics like this one.

View attachment 45647

Annapolis Royal is a nice place to spend a bit of time. Artistic place. Saturday farm markets down town,
Fort Anne, and North Americas first tidal generating station (no longer producing power – something about chopping up the fish as they passed through) and a huge historical garden in town if your into flower stuff.

View attachment 45648

If not into flowery stuff, outside the town there is a photo shoot spot I like, but also my go to place for “Still Fired” Apple Pie Moonshine which has helped me tremendously during Covid and the HABS losses.

View attachment 45649

Traveling down to Digby the 101 and No 1 highway’s merge. Digby has many good food places being a tourist hot spot. My favorite is the Shore Line Restaurant but there are many other food options when things are in full swing.

View attachment 45650

Now we start to enter the scenic French Shore part of the route. 25 minutes past Digby the road branches into the split routes again past the Weymouth bridge and the No 1 is by far the best way to go. The route has many historic churches, University Sainte Anne, Mavillette Beach (Cape Saint Mary’s) lighthouse.

View attachment 45651

Once you get down to Yarmouth the town has many food places, hotels and such. My favorite to eat is Rudder’s on the waterfront. If you are anywhere in the area a drive out to Cape Forchu must be on your list. 20 minutes out of town but awesome area.

View attachment 45652

Bonus pics. WedgePort which has the Tuna Museum, just past Yarmouth (last KM is dirt road) has a rocky beach trail but you feel like you are at the end of the earth there.

View attachment 45654

Happy travels!

View attachment 45653

There you go. The short version.
I have the last week of July booked to travel from Digby to Yarmouth then to Carter's beach and possibly take the #8 back or drive to Halifax and back home through Truro, Sackville and Amherst..just hope the bubble opens up

Nice write up and pics. ?

My daughter attended Universite Ste-Anne in Church point, so I did that drive from Weymouth to Yarmouth several times when taking her over in September.
Had supper at the restaurant at Mavillette beach several times.

Stayed at the Captain’s Inn in Meteghan a few times.
Right across the street from water with great sunsets from the front porch or public bench other side of street.

Fried fish or Ice cream take outs across the street as well within a couple hundred feet.

It is a beautiful drive.
Twisty and up and down.
Not fast though.
Definitely not Mexico.

Residential and business with traffic coming from wharfs and beaches with pedestrians, tourists and such.
One must be respectful, patient and soak it all in.

Last edited:
I have the last week of July booked to travel from Digby to Yarmouth then to Carter's beach and possibly take the #8 back or drive to Halifax and back home through Truro, Sackville and Amherst..just hope the bubble opens up
Same here for the bubble. 23 July heading to PEI for 4 days if all is clear. Will be back for the rest of the week on Tuesday. They should offer vaccine shots in the Tim Horton's drive thru to help us reach the goal. Seems to take 15 minutes with the long lineup so the wait period is there. Double Double with a single shot of arm juice to go please.

Expanding on the previous post for Western NS.

Here are some other local spots seeing how it looks like we may see some away traffic this summer. Again I will post smaller images for easy viewing.

Starting with the No 8 highway from Liverpool to Annapolis or Digby.

Milton is at the start of the run. Has a nice man made falls with a cool spot after crossing the bridge. Note there is a big rock in the parking area to watch for.

Milton1000.JPG

Further up is a nice area I want to get back to soon when there is more/some/any water. Last year was quite dry but here are two pics.

Greenfield – Bangs Falls about 20 minutes out of Liverpool. Bangs falls is 2 minutes down from the street view link on either side of the river. Awesome location river kayaker's use frequently when flowing.

Greenfield

Greenfield1000.JPG

Bangs Falls

BangsFalls1000.jpg

As you go along there is a small Provincial park area. Cameron’s Brook Park

CameronPark1000.JPG

Other areas heading from Digby to Yarmouth

Savory Park 15 minutes from Digby is a small Provincial park.

SavoryPark1000.JPG

Belliveau’s Cove shortly after turning onto the old No 1 road past Weymouth.

BelliveausCove1000.JPG

Sainte Anne University lighthouse

Street view shows the old lighthouse but I believe after it was damaged they built a new structure (photo).

SainteAnneLighthouse1000.JPG

Bangor saw mill outside Meteghan (no street view but link). When we do our local Mustang runs this is a spot we seem to always go to. The buckets on top of the building would have been filled with water. If a fire broke out the idea was to shoot holes in the buckets.

BangorMill1000.JPG

Other out of the way place is Comeau’s Hill past Yarmouth. Dirt at the end but has a small beach area.

ComeausHill1000.JPG

Bonus pic.

Last year after over 10,000 Km’s on the car looking for good shots, on Nov 10 I think I got the best photo of the year. This was taken in no other place than on my front lawn! Was working at home and saw the sun shining in the window so I pulled the car out of the garage for a shot under the tree. No street view but it is in Bear River. I could call it a mini run of 30 feet I suppose.

YellowMapleHouse1500.JPG

Happy Travels.

No pictures to offer but here goes
A one of the other places to visit when in the Canning / Lookoff area of the Valley is Blomidon Picnic Park. It’s a nice drive along the water, a 2nd gear climb to the park, a great view of the bay and a good downhill to listen to exhaust sounds. Not Mexico roads but scenic. You are also close to Halls Harbour - decent seafood and a great place to sit on a warm day and watch the Bay of Fundy tides.

Back